Discover "Cash Over"?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hey guys,

I thought I remembered reading a while back that Discover was ending its "Cash Over" program. However, I recently was at Wally World and when I used my Discover it offered Cash Over. Does anyone have updated information on if the Cash over program will continue to remain in effect? Have people who have done this before had the cash over amount added to the whole purchase, or does it show up as a separate one? The reason I am asking is with the 5% back on groceries starting in October, I could max out my limit faster than I normally would.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
At Safeway stores, the cashover is split out, so you don't earn rewards on it.

At Giant stores, cashover is also split ou... (more)

walletfart (Nov. 04, 2008 @ 8:24a) |

Can i get cash with Discover Gift Cards?

pyro123 (Nov. 07, 2008 @ 8:38p) |

Same question? Does anyone know? Thanks.

woodsley (Nov. 09, 2008 @ 12:16a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The way I understood it, Discover had made changes to ensure that your "Cash Over" would not be treated as a purchase.

As of today, WalMart/Sam's Club are the only place I know of where the Cash Over is still treated as a purchase and earn rewards.

In the DC area Giant Food stores are still treating cash over as a purchase and giving rebates. Wally's does as well but it's only 1/4%. Even so still better than using an ATM to get cash IMO.

Which Discover cards offer "cash over"? I've yet to have a Discover CC as I haven't yet had a reason to get one as of date.

hejustlaughs said: Which Discover cards offer "cash over"? I've yet to have a Discover CC as I haven't yet had a reason to get one as of date.

Any discover card is good but there're only a few places that allow to do this, usually at the supermarket.

Cash Over is alive and well and is definitely classified as a purchase. At least for my local supermarket, Discover statement breaks it out per transaction and shows how much cash I received. And I earned no rewards on the $40.

40.78 Supermarkets
CASHOVER $ 40.00 PURCHASES $ 0.78

xoneinax said: Cash Over is alive and well and is definitely classified as a purchase. At least for my local supermarket, Discover statement breaks it out per transaction and shows how much cash I received. And I earned no rewards on the $40.

40.78 Supermarkets

If you have a choice and goto WalMart, the entire transaction amount will be reported as a purchase (including the cashover amount) and you will earn rewards even on the cash. It may be that with WalMart's might, they refused to upgrade their system or it's scheduled into a future upgrade and it may one day end too.

I will try this on my miles card.

xoneinax said: Cash Over is alive and well and is definitely classified as a purchase. At least for my local supermarket, Discover statement breaks it out per transaction and shows how much cash I received. And I earned no rewards on the $40.

40.78 Supermarkets

LOL

p.s. Meijer was allowing cashover, but I never bothered to check if it earns any rewards

Great thread bassmanben! I'd seen the "Discover + Cash" option at the grocery store and been intrigued, but assumed that would be some type of cash advance until I saw this thread. Here's a message exchange I subsequently had with customer service. I've bolded the important parts.

My original message to Discover 8/20/08:

My local grocery store offers a Discover + Cash option. I want to know whether, if I were to get $10 - $20 Cash Back, that would be "a cash advance" or a purchase. I do not want to pay cash advance fees or cash advance APR to get a few dollars back, but if the Discover + Cash option is NOT a "cash advance", then I'd like to start using my Discover card instead of my bank debit card to buy groceries so that I can earn rewards on my groceries. Thank you for your response.

Their reply today (8/21/08):

Thank you for your message about the Cash Over option. I can understand your interest in this option and I am happy to assist you today!

The Cash Over option is a great way to get groceries and spending money whenever you use your Discover Card at the store. It can also save you money, because there is no transaction fee for obtaining cash over, and the Cash Over amount is subject to the standard Annual Percentage Rate (APR) for purchases.

The Cash Over amount will be listed separately from the purchase amount on your monthly statements.

The Standard CashBack Bonus Reward of up to 1% applies only to the amount of your purchase, not the Cash Over amount. But if you obtain Cash Over at a warehouse club, such as BJ's or Sam's Club, or a discount store like Wal-Mart, both the Cash Over and the purchase amount will receive a fixed 0.25% CashBack Bonus Reward.

I appreciate you taking the time to contact me and hope this information has been helpful. Thank you for choosing to use Discover Card.

You can find out more about this feature at http://discover.com/cashover/.

You're probably thinking of the discussion last year about how most Cash Over purchases would no longer yield rewards.

AMEX Blue is better. Discover card only really good certain times of the year. Like Summer (fuel + hotels) and Winter (food + gifts). Outside of those two seasons, I use either my Freedom card or a AMEX card.

The Albertsons I work at in San Diego allows $25 Cash Back with Discover. No Cash Back with other credit cards. However, I am not sure how it is reported to the credit card companies.

comptalk said: AMEX Blue is better. Discover card only really good certain times of the year. Like Summer (fuel + hotels) and Winter (food + gifts). Outside of those two seasons, I use either my Freedom card or a AMEX card.

Wow, I didn't know I could get cash charged as a purchase with the standard grace period and rewards with AMEX Blue. When I check out at the grocery the screen asks me how much cash I want back from my Discover, but doesn't when I use AMEX. How do I get the grocery to ring up the transaction so I can get cash from AMEX?

Anybody had luck getting offered the cashover using a self service checkout lane at a grocery store? even some walmarts have those...

CashBack for cashover officially ended June 2007. (or was it 2006?)

but some places still treat cashover as a purchase, and doesnt break it down on the credit card statement.

<--------- still gets CashBack for cashover

note:
I'm still using the old Discover card, not the new "secure" version.

Does anyone know if you need a pin# to get cash back this way?

Oops, sorry for the duplicate post. Don't know how to delete so I'm editing it!

linrose said: Oops, sorry for the duplicate post. Don't know how to delete so I'm editing it!
At least for the old Disc cards, you did not need any PIN.

maddybeagle said: Anybody had luck getting offered the cashover using a self service checkout lane at a grocery store? even some walmarts have those... Yes, I've done this twice now since my email to customer service confirmed it wouldn't be a cash advance. Once at an Albertson's and once at a Wal-Mart. Also waited until I got my statement to post back here. No rewards earned on the money, but no onerous cash advance fees or APR.

linrose said: Does anyone know if you need a pin# to get Cash Back this way? No PIN needed at either of the two grocery stores I used, linrose!

mahlax said: But if you obtain Cash Over at a warehouse club, such as BJ's or Sam's Club, or a discount store like Wal-Mart, both the Cash Over and the purchase amount will receive a fixed 0.25% CashBack Bonus Reward.

So if I'm reading this correctly, the entire purchase may drop from my normal 1% CashBack rate, down to 0.25% if I get CashBack at Wal-Mart, Sam's, BJs.

Bad news at Giant Food, they finally broke out the cash over at the end of September. Then a couple of early October transactions didn't, so go figure. It's annoying to have this happen directly after my anniversary date and with 19.28 in accrued rewards. Now I have to think how to liberate that 19.28. Oh well, maybe Wally's is still paying rewards for cash over.

Raiz, you are correct that you only get 1/4 of 1% at WalMart, but it doesn't affect transactions at other stores.

WalStMonky said: Bad news at Giant Food, they finally broke out the cash over at the end of September. Then a couple of early October transactions didn't, so go figure. It's annoying to have this happen directly after my anniversary date and with 19.28 in accrued rewards. Now I have to think how to liberate that 19.28. Oh well, maybe Wally's is still paying rewards for cash over.

Raiz, you are correct that you only get 1/4 of 1% at WalMart, but it doesn't affect transactions at other stores.

yeah, end of sept cashover is specifically listed. but oct1-13 it's not, then oct 16+ it is.

my anniversary date is Jan.

remember, you still get 5% with gas. so at $100/month max, you get $5/month. 4months = $20 redemption point to redeem for extra $ at partner stores.

Discover More gets 5% cash rewards at grocery stores through December. My local Kroger offers Cash Back, but I don't know the details, because I haven't needed cash there yet. I assume it's probably treated as a purchase in a separate category from the groceries, with no rewards. WalMart Supercenter is not included in the 5% cash rewards, because Discover doesn't consider it a grocery store.

got an offer from discover in email:
"Earn 2% CashBack Bonus on purchases made at grocery stores from 11/1/08 (or the date on which you signed up, whichever is later) through 12/31/08, subject to a cap of $1,000 in purchases. These purchases must post to your account by 12/31/08. Grocery store purchases are those made at merchants we classify as stand-alone grocery stores or supermarkets. Grocery or food purchases made at convenience stores, gas stations, warehouse clubs, supercenters and discount stores are not eligible. Allow up to 5 weeks for this reward to be added to your CashBack Bonus account. See CashBack Bonus Terms and Conditions for further details. "

conspiracy theory:
they killed CashBack on cashover for EVERYONE, and are trying not to lose us as customers so they are offering 2% CashBack on grocery stores.

LINK

edit:
Discover Open Road

edit2:
looks like i'm jumping to PenFed (5% gas/2% grocery) in Jan when my anniversary date hits, and i'm reset back to .25% until i make $1500 in purchases. no way i can make that in any decent time frame w/o cashover counting.

yurgreat said: got an offer from discover in email:
"Earn 2% CashBack Bonus on purchases made at grocery stores from 11/1/08 (or the date on which you signed up, whichever is later) through 12/31/08, subject to a cap of $1,000 in purchases. These purchases must post to your account by 12/31/08. Grocery store purchases are those made at merchants we classify as stand-alone grocery stores or supermarkets. Grocery or food purchases made at convenience stores, gas stations, warehouse clubs, supercenters and discount stores are not eligible. Allow up to 5 weeks for this reward to be added to your CashBack Bonus account. See CashBack Bonus Terms and Conditions for further details. "

LINK

Was this for Discover Miles customers only? Just curious. (I would think the 5% get more for standard platinum was normal)

VivYip,

i have the discover open road.

Im Wondering if anyone tried with the HSBC Discover?

Have gotten CashBack with the HSBC Discover. Don't think it is broken out on the bill.

Also don't think it's broken out on the Sam's Discover. CashBack at Wal Mart is blocked on the Sam's Discover, though.

At Safeway stores, the cashover is split out, so you don't earn rewards on it.

At Giant stores, cashover is also split out.

Can i get cash with Discover Gift Cards?

Same question? Does anyone know? Thanks.

pyro123 said: Can i get cash with Discover Gift Cards?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014