• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Came acrosss this promo while checking my Citi credit card online...

Linkified for your viewing pleasure

Main Info
Enroll in Credit Protector and your first 500 ThankYou Points will appear on your billing statement very soon. You'll continue to receive an additional 500 ThankYou Points each month for the next 5 months as long as you remain enrolled - for a total of 3,000 points.*

Fine Print
*Upon approval, you will receive your first 500 ThankYou Points. ThankYou Points may take 2-3 billing cycles to appear on your credit card statement and will count toward any maximum points earned per calendar year as defined in your Citi Card Terms and Conditions. Your Citi Card account must remain open and not in default under any Card Agreement to qualify. One offer per Cardmember.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I put 3 more of my cards that I never use on this program--which ends June 30th. If I get the points great, if not, no ... (more)

Heffer (May. 16, 2009 @ 5:32p) |

The $50 promo expired on June 30, 2009. Any new citi credit protector promotion?

snowbound66 (Jul. 01, 2009 @ 11:23p) |

The TOS for the visa gift cards states that "limit 5 per year/card/person". Is that enforced? Has anyone got more than... (more)

tomprc (Aug. 23, 2009 @ 4:49p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

OMFGWTF said: "Credit Protector is yours for only 85 cents per $100 of your New Balance shown on your billing statement for each billing period."

So if I sign up for Credit Protector for a citi card that I don't use anymore, will I get 3000 thankyou points for free?

Terms and Conditions


In short, Yes. This is ideal for card accounts that are just sitting there inactive/unused.

-cp

This one is better IMHO:


$50 Visa Gift Card

I can't get the link to work, but I was offered $50 of Visa Gift cards for signing up for Credit Protector.

OMFGWTF said: umafuaba said: This one is better IMHO:

Fixed link


Yes, but there are two different offers to consider. OP's offer is - you sign up, don't do anything, and you get the thank you points.

the offer you did is you get 5 certificates in the mail, and each month you hvae to mail one in, and they send you a $10 gift card. I'm doing that one right now and am still waiting for first gift card.

Also note, with these types of programs, if you pay off your bill (to a zero balance) before your statement closes, there is no fee. It goes by your "NEW BALANCE" so if you zero that out before the statement closes, you wont get charged fee.

Just a warning for some. I have gotten billed lately by credit protector even with a zero statement balance. This is on 2 separate cards that just signed up. It seems they have something about average balance during the first month or two. The one charge didn't show for almost 2 months, but was back-dated when it appeared on my bill.

luvdeals said: Just a warning for some. I have gotten billed lately by credit protector even with a zero statement balance. This is on 2 separate cards that just signed up. It seems they have something about average balance during the first month or two. The one charge didn't show for almost 2 months, but was back-dated when it appeared on my bill.

Did they correct it? how did you address it?

thanks, I have one card from citi just sitting there doing nothing.

hellyea81 said: OMFGWTF said: umafuaba said: This one is better IMHO:

Fixed link


Yes, but there are two different offers to consider. OP's offer is - you sign up, don't do anything, and you get the thank you points.

the offer you did is you get 5 certificates in the mail, and each month you hvae to mail one in, and they send you a $10 gift card. I'm doing that one right now and am still waiting for first gift card.

Also note, with these types of programs, if you pay off your bill (to a zero balance) before your statement closes, there is no fee. It goes by your "NEW BALANCE" so if you zero that out before the statement closes, you wont get charged fee.


Also, they tend to offer the gift certificates when you try to call and cancel CP so you could possible take advantage of both.

Thanks OP!

umafuaba said: This one is better IMHO:


$50 Visa Gift Card

I can't get the link to work, but I was offered $50 of Visa Gift cards for signing up for Credit Protector.


i think you are talking abt the visa gift checks we need to send out in USPS and we will get the 50$ visa cards in terms of 10$...any update on that? did u get any yet...i keep checking on the website...http://www.helixglobalsolutions.com/exchange/

Let me know..

me too signed up today just now...will update this thread when my 1st 500 points show up
green to the OP

sfvera said: luvdeals said: Just a warning for some. I have gotten billed lately by credit protector even with a zero statement balance. This is on 2 separate cards that just signed up. It seems they have something about average balance during the first month or two. The one charge didn't show for almost 2 months, but was back-dated when it appeared on my bill.Did they correct it? how did you address it?I called about it the first time and the person got their supervisor. They said it was a mistake as there should be no charge for the first 30 days. (I don't think that's correct, but that's what they said.) They could not fix it, but gave me an address to send a letter to explain it shouldn't be there and get the money back. They also said it was a pro-rated amount. Looks like the new program summary says: "For the first billing period, the cost of Credit Protector is pro-rated from the Billing Date for Credit Protector to the end of the billing period." It was a small amount for me so I let it go, but could be larger for others.

Seems like you can get 3000 points / citi credit card

luvdeals said: Just a warning for some. I have gotten billed lately by credit protector even with a zero statement balance. This is on 2 separate cards that just signed up. It seems they have something about average balance during the first month or two. The one charge didn't show for almost 2 months, but was back-dated when it appeared on my bill.

Same thing happened to me on the picture frame promo. But it was such a tiny amount I didn't bother to hassle with getting it fixed. I thought I was golden because I paid off my balance down to exactly zero before the statement cut(made sure not to make any purchases in the 2-3 days before the statement cut either). But they still billed me that small amount.

After I canceled the service, they credited back the amount so I guess they caught their mistake on their own.

I have a MC with TYP but I use the card so it would incur fee for Credit Protector. I was thinking of getting another card that I wouldn't use after initial sign up bonus (pay the balance off) then apply for the Credit Protector. I don't have an active AE card and found the following card. My recent FICO was 745. I have mortgage & car. Is this a dumb idea?

Does the actual card have to be a TY points card? Or can you just be a member yourself and have it work?

Hang in there. It takes about 12 eeks but shows up on its own. I have already got 10 this year

YonlyME said: umafuaba said: This one is better IMHO:


$50 Visa Gift Card

I can't get the link to work, but I was offered $50 of Visa Gift cards for signing up for Credit Protector.


i think you are talking abt the visa gift checks we need to send out in USPS and we will get the 50$ visa cards in terms of 10$...any update on that? did u get any yet...i keep checking on the website...http://www.helixglobalsolutions.com/exchange/

Let me know..

needdealsnow said: Hang in there. It takes about 12 eeks but shows up on its own. I have already got 10 this year

YonlyME said: umafuaba said: This one is better IMHO:


$50 Visa Gift Card

I can't get the link to work, but I was offered $50 of Visa Gift cards for signing up for Credit Protector.


i think you are talking abt the visa gift checks we need to send out in USPS and we will get the 50$ visa cards in terms of 10$...any update on that? did u get any yet...i keep checking on the website...http://www.helixglobalsolutions.com/exchange/

Let me know..


by this, "It takes about 12 eeks but shows up on its own", did u mean on the website or for the $10.00 check to show up in the mailbox?

The hassle is fairly high on their 5 visa cards offer.

The forms have to be mailed in withiin speified months. If you get lots of credit card mail you may accidentally discoard the card contraining mail thinking it is junk. The cards need to be activated to be used (entering numbers twice on a web sites or making a phone call). You can save a little effort by copying them to a list and then pasting from there (especially useful if you then use the number to purchase items on line).

There is a pin for each card and if you just rip the card off the mailer, and discard the mailer, you may later find you have discoarded the pin number needed to use it. One suspects this was intended. There is a time limit on when the card must be used. Sopme places have trouble accepting two cards for purchases over $10 or want to charge more than $10 (gas pumps for instance). If used for small purchases, a small amount may be left on card that is hard to use. The system appears designed so some err and do not benefit.

One possible use is to pay utiiity or phone bills on line. Total typing is minimized from having a cut and paste (part or all of the number will have to be entered three times on different web sites even this way). Most will take a partial payment which can be the $10 (or smaller amount left on card). One can do that when the card is received, pin located, etc.

ProfessorEd said: The hassle is fairly high on their 5 visa cards offer.

The forms have to be mailed in withiin speified months. If you get lots of credit card mail you may accidentally discoard the card contraining mail thinking it is junk. The cards need to be activated to be used (entering numbers twice on a web sites or making a phone call). You can save a little effort by copying them to a list and then pasting from there (especially useful if you then use the number to purchase items on line).

There is a pin for each card and if you just rip the card off the mailer, and discard the mailer, you may later find you have discoarded the pin number needed to use it. One suspects this was intended. There is a time limit on when the card must be used. Sopme places have trouble accepting two cards for purchases over $10 or want to charge more than $10 (gas pumps for instance). If used for small purchases, a small amount may be left on card that is hard to use. The system appears designed so some err and do not benefit.

One possible use is to pay utiiity or phone bills on line. Total typing is minimized from having a cut and paste (part or all of the number will have to be entered three times on different web sites even this way). Most will take a partial payment which can be the $10 (or smaller amount left on card). One can do that when the card is received, pin located, etc.

I haven't been doing this for a while (took a break for a year or so), but I did do 10+ rounds of the $100 gas coupons, which every time I tried to cancel they would send me the 5x$10 gift card certs. Once I got them, I would call and cancel, since I knew I would sign up again for the $100 gas rebate. (They eventually caught on, after 5 $100 gas rebates on one card they told me to stop, but I only stopped on that card.

When I get the certificates, I print out 5 envelopes for them. I then seal them all up, and put a post it note on them for when to mail them. When the cards come, I qctivate them immeditally and buy an Amazon.com gift certificate (which then I apply to my account) or pay $10 towards a utility bill.

Its a bit of a process, but its been fairly profitable for me. I got well over $1000 out of them in 07.

Xeon852 said: ProfessorEd said: The hassle is fairly high on their 5 visa cards offer.




Its a bit of a process, but its been fairly profitable for me. I got well over $1000 out of them in 07.


Way to go ! ! !

True FWF spirit.

Sweet! I just called in to cancel CCP on 3 of my cards and got the 5x$10 GC retention offer on 2 of them. I shall enroll the 3rd in this offer after a few business days.

I signed up with a Citi Dividend card which has rewards dollars not TY pts. I was wondering how that would work so I called and the CSR told me the TY pts would get credited to my normal TY point account even though this card is not tied specifically to that TY point account. I'm not sure how they'll make the connection but we'll see what happens.

So if I have a card I don't use at all, I can make a free 3,000 points over the next 6 months?

I take it that at the end of the promo they will whack you with a subscription fee for automatic re-enrollment?

Do you need to make a call to quit the program?

catan,

Don't they just charge you based on the balance?

Not sure. So the fee-structure stays the same? That's great!

When I get the certificates, I print out 5 envelopes for them. I then seal them all up, and put a post it note on them for when to mail them. When the cards come, I qctivate them immeditally and buy an Amazon.com gift certificate (which then I apply to my account) or pay $10 towards a utility bill.

I do the envelope thing too. I also use the strategy about paying a bill online with them, but right now I only have one utility which I can easily make small online payments with, and that one I'm working on getting a bonus with AMEX for paying Sprint using auto pay. Great idea about buying Amazon gift cards.

Don't forget that citi is gettting tougher on shifting credit lines from one card to another so plan ahead which card and lines you put this on.

I got a letter stating that the Citi Professional card is not valid for credit protection...any one in a similar situation...

YonlyME said: I got a letter stating that the Citi Professional card is not valid for credit protection...any one in a similar situation...

Me.

me too. they could have said it, and save a mail

Credit Protector is awesome. I still have ~$20K on a 0% for life offer and we just had kids after signing up for Credit Protector 30 days free...called the day before my current statement was due and had them apply the minimum payment benefit. Statement cycled and a few days later they also credited me that monthly minimum payment. I just cancelled today...no monthly fees since it was 30 days free and they don't charge you a fee during the months you activate a benefit. Netted ~$600 bucks

Snyder81 said: Credit Protector is awesome. I still have ~$20K on a 0% for life offer and we just had kids after signing up for Credit Protector 30 days free...called the day before my current statement was due and had them apply the minimum payment benefit. Statement cycled and a few days later they also credited me that monthly minimum payment. I just cancelled today...no monthly fees since it was 30 days free and they don't charge you a fee during the months you activate a benefit. Netted ~$600 bucks

Interesting...

I thought they only waived your minimum payment, not actually paid it. Also, how did you manage to get 2 payments out of it before cancelling?

sethdallob said: Snyder81 said: Credit Protector is awesome. I still have ~$20K on a 0% for life offer and we just had kids after signing up for Credit Protector 30 days free...called the day before my current statement was due and had them apply the minimum payment benefit. Statement cycled and a few days later they also credited me that monthly minimum payment. I just cancelled today...no monthly fees since it was 30 days free and they don't charge you a fee during the months you activate a benefit. Netted ~$600 bucks

Interesting...

I thought they only waived your minimum payment, not actually paid it. Also, how did you manage to get 2 payments out of it before cancelling?


CP's monthly fees hit on your statement closing date (for example, the 5th of each month). So you enroll for 30 free days on the 25th and activate your benefit which either pays or defers a payment or two (depends on the event). I called two days before my previous statement was due and they applied the minimum payment credit, the statement cycled on the 5th showing a $0.00 CP monthly fee, and then a few days later they credited the next months minimum payment credit. After that was credited I called to cancel before the next statement closing date. Obviously the dates are just examples but they give an idea of how to execute. All in all I was subscribed just over 30 days - it would have been less had I noticed the second month's payment was credited a few days earlier.

Also, be careful of the "capped monthly fee" plans if you are planning to use it like this. They are typically limited to 1 month benefits instead of 2.

I signed up for Credit protector using this 3000 points link. and my statement date has passed. No statement generated since no activity on card.

I dont see my points being granted. Do I need to have some activity on card every month to have statement generated and get me Thank you points???

I've been active and my points have not posted yet either. Also, no one seems to acknowledge the promotion when I call. I'll keep you posted. Anyone successfully get the points?

positron said: I've been active and my points have not posted yet either. Also, no one seems to acknowledge the promotion when I call. I'll keep you posted. Anyone successfully get the points?
same here!

Anyone get their points?

Skipping 46 Messages...
The TOS for the visa gift cards states that "limit 5 per year/card/person". Is that enforced? Has anyone got more than $50 in a year for one credit card?



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014