• filter:
  • 199 100 101102103122
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
You can also deposit at certain coop atms (usually in credit unions) and 7-11 stores that have Vcom (not regular atms) which accepts scanned checks (deposit also goes through coop)...
they are "unofficially" on the Cu shared service network...in other words, apparently they are but they try to keep it "hush hush" because of the high expense of those transactions...best thing to do
is try it in your closest Cu shared location...and if it works then great but whatever you do...don't ask Alliant DIRECTLY about it...

For the deposit taking atm locations, use Alliant's atm locator and select that to check for them

rated:
craig10x said:   You can also deposit at certain coop atms (usually in credit unions) and 7-11 stores that have Vcom (not regular atms) which accepts scanned checks (deposit also goes through coop)...
they are "unofficially" on the Cu shared service network...in other words, apparently they are but they try to keep it "hush hush" because of the high expense of those transactions...best thing to do
is try it in your closest Cu shared location...and if it works then great but whatever you do...don't ask Alliant DIRECTLY about it...

For the deposit taking atm locations, use Alliant's atm locator and select that to check for them

Yeah that was the problem I ran in to. All the nearest ATMs only took checks but I had not gone inside to ask if they could take cash for another institution's account. I emailed Alliant about it and they never got back to me.

rated:
ChiGuy121 said:   @ Skadoo, Bluechalk, and Pessimist - thanks for your suggestions. This is definitely doable -- it looks like I'll just need to send in an application in the mail and have us share a login ID. It's frustrating to me that 1) I can't do this all online, especially when we already have the same exact joint registration on two other accounts and 2) that we have to share one member ID, since she won't necessarily know the answers to all my security questions. This is workable, but not ideal. I sent a secure email to Alliant this morning, so we'll see if they come back with anything different/useful. Thanks.

For anyone that is interested, here is the email reply that I got from Alliant:

I was somewhat disappointed. Why is the rep telling me how to join if I am sending a message from my online account? Also, it appears that joint account holders cannot have their own access to the same account.

Thank you for your email.

To apply for membership, you have a few options:

1) You can apply electronicall y by visiting our website (www.alliantcreditunion.com), clicking on the How to Join dropdown (toward the top of the page), and clic king on the orange Join Online button.

2) You can complete and mail a paper application which can be found on the right side of the following page: http://w ww.alliantcreditunion.org/membership/eligibility/ Should you decide to complete a paper application, please be sure to comple te all necessary fields and include a clear copy of valid government iss ued ID (such as a Driverís License or Passport)

You r wife will need to apply for her own account. She will be the primary owner.&nbs p; You can be added as a joint owner on the account.

May we suggest you do the paper applications and fax or mail this to our Account Services Department.

Whe n you use On Line Banking, each account will need to be logged into seperately. Yo u are not able to view all the accounts with one login id.
Please let us know if we can be of any further service.

We appreciate your business and look forward to serving your financial needs.

Alliant Credit Union

rated:
Any knowledge of Alliant gaining the ability to cash checks via smartphone picture like other banks are rolling out?

rated:
Can't resist chiming in with praise for eDeposit Plus. Used it today for the first time. Nice.

Since I just started using an iPhone, I'm also wondering about the capability CowbellMaster mentions in the preceding post.

rated:
I just want to say that I like scanning with a scanner much better than taking pictures with smart phone. With the scanner the process is much more predictable, and I feel it's more secure. Once I figured out the scanner settings and transformations (B&W, sharpen, jpeg quality), my checks go through the first time every time. Not so with smartphones which I've used a few times with other banks for curiosity -- the lighting is different every time, hand shakes, etc. And who knows where these apps store the images, what other apps have access there, and how they wipe them...

rated:
CowbellMaster said:   Any knowledge of Alliant gaining the ability to cash checks via smartphone picture like other banks are rolling out?

I asked Alliant about this in November, which is when I realized the ATM one block from my house had been dropped as deposit taking and the next closest was four or so miles away. Here's the answer I received:

"Thank you for your email. We are currently looki ng into updating our mobile banking application so that members will be able to hav e this feature. Unfortunately we do not have a certain time as to when the up date will be available but it is currently being worked on. We do apologize for the deposits not being able to be accepted at Plus network ATM's."

rated:
I had a generic question, regarding which I have been always confused. Which of the following count towards the 6 monthly transaction limits?
- incoming ACH transfer
- outgoing ACH transfer
- ATM withdrawal
- ATM deposit
- check deposit

Responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

rated:
crazee85 said:   I had a generic question, regarding which I have been always confused. Which of the following count towards the 6 monthly transaction limits?
- incoming ACH transfer
- outgoing ACH transfer
- ATM withdrawal
- ATM deposit
- check deposit

Responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Only outs count. Per Reg D.

ATM outs don't count.

Reg D

rated:
Dup

rated:
clutchcargo777 said:   
Only outs count. Per Reg D.

ATM outs don't count.

Reg D

very helpful link... thanks a lot...

rated:
olegos said:   I just want to say that I like scanning with a scanner much better than taking pictures with smart phone. With the scanner the process is much more predictable, and I feel it's more secure.
I've never used a smartphone check deposit app at another financial institution, but I hope that Alliant does not jump on the smartphone bandwagon only to abandon eDepositPlus -- it's a great feature that truly distinguishes Alliant, and I hope they continue to support it. Perhaps I am unusual, but I have a scanner and not a smartphone.

rated:
beethovengirl said:   olegos said:   I just want to say that I like scanning with a scanner much better than taking pictures with smart phone. With the scanner the process is much more predictable, and I feel it's more secure.
I've never used a smartphone check deposit app at another financial institution, but I hope that Alliant does not jump on the smartphone bandwagon only to abandon eDepositPlus -- it's a great feature that truly distinguishes Alliant, and I hope they continue to support it. Perhaps I am unusual, but I have a scanner and not a smartphone.

That's cool, but owning a scanner would add about 10% to the physical volume of my worldly possessions. A relatively fragile 10% at that.

rated:
craig10x said:   clearanceman said:   Oh, the irony. I left my kids' savings in Alliant and a token amount in their savings and moved everything last year to Evantage. Now Evantage is lower than Alliant. Just moved everything back to Alliant. 1.15% is now a great rate. I guess in a couple years .25 will be a great rate.

That's why it's best to not rate hop...just leave it with Alliant and you can't go wrong

Except now it's down to 1.0%. I have great timing. I don't know if it's time to move it back. I guess all savings will be down to .25% in the next year or two.

rated:
clearanceman said:   craig10x said:   clearanceman said:   Oh, the irony. I left my kids' savings in Alliant and a token amount in their savings and moved everything last year to Evantage. Now Evantage is lower than Alliant. Just moved everything back to Alliant. 1.15% is now a great rate. I guess in a couple years .25 will be a great rate.

That's why it's best to not rate hop...just leave it with Alliant and you can't go wrong

Except now it's down to 1.0%. I have great timing. I don't know if it's time to move it back. I guess all savings will be down to .25% in the next year or two.

Yes...but the difference with Alliant is they rarely lower the rates...took them a whole year to only drop it slightly...and they have a long term reputation for the highest rates with the least frequent drops...so why move it somewhere else and maybe get a smidgen more, then see it drop at that place after a short while and then have to move it again...and then meanwhile...how much did you actually gain for the short time you got a tad more?

Up to you of course...but it wouldn't be worth the time and energy to me to bother

Aside from that, i would rather remain loyal to Alliant and keep the bulk of my cash with them to show my support and appreciation for not only their consistent great rates, terrific free atm coverage, excellent customer service, services they provide, etc etc...

Well, that is the way i view it anyway...you may have a different "outlook" on this...

rated:
I got a letter today from Alliant saying I'm enrolled in "Courtesy Pay" overdraft coverage. I don't think I signed up for that and certainly not recently. Not complaining, I'm just going to call them up and get it disabled, but just a heads-up in case it's a widespread system glitch or something.

rated:
psm321 said:   I got a letter today from Alliant saying I'm enrolled in "Courtesy Pay" overdraft coverage. I don't think I signed up for that and certainly not recently. Not complaining, I'm just going to call them up and get it disabled, but just a heads-up in case it's a widespread system glitch or something.

Alliant is so awesome. I just accidentally wrote a check when my checking balance was low (had plenty in the savings). Alliant sent me a nice overdraft letter with "Overdraft fee: $0" at the bottom.

Compare that to what would happen at Wells Fargo!

Edit: I checked my account and they actually charged me $3 but that is still dirt cheap!

rated:
Capital One just lowered the interest rate for my savings, and I am interested in closing down all of my accounts there and moving money to a credit union. I am trying to decide whether PenFed or Alliant is better. Apologies, I'm sure this has been done to death in this thread, but it is four years old and 100 pages long, so I'll just ask.

A couple things I'm wondering:
1. Which is easier to join? I live in Texas, far from either.
2. If anyone knows, how does their security compare to a major bank's?
3. Does either of them have the option for a MasterCard debit? I can only find mentions of a Visa debit on Alliant's site.

Thanks in advance, and sorry again for the presumed repetition

rated:
Both! - Alliant for deposits, Penfed for credit cards.

rated:
JTausTX said:   Capital One just lowered the interest rate for my savings, and I am interested in closing down all of my accounts there and moving money to a credit union. I am trying to decide whether PenFed or Alliant is better. Apologies, I'm sure this has been done to death in this thread, but it is four years old and 100 pages long, so I'll just ask.

A couple things I'm wondering:
1. Which is easier to join? I live in Texas, far from either.
2. If anyone knows, how does their security compare to a major bank's?
3. Does either of them have the option for a MasterCard debit? I can only find mentions of a Visa debit on Alliant's site.

Thanks in advance, and sorry again for the presumed repetition
1. Both should be easy to join.
2. I do not know if their security compares to the major bank's. Penfed had issues previously, and offered 2 years of access. I do not know if Alliance has ever had an issue with security.
3. I see no MasterCard option, but I like Penfed for the Visa Cash account CC(5% Gas).

My 20 YO son was able to apply and receive a Pfed Visa (started at $1k), so I do not think it should be difficult to obtain. However, I use AMEX when I buy items which need an extended warranty. My 2 cents.

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   Both! - Alliant for deposits, Penfed for credit cards.
This exactly.

rated:
1) easy to join Alliant Cu....just make a $10 contribution to the orphans foundation that they sponsor (as shown in membership eligibility section) that will qualify you automatically...
2) As far as i know their security is fine...never had any problems with that...
3) They have Visa Debit Cards only...no mastercard

They are consistent for always having extremely high rates and rarely drop them (unlike others do)...i keep most of my cash with them
Great customer service, online banking and bill pay and outstanding free atm access (80,000 atms nationwide)...one of the best CU's i have ever been with...

rated:
If you print out and fill out the PDF membership form they'll do the donation for you. That's money in credit union!

rated:
So from reading the last few posts it looks like Alliant will allow checks to cash if there is enough in savings to cover it - is that accurate? What if the check is a large one? ie. you have 60k in savings and 1k in checking and a 10k check is presented?

rated:
CowbellMaster said:   So from reading the last few posts it looks like Alliant will allow checks to cash if there is enough in savings to cover it - is that accurate? What if the check is a large one? ie. you have 60k in savings and 1k in checking and a 10k check is presented?

I'm somewhat sure that an overdraft fee applies when you need to reach into your savings to cover an overdrafted checking account in alliant. I've never tried it myself though.

rated:
psm321 said:   I got a letter today from Alliant saying I'm enrolled in "Courtesy Pay" overdraft coverage. I don't think I signed up for that and certainly not recently. Not complaining, I'm just going to call them up and get it disabled, but just a heads-up in case it's a widespread system glitch or something.

My hope is that you opted-in when you opened the account and it finally kicked in after 6 months (which is the time it takes for courtesy-pay to be available to new members). The reason I hope this is the case is that AFAIK, it is against regulations for a bank or CU to automatically enroll someone in overdraft protection service. This was passed a couple years ago and I hope Alliant didn't goof on this. It is certainly a very big deal if they enrolled you automatically.

rated:
grahz said:   CowbellMaster said:   So from reading the last few posts it looks like Alliant will allow checks to cash if there is enough in savings to cover it - is that accurate? What if the check is a large one? ie. you have 60k in savings and 1k in checking and a 10k check is presented?

I'm somewhat sure that an overdraft fee applies when you need to reach into your savings to cover an overdrafted checking account in alliant. I've never tried it myself though.

It's $3. Which may as well be free compared to most banks.

rated:
sfchris said:   grahz said:   CowbellMaster said:   So from reading the last few posts it looks like Alliant will allow checks to cash if there is enough in savings to cover it - is that accurate? What if the check is a large one? ie. you have 60k in savings and 1k in checking and a 10k check is presented?

yea but the Courtesy Pay is the one more equivalent to what most banks call overdraft protection. That is $25 per occurrence at Alliant.

rated:
sfchris said:   grahz said:   CowbellMaster said:   So from reading the last few posts it looks like Alliant will allow checks to cash if there is enough in savings to cover it - is that accurate? What if the check is a large one? ie. you have 60k in savings and 1k in checking and a 10k check is presented?

Was $10 until sometime last year. Can you imagine a financial institution actually lowering a fee 70% when they're not required to do so by law? Only Alliant.

rated:
glitchathon said:   sfchris said:   grahz said:   CowbellMaster said:   So from reading the last few posts it looks like Alliant will allow checks to cash if there is enough in savings to cover it - is that accurate? What if the check is a large one? ie. you have 60k in savings and 1k in checking and a 10k check is presented?

yea but the Courtesy Pay is the one more equivalent to what most banks call overdraft protection. That is $25 per occurrence at Alliant.

But at least it only kicks in if there are insufficient funds in savings to cover the check (with that minor $3 fee for the automatic transfer).

rated:
What did surprise me is that Alliant charged me a $15 "returned deposit item" fee when a small recurring ACH deposit failed, as I had forgotten to cancel it after I closed my account at the target CU. I was surprised because I didn't think fees ever applied for failed ACH's. And doesn't "deposit item" sound like a check? Regardless, they agreed to do a one-time fee reversal for me.

rated:
I wonder if they would charge this "returned deposit item" fee if they reject eDepositPlus deposit (not if the check bounces, but if they themselves reject it for some reason, such as pay-to not exactly matching account owner, problem with endorsement, etc.)

rated:
I had an eDepositPlus scanned check rejected because the amount of the "numbers" didn't match the "words". There was no fee, just a reversal of the deposit.

olegos said:   I wonder if they would charge this "returned deposit item" fee if they reject eDepositPlus deposit (not if the check bounces, but if they themselves reject it for some reason, such as pay-to not exactly matching account owner, problem with endorsement, etc.)

rated:
I think I was charged a fee for a failed eDeposit once (forgot the reason), but it was reversed when I called.

rated:
As another data point, I ran into an error during an edeposit and ended up entering the check again. A day later I noticed that both deposits were shown on my report. After a call to them, they made an equal debit to my account for the value (as opposed to removing the second deposit). I did not incur any fees.

rated:
CowbellMaster said:   So from reading the last few posts it looks like Alliant will allow checks to cash if there is enough in savings to cover it - is that accurate? What if the check is a large one? ie. you have 60k in savings and 1k in checking and a 10k check is presented?

This is one of those very rare instances where size does not matter. Using your example, even if the check were for the entire available amount in your savings, the fee would still be just $3. I've actually made this error [I screwed up big time] for amounts much larger than in your example. I really got down on myself when I realized my error and I prepared for a big hit. When the $3 penalty charge came through I felt like I had won the lottery: such a big mistake . . . such a small penalty!!

Alliant rules.

rated:
Anyone notice a dramatic decline in their transfer limit? I have been a member there for a few years. At first it was $10,000 a day. Then they increased it to $25,000. But for the last couple years I have only had $100 or so in a savings account (after they dramatically cut their interest rates). Today I tried a significant transfer into Alliant (I was planning to transfer it out in a few days), and they said my transfer limit was $1,000.

When did they change their policy?

rated:
Grobe said:   Anyone notice a dramatic decline in their transfer limit? I have been a member there for a few years. At first it was $10,000 a day. Then they increased it to $25,000. But for the last couple years I have only had $100 or so in a savings account (after they dramatically cut their interest rates). Today I tried a significant transfer into Alliant (I was planning to transfer it out in a few days), and they said my transfer limit was $1,000.

When did they change their policy?

I haven't noticed a change.
I still keep a fair amount in the account and use Alliant CU as my hub.
So no, I still have the $100K limit!

rated:
Grobe: when did Alliant dramatically cut the rates...after holding the same rate for a full year they cut by approx .10% last month...that's a big cut to you???
In terms of over the years...well it's been a long time since anyone was paying 5% who didn't drop over the years?
Certainly Alliant dropped much less frequently then the majority of banks and cu's out there...that has always been their reputation...they only drop rates when the have to...

rated:
Craig
His ? was less about Interest, More about Transfers.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 199 100 101102103122
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014