• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am just plain jealous of the free cash withdrawals at ATM's, the cheap auto insurance, the credit cards linked into the online checking account statements and billpay features, home insurance products, etc.

I am WAY too old to join the military, BTW.

Who's the next best one-stop shopping provider around? I am wanting to simplify my life and accounting. Their credit cards may not have rewards, but the simplicity and one-stop nature of the service is worth it to me in terms of saving my time.

Any ideas? I am in Texas, if that matters. Thanks!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
NO, but they are working on it....(just kidding)

craig10x (Jun. 14, 2008 @ 4:06p) |

I am a member of all of these as well. USAA is a great company, but for a long time, I used Liberty Mutual for car insu... (more)

HawkeyeNFO (Jun. 15, 2008 @ 11:30a) |

Who is Mary? Got any pics? Most of the women I see in uniform are anything but hot.

HawkeyeNFO (Jun. 15, 2008 @ 11:34a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

Move to Bexar county and you'll become eligible for USAA.
Still you won't become eligible for their insurance products, IIRC.

Navy Federal Credit Union is the next best. Unfortunately, it's restricted membership but you never know someone in your family may already be a member...

thanks for the replies. I was born in Bexar County, but do not have plans to move back. I happen to be dating a guy who qualifies, but being 'friends' is not enough - only spouses can get in that 'loophole.'

I wouldn't be too jealous. I have USAA and was excited about them at first when I married my wife 6 months ago (and thus got in), but their investment products have way too high of fees (use Vanguard), and their auto rates were too high for me (Allstate was better). Their mortgage had a good rate, but actually the service of it stunk. I think I just got a bad person, but I have heard that the USAA of today is not the same as it used to be. So, basically shop around and while you won't find as good of a one size fits all store, you will probably get the best of each need by going somewhere else. Just my opinion. Oh and the home insurance was too high as well. Allstate won again.

Wow - thanks Robby152. I appreciate the feedback. I think I most envy the simplicity of the online bill pay feature that handles mortgages, credit cards, checking and savings accounts all in one place, but did not realize that their products were not always competitive. Congrats on the marriage BTW!

darambo said: Wow - thanks Robby152. I appreciate the feedback. I think I most envy the simplicity of the online bill pay feature that handles mortgages, credit cards, checking and savings accounts all in one place, but did not realize that their products were not always competitive. Congrats on the marriage BTW!
AIG has great rates on both home and auto insurance. Bank of America has online billpay, although my preference is to have the creditor "pull" from my account, rather than use a 3rd-party bill-payer. This way if there's a snag, it will be the fault of the creditor themselves, and you shouldn't be penalized. And you can always use Yodlee to see all of your accounts in one place.

I recommend Pentagon Federal Credit Union, often abbreviated as PenFed here. I haven't tried their bill pay, but they have one of best Cash Back credit cards around (5% gas, 2% groceries, 1.25% everything else), their mortgage and auto loan rates are very competitive to say the least, you can get discounts on auto insurance, etc.

You don't have to be in the military to join; visit their web site, and search in this forum for additional details.

glxpass said: I recommend Pentagon Federal Credit Union, often abbreviated as PenFed here. I haven't tried their bill pay, but they have one of best Cash Back credit cards around (5% gas, 2% groceries, 1.25% everything else), their mortgage and auto loan rates are very competitive to say the least, you can get discounts on auto insurance, etc.

You don't have to be in the military to join; visit their web site, and search in this forum for additional details.

Thank You! I have heard of Pen Fed from this site, and will follow up on your helpful hint.

I definitely wouldn't sweat USAA ineligibility. I've had it since college, and always assumed that my auto insurance through them was unbeatable. Well, on a whim last night I got a quote from Geico--it came out to be about half of what I was paying with USAA! Identical coverages, limits, etc. I called USAA to see if they could match, and they said I was already getting every discount available. USAA's awesome customer service is not worth the ~$750/year I'll save with Geico.

Geico did say that they take into account your occupation, so maybe that helped (I'm an engineer and my wife is a lawyer).

wow...amazing!

I have USAA for insurance, banking and IRA's. I used to have a car loan but recently went with PENFED and refinanced it for 4.25. USAA may not be the cheapest in something but I have never had a problem with customer service. I rather pay more and get good customer service.

I'd suggest Alliant CU (read the fw thread)...excellent CU...very high share savings and cd rates (higher then USAA, actually) and easy membership qualification by joining your local PTA or the National PTA at their website....

I have no ax to grind against USAA, as i was one of the early civilian members...and they were great (before the new "anti non military" management took over in most recent times)....

I'm long gone from USAA....but i think you will like Alliant alot....it's an excellent substitute!

darambo said: Can't Get into USAA, What's Next Best Alternative?
Try getting into AA, AAA, AARP or even NAACP.

I've been with USAA now for about 23 years, but recently have become rather unimpressed. While their customer service is great as a whole, I had a bad claims experience (damaged engagement ring) recently.

I've never been impressed with their investment products - fees are way too high. I use Vanguard for my Roth.

Their auto and homeowners insurance rates are just not all that great any more, even after you factor in the annual dividend you get back (which seems to shrink the more I spend). I did a quick online auto quote and for the same coverage, I could probably save around $200 to $400/yr. I'm certainly considering switching this next year since my long history with USAA doesn't seem to matter much.

I've never used them for banking, but I use Fidelity and I'm perfect happy with their no-fee ATM and other services.

USAA is not the company it used to be.

USAA has been great for me in a few areas. Including car insurance, home insurance, umbrella insurance and basic checking. Their insurance might not be the cheapest but they, at least historically, have been slow to raise rates after tickets and so forth back when I was younger and stupider (a few minor traffic infractions, no accidents) they stood by me with low rates. My two friends with Gieco were thrown into the high risk pool real quick and ended up paying 4x for insurance what I did after a similar number of infractions. USAA isn't the cheapest (but usually close to it) for me but they were not that far off from other cheaper providers. For me the service has still been excellent.

For basic checking accounts the deposit@home feature and free ATM use are great benefits I use for my "everday money", but my savings are elsewhere where you can get much better deals. I also use their credit card for high risk purchases because they have gone to the floor for me in past chragebacks, they are also less likely to stick you for crazy fees (no exchange rate fees for overseas purchases for example). I agree their investments are not impressive overall, I do my investments elsewhere.

As others have stated you can do similar our better elsewhere, Amica insurance is usually only rated slightly behind USAA and is open to everyone as far as I know. I use USAA where it benefits me but it is not the be all and end all it is made out to be.

thank you for all the feedback and good ideas. I will probably follow up with Alliant because I need a new HYSA.

I recommend Pentagon Federal Credit Union for you. Fortunately, I'm a member of USAA, Navy Federal Credit Union, and PenFed. I love 'em all!

Thanks!

Mary a hot chick in the Military.

captainwho said: darambo said: Can't Get into USAA, What's Next Best Alternative?
Try getting into AA, AAA, AARP or even NAACP.

all joking aside, i'd carry the NAACP credit card (in spite of how low leadership has fallen), just for the collectibility aspect. does one exist?

jdogg99 said: I definitely wouldn't sweat USAA ineligibility. I've had it since college, and always assumed that my auto insurance through them was unbeatable. Well, on a whim last night I got a quote from Geico--it came out to be about half of what I was paying with USAA! Identical coverages, limits, etc. I called USAA to see if they could match, and they said I was already getting every discount available. USAA's awesome customer service is not worth the ~$750/year I'll save with Geico.

Geico did say that they take into account your occupation, so maybe that helped (I'm an engineer and my wife is a lawyer).

USAA has 2 completely separate insurance rates if you are an officer or NCO (<4yrs of service) you get in on their extremely good rates. If you personally don't meet those criteria they put you into a separate rate structure that is usually competitive but rarely the cheapest. I fall into the NCO category and have been unable to find anyone close to being as cheap as USAA for auto insurance but before I was eligible for the NCO rate I found all kinds of different places that were cheaper.

Their investments also waive part of the management fees (not sure on the basis though) but they still can't match Vanguard for things like S&P 500 index fund .30 before discount .19 after versus ~.10 for Vanguard.

I recommend against PenFed as an alternative to USAA.

Penfed does not refund ATM fees like USAA. PenFed participates in the fee-free AllPoint ATM network, which is a very good ATM network, but it is still not as good as being able to go to ANY ATM like with USAA.

I have dozens of accounts at dozens of banks, and PenFed has the most awkward web site. I suppose that's a small complaint, but I kind of cringe everytime I log in to PenFed to check my credit card activity.

Other than that, PenFed has fine loan products and credit cards, which is why I have accounts with them.

That's why Alliant would be a better choice then PenFed...first of all, Alliant's Share Savings is way higher then PedFeds (consistently), Alliant has an outstanding Online Banking interface that is a pleasure to use, Excellent 24/7 Customer Service and although they don't rebate atm fees either, they are on 4 surcharge free networks (ALLPOINT, COOP, CU24, ALLIANCE ONE) for a total of 75,000 surcharge free atms nationwide...so unless you are in a very rural type of area without much access to those network machines, you have TONS of FREE atms you can use......In fact, in most metropolitan or large population suburban areas, you may find them more convenient then going to a bank, since they are often in supermarkets, drug stores, department stores, convenience stores, gas stations, 7-11's, fast food restaurants, bars, etc. etc......

Plus easy membership...by joining your local or the national PTA.......

craig10x said: That's why Alliant would be a better choice then PenFed...first of all, Alliant's Share Savings is way higher then PedFeds (consistently), Alliant has an outstanding Online Banking interface that is a pleasure to use, Excellent 24/7 Customer Service and although they don't rebate atm fees either, they are on 4 surcharge free networks (ALLPOINT, COOP, CU24, ALLIANCE ONE) for a total of 75,000 surcharge free atms nationwide...so unless you are in a very rural type of area without much access to those network machines, you have TONS of FREE atms you can use......In fact, in most metropolitan or large population suburban areas, you may find them more convenient then going to a bank, since they are often in supermarkets, drug stores, department stores, convenience stores, gas stations, 7-11's, fast food restaurants, bars, etc. etc......

Ahhhh.... but does Alliant have a community room?

ThursdaysChild said: craig10x said: That's why Alliant would be a better choice then PenFed...first of all, Alliant's Share Savings is way higher then PedFeds (consistently), Alliant has an outstanding Online Banking interface that is a pleasure to use, Excellent 24/7 Customer Service and although they don't rebate atm fees either, they are on 4 surcharge free networks (ALLPOINT, COOP, CU24, ALLIANCE ONE) for a total of 75,000 surcharge free atms nationwide...so unless you are in a very rural type of area without much access to those network machines, you have TONS of FREE atms you can use......In fact, in most metropolitan or large population suburban areas, you may find them more convenient then going to a bank, since they are often in supermarkets, drug stores, department stores, convenience stores, gas stations, 7-11's, fast food restaurants, bars, etc. etc......

Ahhhh.... but does Alliant have a community room?

NO, but they are working on it....(just kidding)

kevinjjc said: I recommend Pentagon Federal Credit Union for you. Fortunately, I'm a member of USAA, Navy Federal Credit Union, and PenFed. I love 'em all!

I am a member of all of these as well. USAA is a great company, but for a long time, I used Liberty Mutual for car insurance, and Ameriprise for the Roth IRA. Within the past 2 months, I moved my IRA and car insurance to USAA. But I also took out a mortgage with PenFed, and just bought a new car using Navy Federal. To me it's all simple mathematics. Assuming service is the same, whoever leaves the most amount of money in my pocket gets my business.

Shop around.

fasttimes said: Mary a hot chick in the Military.

Who is Mary? Got any pics? Most of the women I see in uniform are anything but hot.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014