• Page :
  • Text Only
===Discounts===
Air Bag
You could qualify for a discount of up to 25 percent for driver-side air bags or 40 percent for full-front seat air bags. These discounts apply to the medical payments or personal injury portion of your premium.

Anti-lock Brake System
Cars with a factory installed anti-lock braking system could earn you a discount of 5 percent on the collision portion of your premium.

Anti-theft System
Cars with a built-in anti-theft system could earn you a discount of up to 25 percent on the comprehensive portion of your premium.

Associate
If you are employed by, or retired from, GEICO, Berkshire Hathaway or any 80% or more owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, you may be eligible for an 8 percent discount on your insurance premium.

College Graduate
College graduates could be eligible for up to a 15 percent discount on certain coverages. Eligible policyholders must be age 25 or younger, single, have graduated from a four-year college or university, and attained a 3.0/B average or better. This discount is only available in Arkansas.

Daytime Running Lights
Vehicles equipped with Daytime Running Lights as standard equipment could earn you a 3 percent discount on certain coverages.

Defensive Driving Discounts
Did you know that GEICO offers a discount for completing a defensive driving course? To find out if you qualify, see the defensive driving information related to your state.

Driverís Education
If a young driver in your family has completed a driverís education course, you may earn a discount on most coverages.

Emergency Deployment
We offer an added benefit to United States military policyholders who are deployed as a result of a military emergency to Iraq or Afghanistan. Qualified policyholders could be eligible for a discount of up to 25 percent. For a pre-deployment checklist please see our military programs page.

Five-year Accident-free Good Driver
Drivers who have been accident-free for five years may qualify for discounts of up to 26 percent on most coverages.

Good Student
Drivers who are full time students could be eligible for up to a 15 percent discount on certain coverages. For most states, policyholders between the ages of 16 and 25, who are full-time students with a "B" average or better, are eligible for this discount.

Hybrid Vehicle Discount
We are green too! Introducing GEICOís Hybrid Vehicle Discount. Hybrid vehicle owners may be eligible to receive a 5% discount on certain coverages. This discount is available in California and Pennsylvania only.

Louisiana Military Discount
Active duty military personnel stationed at a base in Louisiana could qualify for an additional military discount.

Military
If you are on active duty, retired from the Military, or a member of the National Guard or Reserves, you may be eligible for a discount of up to 15 percent on your total insurance premium.

Motorcycle Safety
Motorcycle policyholders who live in North Carolina and have completed or instructed one of the following motorcycle safety courses could be eligible for a discount on certain coverages.
* Motorcycle Rider Course which meets the standards established by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Rider Education Program.
* Experienced Rider Course which meets the standards established by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
* Military Safety Course which is a motorcycle safety course (other than the Motorcycle safety Foundation courses) offered at a military installation and approved by the Commanding Officer.
* Instructors must be certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

Multi-car
Insure more than one car with us and you could get a discount of up to 25 percent on most coverages.

Partnering Organization
If you belong to one of the 200+ groups affiliated with GEICO, you could receive an additional 8 percent discount on your total insurance premium.

Professional Group
If you or your spouse is a graduate student, a professional federal employee in an administrative or technical position, or a member of one of the professional groups affiliated with GEICO, you could be eligible for a discount of up to 27 percent. This discount is only available in Arizona, California and Wisconsin.

Seat Belt Use
If you and your passengers always wear seat belts, you may receive a discount of 15 percent on the medical payments or personal injury protection portion of your premium.

Senior-Level Federal Employee
Senior-level federal employees could qualify for an 8 percent discount on the total insurance premium.

Renewal Discount
GEICO policyholders who continue to do business with us, may be eligible for renewal discounts of up to 30 percent.

Travelink
Private passenger vehicles may qualify for a 5 percent discount, if you participate in an employer sponsored Travelink Traffic Reduction ride-sharing program approved by the Delaware Department of Transportation.

===Special Programs===
Accident Forgiveness
If you've been an accident-free GEICO policyholder for five years, you may qualify for a surcharge waiver. That means even if you have an accident, your rates won't increase.

Guaranteed Policy Renewal
In certain states GEICO policyholders may qualify for lifetime guaranteed renewal. For more information on eligibility requirements please contact one of our counselors.

Student at School Rating
If your child is a student who is away at school and without a vehicle, you may qualify for a special rating on your policy.

PenFed certainly has its own GEICO entry, I used it last time I had coverage through Geico. (and NMFA may have a seperate one, but I joined Penfed while stationed overseas and not via that route)

Insurance rates have varied by state for me (Rhode Island, Texas, Virginia so far) and sometimes GEICO has been competitive and sometimes not. I used them until 21st Century moved to Texas, and as a new company in TX they were offering VERY good rates at the time. In RI I was with AIG I believe. Now I am in VA and with Travellers.

Be aware that many of your initial quotes will include a one-time discount to get you in the door. (Homeowners for me)

---

You can get competitive rates online at the cost of a few soft credit inquiries. Answer Financial was the site I used for the Travellers quote I eventually accepted.

Be very careful with ANY online generated quotes for Allstate. They are pretty much worthless. (I was very accurate on my entries - and they require a call to a call center who couldn't even come close to the quote engines low price) This doesn't include the upsale they try for their add-on packages. They may offer vehicle replacement as an example -- the fine detail is that its ONLY if you bought a new untitled vehicle for the first 3 years. (my 2 year old vehicle bought used did NOT qualify)

Not saying they won't be competitive -- I am saying just save time and call the center if you are interested.

-------

EVERY states actuarial tables are different. A company that is far and away the best deal in Texas is NOT the best deal in Virginia - even with identical information. (Progressive was my last company in TX, and it was TWICE as expensive as Travellers in VA)

I tend to work the quotes every other renewal unless my current rate is low enough that there isn't a lot of wiggle room. (I currently pay $550/6 months for a fairly robust full coverage on a fairly expensive vehicle -- with a clean driving record)

Obviously milage may vary.

i have geico here in OR, even without affiliate discount, I think I got a good rate (lower than AAA, Allstate, AIG and Ameriprise!).....obviously this was my first time with geico and their renewal notice just came with same 323$ premium (as the first 6 months)....

Geico members: Do you renegotiate premiums at renewal time? Any other strategies?

Geico is actually split into 3 companies each with their own discounts and pricing structure. In order of cheapest to most expensive, they are Geico General, Geico Indemnity, and Geico Casualty. Likewise, the General has the best driving records and Casualty the riskiest driving records. The company you are in is written on one of the policy documents. Only Geico General has the good student, association, and passive restraint discounts; there are probably others but those are the ones I was denied of when I wasn't in General.

It took 3-4 years before they moved me over to Geico General but coincidentally, that same renewal that they moved me to General was the same time that I had signed up to switch over to Liberty Mutual on the renewal date. A part of me thinks that I was offered General as some sort of retention. However, it would involve Liberty Mutual informing Geico of the planned switch over because I hadn't informed Geico before they sent me my policy documents. The irony of the move over to Geico General is that my 3 speeding tickets were keeping me from being moved from Indemnity to General, but in General, they ignore the tickets and give me the 5 year good drivers discount. No other insurer has yet to offer me rates close to Geico General or indication that I would be sorted into their equivalent "exclusive" category. I have a feeling that if I switched out of Geico entirely and switched back to Geico, I would not be offered Geico General.

I am not sure how they decide which company to put you in when you call in for a quote but I suspect the agents have some liberty to shuffle you around depending on how close your driving record qualifications put you to their boundaries, at least more liberty than the online quote system.

^^^ I am skeptical about GEICO being three separate companies, but my policy does say "Geico General" and I am ecstatic about their rates (which were 1.5-2 times lower than everyone else I got quotes from here in NY state), relatively speaking, of course. I was a good driver when I got their policy for the first time after a very long while ... Let's see if they want to keep me (in General or bump into Indemnity) after my wife's hitting another car this winter ... it's about time for me to receive the renewal letter, but it's not here yet ...

cyberkost said: ^^^ I am skeptical about GEICO being three separate companies, but my policy does say "Geico General" and I am ecstatic about their rates (which were 1.5-2 times lower than everyone else I got quotes from here in NY state), relatively speaking, of course. I was a good driver when I got their policy for the first time after a very long while ... Let's see if they want to keep me (in General or bump into Indemnity) after my wife's hitting another car this winter ... it's about time for me to receive the renewal letter, but it's not here yet ...

It took about 5-7 speeding tickets and 3-4 minor fender benders ($500~$1000 payouts) over a 3 year period for them to kick my brother from General to Indemnity. (It was really easy for him to get into General because he basically didn't drive for the first 5 years that he had his license.) Perhaps they would weigh larger accidents more but it certainly looked like an impressive list of marks on his record before they made this move.

I had to go through this recently, I live in NY as well and had Geico for almost 8 years.

Two cars, good driving record, DDC (Defensive Driving Class attended for both my wife and I), ABS brakes, alumni of college, and so on.

I started shopping around with other companies and settled with Liberty Mutual. They provided more coverage than Geico for two thirds of what Geico was willing (was paying $1800 with Geico, paying $1200 with Liberty Mutual. Two cars - one full coverage, to other liability).

Liberty Mutual coverage is yearly, compared to Geico which is per 6 month basis.
It is ironic, but I saved a bunch of money switching from Geico to Liberty Mutual.

by the way, I gave Geico a chance to at least match what Liberty Mutual was offering - the best they could do is take $ 50 off from each car - ridiculous!

abbubakir said: I had to go through this recently, I live in NY as well and had Geico for almost 8 years.

Two cars, good driving record, DDC (Defensive Driving Class attended for both my wife and I), ABS brakes, alumni of college, and so on.

I started shopping around with other companies and settled with Liberty Mutual. They provided more coverage than Geico for two thirds of what Geico was willing (was paying $1800 with Geico, paying $1200 with Liberty Mutual. Two cars - one full coverage, to other liability).

Liberty Mutual coverage is yearly, compared to Geico which is per 6 month basis.
It is ironic, but I saved a bunch of money switching from Geico to Liberty Mutual.

by the way, I gave Geico a chance to at least match what Liberty Mutual was offering - the best they could do is take $ 50 off from each car - ridiculous!

Hmm ... would you mind checking and posting what part of GEICO (general/indemnity/casualty) you were with? Asking, b/c I I'm in the very similar situation car'n'coverage-wise (but no DDC) and I'm paying only $700/year (to GEICO).

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. When I spoke to Geico on the phone this AM they weren't aware of certain discounts, namely Seat Belt Use or Renewal Discount. Has anyone been successful in getting either of these discounts.

I listed the discounts I am getting currently on page 1. Is anyone seeing any other discounts on the Geico website?

UselessDrivel said: ===Discounts===
Air Bag
You could qualify for a discount of up to 25 percent for driver-side air bags or 40 percent for full-front seat air bags. These discounts apply to the medical payments or personal injury portion of your premium.

Anti-lock Brake System
Cars with a factory installed anti-lock braking system could earn you a discount of 5 percent on the collision portion of your premium.

Anti-theft System
Cars with a built-in anti-theft system could earn you a discount of up to 25 percent on the comprehensive portion of your premium.

Associate
If you are employed by, or retired from, GEICO, Berkshire Hathaway or any 80% or more owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, you may be eligible for an 8 percent discount on your insurance premium.

College Graduate
College graduates could be eligible for up to a 15 percent discount on certain coverages. Eligible policyholders must be age 25 or younger, single, have graduated from a four-year college or university, and attained a 3.0/B average or better. This discount is only available in Arkansas.

Daytime Running Lights
Vehicles equipped with Daytime Running Lights as standard equipment could earn you a 3 percent discount on certain coverages.

Defensive Driving Discounts
Did you know that GEICO offers a discount for completing a defensive driving course? To find out if you qualify, see the defensive driving information related to your state.

Driverís Education
If a young driver in your family has completed a driverís education course, you may earn a discount on most coverages.

Emergency Deployment
We offer an added benefit to United States military policyholders who are deployed as a result of a military emergency to Iraq or Afghanistan. Qualified policyholders could be eligible for a discount of up to 25 percent. For a pre-deployment checklist please see our military programs page.

Five-year Accident-free Good Driver
Drivers who have been accident-free for five years may qualify for discounts of up to 26 percent on most coverages.

Good Student
Drivers who are full time students could be eligible for up to a 15 percent discount on certain coverages. For most states, policyholders between the ages of 16 and 25, who are full-time students with a "B" average or better, are eligible for this discount.

Hybrid Vehicle Discount
We are green too! Introducing GEICOís Hybrid Vehicle Discount. Hybrid vehicle owners may be eligible to receive a 5% discount on certain coverages. This discount is available in California and Pennsylvania only.

Louisiana Military Discount
Active duty military personnel stationed at a base in Louisiana could qualify for an additional military discount.

Military
If you are on active duty, retired from the Military, or a member of the National Guard or Reserves, you may be eligible for a discount of up to 15 percent on your total insurance premium.

Motorcycle Safety
Motorcycle policyholders who live in North Carolina and have completed or instructed one of the following motorcycle safety courses could be eligible for a discount on certain coverages.
* Motorcycle Rider Course which meets the standards established by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Rider Education Program.
* Experienced Rider Course which meets the standards established by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
* Military Safety Course which is a motorcycle safety course (other than the Motorcycle safety Foundation courses) offered at a military installation and approved by the Commanding Officer.
* Instructors must be certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

Multi-car
Insure more than one car with us and you could get a discount of up to 25 percent on most coverages.

Partnering Organization
If you belong to one of the 200+ groups affiliated with GEICO, you could receive an additional 8 percent discount on your total insurance premium.

Professional Group
If you or your spouse is a graduate student, a professional federal employee in an administrative or technical position, or a member of one of the professional groups affiliated with GEICO, you could be eligible for a discount of up to 27 percent. This discount is only available in Arizona, California and Wisconsin.

Seat Belt Use
If you and your passengers always wear seat belts, you may receive a discount of 15 percent on the medical payments or personal injury protection portion of your premium.

Senior-Level Federal Employee
Senior-level federal employees could qualify for an 8 percent discount on the total insurance premium.

Renewal Discount
GEICO policyholders who continue to do business with us, may be eligible for renewal discounts of up to 30 percent.

Travelink
Private passenger vehicles may qualify for a 5 percent discount, if you participate in an employer sponsored Travelink Traffic Reduction ride-sharing program approved by the Delaware Department of Transportation.

===Special Programs===
Accident Forgiveness
If you've been an accident-free GEICO policyholder for five years, you may qualify for a surcharge waiver. That means even if you have an accident, your rates won't increase.

Guaranteed Policy Renewal
In certain states GEICO policyholders may qualify for lifetime guaranteed renewal. For more information on eligibility requirements please contact one of our counselors.

Student at School Rating
If your child is a student who is away at school and without a vehicle, you may qualify for a special rating on your policy.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014