• Text Only
Note the Schwab card will probably stop accepting new applications (see its thread) so anyone who wants it should apply quickly.

For those whose cards are going off the 3% reward program soon (mine end of March), consider prepaying a phone or utility bill to earn 3% for another month (staying under $600 limit of course).

Well, I'll get my morning coffee with the card now. It's $1.55, and I'll get 11.1 points. That's almost ten points for every dollar. I'll use other cards for better rewards. An adjustment.

Interestingly, after logging in, the site still shows the message below. They should not be advertising a program of reward they do not intend to deliver on.

# As an active Chase Checking customer, you get exclusive benefits! MORE REWARDS. Chase Freedom gives you 3% Cash Back on your top 3 Everyday categories. As an active Chase Checking Customer, you'll earn 3% Cash Back on your top 5 Everyday categories a Chase Checking account lets you earn in 2 extra Everyday categories!

Nice going with Chase and its brain smashed top executives, I am sure they will be losing me as a long time customer which I am sure they don't give a @#$@@!. But what if there are hundreds of thousands of customer lost due to their inability to keep their current customer happy?!

I have just supposed to reach the $200 line so that I could cash in on the $250 reward on my Chase Freedom Exclusive; surprised me a lot that when I was about to go in there to cash in, I saw that my reward was changed to this crappy ultimate reward with 20K points for $200. Called the CSR and was told that this was a decision just made a month ago and I should have received a letter which I have never received. Way to go, Chase! You have asked me why I do not bank at chase, here is your answer.

OK, sorry for the vent, guys. I am sure there are many disatisfied customers; from now on, I will be only associated with chase when I get bonuses.

I complained to Chase about having been spending on the assumption I would get a 25% bonus and then having that part of the program canceled. I also mentioned how up to the last moment there was an ad to keep spending claiming you would get 3% on the top categories and the bonus. I hence request that bring my accumulated points up to what was needed to give me the promised 3.75% returns. They rejected the request but on an appeal (via E-mail) they gave me an extra 5000 points.

Apparently, when they converted me to the new rewards program they gave me 3% on the eligible spending in March after the statement closed. I had prepaid some expenses to get near the $600 limit. Although my statement had not closed, it appears (by calculation) I received the points early (this probably mean they could just transfer points to the new system). Thus, I went ahead and used my points.

You may want to see if they have done something similar for you. The pay yourself back option goes back only 60 days so you may not want to lose any opportunities.

It appears you cannot pay yourself back for less than a purchase (or for purchases under $20) and they only issue checks for certain amounts. With this, and the possibility of checks, choosing how to cash out can be complex (especially if you had not done computations in advance to pay an utility bill in the exact amount needed to cash out. In my case, since I had a Chase bank account, the available checks started at $20, and included $25, and $50. By picking the right expenditures I could use pay yourself back to get the balance to 8563 points and then 3 $20 payments reducing it to $2563. A $25 payment left me with 63 points. It took some thinking to get it this low.

If not willing to do this much calculating, or if you can use a Lowe's card, note their special offer of a $25 gift card at Lowe's for only 2000 points (see separate thread), which for some people is even better than cash or account credits.

Eventually, occasional small purchases or their 5% "deal" may get my points above 2000 so I can get a $20 check, or possibly cash out by a utility payment of over $25.00.

Finally happened to my account, effective 2 June -- from Checking Exclusives' 3% on top five categories to 1.1% on everything, with no mention of bonus categories. I should have $50 in rewards by then, so thanks, all, for the "choose your own reward" tip. Can't find any other Chase rewards cards worth having that don't charge ~$100 annual fees, either.

My Chase Freedom w/ Checking Exclusives just got the notice of downgrade, also effective June 2. Sucks since I have $160 accrued and typically only earn $10/mo. Won't get to the $200/250 barrier before the downgrade. Grr.

^^

Same here. Got the letter yesterday. My current statement cuts on May 5, and I'll only have about $105 in rewards built up when it closes. No way I can get to $200 before they change. Time to find a new card. I've been charging $2k-3k a month on this one. Their loss.

I sent an email to Chase CC explaining my frustration since I was so close to the rewards level of $200, that they continue to advertise the program on my account and statement, and that I feel like Chase is doing a bait and switch on me. The initial response that "Ultimate Rewards" was better and they showed me all the 'great' details about the program. I replied saying that in fact, it was a serious downgrade and I was disappointed that Chase was giving me short notice and I had been using the card so diligently to get to the $200, and being so close, felt cheated by Chase. This response was escalated to another department (did not clarify which). Another response from Chase then apologized that I could not reject the rewards program change, but that she would allow me to cash out on the original terms of the rewards program by adding $50 to my rewards, making my total $210 and enough to redeem for the $250 check.

Just an FYI if others feel frustrated like I do/did.

paytonc said: Finally happened to my account, effective 2 June -- from Checking Exclusives' 3% on top five categories to 1.1% on everything, with no mention of bonus categories. I should have $50 in rewards by then, so thanks, all, for the "choose your own reward" tip. Can't find any other Chase rewards cards worth having that don't charge ~$100 annual fees, either.

Note that it is not just 1.1%. It is:

1.1 point per dollar (rounded)

and

10 points per purchase.

So the actual rewards vary with the amount spent:

A $1 purchase will result in 11 points (11% back).
$5 is 16 points, or 3.2%.
$10 is 21 points, or 2.1%.
$50 is 65 points, or 1.3%.
$100 is 120 points, or 1.2%.
$1000 is 1110 points, or 1.11%.

In other words, if you're making small purchases, you'll do relatively well with the new rewards scheme. This should probably be your card for coffee shops, fast food restaurants, milk at a convenience or grocery store, a used book where Amazon Prime applies, etc. It should not necessarily be your card for utility bills, hotel reservations, etc, unless your only rewards cards are 1% back types.

Just got my letter in the mail today, effective 6/2, the revolving 3% and the $250 check are gone. I had actually just dug the card back out contemplating the bonus 5% category spending but now, not so much so.

kwest said: I sent an email to Chase CC explaining my frustration since I was so close to the rewards level of $200, that they continue to advertise the program on my account and statement.....

kwest - I'm in the same boat, got my letter today with $175 accrued. To what email address did you send your first email? Based on the emails you received back, do you think there is a better email address to use to make my initial contact? Appreciate any help/advice - thanks.

Finally, they got me. I just received the letter from Chase yesterday. No more $250 check for $200. At least my reward balance is around $60 or so and not $160.

Oh well, it was fun while it last. Now time to use Schwab 2% CashBack on everything Visa exclusively.

As I mentioned in my 3/18 post, customer service assured me that my card was not in line for UR. Yet, I receive my letter today that my Chase Freedom Excusives card is going UR effective 6/2, and that they're completely discontinuing the old program.

Others have said that they've convinced CSRs to give them a little extra to get them up to the $200 breakpoint before the conversion. I'm at $193, yet the CSR said there was absolutely nothing she could do for me. She recommended that I spend a lot in the next two weeks before my May statement closes.

Was there anything special people had to do to get the courtesy bump to $200? Speak to a manager? Any special department?

As a data point, I called the regular cs# on my card and told my sob story about being close to $200 ($25 short). CSR was very friendly and added $10 to my account to at least get me closer to $200. I was hoping for the full $25, but not a terrible outcome.

ThePessimist said: I'm at $193Buy some gift cards at a grocery store.

Alright, I just converted an old Chase card of mine that I never use to the Freedom card. From Chase's website I thought there was only one Freedom card which offered CashBack of 5% for rotating categories. However, the CSR first tried putting me on some Freedom card with rewards points. I asked for CashBack and after a long delay she put me on a Freedom card with 1% CashBack. I keep seeing things on these forums about people liking the Freedom card but now from reading this thread it seems there are many varieties of the Freedom card. I'm wondering if my Freedom card is a flat 1% CashBack or whether it will be eligible for the 5% rotating categories. Can anyone clear up all the different variations of the Freedom card?

the 1% Cash Back is the rotating categories card. It was 3% in Jan-March then they changed it to 5% in April.

if you have a chase checking account then you probably get a free bump-up to the 1.1%/10 bonus points card (which also is eligible for the rotating categtory bonuses.

tjguitar85 said: the 1% Cash Back is the rotating categories card. It was 3% in Jan-March then they changed it to 5% in April.

if you have a chase checking account then you probably get a free bump-up to the 1.1%/10 bonus points card (which also is eligible for the rotating categtory bonuses.

Thanks, haven't got the card yet so I wasn't sure. It's too bad they tried to give me the points-based version of the card until I pushed back.

Yahtzee! After 3 emails to Chase, I got the credit to make me eligible for the $250 check.

Chase said:
Dear Websquirrel,

Let me begin by stating we are sorry to hear of your
dissatisfaction with the upcoming changes to your Chase
Freedom Exclusive rewards program. Chase continually
strives to provide their Cardmembers with products that
are appealing and cost-worthy. We believe that the Chase
Freedom Exclusives 10&10 Ultimate Rewards program is such
a product.

Although you no longer get the additional $50 when you
cash in your $200 rewards Cash Back. Chase has provided
you with additional benefits.

? No monthly or annual reward earning caps
? Your rewards do not expire
? 5% bonus Cash Back opportunities on a variety of
purchases throughout the year
? A new online site that allows you to redeem for what you
want including gift cards and million of products.
? 1% Cash Back on all purchases
? Get Cash Back starting at $50
? New redemption options such as entertainment, sports,
parks and recreation, and wine and culinary.

As a gesture of our commitment to you as our customer I
have added $37.21 to the Chase Freedom Exclusive rewards
balance so that after the May 24, 2010 statement is
generated you will have $200 in rewards to redeem for a
$250 check. You will see this adjustment on the May 24,
2010 statement.

Please be sure to redeem the rewards before the reward
program changes and this is no longer an option.

Please be assured that we value our business relationship
with you. We hope you find the new Chase Freedom
Exclusives 10&10 Ultimate Rewards program will benefit
you. We offer you our commitment of providing you customer
service of the highest caliber.

If you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center.

Thank you,

Jane Doe
E-mail Customer Service Representative

1-800-436-7927

TribeTime said: As a data point, I called the regular cs# on my card and told my sob story about being close to $200 ($25 short). CSR was very friendly and added $10 to my account to at least get me closer to $200. I was hoping for the full $25, but not a terrible outcome.

Update: I checked my account today and there was an additional $50 (not the promised $10) in my account and the $200 for $250 check had already been mailed! Got to say, I'm actually impressed with the way Chase seems to be handling this.

How do you sign up for the quarterly bonus categories? I logged into my account and didn't see that. I am on UR.

Coolarrow said: How do you sign up for the quarterly bonus categories? I logged into my account and didn't see that. I am on UR.https://www.yourchasefreedom.com/

scripta said: Coolarrow said: How do you sign up for the quarterly bonus categories? I logged into my account and didn't see that. I am on UR.https://www.yourchasefreedom.com/

Thanks.

"Thank you for visiting Chase. Unfortunately you are currently ineligible for this bonus offer. Please check back for future bonus offers."

Coolarrow said: scripta said: Coolarrow said: How do you sign up for the quarterly bonus categories? I logged into my account and didn't see that. I am on UR.https://www.yourchasefreedom.com/

Thanks.

"Thank you for visiting Chase. Unfortunately you are currently ineligible for this bonus offer. Please check back for future bonus offers."

Hmm... Are you sure you have a Chase Freedom card? I know some other Chase cards out there are on the UR system, but only Chase FREEDOM CCs are eligible for the rotating 5% promo.

SuperG03

How do the 5% rotating categories work with the Freedom Plus card?
I originally thought it wasn't available for Freedom Plus, but when I was talking to a Chase CSR about my Freedom Plus she asked me if I wanted to sign up for it and said my card qualified for it. She signed me up, and I also went to the website and it let me sign up too.
The terms seem to treat it as a 4% bonus on top of the regular 1%. So with Freedom Plus that gets 3% usually at drugstores, does that mean it will now be 3+4 = 7%, or just 5% (or when considering the $250 for $200 redemption option, 8.75% or 6.25%)?

My understanding is that with the rotating categories, there is no longer a $250 for $200 redemption option.

websquirrel said: My understanding is that with the rotating categories, there is no longer a $250 for $200 redemption option.That's what I thought too, but my Freedom Plus still shows the $250 for $200 redemption option on their website, and supposedly I'm signed up for the 5% rotating category.

govenar said: websquirrel said: My understanding is that with the rotating categories, there is no longer a $250 for $200 redemption option.That's what I thought too, but my Freedom Plus still shows the $250 for $200 redemption option on their website, and supposedly I'm signed up for the 5% rotating category.
My letter, which I confirmed in speaking to a CSR, was that my Chase Freedom Exclusives card was switching over to the new program effective 6/2. At that point the $250 for $200 option will disappear, and that's also when the 5% on rotating categories will take effect. You may be in the same boat, seeing the old program for a couple more weeks.

govenar said: websquirrel said: My understanding is that with the rotating categories, there is no longer a $250 for $200 redemption option.That's what I thought too, but my Freedom Plus still shows the $250 for $200 redemption option on their website, and supposedly I'm signed up for the 5% rotating category.

Been watching this thread with interest. I have the Chase Freedom Plus (three percent on top six EDP categories, $250 for $200 still available (redeemed three times so far this year), $30 annual fee) and have had the card since August 2008 (21 months). I used Chase's Secure Message Center to inquire about the rotating bonus categories and their relationship to my card:

A couple questions:

Is my Chase Freedom Plus card eligible for the 5 percent rotating bonus categories here:

https://www.yourchasefreedom.com/

Would signing up for the bonus categories affect my current 3percent on top six categories rewards structure for my Freedom Plus card?

Thanks

They responded:

Thank you for contacting Chase about the rewards offer.

Upon review of your account, I see the Chase Visa Spend and Get offer is available on your account if you use your credit card between 03/15/2010 and 06/14/2010. In order to be eligible for this offer you must opt in by 06/14/2010 by entering your information at chasebonus.com/freedom24.

Please note you are required to make qualified purchases for any home improvements, home furnishings, lawn and garden, and drug stores. These are bonus rewards and will not affect your current rewards structure, they will just be added on top of your current earnings. Qualified purchases do not include balance transfers, checks that access your account, cash advances, fees or interest charges. In addition, accounts must be open and in current status to be eligible for this offer.

If your account meets the qualifications of the offer listed above, you will receive your 5% Cash Back ($60.00 max) within six to eight weeks after 06/30/2010.

It was my pleasure to have provided this information for you today and if you have any further questions, please reply using the Secure Message Center.

Thank you,

Rebecca
Email Customer Service Advisor

I signed up via the provided URL and asked Chase (via the Secure Message Center) to confirm I was enrolled. I received a response that I was enrolled...so, we'll see what happens.

Like I've posted on the other thread, I got the same info from the CSR too about my Freedom Plus.

Note that I did get ~$7 "Other Bonus Rewards" in my 2/4/2010 statement, possibly from Oct-Dec rotation. The "discount store" and "computer/electronic store" back then was kind of confusing and I have not been able to match the rewards with my transactions.

Anyway, I am keeping my fingers crossed since we have made some quite a bit purchasse fomr Home Depot, Lowe's, etc since April....

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014