• 123 4 511
  • Page
  • Text Only
I am thinking of opening a online savings account or short term CD. This looks like a best available choice. Let me know if i need to look at other alternatives.

mh83 said: yaijic said: FDIC insured?
Yes.

DollarSavingsDirect, a division of Emigrant Bank, Member FDIC, Certificate No. 12054

I'm 99% sure these guys are who they say they are since so many people have opened accounts and they would have been outed by now if they were a scam and not part of Emigrant, but they really make it kind of hard to confirm who they say they are.

I don't understand the private domain registration:

Administrative Contact :
Emigrant Savings Bank
wr4dc3q92m8@networksolutionsprivateregistration.com
ATTN: DOLLARSAVINGSDIRECT.COM
c/o Network Solutions
P.O. Box 447
Herndon, VA 20172-0447
Phone: 570-708-8780

When you pull up certificate number 12054, it is definitely Emigrant's FDIC insurance number, but nowhere in any of the records is there any mention of Dollar Savings Direct as a subsidiary, or otherwise.

The SSL cert makes no mention of Emigrant either (not that I would expect it to, but just saying).

The only thing I did find is that the website's IP address is owned by Emigrant:

Search ARIN WHOIS for: 68.163.112.93

Verizon Internet Services Inc. VIS-68-160 (NET-68-160-0-0-1)
68.160.0.0 - 68.163.255.255
Emigrant Savings Bank VZ-MGRNTSVNGSBNK-1 (NET-68-163-112-0-1)
68.163.112.0 - 68.163.112.255

So for anyone perhaps a bit paranoid as I was, the above does pretty much ensure this is an Emigrant subsidiary.

Private domain registration is a service provided by registrars to prevent email spamming, and generally providing less personal information within public domain registration information. The email, and regular mail address, associated with domain registration is fully public, and I'm sure you can imagine the privacy issues that could cause ... hence the recent rise of private registration services where the registrar acts as an intermediary address.

In short, there is nothing sneaky about this at all.

Privacy issues for a corporate bank? Really?

eviljim said: Privacy issues for a corporate bank? Really?

You wouldn't believe how much crap mail comes to the admin email address where the only place the admin address is on the whois of a domain.

Emigrant Direct, Dollarsavings Direct, and Emigrant Bank have the same FDIC charter. The other Emigrant banks: Emigrant Savings Bank - Manhattan, Emigrant Savings Bank - Bronx/Westchester, Emigrant Savings Bank - Brooklyn/Queens, and Emigrant Savings Bank - Long Island have individual FDIC charters. There is a recent promotional advertisements on how to diversify large balance among the Emigrant family to maintain full FDIC converage for Jumbo savings portfolios.

RightPatriot said: khorne55 said: i just tried to open an account and i got that message that they would contact me. i got an email from them that said to call so i did. they said they were not allowed to access drivers license info in my state. I called BS because i just opened an account for my mother (same state) with them no problem. She said they get an old address for me when they try to verify even though my drivers license and the account i tried to link has my correct address. she said "you need to mail" at which point i cut her off and told her to cancel the application and hung up. I almost forgot how much of a PITA it was to deal with Emigrant Direct.

That's exactly what happened with me. It isn't worth the extra .25% to me to deal with these imbeciles. GMAC has been great for me so far.

DSD gave me no fuss at all to open my account.

Opened a new account. Hopefully everything goes fine.

Opening the account isn't the problem. The problem comes when you want to add a second linked account.

Thinking of opening an account -- though am concerned about its star rating. 1 star at Bankrate (lowest) and dropped to 2 stars at BauerFinancial. Any big concerns?

Just stay under the FDIC limits and take the interest. Don't put 100% of the money you'd need in a pinch here and you'll be fine.

Are you guys still having an argument whether the bank is legit or not? Are you serious? FDIC is all I need to see. I hesitated on the FBNO when their rate was high because of the same thing and I ended up missing the 6%.

Just opened my account and everything is just fine!

has anyone emailed/posted to Yodlee/Mint about their lack of support for this bank? I have several times but I think we need some more voices added to the mix to resolve this problem.

Thanks.

P.S. any one have news on whether or not this 4.0% rate is going to stick?

davegod75 said: has anyone emailed/posted to Yodlee/Mint about their lack of support for this bank? I have several times but I think we need some more voices added to the mix to resolve this problem.

Thanks.

It works fine on Yodlee, just not on Mint. Yet another reason I use Yodlee and not Mint (it takes too long for them to push site updates to mint).

davegod75 said: has anyone emailed/posted to Yodlee/Mint about their lack of support for this bank? I have several times but I think we need some more voices added to the mix to resolve this problem.

Thanks.

Banks offering the highest rates will also be the most monetarily needy and perhaps unstable. DSD is one of those banks. Otherwise, we can only speculate. I expect the rate to drop within the next two weeks, while remaining (comparatively speaking) one of the highest bank rates around throughout the year. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

well put

urage said: Are you guys still having an argument whether the bank is legit or not? Are you serious? FDIC is all I need to see. I hesitated on the FBNO when their rate was high because of the same thing and I ended up missing the 6%.

Just opened my account and everything is just fine!

Xeon852 said: davegod75 said: has anyone emailed/posted to Yodlee/Mint about their lack of support for this bank? I have several times but I think we need some more voices added to the mix to resolve this problem.

Thanks.

It works fine on Yodlee, just not on Mint. Yet another reason I use Yodlee and not Mint (it takes too long for them to push site updates to mint).

I am not able to add my account to yodlee. Do you need to enter those security questions also as it is.

rustum said: Xeon852 said: davegod75 said: has anyone emailed/posted to Yodlee/Mint about their lack of support for this bank? I have several times but I think we need some more voices added to the mix to resolve this problem.

Thanks.

I am not able to add my account to yodlee. Do you need to enter those security questions also as it is.

Yes. You can find the questions/answers if you don't remember all of them in the My Profile tab of DSD.

I'd guess they're drop the the mid 3's sometime next month. I think I've been riding the 4% since October.

Is the best time to schedule a transfer on a Monday, so that your money doesn't get tied up over the weekend? I plan to do a pull going from HSBC to DSD.

yep

MrNovember said: Is the best time to schedule a transfer on a Monday, so that your money doesn't get tied up over the weekend? I plan to do a pull going from HSBC to DSD.
Any day except a Friday would be fine I think, since the transfers go in 1 day.

Rate is still 4.00% APY, with new option for 16 month CD also at 4.00% APY

To keep the $ in more then just one bank , what the next best choice compared to (or beside) Dollarsavings bank?

Anyone?

bryan2010 said: rustum said:

Yes. You can find the questions/answers if you don't remember all of them in the My Profile tab of DSD.

I'd guess they're drop the the mid 3's sometime next month. I think I've been riding the 4% since October.

Hi Byan,
I am able to add this to yodlee.I have just opened account. I hope, interest rate stays for some more time.

jimshopping said: To keep the $ in more then just one bank , what the next best choice compared to (or beside) Dollarsavings bank?

Anyone?

I have very little savings. I am keeping 75% of savings in this bank and remaining in ingdirect.

anyone here know if i could transfer my money from ufb direct to dsd without a charge? the last time i switched accounts over apy i just transferred money to paypal as a middle man between old and new bank. it got held and took about 2 weeks longer than it was supposed to so i'm reluctant to do it again.

noANANDforme said: Rate is still 4.00% APY, with new option for 16 month CD also at 4.00% APYI feel the rate drop coming....16 mo CD is down to 3.50%. How low will the savings account go.

I just opened a DSD account. Any body can tell me how can I get my account number? What I see is just the last 4 digits.

aBulldog said: I just opened a DSD account. Any body can tell me how can I get my account number? What I see is just the last 4 digits.

1) Login.
2) Click on your account.
3) Click on the link that says "To print a deposit slip click here."

Your account number is displayed.

smcelder said: aBulldog said: I just opened a DSD account. Any body can tell me how can I get my account number? What I see is just the last 4 digits.

1) Login.
2) Click on your account.
3) Click on the link that says "To print a deposit slip click here."

Your account number is displayed.

That's so smart! Thanks smcelder.

aBulldog said: I just opened a DSD account. Any body can tell me how can I get my account number? What I see is just the last 4 digits.

Another way is to click on the "Preferences" tab and click on "Edit" for that account.

That's awesome! Here I am waiting for a snail mail confirmation with my acct # LOL

RightPatriot said: Opening the account isn't the problem. The problem comes when you want to add a second linked account.

BINGO !!
I had no problem openning the account.
Linking the first was painless because they use the trail deposits to verify.
The 2nd will be a pain though wanting cancelled checks, etc...
Needless to say, I never linked my second.

ctrain said: RightPatriot said: Opening the account isn't the problem. The problem comes when you want to add a second linked account.

BINGO !!
I had no problem openning the account.
Linking the first was painless because they use the trail deposits to verify.
The 2nd will be a pain though wanting cancelled checks, etc...
Needless to say, I never linked my second.

Thats what I thought too, but I mailed in the form and canceled check on Monday 12/29 and on Monday 1/5 the trial deposits were in my linked account. No problems. Obviously not the preferred method to link an account, but it wasn't a big deal.

The time it takes to link a 2nd account is highly variable. DSD will contact the other bank and request verification that the account you are trying to link is yours. If the bank responds to DSD quickly, then it will all happen in about a week. If the bank is slow to respond, this causes delays. If this is the case, there are other solutions that DSD will offer (when you call them) to complete the process. In one case they accepted an emailed copy of a bank statement as verification and initiated the trial deposits the same day.

If the process seems to be taking too long, just call DSD. In my case they were very helpful in getting it completed.

dan239 said: This is just for information to those interested. I opened an account with DSD recently and have noticed that when I push money into this account from Countrywide it is available the next day without any hold. However, If DSD pulls money from my checking account, which is with a different bank, it will show a 5 business day hold. This is not an issue with me but it seems strange.

Almost all banks work that way, and for a logical reason. Funds which are pushed in are considered collected at the time of the deposit because the debited bank has already verified the debited account can cover the deposit. But with a pull, they are actually only "expecting" to get the funds a few days later, and thus add an availability hold to allow sufficient time to make sure they don't get a "sorry, that account has insufficient funds" kind of response from the supplying institution. At least that's how I understand it.

EDIT: Oops, I somehow missed that this was already answered, much more succinctly. Sorry.

mapen said: noANANDforme said: Rate is still 4.00% APY, with new option for 16 month CD also at 4.00% APYI feel the rate drop coming....16 mo CD is down to 3.50%. How low will the savings account go.

just noticed the cd rate drop too. my guess is the rate for the savings will also drop to 3.5

That kind of sucks...I was about to close out Emigrant Direct and move it here...but with rate drop, not so sure.

So how do people get their money out of the account if they don't respond to ACH pulls?

hellyea81 said: So how do people get their money out of the account if they don't respond to ACH pulls?
With an ACH push.
Just log into the your account at the DSD web site by 5:00pm on a business day and schedule a push into your linked external account. The money will be there the next day.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014