Lifetime Cash Back:

Unexplained charge of 0.19 cents to Visa Card from GFDL 8007640847 TX

3 of 6
rkfwc
11/17/08 2:09 PM
whtrabtkira said:

gatzdon said:

ziffy said:

Imagine if you can get 19 cents from 1,000,000 cardholders that would not dispute the charges because they're too small.

The funny part is, that below a certain amount, many credit card companies eat the loss on small disputes because it costs more to followup with the merchant.

Sure, I can see a bank will eat $0.19 x 1,000,000 cardholders = $190,0000 in this kind of economy environment... I don't think so.

Why not ?
With taxpayers eagerly dishing out Trillion dollars and counting to bail out the bank's fraudulent loans
why will banks bother any more now than before with such small chump change fraud
(just fraudsters letting their kind alone .
Tom9999
11/17/08 2:21 PM
Slightly off topic, but watch your restaurant charges too. I caught a BBQ place in the Memphis airport rounding up my tab to the next dollar. Normally I would not have noticed, but it was a business trip and it did not match when I did my expense report. Airport restaurant without regular guests + thousands of transactions a day X $.50 average per tab = nice little scam. I disputed and received credit right away for $.49 or something, but not sure if they went after the restaurant.
SummerSoFar
11/17/08 2:29 PM
Why does everything bad always originate from Texas...???
turls88
11/17/08 2:37 PM
kronus said:

subroses said:

Thanks,

My bank is closed for today, will try them Monday morning.

I'm surprised there isn't a 24h card number, esp for fraud purposes where you need to take quick action before some scammer runs up charges and makes off with the loot.

Most likely there is, OP probably doesn't understand that his bank probably outsources CC customer service, they almost certainly do for at least fraud reporting. The bank is just hurting themselves if they don't educate their customers to this and they probably should just sell their portfolio. My bank makes sure it is one of the first choices you hear if you call after hours because we will just be eating the fraud if we don't catch it.
advocatus
11/17/08 2:39 PM
Man that would suck, getting charged a 39.99 late fee on a 19 cent balance. goes to check his cards.
Xnarg
11/17/08 5:47 PM
This is a good reminder of an advantage of frequently downloading (e.g., daily) your financial transactions to a program like Quicken or Money. You'd spot stuff like this right away.
glenatuf
11/17/08 5:48 PM
SummerSoFar said:

Why does everything bad always originate from Texas...???

Because y'all won't mess with us, as per our intense propaganda campaign.
gatzdon
11/17/08 6:04 PM
whtrabtkira said:

gatzdon said:

ziffy said:

Imagine if you can get 19 cents from 1,000,000 cardholders that would not dispute the charges because they're too small.

The funny part is, that below a certain amount, many credit card companies eat the loss on small disputes because it costs more to followup with the merchant.

Sure, I can see a bank will eat $0.19 x 1,000,000 cardholders = $190,0000 in this kind of economy environment... I don't think so.

I would hope so too, but wasn't it a few years before they caught onto that russian mafia scheme where they charged like $5 to every credit card number they could get, then discarded the number. I guess they got millions before someone managed to catch on.
zindagi
11/17/08 6:21 PM
I think every CC issuer charrges atleast $0.1 for each transaction processed.

ziffy said:

I hope everyone will dispute the charge eventhough it's small.
This happened to me a couple years back, it turned out a crook charged like millions of cardholders with pennies charges.

Drew510
11/17/08 6:35 PM
We write off anything under $25 but still put a claim out so it gets recorded. To piggyback on what others said, if you get charges like this, call your FI immediately as that positive hit just put you in a database to sell to the bad dudes and more significant charges will follow very soon. If afterhours, there should be a number on the back of your card to call, even for the smallest of banks.
3 of 6
Please select a reason for your RED vote:

You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.