• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I need to transfer money from my location to location in another state. I have never done this before. I checked online and Western Union wants to charge $40 - $60 to transfer money. Is this normal or is there another way to send money? I am looking for cheapest/fastest way to send it?

Thank you.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I was actually going to advise a method that I have done before in your situation, but now I'm concerned that you will v... (more)

lorcha (Jun. 25, 2008 @ 10:26a) |

I was concerned about that too, so I turned my speakers off.

captainwho (Jun. 25, 2008 @ 10:36a) |

Yep... abuse... always the fastest and easiest way to get good advice on any forum.

By the way, I would use a carrier pig... (more)

thok (Jun. 25, 2008 @ 2:41p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

Pony Express.

Kismet4Max said: Pony Express.

This might be cheapest but not the fastest.

Mail it?

Some banks have free outgoing wire transfer like Washington Mutual.

Check the fees on the sending and receiving end.

By other state I hope you don't mean Nigeria.

Would the answer be different if it was sent in the same state ? A check sent priority/overnight? How much money are you talking about?

Bank of America allows free transfers between account holders if both accounts are BOA.

PayPal is quick, but I wouldn't call it the "safest"

mail your check. it takes only up to 3 days. really fast and safe.

What? Planned parenthood won't let you pay online?

I generally send money via ING Electric Orange checking

Either use the paper check option and they'll mail your recipient a actual paper check. Save you some postage.

...or use the electric check option if they too are an ING electric orange account holder. They can receive it instantly.

Try BillPay w/ any of your bank accounts. BoA gets my checks there in 1 or 2 days, if I'm sending money to my parents or receiving money from them I usually just do this and they'll get their cash the next day from BoA or Fidelity.

Since we have limited details, here is teh easiest and fastest way.

Start in one state at the state line, drive 10 feet into the next state. Hand the money to the next person. There you barely used any gas and it got to the next state in a matter of seconds.

chocula said: Since we have limited details, here is teh easiest and fastest way.

Start in one state at the state line, drive 10 feet into the next state. Hand the money to the next person. There you barely used any gas and it got to the next state in a matter of seconds.
But if one state is in a different time zone, the transfer could take an hour to take place. On the other hand, if it works the other way, you'll have the money overlapping for an hour.

paypal

Cheapest and fastest are usually mutually exclusive.

Could you maybe give a few details on what you are trying to accomplish?
For example, do you have a child stuck in a strange town with no money for a hotel room and no money to buy a bus ticket home? Do you have an elderly parent who might not be able to pay next month's rent? Do you have a college kid to whom you want to send a monthly allowance? Did someone send you a cashiers check for more than the asking price on an old car you listed on craigslist and you want to send him the "change" back?

The best solution for each of those cases is going to be significantly different.

BOA does wires within the US for $25. Did one yesterday. Kind of a pain, but it got done.

Linky

Fed Ex money order just about the same.

I will come pick it up and for you. Please have it in cash and stowed in a backpack.

I promise to deliver it

elturn said: Cheapest and fastest are usually mutually exclusive.

Could you maybe give a few details on what you are trying to accomplish?
For example, do you have a child stuck in a strange town with no money for a hotel room and no money to buy a bus ticket home? Do you have an elderly parent who might not be able to pay next month's rent? Do you have a college kid to whom you want to send a monthly allowance? Did someone send you a cashiers check for more than the asking price on an old car you listed on craigslist and you want to send him the "change" back?

The best solution for each of those cases is going to be significantly different.

Someone is going out of the country in 3 days. I need for them to take something for me. I can't order the item online for instore pickup because the store wants the credit used for purchase. The person doesn't have enough to buy the item in the store. I need to send money to this person in 2 days. This is why I started with Western Union, if you look at the original post. I guess lot of people don't understand what fastest and cheapest means eventhough they pretend to be on FW for years.

chocula said: Since we have limited details, here is teh easiest and fastest way.

Wow! What a great reply. I am sure I could not have done this with FWs like you -- who are always ignorants.

Since the person is your friend, try to get a bank account number. You can always deposit money into someone else's account if his bank has a branch close to you.

khilonna said: Someone is going out of the country in 3 days. I need for them to take something for me. I can't order the item online for instore pickup because the store wants the credit used for purchase. The person doesn't have enough to buy the item in the store. I need to send money to this person in 2 days.Does the store also have a location near you? Maybe the store will let you add money to a gift card account number without your actually possessing the card, which means the "someone" in another state can pick up a gift card, give you the account number, and you can fund it from your local store.

I think your best option to instantly send money is to get the bank and account number of the "someone", and wire the money from your bank account. Fees will be involved, but will usually be much less than a Western Union Moneygram.

Another free and instant way is if the "someone" has a bank account or a credit card with a branch local to you. For example, if the someone has a bank account or credit card with Chase, Citibank, Bank of America, etc. with a branch local to you, you can go to that branch and make a deposit to the account, or in the case of a credit card, make an in-branch payment to the credit card account and the credit will (in most cases) show up instantly.

khilonna said: I guess lot of people don't understand what fastest and cheapest means eventhough they pretend to be on FW for years.Oh sh!t, how did you find out I was faking my membership date!?

Anyway you've gotten plenty of good answers and I think your best bet is depositing into a branch of their bank. A few hours ago my brother deposited cash into my bank account and I can see it available online already.

Always ignorants,
Kittenmittens

1) If they have a bank local to you, you can often make a deposit to their account as long as you know the account number. They will check ID if you try and take money out(at least they should and I have never had them not ID me on a withdrawl).
2)If you bank with the same bank you can often electronic transfer to their account if you know their account number also and depending on the bank it will be free, and should be near instantaneous.
3)A wire transfer to another bank is iffy but most of the time it is near instantaneous or within a day and depending on the bank free or fee but cheaper than western union.
4)If you have a buddy that lives wherever you friend is ask them if they can give them the money then send them a check.

There you go. Three fast and low cost ways.

Make paper planes out of the dollar bills and let them be gone by the wind. Brothers Wright would be proud of you.

There is even a better option if the OP lives and to deliver the money in AZ,CO,NM or UT. He could pass though 4 states in 10 feet and get more bang for his buck. Why settle on passing just 2 states.

Absolute fastest: Drive your car directly to the receiver or take the next flight plus cabs.

Fastest practical: overnight cash using FedEx. Technically one isn't supposed to send cash (otherwise postal carriers would be more of a target for thieves), but it is unlikely that one would get caught.

Cheapest: Send money order via USPS.

Use of Paypal or other such services assumes that both parties already have an active and verified account.

Dolmar: "There is even a better option if the OP lives and to deliver the money in AZ,CO,NM or UT. He could pass though 4 states in 10 feet and get more bang for his buck. Why settle on passing just 2 states."

Actually since it is on tribal land, it costs a few bunks (so less real bang) to be able to do that, otherwise the best one could do would be 3 states in a short span.

MDanbom said: Mail it?

Great answer. Everyone knows the cheapest and fastest way is to stand at the border and throw it across. Wake up.

captainwho said: chocula said: Since we have limited details, here is teh easiest and fastest way.

But if one state is in a different time zone, the transfer could take an hour to take place. On the other hand, if it works the other way, you'll have the money overlapping for an hour.

Why spend the gas though? Bring your dog and your money to the state line. Attach the money to your dog's back. Have the dog walk across the state line. Money trasferred! Completely free, not even requiring a lick of exercise or effort on your part!

khilonna said: chocula said: Since we have limited details, here is teh easiest and fastest way.

Wow! What a great reply. I am sure I could not have done this with FWs like you -- who are always ignorants.
I was actually going to advise a method that I have done before in your situation, but now I'm concerned that you will verbally abuse me, so I'll just keep that information to myself.

Good luck!

lorcha said: but now I'm concerned that you will verbally abuse me
I was concerned about that too, so I turned my speakers off.

lorcha said: khilonna said: Wow! What a great reply. I am sure I could not have done this with FWs like you -- who are always ignorants.I was actually going to advise a method that I have done before in your situation, but now I'm concerned that you will verbally abuse me, so I'll just keep that information to myself.

Good luck!

Yep... abuse... always the fastest and easiest way to get good advice on any forum.

By the way, I would use a carrier pigeon.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014