• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi,

An unexplained charge of 0.19 cents has come to my credit card from

GFDL 8007640847 TX

I have no idea what this charge is, did a google search and found out that lot of people have been charged from 0.14 cents to 0.19 cents. Some charges have appeared to debit cards.

Link

Trying to disable my card. If anybody else got this charge, please comment.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
They did this in Superman III!

Yeahhhhhh.

PhrostByte (Nov. 21, 2008 @ 8:04a) |

Just got my statement and yup, there's the charge on my Banana Republic card. Called to dispute and will cancel the card... (more)

matt76 (Dec. 03, 2008 @ 6:45p) |

The scam continues. A few days ago I got a call from my credit card company about this company's charge on my account. A... (more)

ImagineNoHell (Jan. 31, 2009 @ 6:46p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Had a similar charge last month - .15 from IPS 8005906984 CA. Was easily reversed by the issuing card. This is on a card that is rarely used. I know I haven't used it online for months, if not years.

Thanks,

My bank is closed for today, will try them Monday morning.

3 seconds you spent with the hooker?

Probably trying random numbers to see if the charge goes through, then jack up subsequent charges into the thousands if no one notices.

It's an old scam, more common through ACH than credit cards. Dispute, change your card number.

subroses said: Thanks,

I'm surprised there isn't a 24h card number, esp for fraud purposes where you need to take quick action before some scammer runs up charges and makes off with the loot.

0.19 cents?? can they charge that? or you are just using Verizon math?

I got a $0.13 charge on my credit card too. I checked on google and apparently its a fraudulent charge. I'm guessing they just charge a few cents on everyones accounts so that you'll just ignore the charge and let it go.

found some info here:

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-800-764-0847

I had this happen 2 months ago and within days the $19.99 charges starting piling on fast. If you decide to keep this card without getting a new one, you need to watch the charges daily. Also, if you use this card for any auto-pays, make a list now in case you do have to cancel it will be easier to change them all if you have a list.

"Unexplained charges of $0.19 or $0.13 on credit card from 8007640847." Text

I hope everyone will dispute the charge eventhough it's small.
This happened to me a couple years back, it turned out a crook charged like millions of cardholders with pennies charges.
Imagine if you can get 19 cents from 1,000,000 cardholders that would not dispute the charges because they're too small.

ziffy said: ...........
Imagine if you can get 19 cents from 1,000,000 cardholders that would not dispute the charges because they're too small.

The funny part is, that below a certain amount, many credit card companies eat the loss on small disputes because it costs more to followup with the merchant.

Got it too; $0.13 from GFDL. Tried calling the 1-800-764-0847 the bank gave me for this company and it says the number is not in service. I filed a dispute and got my debit card canceled.

I hate thieves.

<removed double post>

gatzdon said: ziffy said: ...........

The funny part is, that below a certain amount, many credit card companies eat the loss on small disputes because it costs more to followup with the merchant.

But the credit card company isn't going to let them get away with it if it one company doing it to thousands. They will revoke their credit account.

I'll be keeping my eye out now for these tiny charges in the future after reading this thread .

Was it a Citibank card? They jsut issued new debit cards to quite a few people due to some possible leakage of info to some russians or somthing.

gatzdon said: ziffy said: ...........

Sure, I can see a bank will eat $0.19 x 1,000,000 cardholders = $190,0000 in this kind of economy environment... I don't think so.

One of my mom's Chase cards which she hasnt used for a while now had a $0.03 charge pending -- it set off a fraud alert with Chase and she had them cancel the card

Last time it was used was 1-1.5yrs ago so an older CC database must have been hacked

whtrabtkira said: gatzdon said: ziffy said: ...........

Sure, I can see a bank will eat $0.19 x 1,000,000 cardholders = $190,0000 in this kind of economy environment... I don't think so.

Why not ?
With taxpayers eagerly dishing out Trillion dollars and counting to bail out the bank's fraudulent loans
why will banks bother any more now than before with such small chump change fraud
(just fraudsters letting their kind alone .

Slightly off topic, but watch your restaurant charges too. I caught a BBQ place in the Memphis airport rounding up my tab to the next dollar. Normally I would not have noticed, but it was a business trip and it did not match when I did my expense report. Airport restaurant without regular guests + thousands of transactions a day X $.50 average per tab = nice little scam. I disputed and received credit right away for $.49 or something, but not sure if they went after the restaurant.

Why does everything bad always originate from Texas...???

kronus said: subroses said: Thanks,

I'm surprised there isn't a 24h card number, esp for fraud purposes where you need to take quick action before some scammer runs up charges and makes off with the loot.

Most likely there is, OP probably doesn't understand that his bank probably outsources CC customer service, they almost certainly do for at least fraud reporting. The bank is just hurting themselves if they don't educate their customers to this and they probably should just sell their portfolio. My bank makes sure it is one of the first choices you hear if you call after hours because we will just be eating the fraud if we don't catch it.

Man that would suck, getting charged a 39.99 late fee on a 19 cent balance. goes to check his cards.

This is a good reminder of an advantage of frequently downloading (e.g., daily) your financial transactions to a program like Quicken or Money. You'd spot stuff like this right away.

SummerSoFar said: Why does everything bad always originate from Texas...???

Because y'all won't mess with us, as per our intense propaganda campaign.

whtrabtkira said: gatzdon said: ziffy said: ...........

I would hope so too, but wasn't it a few years before they caught onto that russian mafia scheme where they charged like $5 to every credit card number they could get, then discarded the number. I guess they got millions before someone managed to catch on.

I think every CC issuer charrges atleast $0.1 for each transaction processed.

ziffy said: I hope everyone will dispute the charge eventhough it's small.
This happened to me a couple years back, it turned out a crook charged like millions of cardholders with pennies charges.

We write off anything under $25 but still put a claim out so it gets recorded. To piggyback on what others said, if you get charges like this, call your FI immediately as that positive hit just put you in a database to sell to the bad dudes and more significant charges will follow very soon. If afterhours, there should be a number on the back of your card to call, even for the smallest of banks.

SummerSoFar said: Why does everything bad always originate from Texas...???

Did'nt know Texas was Nigeria of America

What I don't get though is that isn't there a minimum merchant charge like 30 cents per transaction plus 2-3% of the total? So if they charged you .19 cents, they'd end up paying at least 30 cents to Visa/Mastercard.

I just reported to my FI a $0.15 cent charge to my account on Nov 17th. I called the 1 800 764-0847 number listed with the posted charge and got the response of "the number was not in service." The only external financial activities that I can possibly attribute this to was my recent inqury to LendingTree.com for current mortgage rate offerings. I got a slew of phone and email offers afterwards. Has anyone else with this charge showing made mortgage rate inquirys in the recent past???

Yes, I got a 15 cent charge yesterday - Nov 17th. I tried the GFDL phone # which said it was not in service. I called my Financial Institution and reported it -- they will reverse the charge. The only thing I can attribute this to was my recent inquiry on LendingTree.com for current mortgage rates. They asked for a lot of Financial information. After which I got a slew of phone and email messages from various mortgage lending agencies - which was not unexpected -- but this charge makes me wonder who else has access to what I provided LendingTree. I am not sure where else this GFDL of TX could have gotten my account # to charge.

Rusty50 said: I just reported to my FI a $0.15 cent charge to my account on Nov 17th. I called the 1 800 764-0847 number listed with the posted charge and got the response of "the number was not in service." The only external financial activities that I can possibly attribute this to was my recent inqury to LendingTree.com for current mortgage rate offerings. I got a slew of phone and email offers afterwards. Has anyone else with this charge showing made mortgage rate inquirys in the recent past???

Lending Tree is a mortgage lead generation company, when you put your information in with them they sell your details to 4 lenders who have all paid a fair amount of money to be able to contact you. I seriously doubt that Lending Tree would have anything to do with selling your CC number, I didn't even think they asked for CC numbers.

Rusty50 said: The only thing I can attribute this to was my recent inquiry on LendingTree.com for current mortgage rates. They asked for a lot of Financial information.

They asked for your credit card numbers???

No, but they asked for my SS# and birthdate to get credit information. From that they could get anything they probably wanted. The lendingtree request form asking for the information was on a secure page (HTTPS). But again - I don't know the integrity or security of the organizations they sold to.

Rusty50 said: No, but they asked for my SS# and birthdate to get credit information. From that they could get anything they probably wanted. The lendingtree request form asking for the information was on a secure page (HTTPS). But again - I don't know the integrity or security of the organizations they sold to.

To put this briefly, with the amount of information that they have in hand, they could do far worse things to you, than making a random charge for $.15 on one of your CC's. Think something along the lines of taking out a mortgage in your name or applying for some other credit in your name. I don't know Lending Tree extremely well, but I have dabbled in selling mortgage leads in the past and if people don't trust you they will not fill out a complete form which means the lead is worth less money or may be entirely worthless depending on the amount of information there. So it is in Lending Tree's interest to make sure that your information is secure or at least appears secure.

It is probably far more likely a criminal organization was using brute force in order to find "valid" numbers. Enter enough numbers and you are bound to come up with some valid ones.

henry33 said: What I don't get though is that isn't there a minimum merchant charge like 30 cents per transaction plus 2-3% of the total? So if they charged you .19 cents, they'd end up paying at least 30 cents to Visa/Mastercard.It depends on the specific merchant agreement/processer. The per-transaction fee can range from $.05-$.30 depending on your classification/volume/average ticket/etc. And sometimes the fee will be adjusted to not exceed the total value of the transaction (For example, Paypal only charges $.01 fee for a $.01 purchase, while GCO charges the $.20 transaction fee regardless of the purchase amount.)

What you say is not helpful, but true -- if it was Lending Tree it could be a lot worse. I don't think it was Lending Tree. I have worked in the Information Technology, IT systems development, integration, test, and systems penetration profession for many years. It may be in Lending Trees best interest to keep my information secure, but they deal with many third parties and the possibility exists.
I have never had this kind of “unknown” charge to my account in the past. Because of what I know and have done in testing IT systems containing personal information, I rarely provide that much detail online to anyone but my financial institution, which is still not absolutely secure. I am aware that my accounts can be randomly hit or obtained in many other different ways, but it just seemed coincidental that this occurred so soon after my dealings with Lending Tree. Leaks/loss of data records have been reported from Insurance Companies, travel agencies, credit card companies, US Government agencies, as well as financial organizations. And to just dismiss it would be foolish.
The same 15 cent rational provided that it could not have been some third party associated with Lending Tree would apply to any random criminal organization using brute force. It doesn’t hold water. An unauthorized charge of any amount is a concern. All I am doing is pursuing thoughts on its possible source.
I just asked the question in this forum if anyone else had made inquiries into mortgage rates recently and been hit with this GFDL charge! If not, then that would be a dead end to that line of thought.
I do think that the gentleman was right earlier that said the bank will just credit me the 15cents and call it quits. It’s too small. I also believe that if I don’t cancel this bankcard and replace it – I will get another posting for something a lot worse.

Skipping 14 Messages...
The scam continues. A few days ago I got a call from my credit card company about this company's charge on my account. A shame I can't keep it; it's a credit charge!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014