• filter:
  • 1118119120121 122
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
pattyB said:   This is a Trust Account with POD's. So it is fully insured.
Good to hear!   As long as it has 3 POD eligible beneficiaries (not including owner) you are (eventually) good to go if the institution collapses tonight. 

rated:
@Argyll: The rep you spoke to was correct...I was going to phone today also but i got a reply from the same rep that answered my secure e-mail yesterday and here is what it said:
(I was glad to read this because i usually do make my withdrawals from the savings side of the debit card)...

I apologize for the misinformation, which I provided to you yesterday. You can actually get re-imbursed from your Savings Account as well as the Checking Account when you do an ATM withdrawal with your debit card. However the fee would get re-imbursed to your Checking Account at the end of the business day.

rated:
I have been a Alliant member for 5 years but only recently decided to try out the it's billpay.

Can anyone tell me if the billpay is by check, would I be able to know if/when the payee cashes the check?

I had been using Incredible bank's billpay where the amount is debited from the account only then the payee cashes the check (very nice). It appears that at Alliant, the amount is debited from the account the moment it is sent. 

rated:
Yes, they do debit the amount for all bill payments (whether electronic or paper check) right away, but you will know when the paper check has cleared. In the "bill payment activity" section, you will see the word "cleared" and also a copy of the cleared checked image, which you can save as a pdf file or print if you like (or just view of course).
It will be under a tab called "more" (in other words, more information...lol)...It will show the date cleared and if you click on the check number it will display the cleared check...

By the way, when you first set up your bill pays, you may get the impression that they will all go by paper check, but actually, once the first one is being sent, those that can go electronic will automatically switch to that mode...

rated:
Is the daily deposit limit still $20,000 for eDepositPlus and ATM deposits?

rated:
@craig10x: thanks for the explanation.

@beethovengirl: $20k is my limit as well. For me, when I deposit a large check at the ATM, the first $7.5k is available immediately; the remainder is available in two business days. I think the holds for eDepositPlus is a little worse off.

rated:
Glitch99 said:   
pattyB said:   
atikovi said:   
pattyB said:   have ACH'd the funds into Alliant. ($600K)
  
Why on earth would you put $600,000 into a bank account earning just 0.70%?

  I don't plan to keep the money in Alliant for long.  My question is how can I transfer $100K more than 6 times a month out of Alliant? ( I have already use the ACH transfer 2 times this month)
There is a 2%CD for 15 months that I plan to move $500K soon.

  The limit of 6 per month is withdrawals from the savings account.  Just move the money to the checking account, and you can make as many withdrawals as you want.  It isn't a limit on ACH transfers.

  I think I will transfer the funds to Checking, then write a large check and snail mail to bank offering the 2% 15month CD. 
After transferring funds from savings to checking, it will only allow $100K to be ACH'ed out.  Question, can I make more than 6 transfers a month from the Checking?

rated:
pattyB said:   
Glitch99 said:   
pattyB said:   
atikovi said:   
pattyB said:   have ACH'd the funds into Alliant. ($600K)
  
Why on earth would you put $600,000 into a bank account earning just 0.70%?

  I don't plan to keep the money in Alliant for long.  My question is how can I transfer $100K more than 6 times a month out of Alliant? ( I have already use the ACH transfer 2 times this month)
There is a 2%CD for 15 months that I plan to move $500K soon.

  The limit of 6 per month is withdrawals from the savings account.  Just move the money to the checking account, and you can make as many withdrawals as you want.  It isn't a limit on ACH transfers.

  I think I will transfer the funds to Checking, then write a large check and snail mail to bank offering the 2% 15month CD. 
After transferring funds from savings to checking, it will only allow $100K to be ACH'ed out.  Question, can I make more than 6 transfers a month from the Checking?

  Yes!  That's the entire point - the daily ACH limits still apply, but you aren't limited to the 6 savings account withdrawals per month.  The "6 transfer" limit is regarding withdrawals from the savings account (and is true with any savings account at any bank), and has nothing to do with ACH transfers - Even if you are just transferring money from savings to checking, you are still limited to 6 withdrawals/month.  Checking accounts do not have this limit.

rated:
Of course you could also put it in savings and do more then 6 transfers to checking if you do it at an atm machine (since that doesn't have the 6 per month federal restriction. And then, transfer out from checking using ACH but why go through all the bother, Glitch99's idea is probably best since Checking has no limits as to the number of times each month...

Also, as a side note...i tested the atm rebates today! Made 1 Checking withdrawal and 1 Savings Withdrawal using my Alliant Debit Card at the same ATM (which is not in the surcharge free networks and charges $2.25 per withdrawal).

Both were credited back to my Checking Account at the end of the day (as a total of $4.50)...but it doesn't happen until well after midnight...i just happened to check around 1:30 AM and saw it in my transactions list in the online banking...

Not sure how it will work if it isn't a business day, but bottom line, you do get the rebates back fairly quick and don't have to wait to the end of the statement period like many banks with rebates do it...So, another PLUS for Alliant! 

rated:
scanchain said:   I have been a Alliant member for 5 years but only recently decided to try out the it's billpay.

Can anyone tell me if the billpay is by check, would I be able to know if/when the payee cashes the check?

I had been using Incredible bank's billpay where the amount is debited from the account only then the payee cashes the check (very nice). It appears that at Alliant, the amount is debited from the account the moment it is sent. 

  
It depends on your payee.  For me, especially the first time for any payee, Alliant threatens to send a check.  But in reality, they almost never do, not even the first time.

That said, I'm sure there are situations where they will send a check.  But it has not happened to me.

I like the Alliant bill pay service.  Like most other "money movement" stuff at Alliant, the bill pay service is very fast.  

rated:
The way I remember the Reg D 6 withdrawals/transfer limit is, if you can do it from your couch, (phone, online) it counts against the 6. If you have to get off the couch (in person, ATM) it does not.

rated:
shinobi1 said:   
scanchain said:   I have been a Alliant member for 5 years but only recently decided to try out the it's billpay.

Can anyone tell me if the billpay is by check, would I be able to know if/when the payee cashes the check?

I had been using Incredible bank's billpay where the amount is debited from the account only then the payee cashes the check (very nice). It appears that at Alliant, the amount is debited from the account the moment it is sent. 

  
It depends on your payee.  For me, especially the first time for any payee, Alliant threatens to send a check.  But in reality, they almost never do, not even the first time.
be 
That said, I'm sure there are situations where they will send a check.  But it has not happened to me.

I like the Alliant bill pay service.  Like most other "money movement" stuff at Alliant, the bill pay service is very fast.  

I know for some of the bills that I'm paying, they will by check (e.g. to my gardener). Does anyone know if the payment to Wells Fargo Mortgage will be electronic? Right now it is showing by check and I don't really like that.

 

rated:
Unless someone knows and can post that answer for you scanchain, what you could do is try just the first one and see what happens...if it can go electronic, it will automatically switch to it as the first payment is actually sent out...If those payments usually go electronic with most bill pay services, the odds are pretty good that it will also go electronic with Alliant's Bill Pay service as well...

Using Alliant's Bill Pay, it does electronic payments for my payees: Chase Credit Card, Discover Credit Card, Amex Credit Card, Time Warner Cable, and also Verizon (home phone service) which i dropped some time ago,  and the only one that goes paper check is my landlord, who does not accept electronic payments from bill pay services...When i set them all up originally, they all said paper check and all but the landlord switched over when the first payments were actually sent...

Best way to confirm is to do a test payment...

rated:
craig10x said:   Of course you could also put it in savings and do more then 6 transfers to checking if you do it at an atm machine (since that doesn't have the 6 per month federal restriction. And then, transfer out from checking using ACH but why go through all the bother, Glitch99's idea is probably best since Checking has no limits as to the number of times each month...

Also, as a side note...i tested the atm rebates today! Made 1 Checking withdrawal and 1 Savings Withdrawal using my Alliant Debit Card at the same ATM (which is not in the surcharge free networks and charges $2.25 per withdrawal).

Both were credited back to my Checking Account at the end of the day (as a total of $4.50)...but it doesn't happen until well after midnight...i just happened to check around 1:30 AM and saw it in my transactions list in the online banking...

Not sure how it will work if it isn't a business day, but bottom line, you do get the rebates back fairly quick and don't have to wait to the end of the statement period like many banks with rebates do it...So, another PLUS for Alliant! 

 I'm doing as Glitch suggested.  Today I transferred $300K from Savings to Checking.  Then I transferred 3 times $100K out of Checking and ACH'ed to another establishment.  So I'll wait to see if it counted on the 6 per month on Fed Restrictions.

rated:
In the other thread, someone mentioned Alliant now only do soft pull on EQ when open checking account and membership. Anyone else notice that?

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1390782/?newest=1#last 

Also, even though Alliant ATM is fee-free but do they have foreign currency exchange fee (like 1%) when using foreign ATM machine?

rated:
pattyB said:   
craig10x said:   Of course you could also put it in savings and do more then 6 transfers to checking if you do it at an atm machine (since that doesn't have the 6 per month federal restriction. And then, transfer out from checking using ACH but why go through all the bother, Glitch99's idea is probably best since Checking has no limits as to the number of times each month...

Also, as a side note...i tested the atm rebates today! Made 1 Checking withdrawal and 1 Savings Withdrawal using my Alliant Debit Card at the same ATM (which is not in the surcharge free networks and charges $2.25 per withdrawal).

Both were credited back to my Checking Account at the end of the day (as a total of $4.50)...but it doesn't happen until well after midnight...i just happened to check around 1:30 AM and saw it in my transactions list in the online banking...

Not sure how it will work if it isn't a business day, but bottom line, you do get the rebates back fairly quick and don't have to wait to the end of the statement period like many banks with rebates do it...So, another PLUS for Alliant! 

 I'm doing as Glitch suggested.  Today I transferred $300K from Savings to Checking.  Then I transferred 3 times $100K out of Checking and ACH'ed to another establishment.  So I'll wait to see if it counted on the 6 per month on Fed Restrictions.

As mentioned before, there is no limitation to the number of ACH out transfers from a checking account.

rated:
pattyB said:    I'm doing as Glitch suggested.  Today I transferred $300K from Savings to Checking.  Then I transferred 3 times $100K out of Checking and ACH'ed to another establishment.  So I'll wait to see if it counted on the 6 per month on Fed Restrictions.
  
If you didn't know, the Account Details section of your Savings account shows the number of transactions counted (No. of Electronic/Phone transfer made month-to-date) and remaining (No. of Electronic/Phone transfer remaining month-to-date) against your account.  There is no corresponding section for your Checking account.

rated:
pattyB said:   
craig10x said:   Of course you could also put it in savings and do more then 6 transfers to checking if you do it at an atm machine (since that doesn't have the 6 per month federal restriction. And then, transfer out from checking using ACH but why go through all the bother, Glitch99's idea is probably best since Checking has no limits as to the number of times each month...

Also, as a side note...i tested the atm rebates today! Made 1 Checking withdrawal and 1 Savings Withdrawal using my Alliant Debit Card at the same ATM (which is not in the surcharge free networks and charges $2.25 per withdrawal).

Both were credited back to my Checking Account at the end of the day (as a total of $4.50)...but it doesn't happen until well after midnight...i just happened to check around 1:30 AM and saw it in my transactions list in the online banking...

Not sure how it will work if it isn't a business day, but bottom line, you do get the rebates back fairly quick and don't have to wait to the end of the statement period like many banks with rebates do it...So, another PLUS for Alliant! 

 I'm doing as Glitch suggested.  Today I transferred $300K from Savings to Checking.  Then I transferred 3 times $100K out of Checking and ACH'ed to another establishment.  So I'll wait to see if it counted on the 6 per month on Fed Restrictions.

  The transfer from savings to checking counted as one transfer.  The rest happened in your checking account, thus had nothing to do with your savings account limits.

rated:
Glitch99 is quite correct...you did do the 1 transfer from savings to checking which counts toward the 6 limit, but once it was in checking, you are not subject to any limits...checking accounts are not subjected to the 6 limit...in fact, they couldn't function if they were...

By the way, i did do one last atm rebate test...i made just 1 withdrawal today from the savings side of my debit card (today was a holiday) because it wanted to see what would happen in a holiday or weekend situation...the rebate was still automatically re-credited to the checking account side, after midnight...keep in mind of course, that Allliant Cu is in the CENTRAL time zone of course...So, it's a very fast and automatic and reliable process...

rated:
Just in case people don't know but wire money out of saving account did not count against the 6 withdraw limit for me. The cost was $25 domestic.

rated:
craig10x said:   By the way, i did do one last atm rebate test...i made just 1 withdrawal today from the savings side of my debit card (today was a holiday) because it wanted to see what would happen in a holiday or weekend situation...the rebate was still automatically re-credited to the checking account side, after midnight...keep in mind of course, that Allliant Cu is in the CENTRAL time zone of course...So, it's a very fast and automatic and reliable process...
  Thanks for posting the results of all your tests. Hopefully this reduces many other similar tests. Each test costs Alliant money.

rated:
@scanchain: you are very welcome...and that is very true, so i figured i'd be the official tester for the Alliant Cu thread so everyone would know without having to do their own testing which as you said, costs them money of course 

By the way, it's very likely that your mortgage payment (since it is to a huge bank like Wells Fargo) will go electronic but with Alliant Bill Pay, it's easy enough to do a small test for the first payment to make sure...

rated:
craig10x said:   @scanchain: you are very welcome...and that is very true, so i figured i'd be the official tester for the Alliant Cu thread so everyone would know without having to do their own testing which as you said, costs them money of course 

By the way, it's very likely that your mortgage payment (since it is to a huge bank like Wells Fargo) will go electronic but with Alliant Bill Pay, it's easy enough to do a small test for the first payment to make sure...

I scheduled a full payment for next month. The last time I tried something like that (a small,partial mortgage payment), it got credited as an additional payment towards principal. It messes up my mortgage loan tracking.

rated:
Very Good..but now you have my curiousity up so after the payment goes through, let us know how it went through...my intuition tells me it will very likely go electronic, especially if it has done so using other bill payment services...

rated:
You'll be hit with at 1% exchange fee, yes.  I got it when I went to a fee-free ATM in Canada last month.

rated:
Has anyone had an Alliant Bill Pay payment missed? This isn't the first time it has happened and I don't think I'm going senile but on 11/17 I paid 5 bills and one bill, the electric bill was never paid. It's not showing pending either. It's like I never issued it. Now I'll have a late fee added. Anybody else have this happen?

rated:
Yes, I've had that and other issues.  I gave up on using Alliant's Bill Pay system for automatic payments.  I use it for manual payments, but found their scheduling system for future payments unreliable and easier to just pay from the vendor's site.  Overall, I don't trust Alliant's Bill Pay system, it is the weakest link in their site.  I'd love them to get off the current system and switch over to a more mainstream solution.

rated:
I'm thinking about switching to Alliant. Here and elsewhere people have discussed using it as "hub" to transfer money between external accounts. If I am reading the fee schedule correctly, it is free to transfer money from Bank A to Alliant to Bank B if Alliant initiates both transfers. Can someone confirm this? Any idea how long such a transfer might take?

Also: Would anyone like to refer me? (Sorry if asking is against the rules or a breach of forum etiquette--in this context I can't imagine why it would be.)

rated:
A765 said:   I'm thinking about switching to Alliant. Here and elsewhere people have discussed using it as "hub" to transfer money between external accounts. If I am reading the fee schedule correctly, it is free to transfer money from Bank A to Alliant to Bank B if Alliant initiates both transfers. Can someone confirm this? Any idea how long such a transfer might take?

Also: Would anyone like to refer me? (Sorry if asking is against the rules or a breach of forum etiquette--in this context I can't imagine why it would be.)

Correct, Alliant does not charge any fee for ACH. But if you are using a savings account, you need to watch the number of outgoing transfers.
Alliant's transfer is performed the next business day.

rated:
AverageGuy09 said:   Yes, I've had that and other issues.  I gave up on using Alliant's Bill Pay system for automatic payments.  I use it for manual payments, but found their scheduling system for future payments unreliable and easier to just pay from the vendor's site.  Overall, I don't trust Alliant's Bill Pay system, it is the weakest link in their site.  I'd love them to get off the current system and switch over to a more mainstream solution.
  
OK, at least I'm not just imagining it. Extra incentive to switch my bill pay to my Cardinal Bank account.

rated:
scanchain said:   A765 said:   I'm thinking about switching to Alliant. Here and elsewhere people have discussed using it as "hub" to transfer money between external accounts. If I am reading the fee schedule correctly, it is free to transfer money from Bank A to Alliant to Bank B if Alliant initiates both transfers. Can someone confirm this? Any idea how long such a transfer might take?

Also: Would anyone like to refer me? (Sorry if asking is against the rules or a breach of forum etiquette--in this context I can't imagine why it would be.)

Correct, Alliant does not charge any fee for ACH. But if you are using a savings account, you need to watch the number of outgoing transfers.
Alliant's transfer is performed the next business day.


Thanks. So my hypothetical transfer could take as little as two days? When would the money begin earning interest? Immediately or in two days?

One more question (okay, two): What is the daily maximum (dollar) amount of these transfers? I seem to remember complaints about a $10,000 limit, but a post earlier in this thread has me wondering if that has changed. Does the limit differ between checking and savings accounts?

rated:
Submit before 12pm CT on a business day and the transfer would be completed the next day (if it is a business day). I believe you will earn interest as long as the money is in.

I remember when the account was new, the ACH limit was lower. Now I have no trouble going beyond $25k. I am not sure exactly what is the upper limit.

I don't believe there is a limit between savings and checking. Such transfers are instantaneous, and can occur over weekends too.

rated:
I think it may be a lower ach limit when you first join (the exact amount i am sure they can tell you if you contact them) i think it might have been $25,000 daily as scanchain mentioned but not sure...
I have been with them for a number of years and i have a $100,000 per day ach limit...

As far as qualifying to join, all you need to do is make a $10 minimum contribution to the Foster Care charity and you are in:
http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/membership/eligibility/ofa/ 

Transfers are next business day if you schedule them before 12 PM CST...after that time, it would take two business days...
I have found their Bill Pay to be quite good, but i have never set up advanced payments, i set up a payment as i need to make one, and setting up manual payments has always been reliable for me...

rated:
Thanks, guys. I arrived at two days because the "transfer" I concocted is really two transfers, isn't it? Bank A to Alliant is one (that's one day); when the money shows up with Alliant I must transfer to Bank B--allow for another day = two days total. Or am I missing something?

Today I submitted my application and am sorry to say that things are not going smoothly. There was a problem. Someone will have to review my application and get back to me.

My first thought is that there was not enough time between when I submitted the application and when I donated to Foster Care, which I did as part of the application process. But I waited until receiving a confirmation e-mail from FC, and I called Alliant before submitting to make sure this wouldn't be a problem. For a while the representative and I seemed to have trouble understanding each other, but eventually she gave me the OK (Didn't she?) Alliant is supposed to get back to me in 48 hours. So we'll see.

As for the ACH limit, I haven't been able to find an exact number except for new accounts. Scanchain's figure is good to know.

rated:
A765 said:   Thanks, guys. I arrived at two days because the "transfer" I concocted is really two transfers, isn't it? Bank A to Alliant is one (that's one day); when the money shows up with Alliant I must transfer to Bank B--allow for another day = two days total. Or am I missing something?Right, in that case is would be 2 business days (as long as you submitted before noon Central each day). What I do is keep a balance in my Alliant account large enough to cover most transfers I'd want to do and then I can effectively do a transfer in 1 business day (schedule a transfer from existing Alliant balance out to destination and one from the source bank to Alliant at the same time... only works if you have enough in Alliant to cover it)

rated:
A765 said:   Thanks, guys. I arrived at two days because the "transfer" I concocted is really two transfers, isn't it? Bank A to Alliant is one (that's one day); when the money shows up with Alliant I must transfer to Bank B--allow for another day = two days total. Or am I missing something?

Today I submitted my application and am sorry to say that things are not going smoothly. There was a problem. Someone will have to review my application and get back to me.

My first thought is that there was not enough time between when I submitted the application and when I donated to Foster Care, which I did as part of the application process. But I waited until receiving a confirmation e-mail from FC, and I called Alliant before submitting to make sure this wouldn't be a problem. For a while the representative and I seemed to have trouble understanding each other, but eventually she gave me the OK (Didn't she?) Alliant is supposed to get back to me in 48 hours. So we'll see.

As for the ACH limit, I haven't been able to find an exact number except for new accounts. Scanchain's figure is good to know.

  
Alliant's online application system is notoriously wonky.  I had the same problem.  It centered around the security questions.  As long as you don't have any negative Chex entries, you should be good.
 

rated:
atikovi said:   Has anyone had an Alliant Bill Pay payment missed? This isn't the first time it has happened and I don't think I'm going senile but on 11/17 I paid 5 bills and one bill, the electric bill was never paid. It's not showing pending either. It's like I never issued it. Now I'll have a late fee added. Anybody else have this happen?
  
Cannot say I've ever had a bill payment failure or dilemma with Alliant bill pay.  It works really well for me.  Still, I watch them like a hawk.

Did find remarkable the concept of paying five bills one one day.  I pay all my bills, e.g. my electric bill along with everything else, with my Priceline CC.  This earns me a 2% reward.  Then, once each month, I use Alliant bill pay to pay off the Priceline CC in full.  So when it comes to monitoring Alliant bill pay, there is only a single payment each month that I actually must watch.

But I do schedule in advance.  Allowing roughly a ten day cushion in case Alliant messes up (even though this never has happened), I advance schedule movement of money from my savings to my checking on one day in anticipation of paying Priceline.  Then I advance schedule the Alliant bill pay to pay Priceline for the day after money moves over to checking.  So far so good.  No failures yet.

Am very satisfied and pleased with Alliant bill pay, and with the ability Alliant provides to advance schedule. 

rated:
clutchcargo777 said:   
A765 said:   Thanks, guys. I arrived at two days because the "transfer" I concocted is really two transfers, isn't it? Bank A to Alliant is one (that's one day); when the money shows up with Alliant I must transfer to Bank B--allow for another day = two days total. Or am I missing something?

Today I submitted my application and am sorry to say that things are not going smoothly. There was a problem. Someone will have to review my application and get back to me.

My first thought is that there was not enough time between when I submitted the application and when I donated to Foster Care, which I did as part of the application process. But I waited until receiving a confirmation e-mail from FC, and I called Alliant before submitting to make sure this wouldn't be a problem. For a while the representative and I seemed to have trouble understanding each other, but eventually she gave me the OK (Didn't she?) Alliant is supposed to get back to me in 48 hours. So we'll see.

As for the ACH limit, I haven't been able to find an exact number except for new accounts. Scanchain's figure is good to know.

  
Alliant's online application system is notoriously wonky.  I had the same problem.  It centered around the security questions.  As long as you don't have any negative Chex entries, you should be good.

Did they tell you to wait 48 hours? Or did I imagine that number? Today I called Alliant and was told that I will be notified by mail whether my application has been accepted. This is supposed to take 7-10 business days. The person I spoke to did not know where I got 48 hours from.

What happened in your case?
 

rated:
shinobi1 said:   I pay all my bills, e.g. my electric bill along with everything else, with my Priceline CC.  
 

  
What utilities allow you to pay with a CC? I pay nearly a dozen and would love to do that.

rated:
atikovi said:   
shinobi1 said:   I pay all my bills, e.g. my electric bill along with everything else, with my Priceline CC.  
  
What utilities allow you to pay with a CC? I pay nearly a dozen and would love to do that.

  
Interesting.  I pay both my electric power and telephone/internet service bills each month using a CC.  The telephone/internet bill I pay right here on the net.  I could pay my electric power bill here too, but it's easier to do the deed via telephone.  It's an automated system.  I don't speak with a person.  But it's quick and it always works fine.

The companies, both of them, are just my local service providers.  They are both quite small.  I thought this was routine stuff.   I pay everything I can by credit card to get the 2% reward.  On the very rare occasions CCs are not accepted, I use a debit card . . purely for convenience.  I never use cash.  Cash is trash.  

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1118119120121 122
  • Page


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014