• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I figured I would post a cool debt collector story since there seems to be more DC threads popping up here.

Background:

Bought some hardwood flooring back in January of 06 from an online merchant in Nevada. For the sake of this post, we will call them ourflooringsucks.com.

Was about $2000 in actual flooring and another $750 in supplies to install the flooring, broken into TWO separate charges. Had it dropped shipped to my house by truck. They delivered over 50 cartons of this stuff to the street curb. Anyways I noticed that mabe 3 or 4 boxes had some wear and damage on them. I pointed this out to the driver and he said let the merchant know. I should have marked that there was some damage on the shipping receipt (my fault), but I didn't.

Anyways... I carry all 50 cartons into my house (this stuff was HEAVY - I easily had over 1000 pounds of this stuff). I got to install the flooring and I notice that a lot of the planks (in the boxes that were damaged) have cracks on the edges (where you lock them together). So I fire off email to merchant telling them I have maybe 10% damaged pieces, resend me 3 cartons. They refuse (even after I send them pictures of damaged product). They said I should go after shipper since I didn't note it on the receipt. I told the guy it was IMPOSSIBLE to inspect every single carton. That would mean I would have to open every box, inspect all four sides of every plank. This would take hours and no delivery guy in their right mind to wait while I did this at the curb (it was all freezing out and there was snow on the ground being in January).

I file BBB complaint against merchant. BBB complaint goes back and fourth, they say I should have noted damage and I could use the broken pieces as "cuttings" for the walls. I say this is a joke and I wasn't asking for much (3 out of 50 cartons). Anyways they still refuse so BBB closes case as administratively closed, customer not happy.

DJ starts to take action:

So after BBB case was closed, I decided to dispute the $2000 charge for the flooring with Chase since this company PISSED ME OFF. Again maybe this was going too far but screw these guys. They could have made a customer happy and they didn't so I am going after them. I send chase pictures of damaged product. I elected to not dispute the other $750 charge for the install supplies since I felt $2000 was enough for my "troubles".

Anyways... Chase takes the $2000 charge off my credit card and I never hear from Chase, or the merchant for a year and a half afterwards. Chase's dispute department scored extra points with me.

18 months later collections start:

So in June of 2007 (18 months later), I get a CALL from a debt collector. Totally caught me off guard as I was wondering who the hell are you. Right when I found out this was a DC I immediately said "Do not call me anymore, put everything in writing to me, bla bla bla". He was like "no no no, just hear me out... bla bla bla". So I said fine what do you have to say?

Long story short DC tells me they are representing ourflooringsucks.com and they want their money. They also said they sent me a letter a few days ago and they are following up (i'll get more into this letter shortly). I tell them that I didn't see any letter and I disputed this charge with my bank and they found in my favor. DC says that doesn't excuse the debt I owe ourflooringsucks.com. He says I owe them $2849. I said no way is this debt amount even accurate because I only disputed $2000 worth of the flooring and explain that this was bought with two separate charges to my credit card. DC was surprised at this and he said "ok let me talk to ourflooringsucks.com about this and i'll get back to you."

Dealing with "profitable" letters from DC:

Anyways I find the letter they sent me in my stack of mail for that week that I didn't open yet. I open letter and looks standard but does NOT include my 30 day right to dispute. (PRO-FIT) They also send me a second letter a day later with pretty much the same wording (again no 30 day right to dispute). Second letter said they are demanding money in "7 days" or else they will take "action" against me. This second letter also says I now owe them $2856 (more than last letter).

So I send in Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested DV letter to them anyways demanding validation. I also decide to fire off PM to codename47 and I gave him the story. He was suggesting I sue them for not giving me my 30 day right to dispute. But I figured let me just see what happens with this DV letter. If they go away i'll just drop this matter. I knew I was already "ahead of the game" by having $2000 worth of flooring that I didn't pay for. I don't hear from them for 3 months. I figured yay... they went away since they didn't get back to me in 30 days. Then they send me another letter and this is where it gets fun.

DC's last letter shoots themselves in the foot:

DC sends me another letter (now this is in Dec of 07 - three months after initial contact and BEYOND the 30 day window they have to prove validation). I'll cut and paste some quotes from what the letter said just so you can see the stupidity of this debt collector.

Dear Sir:

The above creditor (the flooring place) reviewed my dispute letter, and they have denied your dispute on the basis that the damage was not reported in a timely matter and that the boards that were damaged should be used for fillins.

Please remit payment as soon as possible as my client has authorized suit action if it is necessary and the suit would be in the state of Nevada.

So now they are threatening to sue me, and sue me out of state. I have to admit this made me nervous. I don't want to have to fly out to Nevada to defend myself. Also this letter now says I owe them $3031 (more than the first two - amount keeps going up). Where are they getting these numbers from?

And they say they are "denying" my dispute. What the hell is this crap? You can't DENY a request for validation. You can only send validation (which they didn't). I was mainly looking for a bill that explains how they came up with this innacurate amount that I owed them. I guess this idiot DC thought my DV letter was a dispute where the letter clearly stated I was not disputing and I was LOOKING FOR VALIDATION.

What a freakin' joke. Time to "go codename47 on them"!

Conclusion:

I try to find a lawyer that will help me. I find this great website http://www.naca.net/. I use their attorney search to find a list of attornies in my area with their phone numbers and email addresses. I said to myself, let me fire off a bunch of emails, explain my case, and see if one of these guys will "bite".

I sent about 10 emails, giving a brief description of my story, AND copies of all the DC letters. I talk to a few of them over the phone until I find one guy that says "lets sue them". He says all he does is sue harassing debt collectors and takes the case free of charge as he says "You will not have to pay me anything because I only take cases where I KNOW I will win". He also went on to say that "this will settle quickly".

I pay him a visit in person. He says that "you know you are still ahead of the game here by disputing this entire charge", which I agreed to obviously. He says the letter that "peaked his interest" was the fact that this idiot debt collector threatened the sue me in what he called "a distant forum". He said this is against FDCPA and they are not allowed to do this. He further said he didn't like the "tone" of that last letter.

He decides to file suit in federal court (in MY home state) since he felt it would be best to go on the "offensive". He handles everything. Long story short, lawyer for DC tries to say that they know they screwed up, but I still owe them money for this debt. My lawyer pretty much says to DC's lawyer "it doesn't matter... you violated FDCPA".

Anyways my lawyer calls me a few months later says instead of my $1000 FDCPA violation, he says he can probably negotiate that this debt simply "goes away" in exchange for the $1000. He also says in addition, he will get paid by them for his attorney fees.

So they settle, I get this $3000 debt taken care off. They can never come after me again, nor can another DC come after me for this debt as my lawyer says "doing that would lead to a BIGGER lawsuit". My lawyer gets $1000 in fees. I didn't do a damm bit of work. PRO-FIT FOR ALL!!!!!

Morale of the story + datapoints

- Disputing a charge on your credit card (and winning dispute) doesn't absolve you of the debt. Merchants can still go after you.

- If you get letters from DCs, SAVE THE LETTERS. They may be worth money.

- Find good FDCPA lawyer and show him letters. Since lawyers can sue for their attorney fees under FDCPA, they will take a case for free they feel they can win. Lawyers need the work just as much as we do.

- I thought finding a lawyer would be difficult, until I found http://www.naca.net. Lots of attornies listed in their database "looking for work". It even lists the types of law each lawyer practices. I only emailed the guys local to me specializing in collections. There were other lawyers that specialized in other stuff like Landlord/Tenant, Bankruptcy, etc.

- Fire off emails to a bunch of attornies and include all coorespondence from the DCs (including scanned copies of the DC letters). A lawyer will respond if you have a case. I sent about 10 emails and got 5 responses back.

- Even if you screwed up on some things (like I did by not noting damage on the delivery receipt), it doesn't matter if the DC screws up more. Lesson definitely learned for future deliveries.

- And finally.... PROFIT!

Codename47 was really cool and I definitely thank him because he took the time to answer a lot of my questions over the span of five months. I can't say this will work for everyone as some DCs really know the law and are careful with their letters.

But I must say that "going codename47" on this DC, and sueing the crap out of them, was so invigorating because I realized who I was doing this against. There is nothing more satisfying in life than sticking it to these debt collector creetins and knowing you got the best of them.

ETA: corrected some grammar

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Get a tape recorder. Pick up and say you're willing to consider paying the debt. To whom do I make the check out to? Whe... (more)

darkmeridian (Nov. 05, 2008 @ 3:14p) |

Don't say that you are willing to consider paying the debt. THAT could be interpreted as restarting the SOL clock.

What ... (more)

gatzdon (Nov. 06, 2008 @ 7:11a) |

I wouldn't say that I'd consider paying it, but not for that reason. I have yet to see a state where you restart the SOL... (more)

codename47 (Nov. 06, 2008 @ 8:44a) |

Let me also add one other datapoint.

It is possible that this merchant deals with a bunch of contractors that install flooring for clients. I am sure they sell to remodeling companies and other resellers that buy this stuff at their low warehouse pricing and install this flooring for other clients.

So if I was a contractor and this was a BUSINESS debt that I didn't pay, my lawyer said this would have went in a totally different direction.

The one question that every lawyer kept asking was "WAS THIS A CONSUMER DEBT OR A BUSINESS DEBT". And the other question they kept asking was did I use the flooring for my own "PERSONAL" use.

If this was a business debt, I believe the merchant and DC do have the right to sue me out of state. But it's possible they really had no way of knowing for sure what type of use this flooring was for. I paid this with a personal credit card, but they also have no way of deciphering that.

I did tell the customer service rep that this was being installed in my home and i was doing the install myself. But I am sure the DC really had no knowledge of that.

Just a little tidbit.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks for this. I appreciate it, as I just got an interesting letter from a collection agency for a cell phone I had 12 years ago that I supposedly didn't pay.

NukeMedDude said: Thanks for this. I appreciate it, as I just got an interesting letter from a collection agency for a cell phone I had 12 years ago that I supposedly didn't pay.

Demand validation. When they screw up, go lawyer shopping.

Great post..of course you shouldn't have disputed the entire $2,000 and you know it, but I would have done the same

FloorsMat said: Great post..of course you shouldn't have disputed the entire $2,000 and you know it, but I would have done the same

Obviously I realize I made out like a bandit (sort-of). But they pissed me off. Remember I only asked for them to send me 3 cartons worth of flooring to cover the damaged pieces that I PROVED WITH PICS were damaged.

How much was that worth? $100 bucks? That's not even 5% of the total purchase. The guy that I was dealing with from the merchant's customer service (through an email thread, the BBB thread, and over the phone) was a total cocky ***hole.

They could have made a customer happy. But they didn't and they paid for it. Their flooring sucked anyways. I have all sorts of scratches and chips on the floor. Its garbage flooring, my wife hates the quality. I am glad I didn't pay for it. Well I paid for the underlayment and install supplies, but whatever.

Let me also add one other datapoint.

It is possible that this merchant deals with a bunch of contractors that install flooring for clients. I am sure they sell to remodeling companies and other resellers that buy this stuff at their low warehouse pricing and install this flooring for other clients.

So if I was a contractor and this was a BUSINESS debt that I didn't pay, my lawyer said this would have went in a totally different direction.

The one question that every lawyer kept asking was "WAS THIS A CONSUMER DEBT OR A BUSINESS DEBT". And the other question they kept asking was did I use the flooring for my own "PERSONAL" use.

If this was a business debt, I believe the merchant and DC do have the right to sue me out of state. But it's possible they really had no way of knowing for sure what type of use this flooring was for. I paid this with a personal credit card, but they also have no way of deciphering that.

I did tell the customer service rep that this was being installed in my home and i was doing the install myself. But I am sure the DC really had no knowledge of that.

Just a little tidbit.

thanks for interesting post, I got this Debt Collector notice from DC agency in May 08 for the collection of Medical Bill of $500 from the accident in March 2004. As far as I knew, Insurance took care of that bill (not mine) but I don't have any record for the payment. So I was really nervous by seeing my FICO score drop to 620 from around 750 in just one day because they sent this account as collection on the credit report at the same time.
I went to Creditboard to find any solution to my problem, I was willing to pay $500 but I need to know if insurance (who is supposed to pay for those charges) didn't pay. I found the sample DV letters and fire off to the DC agency and also to all 3 CRA's, never heard back from DC agency since then and all 3 CRA removed the account after one month.
So far so good, now since 30 days (actually 90 days) had already passed and still no reply so I am waiting for the magic letter from DC.

Good for you on standing up for your principles. And thanks for sharing. I hope a lot of people read this and get wise to big companies like ourflooringsucks.com.

Congrats on using the system to your advantage. That's the American way (sorta). But looking at it from the other side of things, you got 47 cartons of flooring from these people and never paid for them. Maybe that's not theft (since you didn't set out to do it in the first place), but it is at least a little shady. I'm all for teaching debt collectors a lesson, but in this case you got away with something you shouldn't have.

Thanks for the great post!
One quick question - I guess once a DC is involved, it will impact your credit history. But, is this true? When I buy something online, I obviously don't give them my SSN, so how would it effect my credit score? Can they go by a name/address/contact, locate the identity of the person and change the score?

wallet99 said: Thanks for the great post!
One quick question - I guess once a DC is involved, it will impact your credit history. But, is this true? When I buy something online, I obviously don't give them my SSN, so how would it effect my credit score? Can they go by a name/address/contact, locate the identity of the person and change the score?

They can definitely put a mark on your credit report with just your name and address. But they have go through FDCPA procedures before they can do this and I started fighting the DC way before it got to that point (legally).

I have to admit I was actually HOPING they would have marked my credit. Then I could have sued the DC for damages outside of the $1000 standard violation. I am sure in the middle of my AOR with 50k in personal credit card debt showing, I would have had all kinds of adverse action if my scores suddenly went from 720 to 620.

You are my hero!
A debt collector keeps calling us at home for a debt my sister owes; we've moved out of state, I don't know how they keep finding us! I wish they'd send me silly letters. They refuse to give me a mailing address (just hang up) but keep calling. I hate debt collectors.

Great post, glad it worked out for you!

Props for giving detailed info on what you did, where you screwed up, etc.

gludlow said: You are my hero!
A debt collector keeps calling us at home for a debt my sister owes; we've moved out of state, I don't know how they keep finding us! I wish they'd send me silly letters. They refuse to give me a mailing address (just hang up) but keep calling. I hate debt collectors.

You can sue them for harassing phone calls. You don't need letters. Talk to an attorney.

Well, this is just about the most awesome story I've read in a while.

This makes me think twice about buying flooring online.... I have been looking at some different places... what letter does this company start with?

DasBoot said: Congrats on using the system to your advantage. That's the American way (sorta). But looking at it from the other side of things, you got 47 cartons of flooring from these people and never paid for them. Maybe that's not theft (since you didn't set out to do it in the first place), but it is at least a little shady. I'm all for teaching debt collectors a lesson, but in this case you got away with something you shouldn't have.I disagree. He got the flooring for free since the company employed poor business practices/customer service and then violated FDCPA. OP appears to have had every intention of paying for the materials before the company failed to deliver his order in full.

DasBoot said: Congrats on using the system to your advantage. That's the American way (sorta). But looking at it from the other side of things, you got 47 cartons of flooring from these people and never paid for them. Maybe that's not theft (since you didn't set out to do it in the first place), but it is at least a little shady. I'm all for teaching debt collectors a lesson, but in this case you got away with something you shouldn't have.
Yes that's true but it never would have escalated to that point had the flooring compnay done right by the customer. OP was more than willing to accept 3 replacement cartons; the company tried to go all "you didn't inspect all the boxes before the driver left". The company could have even resolved it without bringing in a DC. Don't blame the OP.

ArmchairQB said: This makes me think twice about buying flooring online.... I have been looking at some different places... what letter does this company start with?Moral of the story: Look at the reviews/BBB complaints for a company before making a large order (and then select the one who is the crappiest to get the product for free ).

FloorsMat said: Great post..of course you shouldn't have disputed the entire $2,000 and you know it, but I would have done the same

I don't think there is a way to dispute part of a charge. I believe it's all or nothing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

i think i remember when you first posted this story. so glad to hear how it turned out!

delzy said: FloorsMat said: Great post..of course you shouldn't have disputed the entire $2,000 and you know it, but I would have done the same

I don't think there is a way to dispute part of a charge. I believe it's all or nothing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You may be able to dispute a portion. And remember I didn't get EVERYTHING for free. I paid $750 bucks for underlayment cork and the tarp to prevent moisture. There were two charges and I disputed one of them (the larger charge or course).

I simply wanted to put them "on notice" that I was pissed. What's the point of disputing such a small amount? I wasn't getting anywhere with them when I was threatening them with BBB complaints. Do you really think they would do anything over a measley $100 dispute? I say go for the jugular!

I was banking that the merchant would see the dispute and then get their head out of their a** by sending me the three cartons of flooring that I asked for in exchange for me dropping the dispute (which I would have agreed to).

I didn't think this would work out this good (with Chase getting everything back related to that larger charge).

Let me chime in and give a virtual high 5 to DJ Pill for actually standing up for himself! Some people here have claimed that suing and standing up for yourself is too hard and that you can't do it. Poppycock! I too know the excitement of sticking it to companies that deserve it. Glad to help out, and I hope other people are inspired by this and maybe they'll see 1) that it isn't that hard and 2)they can do it too.

They refuse to give me a mailing address (just hang up) but keep calling.
Tell them you are going to pay them and you want to send a check.

But looking at it from the other side of things, you got 47 cartons of flooring from these people and never paid for them.
Call it liquidated damages in lieu of cash. Maybe he never paid for them, but he certainly deserved it given the violations.

One quick question - I guess once a DC is involved, it will impact your credit history. But, is this true?
No, it is not true. Not all debt collectors report to the CRA's. Heck, if they did that would make life even more interesting. FCRA claims are 1k, per VIOLATION. They are going to have to cough up a lot more flooring to cover that.

You can dispute all or a portion of a debt. If someone bills you for X, but they try to later say you owe X+50, you can dispute either the X+50 or the X or the 50. It is incumbent on the company to provide validation of the amount that was agreed upon.

Amazing you had the cool to send letters to 10 Lawyers and wait for something. My weekness is I start worrying about all the things that can happen if I wait for them to sue me out of state. And of course the marks on my credit.

Amazing you had the cool to send letters to 10 Lawyers and wait for something. My weekness is I start worrying about all the things that can happen if I wait for them to sue me out of state. And of course the marks on my credit.
Pfft, a lawsuit out of venue is bad news, for the person filing it. You have a stone cold FDCPA violation, plus possibly sanctions, plus the lawyer potentially opens themselves up to a FDCPA suit PERSONALLY. Sue the company and the lawyer for double the fun.

fatcool said: Amazing you had the cool to send letters to 10 Lawyers and wait for something. My weekness is I start worrying about all the things that can happen if I wait for them to sue me out of state. And of course the marks on my credit.

The lawyers got back to me quickly. The first email was received an hour after I sent out the letters. The lawyer I retained emailed me a day later.

You don't have to email if you are nervous. The naca has all the info including phone numbers for all the lawyers.

I emailed for two reasons:

1. So i could include SCANNED copies of all my DC letters as attachments. This way they can right away examine the case (WITH the proof) and make a decision if it's worth it to pursue. So I don't sound like some nutjob calling that has no clue.

2. So i don't waste their time and they can review this on their own time. Usually when you call a lawyer you end up getting a voicemail or an assistant that has no clue about the law. I made it simple and I even worded it this way. I said in my email "I am planning on sueing this debt collector. I figured if you were interested and wanted *a piece of the pie*, feel free to contact me". I literally said that (with the pie wording).

good story, bad merchant.

They should have sent you replacement cartons, and asked for the bad pieces back, then worked with the shipper for hidden damage.

Instead they went stupid, and hit a road block with a smart consumer.

Oh and one other thing. Not all lawyers are created equal.

The first guy I spoke to, while being very nice and giving me an hour of his time over the phone, didn't think it was illegal for them to threaten to sue me out of state. He did admit when we first started talking that FDCPA wasn't his specialty but would talk to me anyways. He actually offered for me to call the DC on my behalf to try to "settle on the amount"... of course for a modest Attorney fee that I would pay. LOL no thanks, but thanks for your time.

Then I eventually found the guy that specializes in FDCPA and he knew his stuff. So definitely talk to a few different lawyers. They may give you different stories/opinions.

I have to admit I was actually HOPING they would have marked my credit. Then I could have sued the DC for damages outside of the $1000 standard violation. I am sure in the middle of my AOR with 50k in personal credit card debt showing, I would have had all kinds of adverse action if my scores suddenly went from 720 to 620.

That would have been an nightmare to fix, with an AOR going on. I'd be glad they didn't do it.

DjPiLL said: I figured if you were interested and wanted *a piece of the pie*, feel free to contact me". I literally said that (with the pie wording).

LOL...classic

Great Job, OP!

I don't agree.
We've got a consumer that got the shaft from a merchant due to the negligence of a shipping company.
It's very likely that the condition of those items was the issue of the shipping company, not the merchant.

Should the merchant eat the cost of the damaged 10%? Perhaps... Well, perhaps after a battle with the shipping company. As it's not reasonable for you to open every box, I would have talked to the merchant directly to see "what we can do together" to address that damaged 10%.

Instead, you got pissed because the merchant behaved badly and stuck them for $2000 instead of $200. Sorry, but BAD CONSUMER.

Can you be sued out of venue... Very likely. Ignoring all the FDCPA, you bought something over the web and unless they target your specific geography with advertisement, it is likely that the correct civil venue is in their city.

Assuming they followed FDCPA, they could sue... Ding your credit? Perhaps...

Personally, I'd call them up and make a settlement offer. Something that's fair which is what both the merchant and the consumer should have been working towards in the beginning.

congrats OP and yeah for codename47!

dcg9381 said: I don't agree.
We've got a consumer that got the shaft from a merchant due to the negligence of a shipping company.
It's very likely that the condition of those items was the issue of the shipping company, not the merchant.

I agree. The merchant chose the shipper. They packaged the material, and then failed to do ANYTHING for the consumer.

He paid $2k for whole flooring, he didn't receive it. The company failed to compensate him fairly, so the buyer refused to pay.

The seller then sold the debt to a collection agency to get some money back. The agent broke the law, was sued, and lost.

I think OP acted appropriately here. I'm not sure why you're sticking up for a bad merchant, especially when your logic makes no sense at all. Troll, probably

No, not a troll. IF the debt was sold, I've got no issue with the FDCPA in regard to that claim.

I take issue with claiming 100% loss on 10% of damaged material, that's all.

I had a debt collector called me asking for a person that does not exist. The person probably did but since i had the number (darn cell phones company keep recycling phone number), they keep calling (dead beat debtor must have ran away). I got tired and normally just hangup. They even spoof their caller id and tried to reach a settlement of the debt for 2k.

Then one day she got nasty and started shouting. I guess i must have irritate her which is easy to do. Normally DC will call and ask something like, 'I like to speak with xxxx" or "Who am i speaking with?" or "Are you xxx". I will just answer something like 'Does it matter who am i?", "Why don't you tell me who you are?". Basically answer their question with an answer that does not divulge too much information. This pisses some DC.

I said that is enough, i have been patient and nice enough to tell them no such person here (and they still do not believe, they even ask me if i am his dad or brother or friend) and started recording phone calls. In my state, recording calls without consent is ok (i check this). When they call, i keep telling them there is no such person, please do not call again, please do this all in writing, i am at work, why do you keep calling me everyday when i told you not to etc. I just repeated as many statements as i can and be calm, sweet angel voice so that when they call again i knew they will be violating FDCPA (i did not lie, i was at work and busy and this people will call like twice a day, sometimes in the night or weekend). I got the service of a lawyer, handed phone statement, recorded calls and sued. We settled for 10k. That must be some violation to settle for that amount. I wonder if i could get more.

Oh and just 1 month ago the phone rang asking for this person again. I think they may have sold the debt to someone else. They rang like 3 times in a week, then stop. It has not continued since. This new debt agency must not be that aggressive like the one i sued

Out of curiosity, what type of flooring was it and what did you do to get the replacement cartons? Also, can an interested party PM you with a guess on the company's name? I have two similar stories on bad behavior from flooring companies, though no follow-through on the chargeback, etc.

Venturion said: Out of curiosity, what type of flooring was it and what did you do to get the replacement cartons? Also, can an interested party PM you with a guess on the company's name? I have two similar stories on bad behavior from flooring companies, though no follow-through on the chargeback, etc.

I never got replacement cartons. They refused to ship me a lousy three boxes!

Lucky for me I ordered about 15% extra than I thought I would need for the job since I figured I may screw up on the installation with cutting and I was at least able to finish the job.

dcg9381 said:

I would have talked to the merchant directly to see "what we can do together" to address that damaged 10%.

Instead, you got pissed because the merchant behaved badly and stuck them for $2000 instead of $200. Sorry, but BAD CONSUMER.

I DID talk to the merchant directly. I first called and they said they would look into it. Then I had an email thread going back and fourth with their customer service. At least six emails (three from me, three from them) were passed.

Then I had the BBB complaint which was similar to the email complaint. They state their case. I state my case. They respond. I respond to their response.

There was TONS of communication. What do you expect me as the customer do otherwise? I screwed up because I didn't note it on the shipping receipt that cartons were damaged. But even if I did that, its still possible this idiot merchant still would have given me a hard time.

I asked for about $100 bucks of replacement on a $3000 order! That like 3% of the total order. I still can't believe they gave me such a hard time over this, but they got what they deserved in the end.

Skipping 94 Messages...
Don't say that you are willing to consider paying the debt. THAT could be interpreted as restarting the SOL clock.
I wouldn't say that I'd consider paying it, but not for that reason. I have yet to see a state where you restart the SOL clock by acknowledging a debt.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014