• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Does going on Unemployment when you get fired or laid off show up on your credit report or hurt your credit score?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

No, it doesn't appear on the credit report or affect your score. Depending on what kind of job you do next, though, some employers will check your credit report as part of the job application process.

No, but if you apply for credit and report not having a job, I am sure that will have some effect.

most creditors do not verify job status unless requesting a large line of credit or undergoing F/R

No, just make sure bills are on time during unemployment

OP - no the unemployment dept does not report to the bureaus.

Employment information on credit reports is taken from YOUR APPLICATIONS for credit. If you state "unemployed" on any credit application there IS a good chance it will make it your your report.

and anyone who stated "unemployed" on a credit app is pretty much asking for a denial anyway

That's why you put "self employed" instead. Did you just recently fleBay your old iPod nano? You're self-employed.

ShaneM said: That's why you put "self employed" instead. Did you just recently fleBay your old iPod nano? You're self-employed.
"Retired" may also work.

BradMajors said: ShaneM said: That's why you put "self employed" instead. Did you just recently fleBay your old iPod nano? You're self-employed.
"Retired" may also work.

Job status: Retired
Credit app: Denied

Thanks everyone.

No, it doesn't show. I've been self-employed for years (I have a real business) but have never wanted to explain this to credit card companies. I've also had 3 years with almost nothing on my income tax return when I was in graduate school and traveling abroad, and never had any problems. Banks don't have access to your tax return. I've never lied on an application, since 90% don't ask for personal income, but for "household income," and I've lived with my sister. At least now my personal income is back to normal, so for my next AOR I can fill out the other 10%. I've rarely been asked about my employer, though I've been asked about my occupation, for which I give them a vague idea that I'm a professional. I don't want to let on I'm a business owner since banks might see that as higher risk than salary.

no way. I have been on unemployment several times after diff layoffs and it has never been a problem.
with my score. There have been several times that they did not have my correct current place of employment listed so
I assume that they don't always update the records each time I get a new job unless i appy for a new card or notify them directly.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014