Tax Assessment Correction Companies

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I've gotten a few letters lateley from "Assessment Correction Group of NY". It sounds like they want the opportunity to challenge my current property taxes for me.

In exchange, I agree to pay 50% of 1st years reduction they might obtain within 30 days of reduction. I may also need to pay a $30 court filing fee if the case requires appeal, and $75 appraisal fee if they succeed in getting a reduction. "NO REDUCTION, NO FEE".

Sounds like a reasonable proposition. I'm sure I could go an appeal on my own, but learning the process, filling out docs, etc is work I'd rather leave to someone experienced in doing this. 50% of 1st year's saving is a reasonable price.

Any catch to this? I've googled and found that similiar companies exist across the country, but I haven't heard any feedback from anyone that' used them.

Is this worth persuing or a waste of time that's going to actually cost me $$?

Thoughts??

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I am in the same situation. Did you find out anything? Appreciate an answer.

I don't know the New York system. In Cook County Illinois, I didn't like my assessed value and did an appeal myself which was a pretty simple process. I had to fill out some forms, take pictures of other comparables and show up at a three-minute hearing. I got a decent reduction in the assessed value. I was happy I did the appeal myself.

The next year, I hired a lawyer with an arrangement like the one you describe. The lawyer was eventually able to reduce the assessed value even further than the reduction I had gotten on my own. I was happy to pay the 50% knowing I had given it my best shot the first time.

I actually got a letter from our county assessor (Alameda County, CA) warning about these companies, and letting me know that I can do the same thing for free by filling out a simple form on assessor's web site.

gcap said: I've gotten a few letters lateley from "Assessment Correction Group of NY". It sounds like they want the opportunity to challenge my current property taxes for me.

In exchange, I agree to pay 50% of 1st years reduction they might obtain within 30 days of reduction. I may also need to pay a $30 court filing fee if the case requires appeal, and $75 appraisal fee if they succeed in getting a reduction. "NO REDUCTION, NO FEE".

Sounds like a reasonable proposition. I'm sure I could go an appeal on my own, but learning the process, filling out docs, etc is work I'd rather leave to someone experienced in doing this. 50% of 1st year's saving is a reasonable price.

Any catch to this? I've googled and found that similiar companies exist across the country, but I haven't heard any feedback from anyone that' used them.

Is this worth persuing or a waste of time that's going to actually cost me $$?

Unfortunately I came across this posting too late to respond prior to the filing deadline your area. I am the Vice President of Assessment Correction Group of NY. My self and my partner have successfully fought over-assessment in other counties in NYS for close to 20 years saving homeowners millions of dollars. We wouldn't have been able to stay in business for so long if we were not a legitimate company. Together, we've probably represented over 100,000 homeowners who only pay when we are successful. I'd be happy to discuss your particular situation with you. I can be reached at 845-294-1550
Claire Gangi
Assessment Correction Group.

Thoughts??

I signed up at the recommendation of a co-worker who knew someone who used a certani company before with good results. I think the deal sounded pretty good. The only thing I was warned about was the contract you sign is to use their services yearly. So you'll have to opt out after the dispute is through if you don't want use their services the next year.

Thoreau said: I don't know the New York system. In Cook County Illinois, I didn't like my assessed value and did an appeal myself which was a pretty simple process. I had to fill out some forms, take pictures of other comparables and show up at a three-minute hearing. I got a decent reduction in the assessed value. I was happy I did the appeal myself.

The next year, I hired a lawyer with an arrangement like the one you describe. The lawyer was eventually able to reduce the assessed value even further than the reduction I had gotten on my own. I was happy to pay the 50% knowing I had given it my best shot the first time.

I am familiar my county's assessment system. I think this approach makes the most sense. However, if you just bought your house recently, the lawyer will not add any value since your purchase price will be indisputable. A lawyer will help if you have owned your house for a while and have modified the improvement.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014