• filter:
  • 1119120121122 123
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
shinobi1 said:   I pay both my electric power and telephone/internet service bills each month using a CC.  

Don't know what companies you deal with but I checked some of my utility providers to see if I can use a credit card at no cost to pay my bill.

Pepco: no, you will be charged a convenience fee through Western Union Speedpay
Florida Power and Light: no, you will be charged a convenience fee through Western Union Speedpay
Dominion Power: no, $14.95 per business customer transaction
Washington Gas: no, Online Resources charges a $4.55 service fee to the user for this service

rated:
atikovi said:   
shinobi1 said:   I pay both my electric power and telephone/internet service bills each month using a CC.  

Don't know what companies you deal with but I checked some of my utility providers to see if I can use a credit card at no cost to pay my bill.

Pepco: no, you will be charged a convenience fee through Western Union Speedpay
Florida Power and Light: no, you will be charged a convenience fee through Western Union Speedpay
Dominion Power: no, $14.95 per business customer transaction
Washington Gas: no, Online Resources charges a $4.55 service fee to the user for this service

For me:
FPL: No.
LCEC: $5.50 service fee
Local water company: Yes, no fee
City water: Yes, also no fee
TECO: $4.95 fee

rated:
FPL takes Evolve Money payments which you can pay using Discover (no fee) now and in early 2015 they (EM) are supposed to begin taking MC and Visa.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1402768/ 

rated:
A765 said:   
clutchcargo777 said:   
A765 said:   Thanks, guys. I arrived at two days because the "transfer" I concocted is really two transfers, isn't it? Bank A to Alliant is one (that's one day); when the money shows up with Alliant I must transfer to Bank B--allow for another day = two days total. Or am I missing something?

Today I submitted my application and am sorry to say that things are not going smoothly. There was a problem. Someone will have to review my application and get back to me.

My first thought is that there was not enough time between when I submitted the application and when I donated to Foster Care, which I did as part of the application process. But I waited until receiving a confirmation e-mail from FC, and I called Alliant before submitting to make sure this wouldn't be a problem. For a while the representative and I seemed to have trouble understanding each other, but eventually she gave me the OK (Didn't she?) Alliant is supposed to get back to me in 48 hours. So we'll see.

As for the ACH limit, I haven't been able to find an exact number except for new accounts. Scanchain's figure is good to know.

Alliant's online application system is notoriously wonky.  I had the same problem.  It centered around the security questions.  As long as you don't have any negative Chex entries, you should be good.

Did they tell you to wait 48 hours? Or did I imagine that number? Today I called Alliant and was told that I will be notified by mail whether my application has been accepted. This is supposed to take 7-10 business days. The person I spoke to did not know where I got 48 hours from.

What happened in your case?

Sorry, I missed this.  I think I called a few days later and they said my membership was approved.  No auto approval on CC.  How did yours work out?

rated:
The Alliant savings and checking interest rates for December came through unchanged. 

rated:
nm

rated:
nm

rated:
I'm trying to get my mother-in-law an account at Alliant but she's telling me she's having trouble being accepted - says she's being required to fax in all sorts of documentation; bill copies, license copy, etc.

I've been a member for 6 years and have the memory of a fruitfly so I don't recall whether I had to send in a ton of documentation and ultimately she didn't qualify because she wasn't a member of a qualifying organization. Can any recent Alliant members comment on the process of joining? Is it a real hassle now? I thought that being related to me would be enough to qualify?

rated:
CowbellMaster said:   I'm trying to get my mother-in-law an account at Alliant but she's telling me she's having trouble being accepted - says she's being required to fax in all sorts of documentation; bill copies, license copy, etc.

I've been a member for 6 years and have the memory of a fruitfly so I don't recall whether I had to send in a ton of documentation and ultimately she didn't qualify because she wasn't a member of a qualifying organization. Can any recent Alliant members comment on the process of joining? Is it a real hassle now? I thought that being related to me would be enough to qualify?

Did she sign up for a qualifying organization? Easy to signup for the PTA or something similar listed in this thread.
Maybe she mistyped something in her application but it sounds like her identity got flagged by alliant.
I've had friends sign up recently with minimal hassle.

rated:
CowbellMaster said:   I'm trying to get my mother-in-law an account at Alliant but she's telling me she's having trouble being accepted - says she's being required to fax in all sorts of documentation; bill copies, license copy, etc.

I applied last week and donated $10 to Foster Care to Success. Alliant asked for a copy of my utility bill, mortgage statement, vehicle registration, OR voter registration. It's not a ton of documentation but still unusual for opening a savings account so I was also like "WTF?".  But if you search this thread, you will see that Alliant has been doing it this way for a long time.  I faxed it in and got approved the next day.  

rated:
Frankly, as an existing member of Alliant, I'm pleased they take the precautions they do.  When the credit union is cheated or loses money, it costs all of us . . . at least a little.  I'd rather they try hard to screen out undesirables, even if it means short term inconvenience for honest would-be joiners.

rated:
qcumber98 said:   

I applied last week and donated $10 to Foster Care to Success. Alliant asked for a copy of my utility bill, mortgage statement, vehicle registration, OR voter registration. It's not a ton of documentation but still unusual for opening a savings account so I was also like "WTF?".  But if you search this thread, you will see that Alliant has been doing it this way for a long time.  I faxed it in and got approved the next day.  

Weird, I joined last year via their web site and didn't have to jump through any of those hoops.  I even had an approval for a car loan less than 24 hours after applying online.

rated:
CowbellMaster said:    I had to send in a ton of documentation and ultimately she didn't qualify because she wasn't a member of a qualifying organization. Can any recent Alliant members comment on the process of joining? Is it a real hassle now? I thought that being related to me would be enough to qualify?
  She qualifies as a relative of you, a member. She doesn't need to join a qualifying organization. She just needs to give them your name and how you qualified.

rated:
I got my new debit/atm card in the mail recently... looks really nice! New design with large blue globe..card is blue and white...

By the way, just put the Alliant Mobile Banking app on my android phone (LG phone) and it works well, but the mobile deposit i find, is a bit tricky...i was able to get the images to load up to them but their computer would not immediately accept them and it was held for manual review...they did approve it this morning and the check was posted and made available...but i was wondering whether others who use it have had success with getting immediate acceptance of the mobile check deposits...Also, any "tips" would be welcome! 

rated:
Just a follow up...made several check deposits using the mobile web app on my android phone. Every one has been "held for review"...However, if you do it before 3 PM CST, it still gets reviewed and posted/credited the same day and immediate availability (i think up to $2500 and next day for any additional)...If it is after that time or on a weekend or holiday, then it would be next business day.

Also, the mobile deposit check image "posts" in your Alliant Online Banking. the next day (after about 10 AM CST) and you can click on the image and see how it looked to them.
Actually, it looked a lot better then what i saw on my phone screen...Not sure why their computer doesn't immediately accept it, but other then that minor aspect, it works well, and is an excellent way of making check deposits directly to Alliant. 

rated:
That's my experience with the mobile deposit too. Now for checks which I prefer to be credited the same day, I use a proper scanner to do the job.

rated:
Since i don't have a scanner on my computer, for me it's great to be able to do it with the phone 
Thanks for your input, scanchain...

rated:
Thats too bad. I much prefer the stand alone app to the general alliant app for depositing checks. I almost never have any held for review. You can normally check to see if they are readable if they are make sure the check has a green check mark by it.

rated:
@uscfsmitty: When you say "stand alone app", is there another app available just for the actual mobile deposit of a check at Alliant? I wasn't aware of any...

rated:
craig10x said:   @uscfsmitty: When you say "stand alone app", is there another app available just for the actual mobile deposit of a check at Alliant? I wasn't aware of any...
For Android there is the Mobile Deposit Android app. I'm not sure if Apple has a similar app. I've used it for quite a while (I believe this app was around before their Mobile Banking app included this functionality).

rated:
@jtdeals: Thanks for the info and the link....yes, i see it now...it's a separate (apparently 3rd party and not from alliant directly) app for the specific purpose of making the alliant mobile deposits...From the screenshots, it looks like it has enhancements that the Alliant app doesn't have...so, i'm guessing you guys find that this app gives you a better chance of sending up a deposit image that will be immediately accepted...

I have an android phone, so i will add it on and try and see if it is better...Out of curiousity, i checked and it is apparently also available on the apple site as well for iphones...

*Update: Installed the app and did a test deposit...first time i got Immediate Acceptance!   The first time i tried to do it, it actually TOLD ME what i was doing wrong, once i corrected that, it went in fine and was immediately approved...I like using Alliant's mobile banking app...just wish the deposit function worked as well as it does on this 3rd party app...

On the Alliant app, it held it for review every time, even though when i saw the posted deposit image in the internet banking, the image looked fine and very readable...
Will definitely keep and use it 

rated:
I recently signed up for membership. Everything was verified electronically and instantly. My credit reports are clean and I always make sure to type my address correctly each time. I didn't get a hard credit pull or anything but I'm sure they used some version of the info to verify my identity.

I used the app to deposit one check. It was held for a few days. I forget exactly how long. My first experience was with my small local bank with only a few branches. Their somewhat clunky app gave me full availability of funds as soon as it processed at night. All these other institutions seem to have complicated terms where you don't get your money for days. I think now that my account is not 3 days old, the holds are better though. Alliant is definitely above average with funds availability.

rated:
I went back to using Alliant's mobile banking app for the check deposits...mostly because even though it always seems to hold it for review, the actual quality of the image when it POSTS in your online banking is usually superior to the 3rd party app that just does the deposits...

Even with the review, if you do the deposit before 3 PM CST, it usually gets reviewed and the money is available, within a few hours, anyway (and if after that time, or on a weekend or holiday, the next business day)...

I did send them a secure e-mail and they said they would look into it, so hopefully, that aspect will eventually improve...but it's still a pretty convenient way to make a check deposit to Alliant Cu...
I mentioned that even though the final POSTED image is usually very clear and acceptable, for some strange reason, the app always seems to like to "hold for review"...
All the other functions in Alliant Mobile banking work very well...

Alliant IS very good with funds availability...normally, the first $2500 is immediately available and the the rest would be next day...

rated:
Just curious...is there a maximum amount on the mobile check deposit, that you can deposit each day?
edit: I checked with them through the secure e-mail. It is a maximum of $20,000 deposit per day on Mobile Check Deposit...

rated:
I haven't had a problem with Alliant's bill pay system. I've had some poor scheduling on my part, but that's certainly not their fault.

rated:
Just joined Alliant -- made the $10 donation ... but getting $20 back from referrals (the person that provided me his referral link gets $10, I'll earn $10 for joining and another $10 from referring a friend who just joined.

I've been pleased with how quickly funds become available -- next day!!! I like their mobile app for MO's. Don't want to do e-deposits (where you need to send in the physical checks). After I did my first deposit, they deposited a $50 bonus in my savings account. Was totally surprised.

rated:
ttfnbliss said:   Just joined Alliant -- made the $10 donation ... but getting $20 back from referrals (the person that provided me his referral link gets $10, I'll earn $10 for joining and another $10 from referring a friend who just joined.

I've been pleased with how quickly funds become available -- next day!!! I like their mobile app for MO's. Don't want to do e-deposits (where you need to send in the physical checks). After I did my first deposit, they deposited a $50 bonus in my savings account. Was totally surprised.

It's good you joined.  Alliant might not be a perfect financial institution.  But speaking overall, it's about as close to perfect as exists right now.  I've been a member for a while, and I've no plans to look elsewhere for a personal financial hub.

rated:
FYI Fellow Alliant Members, From the Alliant Home Page http://www.alliantcreditunion.org

On Sunday, December 21 from 12:00am (CDT) to 7:00am, Alliant Credit Union will be performing system maintenance. During this time, Alliant Online and Mobile Banking and Self Service Telephone will not be available. The 24/7 Member Contact Center will not be able to assist members with any account specific questions or transactions, but will be available for general support. Your Alliant Visa credit card transactions will not be impacted; however, your Alliant Visa debit card transactions may be limited. We appreciate your patience as we upgrade and enhance our system capability and functionality.

rated:
fwuser59 said:   FYI Fellow Alliant Members, From the Alliant Home Page http://www.alliantcreditunion.org 

On Sunday, December 21 from 12:00am (CDT) to 7:00am, Alliant Credit Union will be performing system maintenance. During this time, Alliant Online and Mobile Banking and Self Service Telephone will not be available. The 24/7 Member Contact Center will not be able to assist members with any account specific questions or transactions, but will be available for general support. Your Alliant Visa credit card transactions will not be impacted; however, your Alliant Visa debit card transactions may be limited. We appreciate your patience as we upgrade and enhance our system capability and functionality.

They do system maintenance fairly often. It's never been a disturbance for me.

rated:
What do you think Alliant will do, if anything, about their savings account rate?  With recent increases elsewhere, 0.80% is looking lower with each passing day.  I like Alliant, so I'm not gonna scram if they do not have the absolute highest rate on liquid money.  But I do need them at least to be competitive.

Alliant's savings rate for January should be announced shortly.  After that it will be decision time.

rated:
Craig used to always post their new rates a few days early. Oh for the old days when we would see those rates rise....

rated:
lol...yes i did, pattyB but it's been a long time since they had those top rates so i stopped checking...
By the way, just did a check deposit using the mobile banking and for the first time, got "deposit successful"...they must have taken a look at the function and made it to work better...

The rates decent...but very true... not the "top of the pack" like they use to be...Meanwhile, decided to give UFB Direct a shot...setting up the checking and the savings...will see how that goes...
I'd never abandon Alliant (like them too much) but i have a lot of money and am trying to maximize my interest right now...

rated:
I opened the savings at UFB Direct also. 1.25% for liquid is good, hope it lasts for a long time.
But, I always keep my Alliant CU account.

rated:
Not really looking to Alliant for a rate like UFB or some sort of "top rate".  Just want a rate that is a bit more competitive.  I'd be happy if Alliant matched Ally at 0.99%.  There are real advantages to having money with Alliant.  Those advantages offset some loss of yield.  But Alliant's advantages can only stretch so far.

We'll see what they do for January.  It's not going to be a long wait to find out.  I'd never leave Alliant.  That would be crazy.  But a portion of my money might leave if they do not address this situation.

rated:
I decided to give usb direct a spin because of both the rate and it looked like an interesting set up to me (with both the high yield savings and the checking set-up)...but like you guys, would never leave Alliant...even as a hub, it's hard to beat and they do have so many nice features...

rated:
Why do you guys keep so much in cash? Alliant had the best rate for a while - I'll stick with them - but my surplus funds get invested, not in savings or checking acct

rated:
shinobi1 said:   What do you think Alliant will do, if anything, about their savings account rate?  With recent increases elsewhere, 0.80% is looking lower with each passing day.  I like Alliant, so I'm not gonna scram if they do not have the absolute highest rate on liquid money.  But I do need them at least to be competitive.

Alliant's savings rate for January should be announced shortly.  After that it will be decision time.

Planning to move some money to Ally from Alliant if rates dont increase this time.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1119120121122 123
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014