• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Last year around this time on FW there were a few threads about the first Suze Orman Save Yourself TD Ameritrade offer which was to open a new Ameritrade account, save $50 per month for 12 months, and get a $100 bonus at the end of it.

Several FW members reported that they got the $100 right on time, as promised. Therefore, I signed up for that deal in April of 2008 and am 4 months away from receiving the free $100 from TD Ameritrade.

Recently, I have searched the FW site several times to find those old threads on that deal (from the end of 2007) and there is absolutely no mention of them now in the search results. That's kind of strange - have a lot of the previous threads been deleted entirely from the forum history?

Anyway, I noticed recently that now Suze Orman has a new Save Yourself program this year -- deadline for signing up is December 31, 2008. The profit is a only half of last year's program -- $100 bonus for saving $1200 in 2008/9, versus $100 bonus for saving $600 in 2007/8. But it seems to me that it's not a bad rate of return for a very safe investment.

The link for the offer is here:
http://www.saveyourself.com/

By the way, this year you don't have to buy Suze Orman's book or any other products from her in order to open the account (you didn't REALLY need to last year either, although it was pitched in that way), and this time it seems to be just a TD Ameritrade offer with a bit of co-branding.

--
I've just noticed on their website that there are 2 different end dates for sign-up. One is Dec 31 2008 and one is 6/1/09.

I sent Ameritrade an email asking them to clarify the actual final date and this was the response:

"You would need to have the account opened by June 1, 2009. If you have already received the $100 bonus from the first Suze Orman promotion, then your account would be eligible for the second promotion as well. You can log into your account online and email us back through the message center so we can capture your account information and then I can check your account for the first promotion and see if you are eligible for the second one."

If you did this last year, it sounds like perhaps you have to complete your first year of deposits (2007/8 program) and receive the $100 bonus before you can open the new account.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
A response email said I qualify for the new bonus with
a new account opened thru the link.

Tacoma99 (Dec. 19, 2008 @ 12:56p) |

Are we just assuming one has to leave the $1,200 in the account? Wouldn't the rules allow you to send the $100 right bac... (more)

CraigB71 (Jan. 13, 2009 @ 7:35p) |

"Should you need to withdraw the money prior to the twelve-month commitment, you may withdraw all of your deposits plus ... (more)

gldpurd (Jan. 13, 2009 @ 7:57p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

the other date is 6/1/09, not 08 so if you do it now it will be OK.

do men qualify for the bonus?

But if you have a large balance and actually trade TDA isn't all that good. Stocks and option fees are certainly not the best and the cash sweep rate is 0.20% (or less). Better off with something like OptionsHouse- lo commissions and at 2.5% sweep. Plus the executions are way better.

but thats not the deal is it? $100 on $1200 is 8.333%....Plus the cash sweep....

Thanks for the deal OP!

Wife and myself both received our $50 bonus. Wonder if we can do this (different offer) one also.

3v1l said: but thats not the deal is it? $100 on $1200 is 8.333%....Plus the cash sweep....

Ditto

Thanks OP! I am currently using eTrade but will soon move all my money to BoA because they offer 30 commission trades every month ($25K min.).I would like to have better trading tools, such as those etrade and TDAmeritrade offers. However, etrade charges inactive fee, so this offer comes in handy.

Thank you again!

Are there any fees to close the account and move the money somewhere else(once the year has passed)?

NantucketSunrise said: Last year around this time on FW there were a few threads about the first Suze Orman Save Yourself TD Ameritrade offer which was to open a new Ameritrade account, save $50 per month for 12 months, and get a $100 bonus at the end of it.

Several FW members reported that they got the $100 right on time, as promised. Therefore, I signed up for that deal in April of 2008 and am 4 months away from receiving the free $100 from TD Ameritrade.

Recently, I have searched the FW site several times to find those old threads on that deal (from the end of 2007) and there is absolutely no mention of them now in the search results. That's kind of strange - have a lot of the previous threads been deleted entirely from the forum history?

Anyway, I noticed recently that now Suze Orman has a new Save Yourself program this year -- deadline for signing up is December 31, 2008. The profit is a only half of last year's program -- $100 bonus for saving $1200 in 2008/9, versus $100 bonus for saving $600 in 2007/8. But it seems to me that it's not a bad rate of return for a very safe investment.

The link for the offer is here:
http://www.saveyourself.com/

By the way, this year you don't have to buy Suze Orman's book or any other products from her in order to open the account (you didn't REALLY need to last year either, although it was pitched in that way), and this time it seems to be just a TD Ameritrade offer with a bit of co-branding.

--
I've just noticed on their website that there are 2 different end dates for sign-up. One is Dec 31 2008 and one is 6/1/08. I've sent Ameritrade an email asking them to clarify the actual final date and when I hear back from them I'll edit this post accordingly.

Can you do the deal again if you participated in the first round?

Fees

I got screwed a few years back for $50. It looks like its $75 now. I could be wrong though.

-Pyrowu

pyrowu said: Fees

I got screwed a few years back for $50. It looks like its $75 now. I could be wrong though.

-Pyrowu

Those fees only apply if you transfer your entire account to another brokerage. There are no fees at all if you merely want to transfer your cash account balance back to your original bank account via electronic transfer. You can withdraw your money at any time, but if you do it before the 12 month promotime you lose the extra $100.

Your post worried me since I had just opened an account based on OP's post & so I called customer service and got the facts straight.

B0HEMIAN said: the other date is 6/1/09, not 08 so if you do it now it will be OK.

do men qualify for the bonus?

No, you have to send a picture to prove it.

-Men can do this too.

-I have been led to believe that you can withdraw the money after a year with no penalty. (Read the fine print that is on the offer.)

-You also earn interest on the money, besides the $100 bonus at the end of the year.

-I would think that those posters mentioning getting (or not getting) a $50 bonus are talking about a different program. The Suze Orman Save Yourself program of 2007/8 offered a $100 bonus. It's the same again this year (the bonus amount of $100).

-Note that I have just added to my original post Ameritrade's email response to my question about the offer deadline - they said that it's June 2009, not December 2008. ...at least for those who signed up for this program last year. I suppose, as in all things, YMMV.

-Looks like to be sure, you might want to check with Ameritrade yourself for your own eligibility.

-Can anyone find the FW threads about last year's program? Many FW'ers described their experience with this offer last year. That might answer any questions you have about withdrawing the money mid-stream and at the end, etc.

NantucketSunrise said: -Can anyone find the FW threads about last year's program? Many FW'ers described their experience with this offer last year. That might answer any questions you have about withdrawing the money mid-stream and at the end, etc.Here you go (it is archived, and thus wont come up a standard search)

Offer valid for one new TD AMERITRADE account (non-retirement) opened by 6/1/09 and funded by 12 monthly consecutive automatic electronic deposits of $100 or more.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how does one do automatic electronic deposits from ones checking account?

I think you can set up recurring deposit from your TD Ameritrade accoutn. That's what I am doing now.

my4mainecoons said: Offer valid for one new TD AMERITRADE account (non-retirement) opened by 6/1/09 and funded by 12 monthly consecutive automatic electronic deposits of $100 or more.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how does one do automatic electronic deposits from ones checking account?

3v1l said: but thats not the deal is it? $100 on $1200 is 8.333%....Plus the cash sweep....

Actually, it is a better APY than that since you don't deposit the whole 1200 up front. Using Excel XIRR formula, I calculate an APY of 15.66%, plus the 1% interest that Ameritrade pays.

This sounds good to me! I will look to see what is meant as non-retirement.

Contradicting Information.....

My email response from TDAmeritrade said:
Dear XXXX XXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for allowing me to assist you today. I contacted our promotions department and since you have already received the first promotion on an individual account you will not be eligible to receive the second promotion for $100.

If you have any questions please feel free to call us at 1-800-669-3900, or you may e-mail us through our secure web site by logging on to your account.

Have a great day!

For those who did the bonus last time, did they file a 1099 for the bonus?

anyone knows if they do a hard pull for openning account?

wca53 said: anyone knows if they do a hard pull for openning account?
none for myself or my wife

deleted

What is their routing number?

cruelsister said: But if you have a large balance and actually trade TDA isn't all that good. Stocks and option fees are certainly not the best and the cash sweep rate is 0.20% (or less). Better off with something like OptionsHouse- lo commissions and at 2.5% sweep. Plus the executions are way better. On the contrary, after about 2500 shares (it's less than IB .004/share) TD is the cheapest broker that has a decent data feed. Commissions are definitely too high for most, but for day trading I am fairly satisfied.

jrsmooth said: ...will soon move all my money to BoA because they offer 30 commission trades every month ($25K min.)... You realize that 25k min is in a checking account, not your trading account, earning little or no interest right? That was a deal killer for me.

cruelsister said: But if you have a large balance and actually trade TDA isn't all that good. Stocks and option fees are certainly not the best and the cash sweep rate is 0.20% (or less). Better off with something like OptionsHouse- lo commissions and at 2.5% sweep. Plus the executions are way better.

For AMTD, you have to request to be enrolled into the money market sweep account which offers a better rate than the default. Current rate is 1.5%.

I'd consider OptionsHouse but prefer a broker with Gainskeeper, it makes tax time a breeze.

@wca53
I opened a SaveYourself account earlier this year in March. It shows as a soft pull by Ameritrade on my credit report.

I have a few more months left of $50 auto deposits to receive my bonus in March/April 2009. I saw mention in this thread of possibly having to complete this program before starting the new 100/month for 100 bonus. Has anyone confirmed this is true or false? I may contact them soon myself to check.

The rate of return is pretty nice realizing we're not putting in $600 or $1200 upfront but gradually month by month.

Only valid for "new" accounts? Not valid for exisiting accounts?

In several email exchanges that I had with the customer service of TD Ameritrade, they confirmed that:

1. I can only begin the second offer after totally finishing the first offer -- after depositing for 12 months and receiving the $100 bonus in my account. This will be in March 2009 for me. I can then do whatever I want with the funds that are in that first account.

2. Between March and June 2009, I am allowed to open a NEW account in order to take advantage of the second/new $100 offer.

Therefore, you can't get the offer applied to an existing account, but it is easy (and they are happy for you) to open a new/additional account in your name via the web link I mentioned above for this offer. At least, that is what I have been told twice. I don't know if it would be different for other customers.

how do you make $100 deposit automatically? direct deposit is bi-weekly.

cohcoh said: how do you make $100 deposit automatically? direct deposit is bi-weekly.You can set up an automatic transfer with TDAmeritrade to pull $100 from your checking account each month.

I received a voice mail today from "Beau" at TD Ameritrade.

He sounded a bit like a salesman/broker type to me.

Did anyone else get a call too? Did you call back?

dugggg said: I received a voice mail today from "Beau" at TD Ameritrade.

He sounded a bit like a salesman/broker type to me.

Did anyone else get a call too? Did you call back?

Are you a new customer? They might be copying Schwab, a rep called me after I opened a new account asking if I had any questions and what were my expectations with the account...a nice touch I thought. Hopefully those with TD Ameritrade can verify if they got this call as well.

Anyone know what's the routing number of ameritrade? I called, They say they have no routing number. How could that be possible? How do I do automatic trasnfer of $100 per moth by ach if they have no routing number?

wca53 said: Anyone know what's the routing number of ameritrade? I called, They say they have no routing number. How could that be possible? How do I do automatic trasnfer of $100 per moth by ach if they have no routing number?You use their deposit system to pull from your checking account. But be aware if you plan to link to a savings account, they reverse the trial deposits which counts towards you 6 withdrawals for that.

Ipecac said: 3v1l said: but thats not the deal is it? $100 on $1200 is 8.333%....Plus the cash sweep....

Actually, it is a better APY than that since you don't deposit the whole 1200 up front. Using Excel XIRR formula, I calculate an APY of 15.66%, plus the 1% interest that Ameritrade pays.

Bravo! Very mathy.

It saids:

"Our records indicate that you already have an account. This new account does not qualify for an account-opening bonus."

From reading the previous posts, it sounds like you can qualify for the bonus, even if you did have an account.
Am I wrong?

cli168 said: It saids:

"Our records indicate that you already have an account. This new account does not qualify for an account-opening bonus."

From reading the previous posts, it sounds like you can qualify for the bonus, even if you did have an account.
Am I wrong?

Is there a final consensus about this?

Skipping 19 Messages...
CraigB71 said: Are we just assuming one has to leave the $1,200 in the account? Wouldn't the rules allow you to send the $100 right back where it came from after a day or two?
"Should you need to withdraw the money prior to the twelve-month commitment, you may withdraw all of your deposits plus interest earned. However you will forfeit the $100 bonus." See footnote at bottom of the FAQ page.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.