• Text Only
That looks like Clemente21 still gets a $250 check for $200 of rewards.

ETA: I see the error of my ways. The glacial-speed spending does render the exclusively ultimate card quite worthless, too.

TiredOfTaxes said: Clemente21 said: So it would have taken me forever to get the 3.75% return from going to a $200 reward balance.

Can you please help us understand how you arrived at 3.75% for Chase Top 5 Category card?
3% return plus the 25% bonus ($250 for $200). So 3%*250/200 = 3.75% under the old program.

Under the new program, I don't get the 250/200. But by focusing the card on purchases of $8 and less, I'm able to get an effective rate around 3%.

I got the letter back in May or June saying my account would be converted by July 31, after which there would be a $30 annual fee, waived for the first year. I've since stopped using the card entirely, and today I finally called to ask them to convert it to a different product. The first rep I spoke to told me it wouldn't be possible to even change the rewards terms to avoid the annual fee and that no conversion of any kind would be possible, so I asked for a supervisor.

This account is also a Mastercard World card, which I don't really like because it doesn't report my credit line every month, so I also asked if I could have that converted as well. I don't need the added benefits of the World card because my AMEX offers the same or better protection on purchases. I was given a choice between keeping the freedom World card and changing the rewards structure to avoid the $30 annual fee, or to completely convert/downgrade the card to a Chase Slate platinum Mastercard with Blueprint that would not be a World card and would have absolutely no rewards program. I opted for the latter, since this account is one of my higher limit accounts (and one of my older ones) and I want it to report the limit every month. I'm not actively using it anyway, so into the sock drawer it will go, only to be used twice a year for a $3 charge and immediate payment to keep it active. Good riddance, Chase.

Now the only account I have that doesn't report the limit is a Chase BP Visa signature card with a relatively low limit. That one is in the sock drawer as well.

I still seem to have the old rewards program and haven't gotten a notice of being downgraded yet. Is it really final that everyone will be downgraded? Looking at my Rewards Program detail it seem to be same old program I signed up for.

-I still get Top 5 Categories 3% Cash Back for my checking account.
-I see that 1% for everything else.
-I have double checked and $250 Cash Back for $200 is still there. I will try out when I get to $200 next.
-The card/program is still called plain "Chase Freedom".

unseengundam said: I still seem to have the old rewards program and haven't gotten a notice of being downgraded yet. Is it really final that everyone will be downgraded? Looking at my Rewards Program detail it seem to be same old program I signed up for.

-I have double checked and $250 Cash Back for $200 is still there. I will try out when I get to $200 next.

When did you get that card? I believe they haven't started converting those that have had their CC for under 1 year. It wasn't until July of this year that they stopped offering that version. Let us know. Thanks.

SuperG03

DTASFAB said: I was given a choice between keeping the freedom World card and changing the rewards structure to avoid the $30 annual fee,I am going to be calling Chase in a couple months to downgrade my Freedom in order to avoid the $30 fee. When the rep gave you the option to downgrade the rewards structure, did he/she give any indication that you would lose any accumulated rewards?

I am not sure that I will reach the $50 "cash-out" level, so I am wondering if I will lose what I have when I downgrade the card.

I can't really give you a definitive answer because that was the last thing on my mind during the phone call, but I have feeling that merely changing the rewards structure on your freedom card will not cost you any accumulated Cash Back.

I think only because I converted to an entirely different product did I lose all five pennies I had accumulated since I stopped using the card on a regular basis and cashed out back in October.

If you have at least $25 you can "pay yourself back" an exact amount that's over $25 and under $50. The only catch is that it has to be the same exact amount as a purchase you've made within the last 60 days. This makes it possible to squeeze out every last penny from them with just a few math calculations, a little planning, and discipline. My final charge was just before the end of a billing cycle and in an amount that I knew would be my new accumulated rewards total after the statement closed. The result was that my total balance owed on the account matched my accumulated rewards total and matched the exact amount of a charge I had made in the last 60 days. Click-click-click, balance is paid in full without sending them any of my own actual money.

DTASFAB said: If you have at least $25 you can "pay yourself back" an exact amount that's over $25 and under $50.Hmm, I'm over $25, but when I look at the website it says the "Freedom Credit" award "Minimum amount that can be redeemed is 150 dollars". I guess mine is different or is there a trick to this? Thanks.

It's tricky. I too at one time thought the minimum was $150, but there's a way to do it for any amount over $25. I just did it back in November for $47.XX and at the time, I was on the same Freedom plan that you have - $30 annual fee, 3% on gas, groceries, and fast food, with 1% on everything else.

When you're signed in and you click to redeem your rewards, it takes you to the "ultimate rewards mall" or something like that, right?

Once you're there, the option you're looking for is called "pay yourself back" or something very similar.

I'd try to help you more, but I already converted my account and I no longer have access to any of it. I'll try with a different account (a former Providian/Wamu account) that's on "flexi" rewards or something. They come up with all these stupid gimmicky marketing names for their Cash Back programs and I can't keep track of them all.

Doesn't work... my Freedom card has already been converted and there's no reward link anywhere... only Blueprint.

My other two Chase accounts both bring me to choosemyrewards.com, not ultimaterewards.com, which is what you need. Sorry. Good luck.

Thanks for your help, DTASFAB, I appreciate it. Although it appears I'm on the same Freedom plan that you used to be on, there's no Ultimate Rewards Mall, or any type of Mall when I click to redeem rewards. All I get is a page with the five standard redemption options. I may try calling a CSR to see if they can find the hidden "Pay Yourself Back" option.

No worries, I'll just have to spend more money on this card than I wanted to so I can get to the $50 level. Thanks again for your help.

OMFG the level of Chase's incompetence has reached new epic proportions. As described, I converted my Chase Freedom World Mastercard to a Chase Slate Platinum Mastercard with Blueprint (and no rewards program whatsoever) last week for the purposes of (1) avoiding the new $30 annual fee on the Freedom account, and (2) having the credit limit reported to the credit reporting agencies, which was not the case previously because of the account's status as a World card.

So two separate one-page letters arrived in the mail yesterday. They were both written in SPANISH. I called around 5:15AM and got someone in India. She suggested that I should call the Spanish-speaking customer service department and they could possibly help me understand what was written in the letters. She was unresponsive to my request to simply mail new copies of the letters translated into English. She also told me that the Spanish-speaking department was closed, and that their hours were 6AM-2AM.

Then I called back around 2:15PM and I got a guy who was dangerous - dangerous because he sounded like he knew what he was talking about, but obviously didn't, because he kept contradicting himself. You know you're dealing with either a scammer or a total idiot when you ask the same question multiple times and get a different answer each time. Anyway, he was clearly in the U.S., spoke with a slight southern accent, and seemed curious when I told him I thought the letters probably dealt with the account conversion from approximately one week ago, but I couldn't be sure because I don't read Spanish well.

I ended up explaining to him that I didn't want the World card because it does not report to the CRAs, and he started talking about new regulations going into effect on February 22 that allow at least 60-90 days before derogatory items are reported. I had to explain to him that I wasn't talking about negative items and that I was referring to having an available line of credit reported to factor into my total utilization ratio. Then he understood and he made the distinction between an "allocated line" of credit with the World card as opposed to a listed "credit limit" on any other ordinary credit card. He then took a quick look into the conversion from last week and the current status of my account and told me that everything was mangled up and that the system was still showing the account as a World card.

He proceeded to try to convert me back to Freedom and also offered me an "upgrade" to Sapphire, and when he could tell I wasn't really interested, he suggested that he could change the reporting information to show a credit limit as opposed to an allocated line, despite the account's status as a World card.

I asked him twice if the Slate Mastercard I would be receiving in the mail soon would be a World card. The first time he said yes. Then later, I asked him if it would be a World card or a platinum card, and whether it could be both. To this he first replied yes, it could be both, but then he checked it, and discovered that "the highest level attainable" with a Slate card was platinum. Slate cards cannot be World cards. I was pleased when he said this and told him to not change a thing with regard to the accounts and that I merely wanted English copies of the letters sent. He had to put me on hold to change the default language on my account from Spanish back to English and then when he returned, we ended the call.

The worst part is that the guy was genuinely trying to help, but he obviously didn't have the proper background knowledge of all the different tiers of products offered by Chase, and his efforts were likely hindered by overly complicated information he was seeing in Chase's computer system that made the current status of my account difficult to understand. All he wanted to tell me was how great the Freedom card is because there are over three million ways to accumulate and redeem points.... as if I still give a sh*t at this point, after not having used the card since October.

This whole thing wasted 20 minutes of my life that I'll never get back, not including the time it took me to type this post. Chase can suck it!

Chase converted my Freedom card to a ultimate reward. I have Chase saving and checking account. Can I call them to convert my ultimate card to a Freedom Chase Exclusives card?

SuperG03 said: unseengundam said: I still seem to have the old rewards program and haven't gotten a notice of being downgraded yet. Is it really final that everyone will be downgraded? Looking at my Rewards Program detail it seem to be same old program I signed up for.

When did you get that card? I believe they haven't started converting those that have had their CC for under 1 year. It wasn't until July of this year that they stopped offering that version. Let us know. Thanks.

SuperG03

I was converted out of a Chase "Rewards Plus" account into Freedom back in 2007, and am still with the "original" Freedom that unseengundam shows above.

My Chase Freedom card, which is lying dormant in my desk drawer, remains 3% for the top 3 everyday spending categories each month (out of 15 total categories). I still see the option for earning $200 in rewards for a $250 check. Given Chase's propensity to change things on a whim I don't see this card going back into my wallet for use though. No point in trying to get to another $200 in rewards for them to change the program mid-accumulation.

I got an automatic credit line increase notification in the mail today. lol.

I'm still waiting to get the 5 instead of 3 categories for having the checking account, how long does that take?

cloudspear said: Chase converted my Freedom card to a ultimate reward. I have Chase saving and checking account. Can I call them to convert my ultimate card to a Freedom Chase Exclusives card?
You can certainly call them to do whatever you want, but I recommend very low expectations. Maybe this depends on things I wouldn't understand, but in my case, once I was "upgraded" to "ultimate" rewards, it was all over. Chase CSR's wouldn't undo it, and declared my account ineligible even for the marginally useful "exclusives" version of the ultimate rewards. Good luck with them.

i agree with pondus..these days Chase just isn't very amenable to converting cards from one type to another....or moving credit lines from one card to another....they use to be very cooperative about those type of things...but not anymore...

max210 said: I got an automatic credit line increase notification in the mail today. lol.

I'm still waiting to get the 5 instead of 3 categories for having the checking account, how long does that take?

In my wife's case, we waiting three months before giving up and converting to Sapphire for $150. I then applied for a new card, which came as a Chase Exclusives Freedom to start with. Of course, this was last June, so applying for a new card isn't really an option anymore...

When will this 3% Freedom card actually end? I'm still having 3% and $200/$250 CashBack option and keep wondering when mine will be converted. Since I don't know if it's worth it trying to accumulate $200 before conversion.

hraner said: When will this 3% Freedom card actually end? I'm still having 3% and $200/$250 CashBack option and keep wondering when mine will be converted. Since I don't know if it's worth it trying to accumulate $200 before conversion.

I've stopped using this card for this very reason. All rewards programs are subject to change. You know this one is changing, just that they haven't gotten to your account for whatever reason. Would is surprise you that once you're close to $200 they'll convert your account?

hraner said: When will this 3% Freedom card actually end? I'm still having 3% and $200/$250 CashBack option and keep wondering when mine will be converted. Since I don't know if it's worth it trying to accumulate $200 before conversion.
So far, I haven't heard of anyone getting forcibly converted whose account was open less than one year. I am hoping that they'll keep that policy, and that I'll at least have until my anniversary date to reach $200.

ThePessimist said: So far, I haven't heard of anyone getting forcibly converted whose account was open less than one year. I am hoping that they'll keep that policy, and that I'll at least have until my anniversary date to reach $200.
But my Freedom account was opened in 2007, don't know what Chase's plan is. There is a $12 limit on the 3% bonus CashBack per month($600 spending), so this 3% isn't really that great either.

It's still possible to apply for and get the Chase Exclusives 3% of top 5 category card using the URL in the other FWF thread about this card

armus:
Can you point to the thread that has the different Exclusives card app link? I searched and found another link but its the same as the one in the quick summary. Thx!

Yes, #2 in the quick summary appears to be the same. I got tired of waiting for Chase to upgrade my Freedom card to exclusives (Chase reps said it'd happen within 3 months, and it hasn't) so I applied for the exclusives card.

After months (perhaps 9 months by now)of trying, Chase still has not honored their promise to upgrade cards to Exclusives with he promised 3% on 5 categories (which was their side of the offer that induced me to open a checking account, and a legal obligation of the contract they created when I accepted their offer).

ProfessorEd said: After months (perhaps 9 months by now)of trying, Chase still has not honored their promise to upgrade cards to Exclusives with he promised 3% on 5 categories (which was their side of the offer that induced me to open a checking account, and a legal obligation of the contract they created when I accepted their offer).
Let's hope you also accepted the $125 taxable bonus for each account!

LeveragedSpeculator said: I don't like doing business with companies that employ chicken vindaloo eating persons with poor English skills.
You have been watching way too much Red Dwarf my son lol.

TYTBUDGET

This was in a NY Times article today:

Chase officials say that they changed the Freedom program to reflect new consumer insights and are planning yet another round of changes. Next month, all Chase Freedom cardholders will give up their existing benefits and be moved into a new cash-back rewards program offering a 5 percent rebate in three categories that change each quarter. (The catch is that cardholders will have to sign up to receive the benefits and will no longer qualify for a coveted $50 bonus.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/20/business/20rewards.html?pagewa...

ProfessorED said: After months (perhaps 9 months by now)of trying, Chase still has not honored their promise to upgrade cards to Exclusives with he promised 3% on 5 categories (which was their side of the offer that induced me to open a checking account, and a legal obligation of the contract they created when I accepted their offer).

If you switch to points and then back to cash, it should enroll you in the Dynamic

jtdeals said: This was in a NY Times article today:

Chase officials say that they changed the Freedom program to reflect new consumer insights and are planning yet another round of changes. Next month, all Chase Freedom cardholders will give up their existing benefits and be moved into a new cash-back rewards program offering a 5 percent rebate in three categories that change each quarter. (The catch is that cardholders will have to sign up to receive the benefits and will no longer qualify for a coveted $50 bonus.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/20/business/20rewards.html?pagewa...

And yet one month later it has not been fully implemented (12 days to go in March).

My legacy Freedom Plus is still going strong, I've just got charged $30 annual fee, cashed another $200->$250 and still have 6 top categories.

neophyte said: And yet one month later it has not been fully implemented (12 days to go in March).
My legacy Freedom Plus is still going strong, I've just got charged $30 annual fee, cashed another $200->$250 and still have 6 top categories.
The assumption has been that this stuff wouldn't apply to Freedom Plus since it has an annual fee.

I have a Chase Freedom Exclusives card, opened July '09. I sent them an email referencing their announcement and asking about whether it would affect my card (with a tantalizing $179 of accumulated awards - just $21 to go...). Their reply: Chase said: I reviewed your account and do not see any such changes to your account, if there is any change to your account we will notify you about it.
Maybe this only affects basic Freedom cards, not Freedom Exclusives, Freedom Plus, etc.?

My regular chase rewards card that I use once a year just got upgraded to Chase Freedom. Should I care? There's a big 5% Cash Back heading on the first page but when I read the fine print it says 1%. So which is it?

It also says, avoid interest with full pay. Well, duh. Is there a card that does charge you interest when you pay in full?

IAskStupidQuestions said: My regular chase rewards card that I use once a year just got upgraded to Chase Freedom. Should I care? There's a big 5% Cash Back heading on the first page but when I read the fine print it says 1%. So which is it?

It also says, avoid interest with full pay. Well, duh. Is there a card that does charge you interest when you pay in full?

Reg Chase Rewards gave you 1 pt / dollar I believe, so does the new Chase Freedom, so no, you shouldn't care. The 5% Cash Back is something new they are trying out. You HAVE TO ENROLL your CC each time, and for that time frame, they have a few "select" categories, in which you will get 5 points / dollar instead of 1 point / dollar. The "full pay" option is part of their "blueprint" payment options. You can have full pay, split pay, and some other stuff. I don't know all the fine points, but you can search for Chase Blueprint and find all you need. Hope that helps.

SuperG03

ThePessimist said: I have a Chase Freedom Exclusives card, opened July '09. I sent them an email referencing their announcement and asking about whether it would affect my card (with a tantalizing $179 of accumulated awards - just $21 to go...). Their reply: Chase said: I reviewed your account and do not see any such changes to your account, if there is any change to your account we will notify you about it.
Maybe this only affects basic Freedom cards, not Freedom Exclusives, Freedom Plus, etc.?

No it impacts everyone. However, I remember them saying they wouldn't convert those who have had basic freedom (old) or freedom exclusives (old) for at least 1 year from time they got the CC. I believe July 2009 was the last month they offered the Old Freedom Exclusives, so I think you are good for now. At least good enough to get to the $200 -> $250 option before the axe comes. Hope that helps.

SuperG03

Well, the clock has finally run out - effective April 30, I get "updated" to Chase Freedom with Ultimate Rewards. 1.1 points per dollar spent plus 10 points ($0.10) per purchase. No $250 for $200 anymore.

calwatch said: Well, the clock has finally run out - effective April 30, I get "updated" to Chase Freedom with Ultimate Rewards. 1.1 points per dollar spent plus 10 points ($0.10) per purchase. No $250 for $200 anymore.

Same here for a Freedom card that I had for few years. Now hopefully the 5% on my Chase Cash Plus stays forever

Same here, got the 4/30 "upgrade" letter, had been waiting for this letter for a while. Probably 4/30 is the "doom" day for all Chase Freedom cards

It seems Chase will stop being my primary card after 4/30, new combo: Schwab 2% + whatever/whoever is giving 5% on certain categories(Discover/Penfed/Chase/Citi Forward, etc)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.