• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Which banks cash checks without you needing an account at that bank?

Thanks

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

All banks can cash checks without having an account there

xoneinax said: All banks can cash checks without having an account there

Not true, just went to Bank of America, and the lady out right said no.
I didn't argue with her and just left.

All banks CAN cash checks without an account. Most won't for non-customers unless it is a check from their bank. They want the funds to clear first, and they can't if they give you cash.

You can take it to a check-cashing place and pay a commission/fee for the privilege.

Morty said: All banks CAN cash checks without an account. Most won't for non-customers unless it is a check from their bank. They want the funds to clear first, and they can't if they give you cash.

You can take it to a check-cashing place and pay a commission/fee for the privilege.

Many, if not most, banks won't even cash checks that are from their own bank unless you also have a account with them. Many years ago, I worked for a small business owner, who had cash flow problems and were bouncing payroll checks. So instead of depositing the check into my account and risk a bounced check fee on my account, I tried to cash it a bank the check was drawn from, but they didn't want to cash it for me unless I was a customer.

Most banks will cash their own checks even for non-customers. Some, especially Chase, will charge a fee to do so. (IMHO Chase is trying to pressure you to start an account, since they have a version of free checking)

BofA will certainly cash their own checks over the counter, it was something I asked when I opened my account with them.
---

You are stuck with opening an account to deposit the check if you don't want to pay a commision to someone and cannot get to the bank it was written from. If its a payroll check its not as hard to get it cashed, you can do that at most grocery stores up to a certain amount. A lot depends on the type of check it is.

EDIT: I believe the law requires a bank BRANCH to cash its own checks. (they have the ability to call the issuer to verify) Note that I mean the specific branch, not the specific bank.

RedWolfe01 said: Most banks will cash their own checks even for non-customers. Some, especially Chase, will charge a fee to do so. (IMHO Chase is trying to pressure you to start an account, since they have a version of free checking)

BofA will certainly cash their own checks over the counter, it was something I asked when I opened my account with them.
---

You are stuck with opening an account to deposit the check if you don't want to pay a commision to someone and cannot get to the bank it was written from. If its a payroll check its not as hard to get it cashed, you can do that at most grocery stores up to a certain amount. A lot depends on the type of check it is.

EDIT: I believe the law requires a bank BRANCH to cash its own checks. (they have the ability to call the issuer to verify) Note that I mean the specific branch, not the specific bank.

I had a check from my employer that was meant to cover business related travel expenses. Because it was issued late in the day and I had less than an hour to cash it before the banks closed, I went to the bank on which it was drawn. The bank wanted to charge me a fee because I didn't have an account with them. I declined and opted to deposit it through the ATM at my own bank but it was a hassle.

RedWolfe01 said: EDIT: I believe the law requires a bank BRANCH to cash its own checks. (they have the ability to call the issuer to verify) Note that I mean the specific branch, not the specific bank.

That might be true about banks, but it's definitly not true for credit unions. We're not allowed to cash a share draft (a check from our bank) unless that person has an account, and most of the time they can't even sign up for an account because they're not in the feild of membership. I think it's a good question, how ever it really depends on the branch and hte person who wrote the check as well.

The other reason that banks charge to cash non customer checks is due to fraud. If I steal a check from you and cash it at a bank with a fake ID, the bank has no recourse. Part of that fee covers check cashing fraud.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014