Bad money saving ideas you tried

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Here's a question that has a potential for some amusing answers: what are some of the more foolish things you've done in an attempt to be frugal?

For me I think it was cutting my own hair. I went through a phase where I bought a pair of clippers and just buzzed my hair very short once every month or two, thinking it was the most convenient and economical thing to do. After about a year one of my friends told me that he didn't mean to be a jerk, but that I should stop doing my own haircuts because they made me look like I'd just been released from a POW camp and lots of people were poking fun at me behind my back. After that I decided that spending $15 at the Hair Cuttery a few times per year wasn't such a waste after all.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
be careful, I heard that can give you hemorrhoids

TrueValue (Jan. 08, 2009 @ 10:49p) |

reading this entire thread hoping to find some ideas that I could implement without making "that fatal mistake" - comple... (more)

JhakaasDesi (Mar. 16, 2009 @ 1:03p) |

I bought cheap knock-offs of Gillette Sensor razor blades. I should have known better because even my father, the cheap... (more)

larrymoencurly (Mar. 16, 2009 @ 4:32p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Most of mine are related to not going to a professional sooner.. this applies to doctors, dentists, lawyers, accountants. I am not ANY of those and my resources are best spent doing other things. Takes a while to learn that though...

Oh yeah, using one month disposable contacts for much longer than a month was also a terrible idea. Eye infections are not fun.

ppatin said: Oh yeah, using one month disposable contacts for much longer than a month was also a terrible idea. Eye infections are not fun.
Cheap and vain don't mix.

sechs said: ppatin said: Oh yeah, using one month disposable contacts for much longer than a month was also a terrible idea. Eye infections are not fun.

Wanting to be able to see clearly makes me vain?

ppatin said: sechs said: ppatin said: Oh yeah, using one month disposable contacts for much longer than a month was also a terrible idea. Eye infections are not fun.

Wanting to be able to see clearly makes me vain?

maybe it was not wearing glasses instead?

Using free cologne samples from magazines at newstands instead of showering.

Selling cheap items on e-Bay. I thought I could nickle and dime my way to some extra money, but by the time I pay for fees and other little costs, I wind up losing money - plus it's very stressful - i.e. am I gonna get negative feedback for a $3.99 item that I worked real hard to list, pack, and then ship?

Selling cheap items on e-Bay. I thought I could nickle and dime my way to some extra money, but by the time I pay for fees and other little costs, I wind up losing money - plus it's very stressful - i.e. am I gonna get negative feedback for a $3.99 item that I worked real hard to list, pack, and then ship?

+1

ppatin said: Here's a question that has a potential for some amusing answers: what are some of the more foolish things you've done in an attempt to be frugal?

$10 bj from toothless granny instead of $40bj from 25yr old hooker.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/

sushiosushi said: $10 bj from toothless granny instead of $40bj from 25yr old hooker.Amen, bra. If you skimp on the sushi, ya gonna be sik.

My husband once walked in and said "you use that much toilet paper?" (yeah, it was the time of the month, I was using a lot of it.) His idea was that I use less toilet paper. My idea was that me using as much toilet paper as I wanted was cheaper than getting a divorce.

I also remind him of this comment every week or so (he said it last year) so it was an expensive comment for his emotional well-being.

curlychiquita said: My husband once walked in and said "you use that much toilet paper?" (yeah, it was the time of the month, I was using a lot of it.) His idea was that I use less toilet paper. My idea was that me using as much toilet paper as I wanted was cheaper than getting a divorce.

I also remind him of this comment every week or so (he said it last year) so it was an expensive comment for his emotional well-being.

Whenever I'm spending money to make my wife happy, in my mind I file it under the title "divorce insurance"

jkanownik said: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/

Link

Whenever I'm spending money to make my wife happy, in my mind I file it under the title "divorce insurance"

One can then ask why get married if your are going to just keep your wife happy with "divorce insurance"?

curlychiquita said: My husband once walked in and said "you use that much toilet paper?" (yeah, it was the time of the month, I was using a lot of it.) His idea was that I use less toilet paper. My idea was that me using as much toilet paper as I wanted was cheaper than getting a divorce.

your husband?

Buying cheap dress shirts. They fray quickly, shrink at the dry cleaners, and look unsightly after just a few uses. By spending a bit more (say $25 per shirt or stocking up when quality shirts are on sale), I can get 75+ uses out of a shirt before I consider retiring it. I wear dress shirts 4 out of 5 days a week.

Getting the last smidgen of toothpaste out of the tube. It makes a mess (cutting open the tube), requires 5-minutes of time that I'll never get back, and doesn't seem to accumulate any tangible financial benefit.

Buying CVS brand personal hygiene products. This is definitely YMMV. Some products are okay (cotton swabs), while others do not compare well with their brand counterparts (facial soap). Even with the CVS receipt coupons ($4 off $20 in CVS brand purchases), it just wasn't worth the savings. I think you can get a refund on some of these items, but the time/fuel required didn't justify it.

Price hunting on <$20 items for 30-minutes on Amazon, Fleabay, HD, etc.

comptalk said: Whenever I'm spending money to make my wife happy, in my mind I file it under the title "divorce insurance"

One can then ask why get married if your are going to just keep your wife happy with "divorce insurance"?

Well, having kids when you're married is cheaper than having 2 or three kids with two or three differnet women and paying child support to each. And if you don't have children your fanancial wizardry genes will not be passed on to future humanity and the idiots will take over the world.

Also, LOL to kamalktk.

Foolish frugality? Buying cheap insurance - this goes for health, auto, etc. I learned that quality does matter.

hotsauceking said: Foolish frugality? Buying cheap insurance - this goes for health, auto, etc. I learned that quality does matter.

I have the hardest time for with this. I know I should spend more, but I never seen anything from what I pay.

Buy things in bulk to save money, only to not be able to use it all by the expiration date.

This goes for food from Costco, and those stupid condom deals that keep popping up over at hot deals...

Maybe if you took the advice of soundtechie and spend some "insurance money" on a girlfriend/wife you'd be able to use those up....

PoisnBGood said: Buy things in bulk to save money, only to not be able to use it all by the expiration date.

This goes for food from Costco, and those stupid condom deals that keep popping up over at hot deals...

Some generic products are the same as or better than their name brand counterparts; however, this does not hold true for things like ketchup, mayo, cereal, soda, salad dressing, and especially toilet paper.

PoisnBGood said: ...those stupid condom deals that keep popping up over at hot deals...
Guilty. Well, it gives you a reason to tell your current girlfriend you need to start doing it 8 times a day to not be wasteful.

turtlebug said: Some generic products are the same as or better than their name brand counterparts; however, this does not hold true for things like ketchup, mayo, cereal, soda, salad dressing, and especially toilet paper.Kirkland (Costco) toilet paper is the company's biggest selling item.

I stopped going out on Thanksgiving fridays. The first few years, I got suckered into the Thanksgiving "deals". Standing in the line at 3am with deal addicts and store stampedes... all this just to save $50? just not worth it. The worse part is you end up buying something you don't need just because it is on TG sale.

I went to the dentist to have a tooth looked at that was bothering me. He said I had two cavities. I asked if it would be harmful to wait 4 months (so I could pay for it out of an FSA that I had not yet established) and he said I would be back within a month from the pain. I told him I handle pain very well which he just laughed at. Went back in for a checkup just in case two months later and was told the same thing. Marched in on the second of January (4 months after the initial visit) to find out I now needed two root canals, a post and core, and two crowns. Overshot my FSA allotment (based on their estimates the previous two visits) and insurance maximum by ~$3000. I made sure to give the work to another dentist at least...

turtlebug said: Some generic products are the same as or better than their name brand counterparts; however, this does not hold true for things like ketchup, mayo, cereal, soda, salad dressing, and especially toilet paper.

Generic/supermarket brand cheese is often much worse than the brand name stuff. One thing I've noticed about WholeFoods though is that unlike a lot of their products which are famously expensive, their store brand goods are well priced and fairly high quality. I prefer WholeFoods ketchup to Heinz.

I started Roth IRA three years ago. Contributed maximums for each year (13k total). I see ~20% lost there. It would be better to keep that money in savings account and gain at least 2-3%... uf...

Buying gold when it broke $1000 =/

I bought stocks worth $8000 around March 2000 (seriously). Then I went into hibernation for a long time. Came back to see two of those companies were bankrupt. Two of the remaining ones were trading barely above a $1 mark. They still are by the way.

comptalk said: Whenever I'm spending money to make my wife happy, in my mind I file it under the title "divorce insurance"

Sometimes staying married is cheaper than divorcing.

Buying penny stocks.

I don't *just* keep her happy with money, hence the word "whenever". The point is that if you are happily married (like I am) you should consider the costs involved as a blessing.

Trying to push buying a new fridge to next year

Every month or so the food goes bad... and I have to defrost the 'frost-free' GE fridge *sigh*

It's a bad idea... will probably get one if therez a good deal arnd TG...

Driving around for miles looking for the cheapest gas station.

Buying fruits in bulk from Costco to reduce cost/weight but wasting a lot of it as they went bad before we could consumer it. Now we buy only as much as we can consume

Buying Fleabay Chinese knockoffs for cell phone accessories and batteries. Yeah they cost a buck but break almost immediately and just leave you frusturated.

Skipping 162 Messages...
I bought cheap knock-offs of Gillette Sensor razor blades. I should have known better because even my father, the cheapest person on earth, pays extra and buys Gillette.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014