• filter:
  • 14 5 678119
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
FYI. I enrolled last night using the online program and it worked great -- no hiccups. This morning, I was able to access the account and link it to external accounts for transfers.

rated:
Rates are down for both Savings a/c and Jumbo CD. I hope fed stop now.. inflation adjusted returns have been -ve for a while.

rated:
From this Bank Deals post:

There's one extra little perk for those not yet an Alliant online banking user. You can earn up to $10 in their Go green promotion. You can earn $5 for enrolling in online banking and use it 3 times by May 31st and $5 when you access eStatements and optout of paper statements. The promotion ends 5/31/08. Go green to get more green.

rated:
mbwd said: FYI. I enrolled last night using the online program and it worked great -- no hiccups. This morning, I was able to access the account and link it to external accounts for transfers.

yes...you can get "rolling" very fast when the online application works (it did for me and i had the exact same experience)

and yes, they did lower the rate a little (savings went from 4.35% apy to 4.0% apy)....but as you can see, they did keep it down to a minimum...they really try HARD to keep the rate as HIGH AS THEY POSSIBLY CAN....

I love doing ALL MY BANKING now with ALLIANT CU

rated:
Anyone download account statements to MS Money or Quicken. Looking to signup but could not find any info on MS Money/Quicken downloads on their website.

Thanks

rated:
BTW - I just tried to open an account online. I got rejected for a checking account but was approved for a savings account. Not sure what criteria they use for account approval. Others with similar experience?

rated:
shankman007 said: BTW - I just tried to open an account online. I got rejected for a checking account but was approved for a savings account. Not sure what criteria they use for account approval. Others with similar experience?
I had the same thing happen when I applied in person for some CDs, a share savings account, and a checking account. I was rejected for the checking account apparently due to too many inquiries in ChexSystems. This isn't a bad thing, but some banks and credit unions seem IMO overly sensitive to this. You might want to call Alliant and speak with someone about this issue. They might be able to override the rejection.

rated:
This might be a little off-topic but if you're 50 or over, AARP has a savings account paying 4.50% with $1 minimum, no fees:

http://www.aarpsavings.com/index.aspx

Hooray for old codgers!

Don't worry, Craig, Alliant CU is still one of my favorites! That and Provident Bank which has lightning fast ACHs.

I like Alliant because you can do share loans at 2% above the savings rate very easily. I've done several over the phone just to boost my credit rating. I also obtained an Alliant VISA card which will be paid off automatically each month from the savings account.

rated:
craig10x said: mbwd said: FYI. I enrolled last night using the online program and it worked great -- no hiccups. This morning, I was able to access the account and link it to external accounts for transfers.

yes...you can get "rolling" very fast when the online application works (it did for me and i had the exact same experience)

and yes, they did lower the rate a little (savings went from 4.35% apy to 4.0% apy)....but as you can see, they did keep it down to a minimum...they really try HARD to keep the rate as HIGH AS THEY POSSIBLY CAN....

I love doing ALL MY BANKING now with ALLIANT CU

Are there any issues pushing or pulling from the savings account as I would prefer not to open the checking account?

rated:
No...other then that the savings account is subject to the usual 6 per month federal law, where as the checking account is not....which is why i do all my transfers on the checking side of Alliant (after transfering the money from savings to checking at an atm, which of course is NOT SUBJECT to the "6 rule"....)...

And Argyll...glad to hear you are loyal to Alliant (lol)...

rated:
Guess I'm a "johnny come lately", but I finally decided to go with Alliant CU, because BoA NEA is just not getting in with the the savings rates being advertised. 2.54%

So yesterday I tried to open the Alliant Savings account online. No go, they declined the application, A FIRST FOR ME. The rep said, to mail in the application, which is what I did.

This morning I read about AARP's 4.75% Savings. Does this sound "to good to be true"? I'm sure going to check into AARP, I do know that they have been around for many years. My parents used their medical insurance for years.

rated:
you have to be 50 plus to be a full member of AARP and take advantage of their services......do you qualify?

And that does happen sometime with Alliant's online application....you should likely be able to get in after mailing in the application, where an actual "human" will review it (lol).....

rated:
Finally went ahead and opened a savings account last night via the online form. Everything went smoothly, and I had online access within minutes. Printed off the signature card and dropped it in the mail.

Now it's time to start moving over the 0% BT money!

rated:
pattyb53 said: So yesterday I tried to open the Alliant Savings account online. No go, they declined the application, A FIRST FOR ME. The rep said, to mail in the application, which is what I did.

Same thing happened to me. I didn't make any phone calls, but my welcome packet arrived a week later. My guess is I had too many recent ChexSystems inquiries to qualify automatically.

rated:
I guess too many credit checks here also. That's a bummer.

Right afterward I discovered AARP 4.75% Jumbo Secure MM, and consequently signed up and I'm in business. Have made 3 big deposits now and looks great.

As with you, Alliant CU sent me the pakage and I did make $100 an initial deposit. I'm going to let it sit and maybe I may need to use Alliant CU at a later date.

rated:
I just tried to open a regular savings account.

It states that it cannot open an account for me at this time.

No reason was given.

Anyone got that?
What can I do?

TIA

rated:
I received the same message. Information was received a few days later by mail and I opened an account without a problem.

Call Alliant if you have questions.

rated:
I just joined Alliant online and had no problems. I had problems when I joined Penfed a few months ago because I used Firefox, so I used Internet Explorer this time. I wonder if people who have had problems with the online application were using Firefox?

rated:
Looks like Alliant CU is maintaining the 4% APY Rate for another month.......Alliant tends to not change rates very often, so they are a good bet if you like a Bank/CU that is pretty stable with their rates, and Alliant CU has a long
time reputation of maintaining constantly HIGH RATES on the Share Savings and CDs....when you factor in the Excellent Customer Service, and access to 75,000 free atms Nationwide (through COOP and ALLPOINT) it makes a great
CU to do your banking with! I have the Checking as well, and use Alliant as my main, "day to day banking" place and would highly recommend them.....

rated:
Thanks for the update, craig10x!

As for Allpoint ATM's, are you pretty sure all of them are surcharge-free with Alliant? Somewhere in the website or disclosures I came across a statement warning that not all Allpoint ATMs are surcharge-free, and that you must check the ATM-locator to be sure. Unfortunately, the need to do that wipes out some of the convenience factor, especially if away from home. Funny thing is, when I look up any Allpoint ATM I know of via the locator, it inevitably shows up as surchagre-free.

Do you always check the locator first? If not, about how many Allpoint ATMs have you used for Alliant withdrawals (presumably all surcharge-free)?

rated:
You're Welcome, Dejanu (love your name...lol)

I always check Alliant at the end of the month, though i figured they wouldn't be changing it, especially since there was no more fed rate cuts right now....They really try not to change it very often, especially on the
down side, as they like to keep the rate as high and as attractive as possible......

Yes, i saw what they said about not all Allpoint atms being surcharge free, but my experience has been that they all have been that i have used......In most cases, you would know right away because with most Allpoint atms, the
charge screen will not come up when an Allpoint card is put in it....though a few atms have shown the charge screen but still did not charge the fee anyway.....I've used quite a few different ones, and charge screen showing or not,
was not charged anything...

I rarely look at the atm locator at their website, but when i do, i noticed that all the Allpoint atms i have used are on the list......I think it's pretty rare that an Allpoint ATM will not be surcharge free.....

Also, don't forget you can also use the many COOP network atms as well...as long as you see the COOP logo it's free..... You will find those at both many Credit Unions and even outside atms as well (in stores)....
Here in New York City, for example, all the McDonalds have atms that are sponsored by Actors FCU and so they are all on COOP and are surcharge free for me.......In florida, all the Publix Supermarkets are on COOP, and all the 7-11s
nationwide..just to name a few....

CU24 and Alliance One atms i rarely see (must be alot less of them)........

rated:
Share certificates down:

Regular Certificate
(min. deposit $1,000) 3.75% APY
(as high as)
Jumbo Certificate
(min. deposit $25,000) 3.90% APY
(as high as)

rated:
luvmycat said: Share certificates down:

Regular Certificate
(min. deposit $1,000) 3.75% APY
(as high as)
Jumbo Certificate
(min. deposit $25,000) 3.90% APY
(as high as)

Huh. Share savings still at 4.00 APY. A no-brainer for the time being.

rated:
Interesting that they changed rates on the 2nd instead of the 1st of the month. Perhaps because the 1st was a Sunday? Green for you, luvmycat, for thinking to check today (I checked yesterday).

rated:
Yep...share savings is still at 4% APY...CD rates can change at any time, but the Share Savings rate for the next month is determined at their monthly meeting which is usually around the 25th or so....at that time they decide whether the rate remains the same or goes down or up....this was told to me by a CSR that i have e-mailed with a lot on a regular basis.....

Particular with share savings rate, they try to maintain the highest rate they can for as long a period of time as they can, and don't tend to change it that often......unlike the way many other banks and cu's do......it's part of Alliant's basic philosophy......

rated:
brushwood said: I posted this before but I thought I'd just remind everyone. If you like Alliant and would like to see it added to yodlee, go to this new site request thread at the yodlee forums and reply asking them to add Alliant CU to yodlee. The more replies there are, the higher priority the request will get.

Thanks, signed up for an Alliant savings account, and posted on the Yodlee boards to hopefully get the site added quickly.

rated:
Ok craig10x, I'm going to start putting large amounts into the Alliant savings.

Today my NAVY FCU CD matured so I wired the full amount to Alliant CU. Seems imposible that last year 6% CD's were fairly easy to find and now we are happy to find 4%. At least this is liquid.

I'm waiting for that wire to make it to Alliant. NAVY charged $14 to wire, but I figured I would make it up by starting to draw the interest today(if it makes a quick transfer). I wired at 7am California time, and just checked, 2 hrs and "no go" yet.

I did join the AARP bandwagon, which is now 4.4%, but think I need the insurance of using another Credit Union to "just be on the safe side".

rated:
great move, pattyb53 Well that's what so nice about Alliant CU is that over the years, they have always had very high share savings and cd rates, and they do try to maintain them as high as they can, and not change rates frequently
(especially on the down side).....so you can feel pretty confident that you made a good move......I did some research on them, and apparently even several years back (when they were still known as United Airlines Employees CU) they had some of the highest rates you would find, especially from a CU....

combine that with outstanding 24/7 Customer Service, excellent website and online banking and access to 75,000 surcharge free atms nationwide, it's a great CU to be with!

rated:
gnat said: brushwood said: I posted this before but I thought I'd just remind everyone. If you like Alliant and would like to see it added to yodlee, go to this new site request thread at the yodlee forums and reply asking them to add Alliant CU to yodlee. The more replies there are, the higher priority the request will get.

Thanks, signed up for an Alliant savings account, and posted on the Yodlee boards to hopefully get the site added quickly.

Posting on the yodlee board will no longer prioritize the site for development. From what I read on the yodlee forum, you need to add it to yodlee as a manual account. They will run reports and see which sites have been added the most and prioritize them that way. If you want to see Alliant added to yodlee, go add it as a manual account right now.

Here is a link to the yodlee forum describing the process of adding a manual account and their prioritization process.

rated:
I am not satisfied with the incoming wire system that Alliant CU uses!

Example: Early Friday morning I wired a large amount of $'s (money) from a matured CD with NAVY FEDCU. I was sure that the deposit into Alliant would take place Friday morning and I would gain the interest over the weekend. NO, it didn't happen. NAVY wired the funds but the Fed stopped the transaction because of the 2 party wire instructions that Alliant uses. I noticed early afternoon that the transaction didn't occur. I called NAVY and they started a follow-up. It was stalled at the Fed Reserve and it was too late in the afternoon to find out. (I live in CA, and business closed) Now, I'm on hold until Monday to find out the problem, meanwhile I'm not gaining any interest.

Anyone else had this problem with wiring into Alliant CU?

rated:
pattyb53 said: I am not satisfied with the incoming wire system that Alliant CU uses!

Example: Early Friday morning I wired a large amount of $'s (money) from a matured CD with NAVY FEDCU. I was sure that the deposit into Alliant would take place Friday morning and I would gain the interest over the weekend. NO, it didn't happen. NAVY wired the funds but the Fed stopped the transaction because of the 2 party wire instructions that Alliant uses. I noticed early afternoon that the transaction didn't occur. I called NAVY and they started a follow-up. It was stalled at the Fed Reserve and it was too late in the afternoon to find out. (I live in CA, and business closed) Now, I'm on hold until Monday to find out the problem, meanwhile I'm not gaining any interest.

Anyone else had this problem with wiring into Alliant CU?

I wired a large amount from my account at TD Ameritrade for a CD that matured and all went well. I initiated the wire transfer around 11am EST and by the evening when I checked my Alliant account the amount posted fine.

rated:
When I hear this, I get even more angry!

I have wired from NAVY to my personal BofA and the process went fast and efficiently.
But, BoA charges $12 for an incoming wire, so I decided to by-pass BoA and wire directly into Alliant CU. With the 2 party wiring instructions it didn't happen quickly. Now I must wait until Monday to get my "reason for the holdup".

rated:
pattyb53 said: When I hear this, I get even more angry!

I have wired from NAVY to my personal BofA and the process went fast and efficiently.
But, BoA charges $12 for an incoming wire, so I decided to by-pass BoA and wire directly into Alliant CU. With the 2 party wiring instructions it didn't happen quickly. Now I must wait until Monday to get my "reason for the holdup".

can't you call the customer service line now? i thought it was 24x7.

rated:
CSR can't give me information, they say, wait and call Monday. (probably no one with authority, or knowledge works on the weekends).

rated:
skadoo323 said: pattyb53 said: When I hear this, I get even more angry!

can't you call the customer service line now? i thought it was 24x7.

It is 24/7 but the type of problem pattyb53 is having would have to be checked by the actual personnel in the Credit Union...so that would be during their normal business hours......

rated:
pattyb53 said: CSR can't give me information, they say, wait and call Monday. (probably no one with authority, or knowledge works on the weekends).

ah ok, makes sense then. if you don't mind, can you let us know what caused the delay? thanks!

rated:
My money was deposited early this morning 6/9. I put the wire transfer request in very early Friday 6/6. They said, that there might be a 12-24 hr delay and this time there was. Previously I have made wire transfers that get to the destination on the same day.

I will never do wire transfers again on Friday's.

rated:
Well, I am happy to say that I now have confidence with the wire transfer method of moving money into Alliant CU.

Early this morning I wired funds from NAVY FCU to Alliant CU and I just noticed that the funds had already been deposited.

I'm sure that the CSR that took care of my business this morning was much more competent that the CSR that helped me Friday with the wire transfer. Too bad that we can't choose the person that handles our business when we call.

rated:
pattyb53 said: Well, I am happy to say that I now have confidence with the wire transfer method of moving money into Alliant CU.

Early this morning I wired funds from NAVY FCU to Alliant CU and I just noticed that the funds had already been deposited.

I'm sure that the CSR that took care of my business this morning was much more competent that the CSR that helped me Friday with the wire transfer. Too bad that we can't choose the person that handles our business when we call.

pattyb53, regarding wiring funds from NFCU. I place my request to wire funds out of NFCU the business day before the cd matures. NFCU then places the signed wiring instrux in the vault overnight (or weekend), and puts thru the wire 8a the next business day. And, I always involve the branch manager. No problems so far.

rated:
The texas state PTA is $10 to join. http://www.txpta.org/sspangled.html

Have to print and mail, though.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 14 5 678119
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014