Chase billed me for $1.99

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Boo-hoo, I guess they decided they were tired of people like me picking their pocket for $1.99 per account every month. Anyway, get ready to pay those 1.99 bills this month.

BTW I did search for the thread where people were keeping notes on this habit of certain issuers but it was lost in the ether to me.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
anyone have success with .99 per statement without being charged? I still see > $1 value/month for this strategy since ... (more)

jw530 (Jan. 10, 2009 @ 2:41p) |

Pay your $1.99 bills deadbeats!

tripleB (Jan. 10, 2009 @ 2:47p) |

My old thread on this practice was archived. There is a new thread with the same title HERE.

highmktgoods (Jan. 10, 2009 @ 2:50p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I had a new freedom card where I got 100 reward after first use....charged 1.99 this month and it was erased...

WalStMonky said: Boo-hoo, I guess they decided they were tired of people like me picking their pocket for $1.99 per account every month. Anyway, get ready to pay those 1.99 bills this month.

BTW I did search for the thread where people were keeping notes on this habit of certain issuers but it was lost in the ether to me.

I always charged 1.95 on each of my 6 accounts, 3 of those account were billed at $1.95 but the other 3 were erased.

WalStMonky said: Boo-hoo, I guess they decided they were tired of people like me picking their pocket for $1.99 per account every month. Anyway, get ready to pay those 1.99 bills this month.

I hope they charge you interest for the average daily balance on the full amount, too. I had a couple of occasions there they credited me back a dollar or so when I accidentally paid the wrong amount but I never would have thought of intentionally doing it. Too bad it now appears that the greedy have killed this nice "feature".

Chase- the only credit card I ever cancelled and will never use again. There credit protection division charged my card about 3 times a month for a montly charge and kept doing it month after month. I kept calling finally got the charges deleted but what a hassle.

Hmmm, 1.99 @...wait, what's my interest rate? Oh well, let's just guess that it's 30%. That'd cost me a nickle!

I had a couple of occasions there they credited me back a dollar or so when I accidentally paid the wrong amount but I never would have thought of intentionally doing it.

Well, you can bet your bottom dollar that if someone is handing out free money I'm getting in line with my hand out. Let's see, you think that your attitude makes you superior to me, and I think the same about my attitude being the superior choice. At this point I think we need to arm wrestle to decide who the better man is.

billrubin said: WalStMonky said: Boo-hoo, I guess they decided they were tired of people like me picking their pocket for $1.99 per account every month. Anyway, get ready to pay those 1.99 bills this month.

I hope they charge you interest for the average daily balance on the full amount, too. I had a couple of occasions there they credited me back a dollar or so when I accidentally paid the wrong amount but I never would have thought of intentionally doing it. Too bad it now appears that the greedy have killed this nice "feature".
Interest? Why do you think a $1.99 charge wouldn't fall under the grace period like any other purchase?

I've been shaving over 10% off my cable bill for a couple years now doing this. What's the use of having a "nice feature" if you dont utilize it?

And here is the thread you were looking for, unfortunately it's been archived.

$2? you guys work cheaper than a crack hooker after a long, slow day.

Think Roboform. It took an average of 16 seconds to schedule a payment of $1.99 to Comcast 11 times a month. That's $225/hour. You need to find a better deal on crack whores!

I recall once getting a .02 settlement from a class action suit. HSBC credited it right to my bill. So the lawyer that 'represented' me earned a penny. Somehow I don't think he was regretting his paycheck that week.

This reminds me of that thread on gas or cars (I couldn't find the thread in search) where a poster said he filled up gasoline on his Discover in less than $1.00 increments and Discover never charged him for gas, ever.

Why does Chase charge me for every penny I spend at Kinko's and not charge you $1.99 - is it due to the autobill/billpay feature? Or is it because the entire bill is too small? (eta: nevermind, I read the linked thread, you guys are funny )

Hmm. I just had a $1.98 low balance credit on my Chase account on with a statement ending on 11/13. I've been doing this for months and it's still working for me. What was the closing date on your statement?

Glitch99 said: Interest? Why do you think a $1.99 charge wouldn't fall under the grace period like any other purchase?

I was referring to people who charge more than that but underpay by the $1.99.I've been shaving over 10% off my cable bill for a couple years now doing this. What's the use of having a "nice feature" if you dont utilize it?
Which seems to be what you were doing. If they decide to charge you interest, it will be based on the average daily balance for the month, not just the $1.99 you didn't paid.
And here is the thread you were looking for, unfortunately it's been archived.I wasn't looking for it, but since you mentioned it I will tell my related story.

I ported my AT&T number to Verizon (this was back when they were the original AT&T Mobile). Because I had foolishly paid my monthly bill already that month, they owed me $6 and change for the cancelled period. I asked for it back and they told me that because it was under $10, they would be "absorbing it". Well, I kept getting bills showing a $6.xx credit and one day I got a check in the mail for that amount. But the bills showing the credit continued, and in fact they still do to this day. I find it amusing to get a bill each month showing a credit. I don't think I can logon to my account anymore to tell them to make my bill online only since I no longer have their service. It's amusing to think of how much they've wasted on this, when they could have just resolved it by sending me the check when I first asked for it.

... what in the hell is everyone talking about?

billrubin said: Glitch99 said: Interest? Why do you think a $1.99 charge wouldn't fall under the grace period like any other purchase?

I was referring to people who charge more than that but underpay by the $1.99.I've been shaving over 10% off my cable bill for a couple years now doing this. What's the use of having a "nice feature" if you dont utilize it?
Which seems to be what you were doing. If they decide to charge you interest, it will be based on the average daily balance for the month, not just the $1.99 you didn't paid.
And you obviously dont understand the concept. Its based on the statement - if the statement balance is (was?) $1.99 or less, it would zero out. This is something done PROACTIVELY by the issuers, because it is (was?) more efficient to eat the $1.99 than process a payment for such a little amount. You couldnt just short-pay the balance by $1.99 and 'call it even' like you seem to think.

The only way to "charge more than that but underpay by the $1.99" is if you were to submit the payment PRIOR to the statement date, so that the statement itself only showed a $1.99 outstanding balance. The grace period would still apply to the statement balance of $1.99, if they decided to stop giving the small balance credits - there is no "deciding to charge interest" without throwing the T&C completely out the window.

WalStMonky said: Think Roboform. It took an average of 16 seconds to schedule a payment of $1.99 to Comcast 11 times a month. That's $225/hour. You need to find a better deal on crack whores!

It takes me one second to pick up a penny. Therefore, I make $72,000 a year picking up pennies!

dataadmin said: Hmm. I just had a $1.98 low balance credit on my Chase account on with a statement ending on 11/13. I've been doing this for months and it's still working for me. What was the closing date on your statement?

I actually had 3 statements close recently. One on the 12th and 2 on the 15th. All 3 billed 1.99. It was speculated that Chase forgave less than $2 because their online payment system wouldn't accept payments lower. So I just tried a number of different payment sums and everything lower than 1.99 failed. Next month I guess I'll try some different charges, starting with $1.98.

Bah, too bad this "feature" may be coming to an end. Thanks OP for keeping the FWF community informed.

Like other folks who've posted in this thread, I've been charging $1.99 per Chase cc to Comcrap and sometimes ATT for many, many months now. Seems I'll actually have to pay those charges this month.

2 Chase Freedom accounts (originally opened as Chase Freedom, not converted from something else)

Same purchase at same hour from same merchant for same amount :
Statement closing 11/13, was not billed for the 1.99
Statement closing 11/16, was billed the 1.99

Per the main thread, if $1.99 fails, the next step is to try $0.99.

Also, the specific type of Chase card may need to be tracked.

nfg05 said: ... what in the hell is everyone talking about?

I am wondering the same thing.

NYCSportsResearcher said: nfg05 said: ... what in the hell is everyone talking about?

I am wondering the same thing.

Some CC companies forgive (i.e. DO NOT BILL) for charges under a certain amount (e.g. $1.99).

The city of Attleboro threatens home owner over a one cent bill:

"It would be fiscally irresponsible for me to have staff weed through the bills and pull out any below a certain amount," Marcoccio said. "My question is, how come it wasn't paid when the bills went out?" she said. Marcoccio, who called the whole situation "ridiculous," said the city will not waive the balance. "If there's a bill, it must be paid," she said.

give us our penny!

WalStMonky said: BTW I did search for the thread where people were keeping notes on this habit of certain issuers but it was lost in the ether to me.

Revived here

anyone have success with .99 per statement without being charged? I still see > $1 value/month for this strategy since it also keeps the cards/rewards/credit line programs active. I recently had two cards deactivated for non-use.

Pay your $1.99 bills deadbeats!

jw530 said: anyone have success with .99 per statement without being charged? I still see > $1 value/month for this strategy since it also keeps the cards/rewards/credit line programs active. I recently had two cards deactivated for non-use.

My old thread on this practice was archived. There is a new thread with the same title HERE.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014