• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
websquirrel said:   Purchased some shoelaces from REI for $0.84. Thought I would charge it to my Chase Freedom card and get some free laces. Got a surprise statement with a bill today.
Yes, I also got a 99c Chase Freedom bill recently. I was surprised.

I had a 49c Capital One Sony Card bill cancelled out today. I needed to use it once to make it active after it had gotten closed due to inactivity, so I bought a stamp at the post office. Having the charge waived is a bonus. I should have bought 2!

rated:
BingBlangBlaow said:   We all should change to paper. Although, I don't really think Chase cares much about that waste. I just opened a Slate card and am still receiving pre-approval mailing for it.
Many years ago I had a $6 balance when I switched my service from AT&T Wireless (pre-Cingular), since I had foolishly paid my last bill before cancelling.  I asked to have a check mailed to me and they told me that they "absorbed" credits of under $10. I kept getting bills every month showing the $6 credit for a couple of years, even when they got bought by Cingular. Eventually I got a check in the mail and the statements stopped coming. I got a good chuckle over the amount of money they wasted on those statements, all because they wouldn't send me the $6 check when I asked for it.

rated:
billrubin said:   I had a 49c Capital One Sony Card bill cancelled out today. I needed to use it once to make it active after it had gotten closed due to inactivity, so I bought a stamp at the post office. Having the charge waived is a bonus. I should have bought 2!
Capital One cancels a small bill of $1 and under.
Simply using the credit card for a small amount may not work. Activity might be triggered only when a statement is generated.

rated:
Statements are generated whether the bill is canceled or not.

rated:
Does Cap1 do a small balance credit for $1 or only for $0.99 and under?

rated:
The answer is in the summary!
Yes, it would take me less time to just tell you, but I'm full of hate

rated:
Slightly off topic, but Hyundai Finance cancelled the remaining $21 on my loan as "small payment adjustment"

rated:
zjts said:   Does Cap1 do a small balance credit for $1 or only for $0.99 and under?
I don't know. Why don't you look at my post a few before yours to see if there are any current reports.

rated:
I read your post a few above mind before posting. DO not see where it is relevant to my question

rated:
chuzzlewit said:   Slightly off topic, but Hyundai Finance cancelled the remaining $21 on my loan as "small payment adjustment"
  That's awesome. On the other hand my wife's Nelnet owned federal student loans required me to pay the last outstanding penny.

rated:
chuzzlewit said:   Slightly off topic, but Hyundai Finance cancelled the remaining $21 on my loan as "small payment adjustment"
Infiniti cancelled $16 on my loan.  They didn't say anything about it; I made a $16 payment through a billpay service, and that payment was returned to me.  On Infiniti's website, where it shows the previous payment I made, the Principal Balance was $16 less than it should be (seems to have magically changed to the amount of my previous payment), and it shows the Transaction Type as Payoff Payment instead of Regular Payment.  Later, their website showed my account as closed, and I got the title in the mail, and a letter saying the contract obligation has been satisfied.
I wonder what the cutoff amount is for cancelling car loans...

rated:
zjts said:   I read your post a few above mind before posting. DO not see where it is relevant to my question
Good point, I misread your post. But someone responded to me saying that they cancel $1 or less.  And the summary has reports that they have credited a $1 charge as recently as last year.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
  That's awesome. On the other hand my wife's Nelnet owned federal student loans required me to pay the last outstanding penny.

One time I closed a deposit account with $0.01 left.  They actually sent me a Cashier's check for a penny, I kept it hanging on my refrigerator for a couple of years as a conversation piece.

rated:
chuzzlewit said:   stanolshefski said:   

One time I closed a deposit account with $0.01 left.  They actually sent me a Cashier's check for a penny, I kept it hanging on my refrigerator for a couple of years as a conversation piece.

Hope you mobile deposited it. That's 1 penny more for the bank to profit!!!

rated:
billrubin said:   
zjts said:   I read your post a few above mind before posting. DO not see where it is relevant to my question
Good point, I misread your post. But someone responded to me saying that they cancel $1 or less.  And the summary has reports that they have credited a $1 charge as recently as last year.

As recently as last year chase was crediting 0.99.... so that is why I asked if Cap1 is currently doing $1 small balance credits

rated:
Associated Bank (Elan) billed at $1.00 for March statement.
Past posters have experienced a single billing per year, with cancellations 11 out of 12 months. Will check again next month.

rated:
weezyrob said:   Associated Bank (Elan) billed at $1.00 for March statement.
Past posters have experienced a single billing per year, with cancellations 11 out of 12 months. Will check again next month.

I've seen a couple USBank-issued store credit cards with a similar "feature". One statement a year there is a '$0 annual fee' transaction. For some reason this confuses the system and you don't get the $0.99 credit.

rated:
invisible said:   
Glitch99 said:   
invisible said:   
I am not even sure how long they withhold showing the 99c charge .. maybe the strategy going towards not diusplaying such charge at all, all the way until statement close when the charge abnd refund show up at same time, and if you goof up like I did that month then send the bill.....maybe others with barclays Bills Extra Points can comment... maybe they are rolling this out in batches/phases...

I greatly doubt there's any "strategy" involved. It's probably a quirk wih the merchant you use, or their posting schedule and time of day you are checking.

I'd worry more about figuring out a way to better keep track of what you've done for the month.

Likely no quirk with the merchant, which is Amazon. Many here use that.  Reasonable to assume they have not changed any reporting time line.

Just that since last several months Barclays (or specific card there in that I have) stopped the immediate display of such sub dollar temporary authorizations, intentional or not. Maybe others with same card will post of they also stopped seeing temp auths for <$1.

While  Barclays temporary authorizations with Amazon 99c continues to not show since last several (6? plus) months that used to show immediately before that period  (duh, temporary auth meant for quickly showing un-posted transactions), now notice after some experimentation that even after statement cut off note to me via email, the temporary auth continues to not show at all. So surely something broken if not intentional.  But I am not planning to alert them top fix that lest someone closes this trickle cash cow from their side. 

rated:
Bump to prevent archiving and to update. PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature Card cancelled at $0.99

rated:
Same as guy above. Updating my current experience.

Penfed Promise cancelled at $1.00
Discover It cancelled at $1.99
Wells Fargo Propel World cancelled at $1.99
Capital One Venture cancelled at $1.00

These small balance credits were as of this months statement 5/2015

rated:
Anyone know if the quicksilver platinum Capital One visa & ms's also crdet a small balance of $1.00? thx

rated:
zjts said:   Anyone know if the quicksilver platinum Capital One visa & ms's also crdet a small balance of $1.00? thx
  I think every Cap One owner/managed ard does except the GM cards do.

rated:
Nice that Wells Fargo Propel at 1.99, have that card didn't realize.

rated:
Barclay Rewards MC cancelled at $0.98, May 2015 statement

rated:
FNBO (La Quinta Visa) billed at $.78 on 6/3/15.

Continuing to do $1.99 Discover, $.99 USBank, Barclay and Capital One monthly with complete success.  Haven't tried Chase since late November '14; I'm presuming they still aren't forgiving.

Chris.

rated:
deleted

rated:
PenFed VISA Platinum Cash Rewards billed $0.62.

rated:
I've been doing this on my Discover bill for months now. I only save $1.99 but it brings $5 worth of joy.

rated:
from quick summary on p1 US Bank Cash+ Visa canceled $0.59 (May 2013)
US Bank Cash+ Visa canceled $0.99 (June 2013)
US Bank Cash+ Visa billed $0.99
My USBank Cash+ statement closed 11/25/14 did write off 99˘. was postd by cpaynter 12-15-2014

My US Bank Flexperks Visa &  Travel rewards Visa are still canceling 0.99 as of 8-13-2015, but does Cash+ also cancel 0.99? experiences posted here will be apprciated

rated:
Bank of America recently billed me for thirty some-odd cents!

I paid up, too.  Had to call Alliant to ask, with much expressed embarrassment and apology, whether they would allow such a small payment to be made using their bill payer system.  They were very nice and said it was OK.

That B of A card went back into the sock drawer so fast . . . . . 

rated:
shinobi1 said:   Bank of America recently billed me for thirty some-odd cents!

I paid up, too.  Had to call Alliant to ask, with much expressed embarrassment and apology, whether they would allow such a small payment to be made using their bill payer system.  They were very nice and said it was OK.

That B of A card went back into the sock drawer so fast . . . . . 

Why didn't you convert it to Better Balance?

rated:
Fidelity AmEx just gave me a small balance credit for $1.00, where previously they've billed for any amount, even pennies.  This lends credibility to the poster who had warned that he got a small balance credit on his BBR, disqualifying him for the $25/$30 quarterly reward.  I'm going to make sure I have at least $2 on each statement on my BBR cards.  And I'm going to be leaving a $1.99 balance on my Fido AmEx.

Chris.

rated:
Cap One QuickSilver cancelled at $1.    9/2015.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015