Bad money saving ideas you tried

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
ContinentalDrifter said: Going to WalMart (or any other store for cheap/poor people) to buy something for 1/2 the price of a decent item. Even if you can't find a good deal at a decent store, it's been my experience that buying something for 1/2 the price means replacing it 3 times as often, plus the time, money, and energy it takes to do the research, purchase the item, drive to the store, etc., plus having to dispose of the old garbage. I've always been happy when I got a good deal on a good product from a reputable retailer, but I have never been happy when I paid bargain basement price for an absolute piece of garbage. This applies to cosmetics/toiletries, most home and bathroom items, every bit of clothing, some tools and hardware, some furniture, and some food. One of the few exceptions is my bought-on-a-whim-in-college $200 25" CRT Sanyo TV from WalMart that has been humming along for 12 years now with no problems.

Eh, that can depend. I have a coffee machine in my office that I bought for 15 or 20 bucks at WalMart several years ago and it's still working fine.

going to a crappy restaurant just so I can use my coupon and forgetting to use the coupon on the way out.

ContinentalDrifter said: Going to WalMart (or any other store for cheap/poor people) to buy something for 1/2 the price of a decent item. Even if you can't find a good deal at a decent store, it's been my experience that buying something for 1/2 the price means replacing it 3 times as often, plus the time, money, and energy it takes to do the research, purchase the item, drive to the store, etc., plus having to dispose of the old garbage. I've always been happy when I got a good deal on a good product from a reputable retailer, but I have never been happy when I paid bargain basement price for an absolute piece of garbage. This applies to cosmetics/toiletries, most home and bathroom items, every bit of clothing, some tools and hardware, some furniture, and some food. One of the few exceptions is my bought-on-a-whim-in-college $200 25" CRT Sanyo TV from WalMart that has been humming along for 12 years now with no problems.

It depends what you buy at WalMart or any other discount department store. They do sell brand name products and they often sell it cheaper for the same item because they get a volume discount from the manufacturer. Tide detergent at WalMart is the same as the one they sell at CVS. However in an effort to save a buck, you buy a no name brand detergent, you can end up with ugly stains on your clothes. I have purchased no name paper towels which were so thin that I had to use several plies. I now always go for the Bounty paper towels.

NorthStar2020 said: I stopped going out on Thanksgiving fridays. The first few years, I got suckered into the Thanksgiving "deals". Standing in the line at 3am with deal addicts and store stampedes... all this just to save $50? just not worth it. The worse part is you end up buying something you don't need just because it is on TG sale.

Well for me, getting a 20" TV with component Input for $50 seemed like it was worth it to me, despite the fact that it had only an NTSC tuner.

I think the main thing to think about when you're using these hot deal websites is to ask yourself "Would I have boughten this item even if I hadn't seen a special deal on it? or "Do I actually NEED this item?". I notice a lot of people buy things on here they normally wouldn't just because they are cheap. If that's the case you're not saving money at all are you?

rileymartin said: living in a mexican ghetto. roaches, blaring mexican music, drunk mexicans all around, car break-ins and vandalism. later i found an infinitely better place that was cheaper too.

and using cheap condoms. Now it's a German Ghetto.

curlychiquita said: My husband once walked in and said "you use that much toilet paper?" (yeah, it was the time of the month, I was using a lot of it.) His idea was that I use less toilet paper. My idea was that me using as much toilet paper as I wanted was cheaper than getting a divorce.

I also remind him of this comment every week or so (he said it last year) so it was an expensive comment for his emotional well-being.

Dont be soooo.....mad at him....he was just trying to save some TREES

massfiasco said: aares said: The day a girl gives me an ultimatum of spending less money to get some action, is the day I kick her fat whore ass out of my third story window.wow, you sound like quite a catch. it wasn't an ultimatum, it was a deal. it's not like he didnt get any before.

Mmassfiasco.....you sound smart, frugal, funny .........thats awesome, if you are sick of your husband let me know before he spends all the money

massfiasco said: i promised him that every day he spent less than $10, he would get some, uh, action. i drew up a calendar on a white board and everything. for the first week or two, he was coming in just under the $10 mark with some consistency. then i noticed a disturbing trend... he would spend $10 for days in a row, then suddenly go on a spree and spend like $100 on all the stuff he had passed over earlier in the week.
Did this typically happen in a 4-5 day period every month?

Driving with a leak in my power steering for ~6 months before fixing it.

Occasionally the power steering would go out and I could barely turn the wheel. (Failed power steering is much harder than no power steering). And I leaked a giant puddle of PS fluid in the work parking lot, even causing boss to send around a "general email" telling employees with leaks to get their cars fixed so the parking lot wouldn't be damaged.

InfiniTrent said: Driving with a leak in my power steering for ~6 months before fixing it.

Occasionally the power steering would go out and I could barely turn the wheel. (Failed power steering is much harder than no power steering). And I leaked a giant puddle of PS fluid in the work parking lot, even causing boss to send around a "general email" telling employees with leaks to get their cars fixed so the parking lot wouldn't be damaged.

lol...

pruks said: massfiasco said: aares said: The day a girl gives me an ultimatum of spending less money to get some action, is the day I kick her fat whore ass out of my third story window.wow, you sound like quite a catch. it wasn't an ultimatum, it was a deal. it's not like he didnt get any before.

Mmassfiasco.....you sound smart, frugal, funny .........thats awesome, if you are sick of your husband let me know before he spends all the money

woo, i'm getting hit on on fatwallet! Now if only my husband valued my frugality... he calls it, "cheap." The nerve!

PoisnBGood said: Buy things in bulk to save money, only to not be able to use it all by the expiration date.

This goes for food from Costco, and those stupid condom deals that keep popping up over at hot deals...

A friend did this....

Eating food that's way beyond its expiration date. "Well, it (ground beef) did taste a bit funny." No apparent ill effects, but I do not recommend this. Very appropriate user name, BTW.

jdmetz said: Yankees said: skimping on subway metrocards and walking 25 blocks to and from work. gets real stinky really quickly. and those are on the days it's not raining or snowing.

But you're getting a good workout. Does your building have a shower? If so, you could take your work clothes in a bag, and shower at the office, saving money on the subway and on water heating.

unfortunately, no shower in the building. being that sweaty guy isn't exactly conducive to upward mobility. you're right, great workout though.

Marrying a beautiful woman of my condition thinking I got a great value for cheap.
Turned out I only got a sign-up discount; after the promo period had lapsed, the salaries from two jobs weren't enough to cover the maintenance fee. Now I'm doing better, I only have to pay the much lower ETF in monthly installments.

But the Durex deals are great. Usually the expiration date is some 4 years ahead, and the current "no-contract subscription" (which I'm willing to change into a contract) allowed me to go through almost three 48 ct tin boxes in less than a year. Beauty differential loss is then not an issue, apparently. Obviously, the explanation for this result is the variable I have not included in the financial analysis. Well worth it (esp. emotionally), even with less rubber spent.

Moving in with my college girlfriend to save on rent and other living costs. (This story doesn't end in a baby.) I ended up having to pay for two sets of living costs, which was fine with me because we were young and I was in love. I had to keep a tight budget to stay within my meager earnings—I worked full-time in a research lab slicing up mice. After about two years, she dumped me in favor of a guy she thought had better earning potential. The other guy ASPIRED to go to medical school whereas I had already been accepted to a top law school, but hey, doctors make more than lawyers, right? Her explanation to me was that she couldn't live on a skimpy budget because "she was worth more than that." To be clear, I never nagged her about money; we'd go over everything together and made joint decisions.

The living costs I had aspired to save cost me thousands in extra expenses as well as great heartache. Of course, the other guy never did quite end up in medical school and in fact dropped out soon afterward. They're still together. He's a waiter and she's a schoolteacher. Even though I'm in a happy relationship now and I realize that she's an evil woman I still find myself thinking what could have been. My brain's retarded like that.

Most of my friends pointed out that the experience stopped me from marrying stupidly. Perhaps; I certainly became more cynical and world-weary, and that's helped. Still, it was a very dumb thing to do. Hardest money I've ever saved, especially as it didn't save me any money anyway. =(

darkmeridian said: but hey, doctors make more than lawyers, right?

Wow, she had no clue...

darkmeridian said: Moving in with my college girlfriend to save on rent and other living costs. (This story doesn't end in a baby.) I ended up having to pay for two sets of living costs, which was fine with me because we were young and I was in love. I had to keep a tight budget to stay within my meager earnings—I worked full-time in a research lab slicing up mice. After about two years, she dumped me in favor of a guy she thought had better earning potential. The other guy ASPIRED to go to medical school whereas I had already been accepted to a top law school, but hey, doctors make more than lawyers, right? Her explanation to me was that she couldn't live on a skimpy budget because "she was worth more than that." To be clear, I never nagged her about money; we'd go over everything together and made joint decisions.

The living costs I had aspired to save cost me thousands in extra expenses as well as great heartache. Of course, the other guy never did quite end up in medical school and in fact dropped out soon afterward. They're still together. He's a waiter and she's a schoolteacher. Even though I'm in a happy relationship now and I realize that she's an evil woman I still find myself thinking what could have been. My brain's retarded like that.

Most of my friends pointed out that the experience stopped me from marrying stupidly. Perhaps; I certainly became more cynical and world-weary, and that's helped. Still, it was a very dumb thing to do. Hardest money I've ever saved, especially as it didn't save me any money anyway. =(

Ha, I made a similar mistake when I graduated from college, although that whole experience taught me a lot of lessons about life so I'm not sure that I regret what I did.

Driving to a state with no sales tax to buy kegs o beer. The gas and toll costs plus the mileage to get there probably killed any of the savings.

Perhaps a few people here can comiserate:

...juggling between different high-yield savings accounts only to pay a credit card mo balance from an account with no money in it :\

Living in a beautiful 2600 square foot home in an "iffy" town. I would rather live in a 700 foot one bedroom apartment in a really nice area.

Location, location, location! Lesson learned.

ppatin said: Here's a question that has a potential for some amusing answers: what are some of the more foolish things you've done in an attempt to be frugal? Time spent here.

simpsons4ever said: Living in a beautiful 2600 square foot home in an "iffy" town. I would rather live in a 700 foot one bedroom apartment in a really nice area.

Springfield?

beatnik28 said: simpsons4ever said: Living in a beautiful 2600 square foot home in an "iffy" town. I would rather live in a 700 foot one bedroom apartment in a really nice area.

Springfield?

I wish! North Haverbrook. Darn that monorail!

darkmeridian said: Moving in with my college girlfriend to save on rent and other living costs. (This story doesn't end in a baby.) I ended up having to pay for two sets of living costs, which was fine with me because we were young and I was in love. I had to keep a tight budget to stay within my meager earnings—I worked full-time in a research lab slicing up mice. After about two years, she dumped me in favor of a guy she thought had better earning potential. The other guy ASPIRED to go to medical school whereas I had already been accepted to a top law school, but hey, doctors make more than lawyers, right? Her explanation to me was that she couldn't live on a skimpy budget because "she was worth more than that." To be clear, I never nagged her about money; we'd go over everything together and made joint decisions.

My bad financial love story:
I moved in with my high school sweat heart in college and have since gotten married. She owes nearly 100k in student loans and makes a little less than 40k. I'm stuck paying off her loans...

Wait... I take that back, I love her to death and would do it all over again even if the debt was 200k+. Thought I'd get sentimental here as tonight we are celebrating our 1 year wedding anniversary, but also our 10 year anniversary of being together. 4 years of HS + 5 years of college = 9 years before getting married.

Just wanted to let the fine people of FWF, that it doesn't always have to be about the $$.

PoisnBGood said:
Just wanted to let the fine people of FWF, that it doesn't always have to be about the $$.

Well said. I have roughly $90k in student loans, and even though it means my husband having to make enormous sacrifices to be able to pay for that, our mortgage and our bills - I know he wouldn't trade our relationship for anything. That's the definition of love. Plus, we get to eat cheap food like pasta all the time - yeah!

P.S. Happy Anniversary! (Ours was August 9th).

simpsons4ever said: PoisnBGood said:

Well said. I have roughly $90k in student loans, and even though it means my husband having to make enormous sacrifices to be able to pay for that, our mortgage and our bills - I know he wouldn't trade our relationship for anything. That's the definition of love. Plus, we get to eat cheap food like pasta all the time - yeah!

P.S. Happy Anniversary! (Ours was August 9th).

My wife made me pasta last night. It was delicious!

A few of mine: signing up my disabled kid for a medication trial rather than spending a fortune on the state of the art meds - bad reaction, permanent heart rhythm problem result. Also, thinking I could deal with his school special ed system on my own - wrong, his Special Ed Lawyer is worth every penny.

On a different level, wearing cheap clothes. I work mainly at home and don't care what I wear, but when I go out and deal with customers/clients/etc I've learned that I can't just wear something nicer once in a while. I need to be used to top-of-the-line biz wear. On the same line, eating cheap ALL the time. When I have those biz meetings I need to be comfortable at high end restaurants, up on the trends.

Great thread.

In college, being too cheap to turn on the recessed lights (which I'd replaced with 8 CFL's) and using a torchlamp instead (just 1 CFL bulb) only to fall asleep for ~8 hours (while the light remained on) because it wasn't bright enough to keep me awake.

Buying stuff at woot.com when they constantly advertise about them peddling crap.

larrymoencurly said: Venturion said: Getting the last smidgen of toothpaste out of the tube. It makes a mess (cutting open the tube), requires 5-minutes of time that I'll never get back, and doesn't seem to accumulate any tangible financial benefit.Flatten the tube from the bottom without rolling it up, and accordian that into the top of the tube.Thinking this was a cheap sex toy.

supertreat said: I think the main thing to think about when you're using these hot deal websites is to ask yourself "Would I have boughten this item even if I hadn't seen a special deal on it? or "Do I actually NEED this item?". I notice a lot of people buy things on here they normally wouldn't just because they are cheap. If that's the case you're not saving money at all are you?

I try this question but when I'm talking to myself, I tend to use correct grammar and ask myself "Would I have bought this item..."

bought·en [ báwt'n ] adjective: not homemade: commercially made rather than homemade

GO BIG RED!

I've been buying school supplies every week for the past month as Office Depot and Staples come out with free or cheap items every Sunday. My daughter already has enough school supplies for the next three years and probably will curse me for buying stuff that sez 'Office Depot' or 'Staples' on it instead of 'Hannah Montana' or 'Cheetah Girls'

Letting my brother in law do a tune-up on the car. He decided to "help" by also filling the brake fluid. But he put the wrong fluid in. The brake system failed and had to be completely replaced because of the contamination. $2000!

Using limit orders to buy stocks.

I have always used limit orders for purchases and sales of stocks, I would set a price and buy it only when it hit that number.
The problem is I have missed far to many good buys over a less than 1%. ( I am a long term idea guy very few trades held less than a year.)

If the stock was worth buying at all it was worth buying within a few % points of the limit price. I hav learned to focus on ensuring I get the sale or purchase in a price range rather than a exact number.

Overall I have lost much more money on cancelled orders that never went through than I have ever lost on placing market orders.

Now I use a mix.

Eating hot dogs for dinner every night. After awhile, your heart starts giving you signals that it can't take it anymore.

stetsonjoe said: fasttimes said: TheMeliorist said: I went to the dentist to have a tooth looked at that was bothering me. He said I had two cavities. I asked if it would be harmful to wait 4 months (so I could pay for it out of an FSA that I had not yet established) and he said I would be back within a month from the pain. I told him I handle pain very well which he just laughed at. Went back in for a checkup just in case two months later and was told the same thing. Marched in on the second of January (4 months after the initial visit) to find out I now needed two root canals, a post and core, and two crowns. Overshot my FSA allotment (based on their estimates the previous two visits) and insurance maximum by ~$3000. I made sure to give the work to another dentist at least...

Why did you go to another dentist? He TOLD you not to wait, dufus. Oh, did you blame him for YOUR cheapness for some reason?
I'll certainly admit to being a dufus (that was the whole point of this thread, right?) but he certainly did not tell me not to wait. He implied there would be no material consequences (in that time frame) besides pain and just in case I followed up again two months later (my second insurance covered checkup) in which he told me the same thing. I did mention the plan to friends, coworkers, and family members because I was somewhat concerned...unfortunately I didn't actually bother to research the matter...even on wikipedia.

What the dentist should have said is "look, if you wait 4 months you'll likely be looking at expensive root canals and possibly losing the teeth entirely." I assume he wasn't taking advantage of my ineptitude to increase his revenue, but he certainly didn't respond to my situation in a competent, professional manner.

Changed the car engine oil by myself. I bought all the tools for more than $100 and did my first oil change before realizing that it was not worth my effort.
Now, I can have the oil changed by the professionals for roughly $10-$15 (excluding the oil). All the tools still sit in my garage

hungluu00 said: Changed the car engine oil by myself. I bought all the tools for more than $100 and did my first oil change before realizing that it was not worth my effort.
Now, I can have the oil changed by the professionals for roughly $10-$15 (excluding the oil). All the tools still sit in my garage

Some car repairs are worth doing on your own. About a year ago I had to replace my car's ignition system, and even with the cost of a toolset, a repair manual and the parts I saved about $300 over what a shop would've charged me. The repair was really easy too.

Getting my Amazon.com order up to $25 to qualify for free shipping. I wind up spend more time shopping than I otherwise would, and I invariably find something I never knew I wanted, and spending more than I otherwise would.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014