• filter:
  • 1 2 345123
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
craig10x said: I agree! I opened online yesterday, and am already totally set-up in the online banking with bill payees on, links getting set-up to external banks, and everything (yes, they do have their own ach transfer system!)....and Customer Service is outstanding....both on the phone and by e-mail...In fact, i e-mailed them a while ago and got a reply in 15 minutes!
Also Customer Service is 24/7 (unusual for a CU...probably because they are so big)....

Along with the excellent share and cd rates, they are a real standout....

Their 24/7 service is probably a carry-over from their days of exclusively catering to airline employees.

rated:
Without a local PTA/PTO nearby, is $25. the least expensive option (via the National PTA) for membership in this credit union?

rated:
aptvictoria said: Without a local PTA/PTO nearby, is $25. the least expensive option (via the National PTA) for membership in this credit union?you can join our local PTSA for $10. http://www.fcps.edu/HerndonHS/ptsa/ptsa_org/Membership05-06.pdf

rated:
gwu1986 said: aptvictoria said: Without a local PTA/PTO nearby, is $25. the least expensive option (via the National PTA) for membership in this credit union?you can join our local PTSA for $10. http://www.fcps.edu/HerndonHS/ptsa/ptsa_org/Membership05-06.pdf
Is that a yearly or one-time amount?

rated:
It shouldn't make a difference whether it's yearly or a one time amount. As long as you're a member when you join Alliant. Once you're a member of Alliant, you're a member for life whether you keep the pta membership or not.

rated:
cak144 said: It shouldn't make a difference whether it's yearly or a one time amount. As long as you're a member when you join Alliant. Once you're a member of Alliant, you're a member for life whether you keep the pta membership or not.correct. One time only.

rated:
craig10x said: Also, for those interested....they seem to have excellent online banking as well (based on my first few days impressions, after getting set up).....

yes, the online has been greatly improved over the years which is why they are still my primary banking institution. there had many surveys/questionnaires on how to improve it and they came through. after I saw all the banking options out there when I started at UA, no one came even close to what they offered in 2000...I miss the days when my share savings had a 6.75% APY I'm glad there are more options to be able to join for the FW community now that they have split off to become Alliant (FKA United Airlines Employees' Credit Union). now get on and lock in those cd rates!

rated:
yep...and even the share savings rate is outstanding! (4.35% apy) Hope they can keep it high in view of the newest fed rate cuts...but i understand that Alliant has for a long time had the reputation for having very high share savings rates and cds...so "comparatively" speaking they should always be "up there"

The online banking certainly is excellent...i just love using it...and they have even expanded their surcharge free network atm coverage...it's now at 75,000 atms nationwide through Coop/Allpoint/CU24/Alliance One....

They have really "won me over" and become my main (day to day) banking place...with BOA Checking just for that occassional local atm deposit to ach over to them....and i still have my Schwab Investor Checking along with my Investments at Schwab...but i must admit it has taken a "back seat" since i started using Alliant.....

rated:
gwu1986 said: cak144 said: It shouldn't make a difference whether it's yearly or a one time amount. As long as you're a member when you join Alliant. Once you're a member of Alliant, you're a member for life whether you keep the pta membership or not.correct. One time only.

right...you only have to pay for a 1 year membership with either your local PTA or the National PTA...so the most it would cost would be $25...1 time....and Alliant deposits $5 into your share account when you open.....

Once you are a member of Alliant, you are in...no need to keep renewing the membership in the PTA if you do not want to....

rated:
aptvictoria said: craig10x said: I agree! I opened online yesterday, and am already totally set-up in the online banking with bill payees on, links getting set-up to external banks, and everything (yes, they do have their own ach transfer system!)....and Customer Service is outstanding....both on the phone and by e-mail...In fact, i e-mailed them a while ago and got a reply in 15 minutes!
Also Customer Service is 24/7 (unusual for a CU...probably because they are so big)....

Along with the excellent share and cd rates, they are a real standout....

Their 24/7 service is probably a carry-over from their days of exclusively catering to airline employees.

probably...that, and the fact they are huge...they are the 8th biggest CU in the country with over 200,000 members....
they were the United Airlines Employees Credit Union before they expanded their membership and became Alliant....

rated:
Credit Union good. Bank bad.

rated:
I'm interested in their jumbo CDs so we opened a joint account last night.

Interestingly they pulled a hard Equifax on me but not my husband.

The screen popped up with all kind of preapproved offers due to my "excellent credit score"

however, though the preapproved car loan and heloc (which I wasn't interested in were generous) the preapproved
credit card only had a 10K limit. I declined to accept it since I don't need any new personal credit cards
bringing down my average age. If the offer had been for 30K or higher I might have considered it.

Their CD rates look awesome though, so I'm happy to have this account. Does anyone have their credit cards?
Are they always that stingy?

rated:
is alliant on yodlee? The only thing i can pull up is an alliant credit card

rated:
craig10x said: yep...and even the share savings rate is outstanding! (4.35% apy) Hope they can keep it high in view of the newest fed rate cuts...but i understand that Alliant has for a long time had the reputation for having very high share savings rates and cds...so "comparatively" speaking they should always be "up there"

The online banking certainly is excellent...i just love using it...and they have even expanded their surcharge free network atm coverage...it's now at 75,000 atms nationwide through Coop/Allpoint/CU24/Alliance One....

They have really "won me over" and become my main (day to day) banking place...with BOA Checking just for that occassional local atm deposit to ach over to them....and i still have my Schwab Investor Checking along with my Investments at Schwab...but i must admit it has taken a "back seat" since i started using Alliant.....

craig10x,
Is there a reason why you didn't choose Provident Direct with its' 15 additional basis points? Or did you open accounts with both Alliance and Provident?

Looking at the Provident thread, it seems to me that Alliance is the better choice. For instance, PD only allows for one linked account. Up until last week, they only allowed $5K pushes out of their accounts. I'm still drawing up the list of pros and cons. Feel free to make note of additional Alliance positives in relation to what Provident Direct is offering. Thanks.

rated:
Regarding their Visa Check Card, does anyone have the maximum, daily ATM withdrawal/PoS purchase limits? How about the foreign currency conversion fee?

rated:
aptvictoria said: Regarding their Visa Check Card, does anyone have the maximum, daily ATM withdrawal/PoS purchase limits? How about the foreign currency conversion fee?

It's pretty generous....$2,000 on the daily debit card purchases....$1,000 daily on Atm Cash Withdrawals (if you have the debit/atm card which you get when you also have checking as well as savings...regular atm card is only $500.00)....

Not sure what the foreign conversion fee amount is.....though if you would call or e-mail them, i'm sure they would look it up for you....

No i didn't also open with Provident Direct because i felt Alliant CU has more advantages and flexibility...
There is no limit on how many external accounts you can link to their ach transfer system, their transfers are pretty fast as well...not next day...but two days....which is still faster then Cashedge (which is usually 3 days)...

And they DO NOT put any hold on the funds when they arrive in your account, they are available for use
IMMEDIATELY....

Their Customer Service is Outstanding and is Available 24/7 (not sure how Provident is).....The bill pay seems quite good as well....and you get lots and lots of surcharge free atm coverage, which Provident does not give you.....

They are now hooked up to COOP....CU24 Premium Service (which gives you both CU24 atms AND all the ALLPOINT atms) and Alliance One network....a total of about 75,000 free atms all across the country.....

And i'm not sure how Provident's online banking is...but Alliant's is OUTSTANDING...very easy to use, attractive, detailed information and completely in REAL TIME.....

And that's why i went with Alliant Credit Union...i think they are terrific....

rated:
Anyone knows what are the daily limits for how much you can transfer INTO an Alliant account FROM an external account using ACH?

NM, I called them, it's $10,000/day when ACH is initiated from Alliant side.

rated:
gwu1986 said: aptvictoria said: Without a local PTA/PTO nearby, is $25. the least expensive option (via the National PTA) for membership in this credit union?you can join our local PTSA for $10. http://www.fcps.edu/HerndonHS/ptsa/ptsa_org/Membership05-06.pdf

Please pardon the newbie question but would I actually have to have a child in that school to apply to be a PTSA member? If not, what would I put in the application under "Student Name & Grade"?

Does anyone know if Alliant really checks to see if the applicant is a PTA member? The applicant selects Branch Local or National PTA member from a dropdown. How would Alliant verify membership or do they just take our word for it?

Thx

rated:
why not "splurge" and spend the $25 to join the National PTA for 1 year..it's for a good cause, and think of all the extra money you will be making in Alliant's high rate share savings and cd accounts!

As far as Alliant checking, some have mentioned that they often do, usually about a month after you open your accounts...so, it would be wise to do so......

Also, when you open your accounts, Alliant deposits $5 into your share account to cover the "lifetime membership" so as i said..why not spend the $25....it is well worth it.....

rated:
Rates just dropped. 12-17 mo jumbo is now 4.4% APY.
Rate Board

rated:
sinik said: Rates just dropped. 12-17 mo jumbo is now 4.4% APY.
Rate Board

but curiously they did not change their savings rate (now essentially the same as the CD rate).

rated:
BobbyRobert said: sinik said: Rates just dropped. 12-17 mo jumbo is now 4.4% APY.
Rate Board

but curiously they did not change their savings rate (now essentially the same as the CD rate).

Yes..it is still 4.35% APY on the Share Savings (at least so far).....A good point to keep in mind is that Alliant has a reputation for having pretty high savings and cd rates (comparatively speaking of course, based on the current interest rate climate..which unfortunately is on it's way down now)....which still makes them a good long term bet for savings and cds, so always a good CU to be with.....

rated:
I put in a new site request at the yodlee forum to add Alliant. Anyone else that would like to see that done should go here and request it:

http://forum.yodlee.com/showthread.php?t=4328

rated:
and the share savings rate is still 4.35%! I believe they have already made their rate adjustments for the month, as the CD's had gone down a bit....so it seems like the rate on the savings is holding, so far.....

But as i previously mentioned, from what i've heard about Alliant, they do have a reputation of having very high share savings and cd rates, so they are a great place to be with for the long term, and their online banking and customer service is outstanding...along with the superb surcharge free atm coverage through Allpoint, Coop, Alliance One and CU24......

So, even if the rate does go down eventually...i am a "happy camper" with Alliant, and highly reccommend them

rated:
2 newbie question: do they reimburse the ATM fee charged by other non-Alliant ATM vendors? Also if you send application through mail, can the hard-pull of credit be avoided? Thanks.

rated:
kchnew said: 2 newbie question: do they reimburse the ATM fee charged by other non-Alliant ATM vendors? Also if you send application through mail, can the hard-pull of credit be avoided? Thanks.

they don't re-imburse any atm fees at all from other banks....instead, they are connected to the COOP Network, Alliance One and the new CU24 Premium Service (CU Premium brings in the CU24 network ALONG WITH the huge ALLPOINT NETWORK)...

So, all told, there are about 75,000 atms you can use, nationwide, where you will not get charged an atm fee on that machine....The biggest two of the networks is ALLPOINT and COOP....on Alliant's site, you can check any area, and see which atms are available to you...

These are not in banks..they are in stores (groceries, drug stores, gas stations, 7-11s, etc etc)....

On Alliant's end you may make up to 8 withdrawals per month with no Alliant side fee.....that is per account...so if you have both Checking and Savings, you have a reserve of up to 16 withdrawals per month (8 plus 8)....not that most of us need that many (lol) i myself, average maybe 6 to 8 per month tops, which i usually do from the savings side....but nice to know i have a "reserve" on the checking side (in case of an emergency).....

You can also do up to 8 free Balance Inquiries per account per month (with no fee) counted seperate from withdrawals..

So, it's pretty flexible, as long as you work within those limits.....

As to the hard pull question..i think either way, you will get the hard pull...but if your history isn't great, or you have a huge number of recent chex system inquiries, you might be better off doing the mail in application, to avoid an automatic rejection by the computer (online application)...and a better chance of getting approved...

Otherwise, the Online Application should be fine....

rated:
craig10x, thanks a lot for spending time on the reply. It helps a lot. I have followed your posts in Fidelity thread and still use their SmartCash today.

rated:
kchnew said: craig10x, thanks a lot for spending time on the reply. It helps a lot. I have followed your posts in Fidelity thread and still use their SmartCash today.

You're very welcome Glad to be of help....I find it works very well with all the surcharge free atm coverage, so i don't miss the rebates that much with this account.....

Oh, and an extra note: you will also find alot of coop atms in credit union locations, and allpoint is in alot of regular supermarket chains, and even department and convenience stores.....on their website, just punch in any zipcode on the atm locator, and you will see what's around any particular area.....

rated:
VanceWade said: moonsunboat said: From their website, they do provide competitive rates for everything. But do they have my investment FDIC-insured if I put money in?

No, but it's insured by NCUA, the similar federal insurance that applies to credit unions.

For everyone's information, I checked the safe and sound rating on bankrate.com, and it is three stars out of five, or "performing."

The five ratings are as follows:
1 Superior ллллл
2 Sound лллл
3 Performing ллл
4 Below peer group лл
5 Lowest rated л

I would be curious to know why they are paying so much above market rates when they clearly don't have to.

--VanceWade

Does even ONE Bank or Credit Union have a Superior rating in the United States in the year 2008!

rated:
Probably very few...even huge banks like Chase and BOA i believe have like 3 star ratings....3 stars is considered good for a bank or credit union.....You don't have to worry about Alliant...first of all, they have the standard NCUA insurance, which is just like FDIC at the banks...Alliant has been around since 1935 (originally as the United Airlines employees CU), has over 200,000 members, and is the 8th largest CU in the United States.....

They are very financially sound...the reason they offer such high share and cd rates is because it's their philosophy to do so...a CU is non-profit and this one likes to give back the profits to it's members in this manner....They must be making nice profits to be able to give those high rates

rated:
Regarding Alliant's 2-day ACH transfer times, does that represent a 2-day loss of interest on funds transferred?

Also, regarding their checking accounts, is the Debit card that comes with that account able to be "linked" to an Alliant savings account so that one doesn't have to manually transfer funds from savings to checking. Some banks allow these linkages but only to the maximum of 6 transactions a month, per Reg. D.

rated:
aptvictoria said: Regarding Alliant's 2-day ACH transfer times, does that represent a 2-day loss of interest on funds transferred?

I initiated a transfer this past Thursday. Alliant listed it as pending (does not show in my alliant balance yet) on Friday. There is no corresponding hold on my outgoing account yet. Past experieice says that the balance will be credited to my alliant acct on Monday and will show as a pending outgoing transfer from my BofA acct. So my, admittedly unusual, weekend experience suggests no lost interest.

All that said, since alliant limits ACH to 10k we are talking about less than two dollars worst case....

rated:
BobbyRobert said: aptvictoria said: Regarding Alliant's 2-day ACH transfer times, does that represent a 2-day loss of interest on funds transferred?

I initiated a transfer this past Thursday. Alliant listed it as pending (does not show in my alliant balance yet) on Friday. There is no corresponding hold on my outgoing account yet. Past experieice says that the balance will be credited to my alliant acct on Monday and will show as a pending outgoing transfer from my BofA acct. So my, admittedly unusual, weekend experience suggests no lost interest.

All that said, since alliant limits ACH to 10k we are talking about less than two dollars worst case....

I wa referring to an Alliant push. You wrote "balance will be credited to my alliance account". Did you do an Alliant pull or a BofA push?

rated:
aptvictoria said: Did you do an Alliant pull or a BofA push?

sorry about my careless reading. My description referred to an Alliant pull.

rated:
aptvictoria said: Regarding Alliant's 2-day ACH transfer times, does that represent a 2-day loss of interest on funds transferred?

Also, regarding their checking accounts, is the Debit card that comes with that account able to be "linked" to an Alliant savings account so that one doesn't have to manually transfer funds from savings to checking. Some banks allow these linkages but only to the maximum of 6 transactions a month, per Reg. D.

If you have a share savings account and a checking account account with Alliant, they automatically link the two together on the same debit card.... Now, online transfers from savings to checking is limited to the 6 rule, of course (and they thoughtfully remind you how many of those transfers you have done for the month when you are about to initiate a transfer in the online banking)...

But when you use your debit card at the atms, and transfer from savings to checking, they DO NOT count that against the 6..i know that because i have have done it, and it didn't reflect in the "online reminder" i just mentioned.....

Regarding pulling in, using their ACH transfer system...to give you an example, if i initiate a transfer to pull from my BOA checking on Monday, then on Wednesday morning (2 business days later) two events happen: my BOA checking amount gets pulled and it ARRIVES at ALLIANT in the same day...

They don't use "cashedge" for transfers...which is why a) their transfers only take 2 days instead of 3 like Cashedge b)no third party holds the money for a day or two to make some interest off you (as Cashedge does)...
And when it arrives in your Alliant account on Wednesday (in this example) it is not only earning INTEREST but is ALREADY AVAILABLE TO USE.....

Hope that gives you a clearer picture....

Their excellent Online Banking, Billpay and ACH Transfer System are all provided to them by WESCOM RESOURCES GROUP which is run by WESCOM CREDIT UNION (one of the biggest CU's in California)........

rated:
When you push out from Alliant, it does withdraw the money out, after 10 pm on the initiation day, and arrives at your other bank, two days after that....

rated:
craig10x said: aptvictoria said: Regarding Alliant's 2-day ACH transfer times, does that represent a 2-day loss of interest on funds transferred?

If you have a share savings account and a checking account account with Alliant, they automatically link the two together on the same debit card.... Now, online transfers from savings to checking is limited to the 6 rule, of course (and they thoughtfully remind you how many of those transfers you have done for the month when you are about to initiate a transfer in the online banking)...

But when you use your debit card at the atms, and transfer from savings to checking, they DO NOT count that against the 6..i know that because i have have done it, and it didn't reflect in the "online reminder" i just mentioned.....

Regarding pulling in, using their ACH transfer system...to give you an example, if i initiate a transfer to pull from my BOA checking on Monday, then on Wednesday morning (2 business days later) two events happen: my BOA checking amount gets pulled and it ARRIVES at ALLIANT in the same day...

They don't use "cashedge" for transfers...which is why a) their transfers only take 2 days instead of 3 like Cashedge b)no third party holds the money for a day or two to make some interest off you (as Cashedge does)...
And when it arrives in your Alliant account on Wednesday (in this example) it is not only earning INTEREST but is ALREADY AVAILABLE TO USE.....

Hope that gives you a clearer picture....

Their excellent Online Banking, Billpay and ACH Transfer System are all provided to them by WESCOM RESOURCES GROUP which is run by WESCOM CREDIT UNION (one of the biggest CU's in California)........

So with a $0.00 balance in checking and $10K in savings, a Point of Sale purchase (with the checking account's Visa Debit card) or a written check will "overdraft" from the savings account up to 6X/month, per the Reg. D particulars. And more than the 6 will incur a penalty fee. Is that how it works?

rated:
it probably would work, but you wouldn't want to do that because although the overdraft would be covered, there is a $10 fee each time you use that overdraft protection (from savings to checking) it's not a "freebie".....

And yes, the overdraft is limited to part of the 6 per month of online transfers....It's really more for protecting to avoid a bounced check...$10 is much cheaper then a standard overdraft fee.....

Why not just keep a working balance in checking and all the rest in savings...move money into checking as you need it...and the transfers from savings to checking at an atm doesn't count toward the 6 rule, so you could do some that way, if you run close or over the 6.....

maximizing interest is cool, but let's not go overboard (lol)
for example, even if you kept an average checking balance of, say $1200 per month, the most you'd lose after taxes is maybe around $30 to $35 for the ENTIRE YEAR...so why drive yourelf "batty" to squeeze out every last $ of interest?

Meanwhile, you got it linked directly to a very high yielding savings account, from which you can make instant transfers, with no delays!

Just be happy you get the high rate of return on the savings side...more then makes up for any small interest losses on the Checking side....

While it's true, that 4.35% is not a guaranteed rate forever, one thing you can count on, is that Alliant will always have a very high rate (comparatively speaking) in whatever the current interest rate market is....and as a CU, and non-profit, it is somewhat easier for them to maintain a higher rate then a bank can....

This is why i feel they are a great long term bet (not a rate chaser bet...lol)....

rated:
craig10x said: And they DO NOT put any hold on the funds when they arrive in your account, they are available for use
IMMEDIATELY....

I like Alliant so far but they did put a 10 business day hold (14 calendar days) on a $23K deposit I made by check. I opened the account online (with their free $5 plus $50 via ACH), then mailed the large check a few weeks later.

If guardian44 is still here: perhaps rename the thread to cover Alliant CU in general? The savings rate is now at the top of this great thread.

rated:
i agree cardjuggler, OP should rename this the Alliant CU thread as the Share Savings rates at Alliant is always top notch and is currently still holding at 4.35% APY......

Well, i was referring to ach pulling into Alliant, using the External Bank ach transfer system...NO holds when it arrives (which is the same day it gets pulled from the other bank....

Also, new accounts (like most banks and cus) are subject to a long hold period for the first 30 days after opening....It's 10 days for any check deposits, regardless of the amount (small or big)...

After the 30 days, check deposits availability are as follows:
First $2500 available immediately
$2500-$5,000 available second day after deposit
Remaining amount over $5,000 not more then 7 business days maximum

You can read it about it in the brochure that came with your welcome package.....

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1 2 345123
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014