• filter:
  • 1113 114 115116117120
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Terrible BT experience.

I initiaiated an Alliant cc BT.
Not shown up at my Barclays cc after 15 days.
Alliant did not even send out the BT check until 1 week after I asked.
Alliant said their BT take 3 weeks!

Definately not going to do this again.

rated:
Is there a way to get a different image on the card, the beach scene is ugly as can be.

I talked to someone at the bank and they said call the number on the back, did so, and they said call the bank.

rated:
nwill002 said:   has anyone done an outgoing Alliant wire transfer at a shared branch location?

No, but it's quite easy to do by fax. Fill out the form and send a copy of your ID. They will call you to confirm, and it goes out the same day (they process the batches at 12, 2, and 4, I think).

rated:
sloppy1 said:   Terrible BT experience.

I initiated an Alliant cc BT.
Not shown up at my Barclays cc after 15 days.
Alliant did not even send out the BT check until 1 week after I asked.
Alliant said their BT take 3 weeks!

Definitely not going to do this again.

It will show up soon. But let me tell you how I handle this. I also use a balance transfer (BT) from my Alliant credit card account to pay off my Barclays Priceline card. My Priceline statement closed last evening. This morning, early, I did the balance transfer. It usually doesn't take three weeks. But if it does: no bigee.

Before I got the hang of this, as regards timing, I actually did a double payment. One payment went via BT and the other using Alliant's bill payer service. I merely requested my (other) credit card bank return the over payment, which they did.

Now off the topic of your post:

When I did my BT this morning, on the net, I received a red warning that my transfer had NOT gone through. It said I should call Alliant. Instead, I tried a second time to put through the BT. It worked the second time. But it was annoying when it did not work the first time because they require all the information to be entered manually.

rated:
What does using the Alliant BT as payment do for you? Is this just for an additional 1 month float?

rated:
CowbellMaster said:   What does using the Alliant BT as payment do for you? Is this just for an additional 1 month float?

Actually a bunch of us has one year of interest-free privilege on our Alliant cards. That, along with the balance transfer being free, leaves us pretty much with a no-brainer. Everything will be paid off in full just prior to expiration of the interest-free privilege; but not until then.

rated:
HEPennypacker said:   nwill002 said:   has anyone done an outgoing Alliant wire transfer at a shared branch location?

No, but it's quite easy to do by fax. Fill out the form and send a copy of your ID. They will call you to confirm, and it goes out the same day (they process the batches at 12, 2, and 4, I think).

ya i ended up having to go by fax which was a hassle for my experience. I had to scan in a copy of my ID and was on the phone for a good 20 minutes with a rep to give her the wiring instructions on her end. Not to mention I dont have a fax machine

rated:
Can someone let me know the cheapest membership I can buy that will allow me to join Alliant?

Thanks!

rated:
I don't know about 'cheapest' but 'easiest' is the $10 donation here:

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/membership/eligibility/ofa/

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   I don't know about 'cheapest' but 'easiest' is the $10 donation here:

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/membership/eligibility/ofa/

Cool. That's what I thought. To confirm - I also need to have a minimum $5 deposited into Alliant in order to be a member, right?

rated:
I believe that's correct.

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   I believe that's correct.

That is correct...there will be a $5 hold on it as long as you are a member of the credit union...that represents your "share" in Alliant CU...

rated:
Alliant interest rate has been on a downward spiral. Now it is just 0.70%. Even lower than ING. ACU's CD rate is also pathetic - 0.70% for next 4 years. I don't really see any good reason to park my cash with them. What do you guys think?

rated:
kickerstarter said:   Alliant interest rate has been on a downward spiral. Now it is just 0.70%. Even lower than ING. ACU's CD rate is also pathetic - 0.70% for next 4 years. I don't really see any good reason to park my cash with them. What do you guys think?

It does seem that they've generated a lot of deposits over the past year to not justify keeping the good rates that they had maintained for a while. Still, I'm not going too move my checking account elsewhere for 20 bps, I'm comfortable in my routine of Alliant's bill pay and what not, but if I kept my investments in cash I would certainly move some funds to other banks and cu's.

rated:
I'll stick with Alliant for the time being, I like their interface and there are just too many auto-pays coming out of my checking account there.

Also, 0.7% is only slightly more pathetic than every other liquid account out there. When I'm losing more than $50 a year after taxes on my emergency fund I'll start lazily looking at alternatives.

rated:
Most of the banks and credit unions have been on a downward spiral...so if you start hopping around to different ones, to get a small advantage, you may soon find their rates dropping too...True, Barclays is still high...but that's only because they are new and are trying to attract new deposits...so, who knows how long even that one will stay high?

I keep mine with Alliant as they have always tried to keep their rates as high as they can reasonably afford to do (without making bad loans...lol)...and they have been pretty consistent over the years...also, they provide nice services like good online banking, very good bill pay, and fantastic access to tons of atms all around the country...
In fact, i can't think of any other Credit Union that has ever had savings rates as high as Alliant has...

rated:
I really love Alliant, but I just moved my emergency fund over to Barclays. I left a little bit at Alliant to keep the account open, in the hopes that one day they'll return to their former glory but... it's an emergency fund... I'm not using billpay/checking/etc. I just need a place to park cash and transfer it in/it occassionally...

rated:
Agreed, I've also moved the majority of my emergency cash funds out from Alliant to other banks/CUs. But Alliant's fast ACH transfers still come in very handy now and then.

rated:
So what are these banks/CUs you are moving to paying?

rated:
Hi, I just started browsing this discussion board within the past couple weeks. I have not seen a discussion about Alliant's personal line of credit, which it no longer offers. Any one know if Alliant can link its credit card as overdraft protection or Alliant will offer a line of credit product in the future? thanks!

rated:
Argyll said:   So what are these banks/CUs you are moving to paying?
I'm still getting 1% from my Barclays Online Savings account. Plus I'm starting to switch more towards RCAs instead, which offer a much higher rate (albeit with more work too, of course).

rated:
Am sticking at Alliant. It's a good place to do business. And their website . . for me anyway . . rocks!

rated:
Does alliant Billpayer send out a cashiers check or what? Can someone provide a check image? I'm trying to pay a payee that doesn't accept personal checks, so I'm hoping it's like drawn from the banks funds.

rated:
franksloan said:   Does alliant Billpayer send out a cashiers check or what? Can someone provide a check image? I'm trying to pay a payee that doesn't accept personal checks, so I'm hoping it's like drawn from the banks funds.The check is not drawn using my account/routing number. The check has Alliant's logo on it, along with a "from" address for WRG. It is not, however, a cashier's check. The check has a notation indicating "Paying for the account of" and my name, along with a line "For credit to account #" and the account number I entered when doing the billpay.

rated:
MidnightLight said:   Argyll said:   So what are these banks/CUs you are moving to paying?
I'm still getting 1% from my Barclays Online Savings account. Plus I'm starting to switch more towards RCAs instead, which offer a much higher rate (albeit with more work too, of course).

I'm starting to wonder if that rate (Barclay's) will last...i noticed that they no longer have only a 90 day penalty on CDs over 1 year (it's been increased to 6 months)...that's why i would not be too surprised if they drop the savings rate next...they must have gotten a lot of funds in there in the past year...and you know what happens when that happens...

Others like TIAA Cref and Ally recently dropped their rates too...

I think that is why i stopped trying to rate chase quite a long time ago...

rated:
One factor that may help keep the Barclays rate up is that their online bank was launched primarily to fund their US credit card business, so they may need to keep attracting new deposits. And I would imagine that with that purpose in mind, 1% isn't really breaking the bank for them.

Here's an article from last year about it (not sure if subscription is required):
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304488504577384100...

rated:
Interesting article...that is a good point, you could be right about that...they would tend to want to keep the rate up if they want to keep attracting new deposits...and a high rate does make a good "selling point" in their advertisements (like one i saw this month on the back cover of the latest issue of Money magazine)...

Hmmm...tempting me now to open one (lol) I may do that...though of course i will also keep money with Alliant too
It's a great credit union and i certainly appreciate all their services...and enjoy using them...

rated:
dwt79 said:   One factor that may help keep the Barclays rate up is that their online bank was launched primarily to fund their US credit card business, so they may need to keep attracting new deposits. And I would imagine that with that purpose in mind, 1% isn't really breaking the bank for them.

Here's an article from last year about it (not sure if subscription is required):
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304488504577384100...

If they can borrow money more cheaply from other sources, they will.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   If they can borrow money more cheaply from other sources, they will.

Looks like they want to have a good mix of funding from deposits and through capital markets:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/16/abs-credit-idUSL1E8MGB...

rated:
does anyone have bill pay setup for Chase through their Alliant account as electronic payment? When I set it up, it shows up as a paper check payment.

rated:
everything shows up as a paper check payment at first. You need to wait until after the first payment to find out if it is check or electronic.

For me, chase is electronic.

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   everything shows up as a paper check payment at first. You need to wait until after the first payment to find out if it is check or electronic.

Exactly, that Chase should switch over to electronic when they actually make the first payment...that's how their bill pay always works...all get listed as paper when you add them..
Those that can go electronic "switch" when first payment is made...

rated:
Craig, what's really weird is that Alliant's own credit card doesn't show up as electronic. Have you found that to be the case as well?

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   Craig, what's really weird is that Alliant's own credit card doesn't show up as electronic. Have you found that to be the case as well?

I don't have Alliant's credit card, although i would think that the reason for that is that since it's their card (and not an outside vendor) the payment probably simply gets transferred instead of transmitted through the normal electronic bill pay transfer system...

I have my local banking account with Chase, and i also have one of their credit cards, now...if i make a bill payment to an outside vendor it goes either electronic or paper (depending on whether they accept electronic) but if i make a payment to my Chase credit card, it is simply directly transferred just as if i transferred money from my Chase Savings to my Chase Checking...
No doubt Alliant (and most banks/cus) probably work the same way...

rated:
I've heard others report that Alliant's own credit card is payed by check. It's pretty strange, but that's the behavior I've heard from others.

Penfed is another payee that is paid by check, unfortunately. It drives me nuts. If your bank uses Checkfree bill pay, the payment is sent to Penfed electronically.

rated:
I pay my Alliant Visa with a transfer instead of a payment through the bill pay. Works great.

rated:
DrForce said:   I've heard others report that Alliant's own credit card is payed by check. It's pretty strange, but that's the behavior I've heard from others.

Penfed is another payee that is paid by check, unfortunately. It drives me nuts. If your bank uses Checkfree bill pay, the payment is sent to Penfed electronically.

Yeah, I can back you up on that. I was just looking at my payee list a couple of hours ago. Got a bunch of 'em. Every one says "electronic" except for my Alliant CC, which says "check".

Hey, the payments are going through just fine. It takes maybe an extra day, at most. I have no complaints at all. They probably have a reason for doing it the way they do.

rated:
olegos said:   I pay my Alliant Visa with a transfer instead of a payment through the bill pay. Works great.

The problem is you can't schedule monthly payments. It's easier to set up once in the bill pay (at least for the duration of my 0% balance transfer.
)

rated:
craig10x said:   tjguitar85 said:   everything shows up as a paper check payment at first. You need to wait until after the first payment to find out if it is check or electronic.

Exactly, that Chase should switch over to electronic when they actually make the first payment...that's how their bill pay always works...all get listed as paper when you add them..
Those that can go electronic "switch" when first payment is made...

ok thanks, i have almost a dozen bill payees and havent realized this until I seen chase show up as paper payment.

rated:

offer desc (125.58kB)
Disclaimer

offer desc (120.31kB)
Disclaimer

t&c (145.76kB)
Disclaimer
I don't have an Alliant checking account, I just got an offer for $50 bonus if I open one and:

Opt of of paper statements and recieve eStatements only, and
Make at least one electronic deposit to checking each month.

Enter Promo Code J914

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1113 114 115116117120
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014