• 1 234513
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This is the first I've heard of it but it looks like the Chase Freedom card is the next rewards card on the chopping block. Rewards are going from 3% down to 1% and they are changing their bonus rewards program to something like what Discover does (quarterly bonus categories).

Bummer, as this is the card I use most...

http://www.thecreditcarder.com/rip-chase-freedom-rewards-card/

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
My letter, which I confirmed in speaking to a CSR, was that my Chase Freedom Exclusives card was switching over to the n... (more)

ThePessimist (May. 15, 2010 @ 3:21p) |

Been watching this thread with interest. I have the Chase Freedom Plus (three percent on top six EDP categories, $250 f... (more)

SparkyX (May. 15, 2010 @ 11:05p) |

Like I've posted on the other thread, I got the same info from the CSR too about my Freedom Plus.

Note that I did get ~$7... (more)

ColonelHeero (May. 27, 2010 @ 8:03p) |

Ways to get Chase Freedom Non-Downgraded version:

1. Chase Freedom Plus, $30 annual fee (waived first year)
Get 3% in top 6 of 15 categories, no limit on rewards, redeem as little as $10
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?PID=CHFD4&SPID=C7J3&CELL=6DNY&CAT=0

2. Freedom Chase Exclusives, for Chase Checking Account holders
Get 3% in top 5 of 15 categories (top 3 categories without checking account), max $600 charges/mo eligible for 3%, all charges earn at least 1%
Must make at least 1 transaction (deposit/withdrawal/check) in checking account in four months
App with $50 bonus: https://app.firstusa.com/ICAppServlet/?PID=RTFD4&SPID=C5H7&CAT=0&CELL=6J43


Visa Signature Freedom
This Visa Signature app advertises the original Freedom program (3% in top 3 categories), but there are no recent reports of anyone successfully using it (as of 4/1/09)
App with $50 bonus: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?SPID=C2DN

Mailer Status
Add your card status below. Feel Free to add more parameters as necessary. Also, I haven't looked up how to do table formatting.

open question - does having a chase/wamu account have any bearing?

Card (Date) - Chase Relationship - Mailer Received? (Date)
Freedom (June 08) - Wamu Checking - No (5/28)
Freedom (May 08) - Wamu Checking - Yes (Sep 08)
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

wow, good that I didn't convert my cash plus card...it will be interesting to see which card lasts longer.

Any confirmation from chase if they will be downgrading current customers...

I haven't gotten anything...yet. But I've found in the past that they usually send a letter in the mail within six months to a year of downgrading/getting rid of a card informing you of the 'exciting new changes' to your card/account.

Guess ill have to go back to my citi professional card if its true


This is terrible news, hopefully existing customers get locked in. Else going to be looking for a new card.

TenYearsGone: It looks like Chase is right in the middle of the switchover and that's why both offers are available at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised if the old Chase Freedom application disappears soon though!

mag72 said: TenYearsGone: It looks like Chase is right in the middle of the switchover and that's why both offers are available at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised if the old Chase Freedom application disappears soon though! definitely

and I was about to switch to Chase Freedom Plus, so far the chase website doesn't show its rewards as 'butchered' yet

Damn shame. Is it that they are not making enough on the higher APRs they charge for Freedom? Then again, since I pay it off in full, it has never been an issue for me. Prob. the same for most FWers. But, I mean, come on.

Gotta pay for that WaMu purchase somehow.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but a few weeks ago I got a letter in the mail about my Freedom Business card, basically outlining some of its benefits. I believe the letter said something about getting a $1000 check after you've accrued $900 in rewards, which is signifantly worse than the $250 check for $200 that they currently offer. I don't think I've seen anything backing that up on their rewards redemption site for now, but maybe they're getting rid of the $250 for $200 bonus too.

Who wouldn't expect this coming?

This is what mergers do after gobbling up competitors. Higher fees, higher rates, lower rewards.

Economics 101...

Hmmm, well I was planning to switch back to AMEX anyways. It just takes too long to accumulate $200 Cash Back. I am close to reaping the $50 reward though so the timing of the downgrade would be perfect.

Is there a Chase card type worth switching to once this change is made to the Freedom card? I'm about to get my first $250 CashBack check and then plan to stop using the card.

qcumber: glad it's working out great for you! haha

lurker: I was wondering the same thing. The only card I can find that kind of resembles the Freedom card is the Chase Business Rebates card (listed at the bottom here) with 3% Cash Back on gas, office supplies, remodeling stores, hardware stores, and restaurants. 1% on everything else.

Wouldn't be surprised if they soon did away with that card as well though...

http://www.chaseinformation.com/freedomplus/?cell=6h8x&MSC=&AFFID=yLvEEQQAcjs-KJ2_cO0Q08SWbWTPvHd_WQ


10000 bonus miles can transfer to points or cash
Chase Freedom PlusSM Credit Card Features:
Earn 3 miles per dollar in the 6 bonus categories you spend the most each month
Earn 1 mile on all other purchases
Annual Program Fee is Waived for first year -- that's a $30 value!
No Rewards Expiration and Unlimited Earning


This looks to be a better card for you heavy hitters

Yah, it would be if I didn't have to pay the $30 annual fee. Some may not mind but I avoid those cards like the plague (except when I get a free first year AND a nice bonus for signing up...like a free plane ticket or something...and even then I cancel before the initial year is up to avoid the annual fee).

leedsutd67 said: http://www.chaseinformation.com/freedomplus/?cell=6h8x&MSC=&AFFID=yLvEEQQAcjs-KJ2_cO0Q08SWbWTPvHd_WQ


10000 bonus miles can transfer to points or cash
Chase Freedom PlusSM Credit Card Features:
Earn 3 miles per dollar in the 6 bonus categories you spend the most each month
Earn 1 mile on all other purchases
Annual Program Fee is Waived for first year -- that's a $30 value!
No Rewards Expiration and Unlimited Earning


This looks to be a better card for you heavy hitters


I read the fineprint but it's a bit ambiguous:

Purchases not eligible to receive the 2 bonus miles include, but are not limited to, purchases made at superstores, warehouse clubs, and discount stores. Online and catalog purchases are not eligible to receive the bonus miles unless the merchants have correctly identified and billed the transactions. We do not determine whether merchants correctly identify and bill transactions as being made in each particular category. However, we do reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for the 2 bonus miles.

How will you know exactly if you will earn 3 points or 1 point? I spend a lot of money on buying supplies/inventory for my business and this can easily exceed $20,000/mo. Some suppliers are manufacturers of material and I can't seem to place them in any specific category. Is Home Depot and Lowes considered to be "superstores"? What's considered a "discount" store?

Whoa, that's bad news! I've still got a Chase Rewards Plus card that hasn't been converted over from the 5% grocery/drugs/gas yet (although I hit the max rebate amount back in October, and I didn't realize it, so I lost some there). I've also got a Perfect card that I never use anymore. It's possible that I'll end up cancelling ALL my Chase cards.

Edit
It's ironic that both of the possible alternatives listed in the OP's link are AMEX cards (I already have the SimplyCash card). AMEX cards used to be pretty worthless AFAIK; now some at least are competitive in terms of reward structure.

I hope it will wait until I accumulate enough for the 250 reward...

nkling said: I hope it will wait until I accumulate enough for the 250 reward...

Same here! Only $40 more to go

Ugh, this is my primary card for groceries and drug stores purchases. I've shifted gas to my AMEX Costco Business Card getting 5%. I use Citi MtvU Visa for 5 points per dollar on restaurants and Amazon (classed as a bookstore) purchases. Need to look for a replacement...

Great another thread for our favorite person to fear monger in by telling us his CSR told him everyone will be converted by X date and those dates will come and go just like they did on the other Chase cards without everyone being converted.

dolmar said: Great another thread for our favorite person to fear monger in by telling us his CSR told him everyone will be converted by X date and those dates will come and go just like they did on the other Chase cards without everyone being converted.It's true that the only thing I've seen in this thread so far seems to be hearsay. I don't think anybody has personally been downgraded yet, right? Maybe it won't go down like the rumor. On the other hand, the Chase Reward Plus discontinuation news started out as a rumor, too. One thing is not necessarily a proof of the other, though.

Wow, the "new" Freedom looks to be a pretty poor card. Not *horrible*, because it's still at least 1% CashBack, and a user might accidentally get 3% back in a revolving bonus category. But even Discover does 5% back in their bonus categories).

I wonder how narrow the new categories will be? Probably stuff like "cobblers, haberdashers, and chimney sweeps".

mag72 said: Yah, it would be if I didn't have to pay the $30 annual fee. Some may not mind but I avoid those cards like the plague (except when I get a free first year AND a nice bonus for signing up...like a free plane ticket or something...and even then I cancel before the initial year is up to avoid the annual fee).

When I click "apply", it show annual fee is "none".

Hanging on for dear life to my Associated 5% Grocery card. Can't be long now tsk.

TYTBUDGET

Here's what I use: AMEX Blue for just about everything (1.5% back)
Chase Freedom Plus or Citi Professional - Restaurants only
Amazon Chase Platinum Plus - Amazon orders only (3 points per dollar)

Have others, just really do not use them...

yeah, the new card definitely a lot worse. i called them this morning: the new card started on the 4th, and Freedom Plus is not changing. they said my card is still under the old rewards structure.

i'm curious as to why they haven't fully converted those Rewards Plus cards from 2+ years ago. it makes me wonder what their transition process is. i wouldn't be surprised the conversion is an AA.

I have this upgraded card and it works out well--no caps on rewards, etc. CSR explained however, that this card does not benefit at all from using the Chase Rewards Plus+ online mall.

leedsutd67 said: http://www.chaseinformation.com/freedomplus/?cell=6h8x&MSC=&AFFID=yLvEEQQAcjs-KJ2_cO0Q08SWbWTPvHd_WQ

...

This looks to be a better card for you heavy hitters

mathman6 said: yeah, the new card definitely a lot worse. i called them this morning: the new card started on the 4th, and Freedom Plus is not changing. they said my card is still under the old rewards structure.

i'm curious as to why they haven't fully converted those Rewards Plus cards from 2+ years ago. it makes me wonder what their transition process is. i wouldn't be surprised the conversion is an AA.
hmmm... that's good to hear

any good replacements? I just got the $250 check, so I'm back to the beginning. I had the 6% Citi card for 3 mos, which was awesome (got like $300 bucks off that bad boy)... any other good ones out there currently to exploit? Even temporary bonus rewards are good.

the thing is that while new Freedom Cards are being downgraded, it doesn't mean those who are already holding the card will be downgraded that quickly...if you observe how slow they have been about reducing the Cash Plus and Rewards Plus customers from the 5% to 3%, you would know that Chase is "turtle slow" when it comes to these kind of changes....While certain "persons" here think i am going to give predictions on when this could happen to you (a deadline) i wouldn't even begin to imagine.....

My "sense" of this is that Chase's ultimate goal is to reduce all their cards to the standard 1% rewards, however with the way Chase operates, it could take several years before everyone is changed over....So, i don't think there is any rush to be looking for a "replacement card".....

Bah!

Chase Freedom has been my favorite card given my small purchasing needs. I redeemed my first $100 2 months ago.

I currently have $32 in rewards and wonder how long it will now take to charge another $600 to get that $50?

Baaaaaah!

I will wait until I hear from the company that I'm being downgraded. It is a great card, other than their frustrating inability to report a high balance or credit limit to the bureaus in my case, so I hope they leave it alone.

leedsutd67 said:http://www.chaseinformation.com/freedomplus/?cell=6h8x&MSC=&AFFID=yLvEEQQAcjs-KJ2_cO0Q08SWbWTPvHd_WQ 10000 bonus miles can transfer to points or cash Chase Freedom PlusSM Credit Card Features: Earn 3 miles per dollar in the 6 bonus categories you spend the most each month Earn 1 mile on all other purchases Annual Program Fee is Waived for first year -- that's a $30 value! No Rewards Expiration and Unlimited Earning This looks to be a better card for you heavy hitters I read the fineprint but it's a bit ambiguous: Purchases not eligible to receive the 2 bonus miles include, but are not limited to, purchases made at superstores, warehouse clubs, and discount stores. Online and catalog purchases are not eligible to receive the bonus miles unless the merchants have correctly identified and billed the transactions. We do not determine whether merchants correctly identify and bill transactions as being made in each particular category. However, we do reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for the 2 bonus miles. How will you know exactly if you will earn 3 points or 1 point? I spend a lot of money on buying supplies/inventory for my business and this can easily exceed $20,000/mo. Some suppliers are manufacturers of material and I can't seem to place them in any specific category. Is Home Depot and Lowes considered to be "superstores"? What's considered a "discount" store?

Yes, that is pretty normal as far as category-based rewards cards go. It's tough to find one that rewards you at all of the stores that you SHOULD be rewarded at.

irobot said: Whoa, that's bad news! I've still got a Chase Rewards Plus card that hasn't been converted over from the 5% grocery/drugs/gas yet (although I hit the max rebate amount back in October, and I didn't realize it, so I lost some there). I've also got a Perfect card that I never use anymore. It's possible that I'll end up cancelling ALL my Chase cards.

Edit
It's ironic that both of the possible alternatives listed in the OP's link are AMEX cards (I already have the SimplyCash card). AMEX cards used to be pretty worthless AFAIK; now some at least are competitive in terms of reward structure.


My Chase Rewards Plus card was downgraded to 3%/1% at the end of October. I received a letter in the mail around August or so informing me of the changes. I would call Chase and check on the status of your rewards if I were you!

cfeifei said: mag72 said: Yah, it would be if I didn't have to pay the $30 annual fee. Some may not mind but I avoid those cards like the plague (except when I get a free first year AND a nice bonus for signing up...like a free plane ticket or something...and even then I cancel before the initial year is up to avoid the annual fee).

When I click "apply", it show annual fee is "none".


It says $30 annual fee for me, waived for the first year...

Skipping 473 Messages...
Like I've posted on the other thread, I got the same info from the CSR too about my Freedom Plus.

Note that I did get ~$7 "Other Bonus Rewards" in my 2/4/2010 statement, possibly from Oct-Dec rotation. The "discount store" and "computer/electronic store" back then was kind of confusing and I have not been able to match the rewards with my transactions.

Anyway, I am keeping my fingers crossed since we have made some quite a bit purchasse fomr Home Depot, Lowe's, etc since April....



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014