Bad money saving ideas you tried

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Going to a garage sale in a ghetto.

PoisnBGood said: Buy things in bulk to save money, only to not be able to use it all by the expiration date.

This goes for food from Costco, and those stupid condom deals that keep popping up over at hot deals...

+1. Buying food in bulk was not a good idea for me since I only have myself to feed. Buying smaller quantities more often also makes it easier to introduce variety which is highly desirable with food.

People waiting long lines in the Costco gas station to save some money but turned on their A/C while waiting. What's the point?!

I didn't try to cut my own hair, but I did try to go 6 months between haircuts. After a while I got tired of the snarky comments ("Hey, where's your leisure suit?", "Shouldn't you be broadcasting a 1970s sporting event or something?", etc.)

Wynstan said: People waiting long lines in the Costco gas station to save some money but turned on their A/C while waiting. What's the point?!

If they save $0.10 a gallon, and the AC costs are less than a buck, it evens out.

I couldn't find a TV stand that I liked for a good price so I designed and made one myself. Only I never finished the project as I got distracted with other stuff. In the end I had a few planks of Red Oak collecting dust in my garage and a yardsale TV stand with a cover over it.

left a sizeable chunk of cash in a checking account and forgot about it for almost a year...probably washed out all the saving I did all year with lost interest income =(

Spending y minutes to save less than xy dollars, or not paying a professional xy dollars to do a job myself that took more than y minutes, where x currently is 1.9. x changes over time as income changes. I own my own business so I use these rules during my normal working hours. I end up kicking myself when I don't. (F%*!, it took me too long to post this)

I tried to pay a hooker with flooz.

Vanilla10 said: Spending y minutes to save less than xy dollars, or not paying a professional xy dollars to do a job myself that took more than y minutes, where x currently is 1.9. x changes over time as income changes. I own my own business so I use these rules during my normal working hours. I end up kicking myself when I don't. (F%*!, it took me too long to post this)

I somehow feel poorer after trying to decipher your post.

VzwSpiker said: Vanilla10 said: Spending y minutes to save less than xy dollars, or not paying a professional xy dollars to do a job myself that took more than y minutes, where x currently is 1.9. x changes over time as income changes. I own my own business so I use these rules during my normal working hours. I end up kicking myself when I don't. (F%*!, it took me too long to post this)

I somehow feel poorer after trying to decipher your post.


Oh, sorry, y > 0.

bombcar said: Wynstan said: People waiting long lines in the Costco gas station to save some money but turned on their A/C while waiting. What's the point?!

If they save $0.10 a gallon, and the AC costs are less than a buck, it evens out.


Your logic befuddles me. If it truly evens out, then they should go somewhere else. In my case, I'm getting 1% back from my exec membership and 5% for my Costco AM3X. But then again, I'm not waiting in line cuz I live in the middle of nowhere.

dougneb said: bombcar said: Wynstan said: People waiting long lines in the Costco gas station to save some money but turned on their A/C while waiting. What's the point?!

If they save $0.10 a gallon, and the AC costs are less than a buck, it evens out.


Your logic befuddles me. If it truly evens out, then they should go somewhere else. In my case, I'm getting 1% back from my exec membership and 5% for my Costco AM3X. But then again, I'm not waiting in line cuz I live in the middle of nowhere.


It makes sense to wait if the gas used by idling in line costs less than the amount you save--you come out ahead (though your time may have some value to you as well).

If you break even, you'd have gotten the same thing faster elsewhere.

Note that in this situation, those with the large SUV's have the advantage. Their gas tank is larger, so they have more gallons to multiply by the savings per gallon--they can wait longer and still come out ahead.

Vanilla10 said: Spending y minutes to save less than xy dollars, or not paying a professional xy dollars to do a job myself that took more than y minutes, where x currently is 1.9. x changes over time as income changes. I own my own business so I use these rules during my normal working hours. I end up kicking myself when I don't. (F%*!, it took me too long to post this)

Don't forget that most saving opportunities are tax-free, so I hope your 1.9 is an after tax figure. If not, you'll need a little more algebra.

2Cor521

cheap hookers and blow.

Just ain't worth it.

* maintaining my car myself rather than taking it to a mechanic
* avoiding "unnecessary" car maintenance

MilesHeighway said: cheap hookers and blow.

Just ain't worth it.


If you can afford blow you should be getting expensive hookers.

"Fixing" my washing machine on my own following the manual.

2 days later a flooded basement. $50 to rent a huge carpet cleaner to clean up the water. $20 to buy anti-mold cleanser for the 2" of soaked wallboard in the utility room.

6 months later, summer hit. Moldy smell in basement. $50 carpet cleaner didn't do such a good job and the carpet was riddled with mildew/mold. $900 in carpeting and padding had to be ripped out. $500 to install laminate.

$1470 spent to save a $95 repair bill. Gah.

mbzoltan said: "Fixing" my washing machine on my own following the manual.

2 days later a flooded basement. $50 to rent a huge carpet cleaner to clean up the water. $20 to buy anti-mold cleanser for the 2" of soaked wallboard in the utility room.

6 months later, summer hit. Moldy smell in basement. $50 carpet cleaner didn't do such a good job and the carpet was riddled with mildew/mold. $900 in carpeting and padding had to be ripped out. $500 to install laminate.

$1470 spent to save a $95 repair bill. Gah.
Do less laundry by not wearing too much clothing.

Used a plastic tie as a bike lock.

do178b said: Used a plastic tie as a bike lock.

Doesn't qualify as a bad tip unless the bike was stolen

Buying roses for less on 2/15 and hoping she wouldn't notice.

Keeping $50 bill at the strip club when girls come for a single..rarely a smart ass chick finds a change

Not going on more vacations. I plan on making up for that one big time.

Getting a roommate. By the time the leecer left he owed 6 months rent, stole my credit cards and personal info. Years later I am still dealing with the fallout.

Putting life savings in a good safe bank like Indy Mac instead of investing in High Risk funds.

curlychiquita said: My husband once walked in and said "you use that much toilet paper?" (yeah, it was the time of the month, I was using a lot of it.) His idea was that I use less toilet paper. My idea was that me using as much toilet paper as I wanted was cheaper than getting a divorce.

I also remind him of this comment every week or so (he said it last year) so it was an expensive comment for his emotional well-being.


ROFL. My friends dad was a crazy professor and he once did a survey of his family on how much toilet paper they were using. My friend was scared that his dad was going to start rationing so he said "one square" which amazed his father. He said his dad tried one square and said he had to finger his a-hole to get the job done.

TheMeliorist said: I went to the dentist to have a tooth looked at that was bothering me. He said I had two cavities. I asked if it would be harmful to wait 4 months (so I could pay for it out of an FSA that I had not yet established) and he said I would be back within a month from the pain. I told him I handle pain very well which he just laughed at. Went back in for a checkup just in case two months later and was told the same thing. Marched in on the second of January (4 months after the initial visit) to find out I now needed two root canals, a post and core, and two crowns. Overshot my FSA allotment (based on their estimates the previous two visits) and insurance maximum by ~$3000. I made sure to give the work to another dentist at least...

You can always ask your dentist if he will accept installment payments. I had to get a root canal and was able to stretch the payment over Dec 31 and get him to bill me on the next cal year.

Standing in line overnight for Black Friday.

Most buffets.

Mail order bride.

Mountain Climbing in running shoes.

Putting off travel until retirement risking inability to adapt to foreign cultures and food.

Canceling a service to avoid monthly maintenance payment only to find that restart costs are astronomical.

I actually cut my own hair but strait across on long hair works fine. It helps when you hair is slightly beyond shoulder length.

I sew some and tried to make my own sundress and matching purse. It ended up turning out rather pretty but between supplies pattern time ect I could have bought the darn thing 3-4 times

skimping on subway metrocards and walking 25 blocks to and from work. gets real stinky really quickly. and those are on the days it's not raining or snowing.

curlychiquita said: My husband once walked in and said "you use that much toilet paper?" (yeah, it was the time of the month, I was using a lot of it.) His idea was that I use less toilet paper. My idea was that me using as much toilet paper as I wanted was cheaper than getting a divorce.

I also remind him of this comment every week or so (he said it last year) so it was an expensive comment for his emotional well-being.


Good idea, but you may want to cut back from the every week or so, or you may be stuck with the most expensive part of all, his medical bills from the heart attack he has.

Yankees said: skimping on subway metrocards and walking 25 blocks to and from work. gets real stinky really quickly. and those are on the days it's not raining or snowing.

But you're getting a good workout. Does your building have a shower? If so, you could take your work clothes in a bag, and shower at the office, saving money on the subway and on water heating.

buying cheap condoms from Buy.com that tear easy; cost me an emergency pill and 19 other condoms i cant use.

Buying a $6000 motorcycle to save money on gas.

It's a lot of fun, and it is nice paying $12 to fill up...and compared to my old SUV that got 12 miles/gallon, it's saving me 28 mpg. But going to a small car that gets 30 mpg would have accomplished the same, considering it would have been a year-round driver, even in snow/ice.

I do have a $1000 Ford Escort that I use for snow/ice, and for days colder than about 10 degrees.

If I keep the bike for 10 years + and ride it 9 months out of the year (yes, I do ride in 20 degree weather), the savings will add up, but for pure cheapness, the car would be better.




-- Another was trying to trim the tree in the backyard myself. Paying the electrician $150 to put the electrical pole back up on my house and re-install the meter wasn't fun.

Yet one fall off that bike and a hospital bill alone would make your gas mileage lousy.

eating Ramen noodles... put on weight because those things never made me feel full... Had to eat two packs @ 750 calories.

Buying real estate without doing your homework, and especially believing a realtor that house is an investment.

That made us get a starter home as soon as we could afford one without regard for potential appreciation. Should have kept on renting a few more years and bought in a nicer part of town. Lesson learned now.

Also investing without knowing what you're doing and going to your local bank for buying mutual funds. Got set with lack-luster fund with back-load. Not terrible outcome however due to dumb luck of purchasing on August 31st 1998.

Final one was almost not using an attorney for licensing a patent. We were thinking of selling patent ourselves to save a few $1000s. Thankfully a lawyer friend got us in touch with a good patent attorney. Long story short, he advised us to license rights instead of selling outright. He documented patent's potential value for licensee way better than we could have done ourselves so we negotiated pretty good royalty rates. Also advised us on how to file taxes for the upfront fee and royalties. We broke even vs. selling outright in 2 years. Advice of professionals is often worth way more than what you pay for it.

kdbrich said: ... Paying the electrician $150 to put the electrical pole back up on my house and re-install the meter wasn't fun.

I feel you on this. The other day the AC went out, I took it apart myself and put in a new fan motor ($120 bucks for the motor). It went well but no cold air, so i took it apart again but forgot to switch off the main... and yes, I shocked myself (it hurts!!!)... I am glad I am still here typing. Got chicken out and finally pay someone to check it, and have a new one installed for 1700. Now I have a 120 bucks fan motor sitting in my garage and a shocked heart.

-- Another one is try to take apart a transmission and reseal the seal. Seal got resealed but the car leak even worst and started smoking on the highway. End up paying 750 bucks for someone else to find the real leak. So 750 + 200 previous part not including labor. Bad move on that too.

<<<<------HAIRCUT???????

Sorry for the top post, but it makes the joke work!

swandown said: I didn't try to cut my own hair, but I did try to go 6 months between haircuts. After a while I got tired of the snarky comments ("Hey, where's your leisure suit?", "Shouldn't you be broadcasting a 1970s sporting event or something?", etc.)



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014