• Text Only
Has anyone had their Chase Freedom mysteriously morph into a Chase Saffire card? I just got my statement for my Freedom credit card number and it says Saffire.

MisterMe said: Has anyone had their Chase Freedom mysteriously morph into a Chase Saffire card? I just got my statement for my Freedom credit card number and it says Saffire.
Many people (myself included) got letters from Chase advising that their Freedom cards are being "upgraded" to Sapphire, in many cases at the end of October. It was possible to opt-out of the upgrade by calling Chase by a deadline a few weeks before the conversion date. I did so successfully. There are reports on this board of people being switched without getting the letter or people opting out and still being "upgraded." I have not heard anybody succeed in going back to Freedom once "upgraded."

LeveragedSpeculator said: ...an indian told me...

this is important and relevant

AFAIK, my Chase is still the same Freedom card. No letter, nothing from them. I just cashed out another $250 check for $200 a little over 1 hour ago and still have top 5 with 3% and all the good stuffs.

As long as Chase is doing what they are doing, I will keep this Freedom card as my main CC.

Is the Sapphire card that bad or is the Cash Back program just better than the current sapphire rewards program? I ask this cause I am currently waiting for my Chase Freedom card in the mail, however I just got a letter from Chase saying I am preapproved for the Sapphire card.

rage3324 said: Is the Sapphire card that bad or is the Cash Back program just better than the current sapphire rewards program? I ask this cause I am currently waiting for my Chase Freedom card in the mail, however I just got a letter from Chase saying I am preapproved for the Sapphire card.

I haven't looked in detail at the card, but it looks like it's 1 point/dollar spent, with a cash value of $0.01/point. This is if you get CashBack; I haven't looked at the value of the other rewards, but it's probably not tons better. In other words, it's roughly a flat 1% CashBack with 2% if you book travel through Chase's site. On the other hand, the Freedom card was 3%/1% on EDP/misc, and it's an effective 3.75%/1.25% if you get to the $200 mark. Take into consideration also, that for some FWFers, EDP makes up a good percentage of their overall spending, which could bring their effective overall CashBack > 2.5%. If you're going to get a Sapphire, you're probably better off getting the Fidelity 1.5% or Schwab 2% cards.

Makes sense.. I am interested in seeing if I can claim my $100 for the Freedom card, call Chase upgrade to Sapphire and get my 10,000 points ($100 )and transfer my 0% into APR from freedom to sapphire. Now I have will have $200 off a laptop, but then I will be stuck with a sapphire rewards card

This just happened to me. I am so pissed off. They claim they sent me a letter, which I never received. And as far as I can see they have removed all of their cards. No more chase freedom or anything else to apply for. The links in the OP don't work. So shady. I was just about to open a checking account with them. Well forget that. The obnoxious part is even if I find another card that is almost as good as the Chase Freedom, I still have to leave this card open if I want to keep all the good credit I built with it. With all the reform going on with Credit Card companies, I am disappointed they would pull such a shady tactic.

max210 said: LeveragedSpeculator said: ...an indian told me...

Chase outsources jobs to chicken vindaloo eating countries such as INDIA. Yes it is important to me. I don't like doing business with companies that employ chicken vindaloo eating persons with poor English skills.

LeveragedSpeculator said: Chase outsources jobs to chicken vindaloo eating countries such as INDIA. Yes it is important to me. I don't like doing business with companies that employ chicken vindaloo eating persons with poor English skills.
Oh joy, I'm not the only vegan on FWF anymore! Hooray!

This movie about outsourcing was funny. http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Outsourced/70068703

LeveragedSpeculator said: max210 said: LeveragedSpeculator said: ...an indian told me...

Chase outsources jobs to chicken vindaloo eating countries such as INDIA. Yes it is important to me. I don't like doing business with companies that employ chicken vindaloo eating persons with poor English skills.
have you ever watched the English comedy series Red Dwarf? chicken vindaloo is a recurring plot theme throughout the series.

FYI: I have the Freedom card now. I have received mailers for the past few months for the Chase Freedom offering 3%, sometimes it even comes up as an advert when I browse around The Internets.

not important or relevant to the topic.

max210 said: FYI: I have the Freedom card now. I have received mailers for the past few months for the Chase Freedom offering 3%, sometimes it even comes up as an advert when I browse around The Internets.I saw an ad online for 3%, but it was only for a few categories, and you had to sign up; I think this was the new rotating thing, similar to Discover.

My statement ending 18 Nov still shows my card as a Chase Freedom with 3% for gas, groceries and fast food. $30 in rewards shy of my next $250 check...

My son just received his new Chase Freedom card and they are still promising him 3% on certain categories. The $250 credit for $200 is still available as well. He does not use it because he has 2% for three months on a Citi Cash Returns card, but I may help him develop a plan to use both cards for maximum rewards.

Data point: just received a new Freedom card (gray instead of the original blue) with a new expiration date. Accompanying brochure said 3% back on the top 5 monthly categories. Still see the $250 check for $200 offer online.

Data point:

My personal Chase Freedom has been converted to "ultimate rewards" card. No notice in the mail. Just logged into my account online and saw that I no longer have a freedom card.

Looked up what the bonuses were: basically 1% back. This is crap. I already had the points necessary to turn $200 into $250. Choice isn't there anymore. What utter bullshit.

On a side note, my BUSINESS Chase Freedom is still a Chase Freedom.

You should try to transfer your rewards points to your business freedom card and get the $250 check ASAP.

I was automatically converted with no agreement from me. I got the Sapphire cards in the mail, and the next day, my statement said it had been converted. I never go 250 for 200 -- only cashed out once, last April, for 300. I complained -- I had never recieved any invitation to upgrade as other have with bonus points,they just did it. And now, they won't let me cash out my 20,600 pts -- the top check you can get is 175. Screw 'em.

Why are they still advertising the Freedom on their website if the plan is to have everyone converted?

bait and switch

Dazarath said: Why are they still advertising the Freedom on their website if the plan is to have everyone converted?The info I see now on their website is for the new type of Freedom card that has rotating categories for the 3%, not the old Freedom card.

LeveragedSpeculator said: Chase outsources jobs to chicken vindaloo eating countries such as INDIA. Yes it is important to me. I don't like doing business with companies that employ chicken vindaloo eating persons with poor English skills.
If it makes you feel better about Chase, I highly doubt that there are very many chicken vindaloo-eating people working there. If there are, most of them are probably in London, where vindaloo is very popular.

In India, Goa is the only state where vindaloo is popular. Goa has almost no foreign call center industry, so I doubt any calls to Chase get routed there. The same will be true for most American and multinational corporations. I hope you feel better knowing that you can call almost any company and rest comfortably knowing that the person you reach will, most probably, not be someone who regularly eats chicken vindaloo.

So my Freedom, which used to be the 3% on 3 fixed EDP categories kind, is now Ultimately Rewarding, and as I recently found out also ineligible for the somewhat better Exclusives, despite my having a Chase checking account (not for much longer). I used to spend $2,500/month on this card, of which maybe $500/month was in the 3% categories. With the lousy 1%-with-obstacles program Chase put me on, I have converted this card to my version of Ultimate Rewards for Chase as well. Will cancel on-line only statements and will be conducting brief excursions from the sock drawer to find out how little monthly spending is needed to have the payment forgiven.

Ok, so I was recently downgraded to Chase Saphire. After several tries, I was able to convert my card back to Freedom... Not the one I used to have, but the new one. With this new Freedom card, they have quarterly promotions to get 3% for which you have to sign up.

The enrollment page said:

Thanks for signing up."Earn 3% Cash Back for every eligible dollar you spend above $1,500 on discount store, computer/electronics store and bookstore purchases between October 1st and December 31st."..

I thought this was 3% no strings attached. Their Freedom page doesn't say anything about $1,500.

Is this another catch from Chase???

notfound123 said: Ok, so I was recently downgraded to Chase Saphire. After several tries, I was able to convert my card back to Freedom... Not the one I used to have, but the new one. With this new Freedom card, they have quarterly promotions to get 3% for which you have to sign up.

The enrollment page said:

Thanks for signing up."Earn 3% Cash Back for every eligible dollar you spend above $1,500 on discount store, computer/electronics store and bookstore purchases between October 1st and December 31st."..

I thought this was 3% no strings attached. Their Freedom page doesn't say anything about $1,500.

Is this another catch from Chase???

Not really much of a catch. They don't even seem to be interested in hiding their bait-and-switch tricks. Last time I bothered reading the fine print of one of these "offers", there also was a maximum on the spending above the hurdle that earns the bonus, so that the best you could effectively earn was 2% if you spent exactly the right amount.

So my new Chase Freedom rewards structure with a Chase checking account is: "Chase Freedom gives you one reward point for every dollar you spend. There's no limit on the amount of points you can earn and your points never expire.

As a Chase Checking customer, you get even more exclusive benefits.

* Earn 10% extra points on every $1 you spend
* Plus 10 bonus points on every purchase"

The wording seems somewhat confusing to me... So does this mean that if I spend $130, my points will be 130 + 13 (10% of 130) + 10 (purchase points) = 153? Or would it be 130 + 130 + 10 = 270? Any thoughts?

penguinknot said: So my new Chase Freedom rewards structure with a Chase checking account is: "Chase Freedom gives you one reward point for every dollar you spend. There's no limit on the amount of points you can earn and your points never expire.

The wording seems somewhat confusing to me... So does this mean that if I spend $130, my points will be 130 + 13 (10% of 130) + 10 (purchase points) = 153? Or would it be 130 + 130 + 10 = 270? Any thoughts?

Based on what you wrote it would be the first one: 130 + 13 (10% of 130) + 10 (purchase points) = 153

or you can pay $85/yr. to get the "Sapphire Preferred" and get a whopping 7% annual bonus on your points accumulated during any particular calendar year.

Those of you with the Exclusives version of the Freedom, did you get it for an existing Freedom account, or did you open a new CC? Just trying to see what makes me ineligible. I would not mind having a CC for miscellaneous small purchases instead of just dumping it in the drawer.

Mt Exclusives was once a Freedom. I opened a checking account and after much effort (many E-mails), one of 4 cards that qualify was finally given the promised 3% on 5 categories. I am not happy they still have not given the upgrades that was the reason I opened the checking account, perhaps 6 months ago.

penguinknot said: So my new Chase Freedom rewards structure with a Chase checking account is: "Chase Freedom gives you one reward point for every dollar you spend. There's no limit on the amount of points you can earn and your points never expire.

Based on what you wrote, 153.

Note, however, that your reward increase as your purchases get smaller.

So, if, for example, you bought $130 in $1 purchases, you'd get 130 (1 point/dollar) + 130*10 (10 points per purchase)= 1430 points. In $5 purchases (26 purchases), it'd be (26*5)*1.1 (143 points, including the bonus 10%) + 26*10 (10 points per purchase)= 403 points. And, as you've pointed out, at one purchase of $130, you're at 153 points.

ProfessorEd said: Mt Exclusives was once a Freedom. I opened a checking account and after much effort (many E-mails), one of 4 cards that qualify was finally given the promised 3% on 5 categories. I am not happy they still have not given the upgrades that was the reason I opened the checking account, perhaps 6 months ago.
If there was a bonus given for opening the checking account 6 months ago, then the account should now be eligible for closure without a loss of bonus. Since opening my checking in June, all I got was the ultimate rewards downgrade. I am losing patience with Chase, but I do not want to give their weasels an excuse to debit the checking account opening bonus on account closure. Does "must remain open for six months" mean from the date of opening, the date of first direct deposit, or the date of bonus?

10 points = 1 penny reward?

andyg01 said: 10 points = 1 penny reward?

No; 1 point = 1 penny. They're trying to incentivize you to make smaller purchases, since the intercharge fee structure is such that Chase gets more money (as a percentage of the purchase) for a $1 transaction than for a $100 transaction.

My first full month of 10/10/10:

- 55 purchases, almost all of them under $8, and a couple when they didn't take AMEX
- $286
- 55*10+286+29 = 865 points
- 3.02% return

For somebody like me who is buying McCoffee, paying for parking at client sites, etc, I'm still getting a good return if I'm careful regarding the transactions on which I use the card.

clemente21 said: My first full month of 10/10/10:

- 55 purchases, almost all of them under $8, and a couple when they didn't take AMEX
- $286
- 55*10+286+29 = 865 points
- 3.02% return

For somebody like me who is buying McCoffee, paying for parking at client sites, etc, I'm still getting a good return if I'm careful regarding the transactions on which I use the card.

I'm curious how many points would you have earned if you have and used the Freedom RewardsPlus card? With that one, it is 3% back on your top 5 spending categories(top 3 categories for non Chase checking customers), plus $50 bonus if you reach $200 in rewards. For discussion sake, assuming you are checking customer, which of these two cards would have yielded you the best rate for the same numbers you mentioned above?

I have 10/10/10 card as well as top 5 category card (Both branded as Chase Freedom), just don't have enough charges (hardly 10-15 a month) to evaluate.

Thank you.

TiredOfTaxes said: I'm curious how many points would you have earned if you have and used the Freedom RewardsPlus card? With that one, it is 3% back on your top 5 spending categories(top 3 categories for non Chase checking customers), plus $50 bonus if you reach $200 in rewards. For discussion sake, assuming you are checking customer, which of these two cards would have yielded you the best rate for the same numbers you mentioned above?

I have 10/10/10 card as well as top 5 category card (Both branded as Chase Freedom), just don't have enough charges (hardly 10-15 a month) to evaluate.

Thank you.
That's essentially what I had before being downgraded. But until recently, Chase was still my #3 card behind my Discover Gas for the first $100/month (dropping soon to 2%) and my hilton AMEX for their six-point categories (which I valued at 3.6% before hilton changed their categories, now I value those at an even 3%). So it would have taken me forever to get the 3.75% return from going to a $200 reward balance.

It isn't worth it to me to call Chase and debate a card change, lest they decide that it's time to "reevaluate" all of my cards with them!

Clemente21 said: So it would have taken me forever to get the 3.75% return from going to a $200 reward balance.

Can you please help us understand how you arrived at 3.75% for Chase Top 5 Category card?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014