• Text Only

statement
Disclaimer
craig10x said: supposedly is being shut down for everyone..but not by Oct 31st for everyone..... Is this confirmed? I looked on the previous two pages and didn't see where this was confirmed.

My statement says I'm still earning 3 on 3 blah blah.

any one getting errored out when trying to redeem? my statement closed yesterday and trying to cash out today. i am supposed to be converted 10/31, so at least i'll have another day to try to cash out.

max210...it's supposed to be affect everyone with the Freedom Card, but not everyone by the Oct 31st date....so you may still "roll with it" for awhile....

I'm guessing the change occurs when your next statement after oct 30 closes?

I'm thinking a end of month due date is better than the current cutoff of about a week after the new month starts.

I kind of wish they would just clearly tell everyone when and what is going to happen to everyone's account. I'm afraid that they might convert mine to the one with the annual fee and I won't notice until it hits, since my registered address with Chase is not the place I'm currently staying.

For me, it's still the same 3% for the top 3 everyday categories. Probably won't run up to the $200 break point (am at about $100 now) so may cash out if they decide to make the change. I've been reading this thread and the other thread about Chase conversion for Cash Plus Rewards for some time and nothing has happened - other than they downgraded my Cash Plus Rewards from 5% to 3% on the gas and groceries categories.

You guys have nothing to worry about. When your account gets converted, they'll send you a letter with at least six weeks notice. And if you end up getting converted to a card with a $30 annual fee, that annual fee will be waived for the first year, meaning it won't hit until a year and six weeks from the time you get the letter. You can also request electronic copies of all correspondence.

I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread. I just hit the $50 cash out mark so I cashed that out this morning. I'm off to look for a better card. Maybe Citi? Anyone have a better rewards card they use?

I've been using Chase Freedom as my primary card for almost two years (approx. $34K in spending over the last 20-21 months) and I've switched. Chase has lost my business because of their downgrade.

Most people here will tell you PenFed or Schwab, which are both good, but one requires membership in a credit union and likely an intrusive application process, and the other requires a Schwab brokerage account.

Personally, I've had the Capital One no hassles cash reward card (2% on gas and groceries, 1% on everything else, 0% APR on purchases for 12 months, no annual fee, cash out your rewards balance at any time) since mid-september and I'm very happy with it. I like the customized picture of my pets that they printed on the face of the card, so that was a factor for me as well. I applied for it in early September, and it was approved quickly and it's now my highest credit line.

Just got the letter. Adios Chase.

goog40 said: I don't know if it's been mentioned, but a few weeks ago I got a letter in the mail about my Freedom Business card, basically outlining some of its benefits. I believe the letter said something about getting a $1000 check after you've accrued $900 in rewards, which is signifantly worse than the $250 check for $200 that they currently offer. I don't think I've seen anything backing that up on their rewards redemption site for now, but maybe they're getting rid of the $250 for $200 bonus too.

Yes, they have gotton rid of $250 for $200 bonus offer. I called chase and they said they have different rewards system now..only get $200 for $200 rewards.. i will not be using CHASE freedom anymore..

double post, sorry

still there...
Disclaimer
Ultideals said: Yes, they have gotton rid of $250 for $200 bonus offer. I called chase and they said they have different rewards system now..only get $200 for $200 rewards.. i will not be using CHASE freedom anymore..

Thanks for posting that picture. Now I know I'm not insane. For some reason, before my regular Chase Freedom rewards (same as the one pictured) got converted to Ultimate Rewards, I somehow got the impression that a statement credit in the same exact amount as a specific previous charge had to be for $150 or more. Now I know where I got that idea from. With Ultimate Rewards, the minimum is only $25.

I'm still getting 3% on 3... I'll still use it until it goes away...

max210 said: Ultideals said: Yes, they have gotton rid of $250 for $200 bonus offer. I called chase and they said they have different rewards system now..only get $200 for $200 rewards.. i will not be using CHASE freedom anymore..

Very sneaky of Chase - it's still there, but you can't avail it. There is not "Add to cart" option for $200=>$250.

Shaksdeals said: Very sneaky of Chase - it's still there, but you can't avail it. There is not "Add to cart" option for $200=>$250.
The "Add to Cart" button is not there because this particular cardholder only has $27.32 in accumulated rewards right now. The $50 and $100 statement credit options don't have the "Add to Card" button either.

Screwed by Chase ... Thought I was in the clear but just as I reached the $200 rewards and was ready to cash out for $250, I look at my new statement today and see I have been 'converted' to Chase Sapphire without consent or even notification. Anyone had success in getting around this and getting them to switch it back?

Did you not receive a letter notifying you of the "upgrade" to Sapphire? You are entitled to know about any changes to your account in advance. If you did not get a letter and you can get a CSR to admit they never sent one, that will give you leverage to convince them to honor the $200/250 rebate, but it would technically be nothing more than a one-time courtesy, so YMMV.

So my rewards link on the Chase website changed to Ultimate Rewards. No letter, no nothing, just that I can no longer click to get where I used to be able to "order" the $250 checks, and instead I get to some dollars point shopping area with a few cash options. The most recent statement still told me that I am earning 3% on three fixed categories. Maybe they upgraded me only on the redemption side.

Pondus said: So my rewards link on the Chase website changed to Ultimate Rewards. No letter, no nothing, just that I can no longer click to get where I used to be able to "order" the $250 checks, and instead I get to some dollars point shopping area with a few cash options. The most recent statement still told me that I am earning 3% on three fixed categories. Maybe they upgraded me only on the redemption side.

A couple of days ago, the $250 check was still available. Today, I too get the new Ultimate Rewards site. None of the choices I saw beat $0.01/point, so I cashed out nearly all my points using the reward myself option, and I'll be shopping around for a replacement card.

My account still shows the old Chase Freedom reward system. It's an Exclusives Freedom issued in June. For all the people being silently converted to UR, I'm curious how old your cards are.

Pondus said: So my rewards link on the Chase website changed to Ultimate Rewards. No letter, no nothing, just that I can no longer click to get where I used to be able to "order" the $250 checks, and instead I get to some dollars point shopping area with a few cash options. The most recent statement still told me that I am earning 3% on three fixed categories. Maybe they upgraded me only on the redemption side.
That's entirely possible. It doesn't make sense that you didn't get a letter, but other than that, what you describe is exactly what happened to my account in July. I too can no longer click to get to the webpage where I ordered the $250 check and I get redirected to the Ultimate Rewards page where I'm given points, and each point is worth a penny. I'm still getting 3% on groceries, gas, and fast food (or I would be if I didn't stop using the card, lol) and the new $30 annual fee will be waived for the first year. If I were you, I'd call them and ask if there's going to be a new annual fee assessed on your account and when. As of this week, my balance is just under $50 in an amount that will exactly match (after my current billing cycle ends) my total accumulated rewards down to the last penny. I'm going to use the "pay yourself back" feature of the Ultimate Rewards program to pay off the balance. Then sometime before the $30 fee gets charged sometime in June or July, I'm going to call them and convert the card to one without an annual fee.

ThePessimist said: My account still shows the old Chase Freedom reward system. It's an Exclusives Freedom issued in June. For all the people being silently converted to UR, I'm curious how old your cards are.
My card was originally a different Chase product since 2001. I called in either December 2007 or January 2008 to have it converted to a Freedom World Mastercard, and I used it as my primary card for well over a year. In May or June 2009 I received a letter stating that my account would be converted "no later than" July 31 (which is just about halfway through my billing cycle) to Ultimate Rewards with the terms I described above.

ThePessimist said: My account still shows the old Chase Freedom reward system. It's an Exclusives Freedom issued in June. For all the people being silently converted to UR, I'm curious how old your cards are.
Mine dates to 2006. I opened Chase checking three months ago for the reward. If I get nowhere with the CSRs on this so called upgrade, the checking will be enhanced by closing as soon as I can do it, Chase.

Chase downgraded my card to earn only 1% now.

Anyone able to get CHase to change their card back to get 3% in top 3 Cats?

Fxxk them, they converted my card from Freedom Exclusive to Ultimate Reward even after I called them up and opted out.

Have you tried calling them to switch back?

UltimateTraveler said: Fxxk them, they converted my card from Freedom Exclusive to Ultimate Reward even after I called them up and opted out.

Whats the difference between the Cash Back and Ultimate rewards? I have ultimate rewards and i can use it to get checks back..Is it because its harder to get money back with ultimate rewards compared to Cash Back?

th79, ya, I'm gonna to.

nasshea,

Not exactly sure, but ultimate rewards seem to be less than the other.
For example, if you get 3% on $1000 for the type of service used most frequent, you'll get $30 CashBack.
In ultimate reward (plus you have to have a chase checking account), 1 point/$1 + 10% extra points on every purchase dollar you spend + 10 bonus points every time you use your card for a purchase.
That would make $1000 spending total points of 1000+0.1(1000)+10(x, times of purchases)=1100+10x. In exchange for cash, it would be $11+$10x/100.
So, for an equivalent of $30 CashBack, ultimate reward has to have that $1000 spent on at least 190 occasions.
That seems unrealistic.

Chase changed my Freedom card to there new Sapphire card (without my asking)

After getting a letter about the Sapphire conversion, I called, opted out, and was assured that my rewards will not change, and they did not: 3% in 3 top categories and 200->250 redemption is still listed.

fwall, I did the same thing a month ago. And guess what happened...

Ultimate Traveler and fwall, at least you got a letter. I am still "waiting" for it.

UltimateTraveler said: fwall, I did the same thing a month ago. And guess what happened...
Sorry about that... Looks like Chase is confused. Perhaps they wanted to eliminate the Freedom card but were surprised by the high defection rate and are having second thoughts. I'd rather cancel the card then switch to Sapphire because I have better options.

Try sending them a message with your concerns it may pay off for you especially if you are close to $200

Ok this is BS now they converted my card to Ultimate Rewards and I no longer see the $250 check option.

Might be ditching Chase Freedom for Schwab Visa if they can't un-"upgrade" my account.

I called up Chase and an indian told me that I can't un-convert my account. She then tried to up-sell me on identity theft protection and I had to hang up on her. I'll monitor these rewards for a couple months but if they don't net out to at least 2% overall I'm going with Schwab.

On the 1c charge idea for 10 points is there any way to do a bunch of penny charges from a service like Paypal?

I know of some people including myself messaged Chase from within my account who Chase stepped up for and credited them extra CashBack for the inconvenience who were close to $200. YMMV

Called, it didn't work, no convert back. They gonna pay dearly if they cannot keep the customers happy.

The people who actually take advantage of the CashBack stuff are probably not very profitable customers anyway.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014