• filter:
  • 1122123124125 126
  • Page
  • Previous 40
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I was approved for an Alliant Rewards Visa a week ago. Today I got a congratulations letter/welcome packet saying my card would be arriving within 3 weeks. Well, there goes a full third of the 90-day signup bonus period. Very frustrating, considering I applied on Friday night and received an email Saturday morning saying I was approved and my card would arrive in 7-10 business days. I thought the whole thing would be quick, but I should have known better when the card did not appear anywhere in my account information until 5 days after approval, nor was my application status ever updated to approved.

Interestingly, the welcome packet makes no mention at all of the signup bonus I was offered with my preapproval letter and email (10,000 points, $500 spend within 90 days of account opening).

rated:
Was forced to use an out of network ATM a few days ago. $3 fee at the ATM and I just discovered my local bank increased the foreign ATM fee to $3.

So $6 just to take some money out. I think it's time to switch everything over to Alliant. Am I right in assuming this transaction would have been free had I used an Alliant ATM?

rated:
CowbellMaster said:   Was forced to use an out of network ATM a few days ago. $3 fee at the ATM and I just discovered my local bank increased the foreign ATM fee to $3.

So $6 just to take some money out. I think it's time to switch everything over to Alliant. Am I right in assuming this transaction would have been free had I used an Alliant ATM?

Wells Fargo charged me $3 to take out of their ATM with the Alliant card. Alliant credited the $3 the next day.

rated:
You assume right CowbellMaster...Using alliant's debit/atm card at that out of network atm would have cost you nothing from the Alliant Cu side (they charge no fee for any atm you use on their end) and since they also rebate up to $20 in atm surcharge fees each month, the fee the other bank charged would be refunded by Alliant by the next business day!

In addition, when you use any of the 80,000 or so surcharge free network atms that you see on the website (using the atm locator) those atms wouldn't even add a fee when you use your Alliant card there...so those don't even COUNT toward your monthly $20 rebate total...

rated:
I just checked with Alliant CU (through secure e-mail as i was asking about some other things, anyway) and asked about the Savings Rate for the month of April and they confirmed that it will be remaining at .90% apy.

rated:
Any promotional offer for new member (savings & checking account)?

rated:
Is the ATM Deposit limit for checks at a Co-op ATM still 20K?

rated:
CSREwallet said:   Any promotional offer for new member (savings & checking account)?
There's a targeted $50 offer for checking. I can't seem to find the postcard.

rated:
Just curious...when i do a mobile deposit with Alliant mobile banking, it mentions that maximum deposit is $20,000...Does that mean $20,000 per DAY or PER CHECK?
Anyone know? I was wondering if i could deposit 2 checks with mobile deposit for $20,000 each in the same day...

edit: Just checked with them via secure e-mail...it's a maximum of $20,000 per day, total deposits...however, if you are also near an atm which accepts deposits for Alliant, you can do up to an additional $20,000 at the atm as well...

rated:
Looking at increasing my deposit value and daily checking with Alliant. How does everyone feel about the products and services they offer?

rated:
Alliant's fee disclosure indicates that they charge $10 for replacing lost debit/credit cards. Can anyone verify if you've actually been charged this fee? (If you lost it and needed it overnighted, did they also charge you the extra $18 for overnighting?)

I've never lost a card yet, but find being charged to replace one pretty crappy when there isn't another way to get your money out of them.

Also, what's the FTF on the debit card? The disclosures just say "an International Transaction Fee" will be charged but don't say how much it is.

rated:
batman0023 said:   Looking at increasing my deposit value and daily checking with Alliant. How does everyone feel about the products and services they offer?
Alliant is number one, the best of the best.  I joined a bit before starting this thread.  No regrets at all over those years.  Have absolutely no intention of going elsewhere.

Why step down?

rated:
@gergles: never lost a card but i have requested replacements for damaged cards and there was no charge for that...you could secure e-mail them about lost/stolen cards and see what they say, and post back here to let us know...I notice in the fee schedule that there is a $10 charge listed for a lost card but i can tell you they don't charge for damaged cards and i am sure there wouldn't be a fee if the card was stolen...Of course, with a damaged card, they don't need to have a new card number issued...but with a lost or stolen card they do...

@batman0023: Alliant is great...i've hopped around but always ended coming back to them and now i decided to settle in...they are one of the best around...and with lots of great features, like excellent savings and checking rates, vast free atm coverage (and now rebates too) high transfer amounts allowed on ach and fast (1 business day) transfers, really nice online banking and bill pay as well as mobile banking and mobile deposits...an excellent bank (well actually credit union...lol) for all around use...and i keep a LOT of money with them...
Customer Service is nice also and i love using the secure e-mail in the online banking when i have a question or concern...

Also, they don't play those games like some banks do and draw in the rate chasers...their rates are very consistent and stable...

rated:
But, but, but... Craig..  This is Bank5 Connect from Massachusetts calling.. does this mean we're all through?!  Just like that, after last month?  That you never really loved me?  What will I do, where will I go (back to Tara, perhaps)?

Just kidding - more or less.

More to the point, I've also been with Alliant CU for several years and have zero regrets.  Can't ask for a better all-purpose financial institution.  Nuts and bolts, can't be beat.

The closest Alliant has ever come to charging me a fee was when I was overseas, a deposit was not made as it should have been, and I was charged $3 for an automated funds transfer from savings to checking to cover.  When I called to apologize, Alliant actually offered to reimburse the $3.  Compare this to Bank of America, Citi or any of the other predators out there.     

That being said I do stray from time to time, and have other accounts in other financial institutions, but for specific purposes.  I doubt I'm the Lone Ranger here - I mean, who holds only one stock?  Or one bond, ETF, etc?  Is that diversification?  I think not.

There was a time around 2007, I think, that PenFed CU offered 6.50% 4-year CDs.  Regrets in going to PenFed for these?   Only that I did not grab the 7-year, 6.75% ones that my buddy did. 

And, absolutely no regrets on riding the interest rates down with the "rate insurance" of  NWFCU's add-on CDs from 2008 to about 2012 - 2013. 

So, viva la Alliant.

rated:
I love Alliant. I always wonder why, if Alliant can do it, why can't anyone else be this awesome.

rated:
Same here...been very happy with Alliant. Was with DCU before that and was happy with them until they messed up their ACH software and somehow managed to make it worse.

Still, if Alliant offered the 3 things I miss (which I listed earlier in this thread), I could never even be bothered to look elsewhere.

rated:
Alliant kicked me out this month. So sad!

rated:
OIiverQuackenbush said:   Alliant kicked me out this month. So sad!
  They kicked you out? Can you elaborate?

rated:
At fw9999: Too Funny    Yes, i fooled around but now i have come back to the reliable one...can she ever forgive me? 

Seriously though, although there were aspects of Bank5 i really liked, i did not like the super low external ach transfer system, also i noticed that electronic bill pays take longer then alliant's bill pay does...and while the online banking interface is very attractive looking, i do like the simplicity of Alliant's (even though it is a bit plainer looking of course)...I also liked that Alliant has more surcharge free atm networks (Bank 5 only has SUM which is much more limited then COOP and ALLPOINT) and Alliant even beats them out on atm surcharge refunds (higher $ amount)....

I'd say the main thing that attracted me to them was the private insurance on top of the FDIC standard coverage...i recently inherited quite a bit of money that puts me way way over the normal limits and didn't want to have to set up a number of different accounts. However, i discovered an easy way of greatly increasing my NCUA insurance with Alliant (through a clever set up of beneficiaries) and once i did that, i closed my Bank5 accounts...
Now i can stay with Alliant CU and not have to roam...

rated:
Been with Alliant since 2008 and they are still my main bank; they have been great. Customer service is always top notch and you get through by phone quickly to a stateside CSR. Admittedly, I have at times parked significant savings elsewhere where it earned a better yield but since the .9% apy change Ive brought my savings back (could still earn slightly more elsewhere but makes life easier having it with Alliant). The only thing that I do not like about them is that they don't have a shared branching agreement which means that you cannot walk into a co-op CU branch and bank. You can use the ATM though. Only times Ive needed it is when Ive wanted to pull more cash out than an ATM would allow and when I wanted to deposit a large amount of cash but not stand outside at an ATM.

rated:
Threatened to close the acct if continue to ms. Wasn't even really using them but they said they knew from watching other accts. Is that possible?

rated:
levwus said:   Threatened to close the acct if continue to ms. Wasn't even really using them but they said they knew from watching other accts. Is that possible?  

I don't understand. Alliant's credit cards aren't that generous.

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   
levwus said:   Threatened to close the acct if continue to ms. Wasn't even really using them but they said they knew from watching other accts. Is that possible?

They do have activatable offers that can boost the rate above 10%.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
tjguitar85 said:   

Would you be willing to elaborate?

rated:
clutchcargo777 said:   I love Alliant. I always wonder why, if Alliant can do it, why can't anyone else be this awesome.
Of the several recent posts, I find your post the most insightful.  I agree with you, and in fact your post alone brings to light my principal concern about Alliant:

They have almost nowhere to go but down.

As another poster mentioned about DCU, if Alliant starts messing with their product it almost surely will become worse.  This is 2015.  People change jobs and new brooms oftentimes have an urge to "sweep clean".  New people think that they're smarter than the last guy and that their unique genius can improve upon Alliant's existing perfection.  New people want to "earn their spurs" and vie for promotions and higher salaries.

Bottom line, Alliant has been really good for a long, long time.  I have to wonder how much longer we have until some idiot comes along and messes things up big time.  I cannot tell you how often this has happened to me within other contexts.  Anybody remember "new Coke"?  

As for the inability of other financial institutions to come close to Alliant, I can neither explain nor account for this.  Alliant for now appears to have found the "magic formula".  How much longer they will stay on top is another question entirely.  When you have nowhere to go but down, you're actually in a rather precarious spot!!  

rated:
iLoveTahoe said:   
stanolshefski said:   
tjguitar85 said:   

Right now there are offers for Toys R Us (non-activatable) for 10 extra points for a purchase over $30 (up to a $75 purchase). There's also an offer for CVS for an extra 5 points/$ for purchases over $25 (this one has a limit of something like 2,000 total extra points), and an offer for Kohls for an extra 11/$ or 12/$ for purchases over $25 (up to a total of 10,000 extra points).

Two of those three sell VGCs, and all three sell a slew of retail and dining gift cards.

rated:
Just got the email that I'm in. Looking forward to giving them a try as my new 'hub' institution, though I still plan on keeping Schwab around for the ability to pay 0 FTF when overseas.

Especially interesting to me, since Bank5 Connect refused me an account (and sent me a Chex decline letter... still waiting on the report to figure out WTF they're on about) but Alliant's process has been smooth sailing so far. I wasn't able to fund the accounts (they wanted ID verification), so we'll see how smoothly that process goes, but given the speed they handled ID verification, I'm optimistic.

rated:
Very happy Alliant customer..Joined 5 years back due to this great forum.
Recently had a stop payment charge - Talked to them and they removed it as a one time courtesy.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
iLoveTahoe said:   
stanolshefski said:   
tjguitar85 said:   

Right now there are offers for Toys R Us (non-activatable) for 10 extra points for a purchase over $30 (up to a $75 purchase). There's also an offer for CVS for an extra 5 points/$ for purchases over $25 (this one has a limit of something like 2,000 total extra points), and an offer for Kohls for an extra 11/$ or 12/$ for purchases over $25 (up to a total of 10,000 extra points).

Two of those three sell VGCs, and all three sell a slew of retail and dining gift cards.

Where do you see these offers? I've never heard of anything like this.

Edit: Ah - there in the Rewards section. There's also a 10 pts per dollar at Chevron up to 4000 pts  It says that gift card purchases are not eligible and that the offer is limited to one time use.

rated:
gergles said:   
OIiverQuackenbush said:   Alliant kicked me out this month. So sad!
  They kicked you out? Can you elaborate?

Yeah, same question here.  Can you tell us what happened regarding this? 

rated:
You guys will be able to keep your Alliant accounts. You just can't be a heavy hitter and use Alliant for ms activities or they will kick you out.

rated:
Appreciate  the info.... but still looking for "clarification", so to speak. 

Can you either PM (Private Mail) me the info concerning what you consider "ms" activities, and how Alliant reacted because of it - or simply respond here, whichever you choose...

rated:
Well the cancellation letter says "ongoing pattern of suspicious deposit and withdrawl activity". However, my suspicion is that they found out about my affiliation with churnclub.com and got nervous and shut me down for that, but they would never admit it!

rated:
OIiverQuackenbush said:   Well the cancellation letter says "ongoing pattern of suspicious deposit and withdrawl activity". However, my suspicion is that they found out about my affiliation with churnclub.com and got nervous and shut me down for that, but they would never admit it!
  They would shut you down only for actual suspicious activity with Alliant, not your affiliation with anything.

Credit unions are not designed for very wealthy customers or to be used as a hub or for manufactured spending. They are "not-for-profit" institutions that do not charge a lot for basic services and return profits to members in terms of interest rates and benefits.  If what you were doing cost Alliant a lot in transfer or other processing fees with no benefit to them, then it was unhelpful to Alliant and all your fellow members.

rated:
OIiverQuackenbush said:   Well the cancellation letter says "ongoing pattern of suspicious deposit and withdrawl activity". However, my suspicion is that they found out about my affiliation with churnclub.com and got nervous and shut me down for that, but they would never admit it!
"Churnclub.com"?  Give us all a break, Oliver.

Back in the day when I was a young lad, "trolling" was in fact quite a respectable activity.  In fact, I caught the largest freshwater fish of my lifetime (so far, anyway!)  while "trolling" in upper Minnesota - a huge Muskie.  Wish that I had had him mounted, but at least I still have the photos - and the memories...

While you  - apparently  - have the 2015 version of trolling.

Good luck, Oliver.

rated:
fw9999 said:   
"Churnclub.com"?  Give us all a break, Oliver.

Back in the day when I was a young lad, "trolling" was in fact quite a respectable activity.  In fact, I caught the largest freshwater fish of my lifetime (so far, anyway!)  while "trolling" in upper Minnesota - a huge Muskie.  Wish that I had had him mounted, but at least I still have the photos - and the memories...

While you  - apparently  - have the 2015 version of trolling.

Good luck, Oliver.

Not 100% sure what you are saying.  You do not think Alliant closed my account?  I could care less if you do not believe me.  Besides, you need not worry about suffering the same fate since I suspect that you will never approach the volume of financial activity necessary to raise a red flag on anyone's radar.

rated:
OK, Oliver, just could not resist.  I went to "churnclub.com".  Very impressive.

The portly fellow in the lavender hat with the big cigar - is that you?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1122123124125 126
  • Page
  • Previous 40

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015