Bad money saving ideas you tried

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
bombcar said: Wynstan said: People waiting long lines in the Costco gas station to save some money but turned on their A/C while waiting. What's the point?!

If they save $0.10 a gallon, and the AC costs are less than a buck, it evens out.

Once again, you neglect the cost of time. Unless, of course, sitting in the car is fun for you.

beatme said: bombcar said: Wynstan said: People waiting long lines in the Costco gas station to save some money but turned on their A/C while waiting. What's the point?!

If they save $0.10 a gallon, and the AC costs are less than a buck, it evens out.

Once again, you neglect the cost of time. Unless, of course, sitting in the car is fun for you.
my favorite one of all time....my fiance's mom drives around the city with no AC on in Texas in the 100degree heat to save gas! She already drives a 4cylinder as it is ahah. it's hilarious to see her pull up all broken out in a sweat!

My worst mistake was not replacing a tire after it blew up. I drove on a spare for a few weeks trying to save for a new tire instead of tapping into my savings and buying another one. I ended up getting in a car accident a few weeks later, and the accident would not have been as bad or maybe it could have been avoided altogether had I had a real tire and was able to stop in time. That cost me $7000.

PoisnBGood said: Buy things in bulk to save money, only to not be able to use it all by the expiration date.

This goes for food from Costco, and those stupid condom deals that keep popping up over at hot deals...

Damn........... I fell for those condom deals too........
I bought 300 condoms. I guess it's a "really bad" savings idea.

tsomai said: PoisnBGood said: Buy things in bulk to save money, only to not be able to use it all by the expiration date.

This goes for food from Costco, and those stupid condom deals that keep popping up over at hot deals...

Damn........... I fell for those condom deals too........
I bought 300 condoms. I guess it's a "really bad" savings idea.

Depends are you going to get laid 300 times before they expire? If so (really )good for you!!!

rmhop said: beatme said: bombcar said: Wynstan said: People waiting long lines in the Costco gas station to save some money but turned on their A/C while waiting. What's the point?!

my favorite one of all time....my fiance's mom drives around the city with no AC on in Texas in the 100degree heat to save gas! She already drives a 4cylinder as it is ahah. it's hilarious to see her pull up all broken out in a sweat!

She probably rolls the windows down too, thereby negating any savings from keeping the AC off.

swandown said: She probably rolls the windows down too, thereby negating any savings from keeping the AC off.If you're talking about reduced fuel economy due to increased wind resistance, that's only a factor at high speeds (>50mph IIRC). For slower city driving, rolling the windows down only increases drag by a negligible amount.

so i'm already pretty frugal, but my husband is not. he buys breakfast and lunch out, every day (crap food too, dunkin' donuts and mcdonald's) as well as keeping a steady supply of diet coke going down the hatch. i think he spends $20/day at least, and often he'll go out to *dinner* too, when he's working late. it's insane.

anyway, i was determined to get him back on track and make him cheap like me. (aside: i can walk around with a $20 in my wallet for months, and i frequently forget my PIN number for lack of use.) i promised him that every day he spent less than $10, he would get some, uh, action. i drew up a calendar on a white board and everything. for the first week or two, he was coming in just under the $10 mark with some consistency. then i noticed a disturbing trend... he would spend $10 for days in a row, then suddenly go on a spree and spend like $100 on all the stuff he had passed over earlier in the week. i mean, once he was over $10, he might as well go for it, right?

but the real end to this money saving scheme was when the inevitable occurred- we might have saved a few hundred over several weeks, but now we have a four month old to support for the next 18 years. perhaps some of those hot deals condoms would have come in handy...

Crack whores and crack, playing craps in an alley, instead of hookers and cocaine in vegas

edit: doh, MilesHeighway beat me to it, but mines better

Delaying fixing a leaking transmission line by just adding more transmission fluid. Eventually the transmission needed to be replaced and had to sell the car under normal value.

massfiasco said: but the real end to this money saving scheme was when the inevitable occurred- we might have saved a few hundred over several weeks, but now we have a four month old to support for the next 18 years. perhaps some of those hot deals condoms would have come in handy...

Not using contraception: the ultimate example of a bad money saving idea.

massfiasco said: so i'm already pretty frugal, but my husband is not. he buys breakfast and lunch out, every day (crap food too, dunkin' donuts and mcdonald's) as well as keeping a steady supply of diet coke going down the hatch. i think he spends $20/day at least, and often he'll go out to *dinner* too, when he's working late. it's insane.

anyway, i was determined to get him back on track and make him cheap like me. (aside: i can walk around with a $20 in my wallet for months, and i frequently forget my PIN number for lack of use.) i promised him that every day he spent less than $10, he would get some, uh, action. i drew up a calendar on a white board and everything. for the first week or two, he was coming in just under the $10 mark with some consistency. then i noticed a disturbing trend... he would spend $10 for days in a row, then suddenly go on a spree and spend like $100 on all the stuff he had passed over earlier in the week. i mean, once he was over $10, he might as well go for it, right?

but the real end to this money saving scheme was when the inevitable occurred- we might have saved a few hundred over several weeks, but now we have a four month old to support for the next 18 years. perhaps some of those hot deals condoms would have come in handy...

What a fitting username

Shandril said: ...Advice of professionals is often worth way more than what you pay for it.

I'm guilty of this. Most of my trouble is weeding out the idiots and finding that rare gem that will truly provide you with value.

massfiasco said:
so i'm already pretty frugal, but my husband is not. he buys breakfast and lunch out, every day (crap food too, dunkin' donuts and mcdonald's) as well as keeping a steady supply of diet coke going down the hatch. i think he spends $20/day at least, and often he'll go out to *dinner* too, when he's working late. it's insane.

Sounds like you should have let him keep spending the $20.

massfiasco said: so i'm already pretty frugal, but my husband is not. he buys breakfast and lunch out, every day (crap food too, dunkin' donuts and mcdonald's) as well as keeping a steady supply of diet coke going down the hatch. i think he spends $20/day at least, and often he'll go out to *dinner* too, when he's working late. it's insane.

The day a girl gives me an ultimatum of spending less money to get some action, is the day I kick her fat whore ass out of my third story window.

aares said: The day a girl gives me an ultimatum of spending less money to get some action, is the day I kick her fat whore ass out of my third story window.I bet you're single. Right?

NoPanties said: aares said: The day a girl gives me an ultimatum of spending less money to get some action, is the day I kick her fat whore ass out of my third story window.I bet you're single. Right?

I bet he's got money, too.

swandown said: NoPanties said: aares said: The day a girl gives me an ultimatum of spending less money to get some action, is the day I kick her fat whore ass out of my third story window.I bet you're single. Right?

I bet he's got money, too.

wow, you sound like quite a catch. it wasn't an ultimatum, it was a deal. it's not like he didnt get any before.

Last year, I took a fall and landed on my hand. It hurt like hell, but since it didn't seem like I fell that hard, I figured it was a waste of money to pay for a doctor appointment and X-Rays (my insurance has a high deductible). A month later, it still didn't look right, so I went to the walk-in clinic, and found I had a severe fracture.

aares said: massfiasco said: so i'm already pretty frugal, but my husband is not. he buys breakfast and lunch out, every day (crap food too, dunkin' donuts and mcdonald's) as well as keeping a steady supply of diet coke going down the hatch. i think he spends $20/day at least, and often he'll go out to *dinner* too, when he's working late. it's insane.

The day a girl gives me an ultimatum of spending less money to get some action, is the day I kick her fat whore ass out of my third story window.

And they say romance is dead....

Using prepaid cell phone to save on phone cost and end up talking less to friends using the cell phone. I call them back using landline to save on cell phone charges.

Trying to save penny but lost tons on money in stock market. Penny wise pound foolish!

Skipping toll roads. We learned that for our driving, extra gas costs and car wear and tear from driving local roads overshadows the savings from smooth, fast, and straight toll roads. The time and frustration saved tips the balance further towards the toll roads.

Thought I'd earn good interest by investing in a Everbank-funded Icelandic Krona CD at over 11% APY. Few months later the krona tanked and about $1500 evaporated in currency conversion. Even though the Icelandic Central bank still has good interest rates, my Everbank CD now earns measly Everbank-mandated rates below US bank rates.

rileymartin said: living in a mexican ghetto. roaches, blaring mexican music, drunk mexicans all around, car break-ins and vandalism. later i found an infinitely better place that was cheaper too.

Red to you. Would have been green if you'd have mentioned ghetto without the adjective.

Thinking that you couldn't lose money in an employee stock purchase program that discounted shares at 15%. It was very suspicious, but every single quarter the stock jumped 20% or so on the day of the ESPP strike price. It then fell 20% the next day. I lost 3Q in a row like that and dropped out.

Also

Thinking that 50k shares for joining a dot com would make me some money. The company was going to go public at $18 per share, and they absolutely did. Unfortunately they did a 20/1 reverse split a few days before the IPO and then granted all the execs more shares.

Venturion said: Getting the last smidgen of toothpaste out of the tube. It makes a mess (cutting open the tube), requires 5-minutes of time that I'll never get back, and doesn't seem to accumulate any tangible financial benefit.Flatten the tube from the bottom without rolling it up, and accordian that into the top of the tube.

1. Buying condoms that were way too large just because a friend saw me shopping for them. Way, way too large.

2. Getting married so I could save money on condoms.

sechs said: ppatin said: Oh yeah, using one month disposable contacts for much longer than a month was also a terrible idea. Eye infections are not fun.Cheap and vain don't mix.Negative ratings given by many cheap and vain people.

TheMeliorist said: I went to the dentist to have a tooth looked at that was bothering me. He said I had two cavities. I asked if it would be harmful to wait 4 months (so I could pay for it out of an FSA that I had not yet established) and he said I would be back within a month from the pain. I told him I handle pain very well which he just laughed at. Went back in for a checkup just in case two months later and was told the same thing. Marched in on the second of January (4 months after the initial visit) to find out I now needed two root canals, a post and core, and two crowns. Overshot my FSA allotment (based on their estimates the previous two visits) and insurance maximum by ~$3000. I made sure to give the work to another dentist at least...

my friend was able to negotiate with her dentist to get the work done but billed later so that she could pay out of her future FSA

oh my god, i think i married your husband's twin. my husband laughs at my saving efforts, and eats out everyday, while i'm like you, a 20 can sit in my wallet for weeks. i always pack a lunch and rarely eat out alone. He took a year and a half to get about $800 in expenses reimbursed, and i tried to use some, uh, inducements, along the way, but nothing worked until the day HR gave him an ultimatum.

fasttimes said: curlychiquita said: My husband once walked in and said "you use that much toilet paper?" (yeah, it was the time of the month, I was using a lot of it.) His idea was that I use less toilet paper. My idea was that me using as much toilet paper as I wanted was cheaper than getting a divorce.

I also remind him of this comment every week or so (he said it last year) so it was an expensive comment for his emotional well-being.

ROFL. My friends dad was a crazy professor and he once did a survey of his family on how much toilet paper they were using. My friend was scared that his dad was going to start rationing so he said "one square" which amazed his father. He said his dad tried one square and said he had to finger his a-hole to get the job done.

y'all should get a handheld bidet, a mini-shower wand, for the nether regions. you'll be cleaner and use less toilet paper

Technologist said: <<<<------HAIRCUT???????

Sorry for the top post, but it makes the joke work!

swandown said: I didn't try to cut my own hair, but I did try to go 6 months between haircuts. After a while I got tired of the snarky comments ("Hey, where's your leisure suit?", "Shouldn't you be broadcasting a 1970s sporting event or something?", etc.)

Never tried to cut my own hair, but went to the stylist school, spent $4 for a cut that took 1 1/2 hours plus it looked like shit still. You have to sit there and wait for the teacher to come around when the girl doesn't have a damn clue about what she is doing.

Just to add...Getting a girlfriend, hookers are cheaper in the long run and you can tell them to leave.

fasttimes said: TheMeliorist said: I went to the dentist to have a tooth looked at that was bothering me. He said I had two cavities. I asked if it would be harmful to wait 4 months (so I could pay for it out of an FSA that I had not yet established) and he said I would be back within a month from the pain. I told him I handle pain very well which he just laughed at. Went back in for a checkup just in case two months later and was told the same thing. Marched in on the second of January (4 months after the initial visit) to find out I now needed two root canals, a post and core, and two crowns. Overshot my FSA allotment (based on their estimates the previous two visits) and insurance maximum by ~$3000. I made sure to give the work to another dentist at least...

Why did you go to another dentist? He TOLD you not to wait, dufus. Oh, did you blame him for YOUR cheapness for some reason?

my friend was able to negotiate with her dentist to get the work done but billed later so that she could pay out of her future FSA

That's against the law... but cool for your friend

pics?

Hahhahah, just kidding. I think this is the single best post yet. It's got sex, a seemingly dumb guy who turns out to be a genius, and has a happy/sad ending. But mostly its got sex...

So another one from me is that I jammed my thumb pretty hard when played football with friends in college. I didn't have health insurance, so I didn't get it checked out. It's now 5 years later, and in the winter time my thumb hurts almost the whole time...

ppatin said: Oh yeah, using one month disposable contacts for much longer than a month was also a terrible idea. Eye infections are not fun.

I don't wear contacts anymore (Lasik), so I apologize if I am off base...

Were you taking them out daily to wash them? I remember a class action suit from a while back against Accuvue because the daily disposables were nothing more than the real ones.

OmegaDeal said: ppatin said: Oh yeah, using one month disposable contacts for much longer than a month was also a terrible idea. Eye infections are not fun.

I don't wear contacts anymore (Lasik), so I apologize if I am off base...

Were you taking them out daily to wash them? I remember a class action suit from a while back against Accuvue because the daily disposables were nothing more than the real ones.

Yeah, actually I wasn't even wearing them most of the time. I was on medication that gave me really dry eyes for a while, so I mostly wore glasses and my contacts mostly sat in their case for months.

Arfanbarkler said: Last year, I took a fall and landed on my hand. It hurt like hell, but since it didn't seem like I fell that hard, I figured it was a waste of money to pay for a doctor appointment and X-Rays (my insurance has a high deductible). A month later, it still didn't look right, so I went to the walk-in clinic, and found I had a severe fracture.

Were you kicked out of aares's 3rd story window?

OmegaDeal said:

I use acuvue daily disposables -- not every day, but once in a while, when going out coz my eyes get dry and itchy. the most i've done is use a pair twice, only if i used them for a few hours the first time. but now i've noticed that the last batch i got gets all crinkly when i try to rinse it, even if it is when i am first putting them in and have something in my eye.

Going to WalMart (or any other store for cheap/poor people) to buy something for 1/2 the price of a decent item. Even if you can't find a good deal at a decent store, it's been my experience that buying something for 1/2 the price means replacing it 3 times as often, plus the time, money, and energy it takes to do the research, purchase the item, drive to the store, etc., plus having to dispose of the old garbage. I've always been happy when I got a good deal on a good product from a reputable retailer, but I have never been happy when I paid bargain basement price for an absolute piece of garbage. This applies to cosmetics/toiletries, most home and bathroom items, every bit of clothing, some tools and hardware, some furniture, and some food. One of the few exceptions is my bought-on-a-whim-in-college $200 25" CRT Sanyo TV from WalMart that has been humming along for 12 years now with no problems.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014