• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
scripta said:   ^^^ the last report of Fido success was in 2013, I think, and even that was sporadic.
  
Actually, I reported just a couple of months ago that I got a $1.00 small balance credit on my Fido AmEx.  Since then, I've tried $1.99 and $1.49, but no credit.  It must be hit-or-miss.  Still, I'm making sure my BBR cards report at least a $2 balance each statement, to make sure I get my $30.

Chris.

rated:
This thread is so rediculous. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

I'm surprised all CC issuers don't just charge the full amount. It's weird you still have a few exceptions but who is charging such small purchases. My min purchase is always higher.

A small purchase to me is roughly 3.00.

Lots of small business don't even take credit cards for small balances. Vending machines for mass transit would run just under three dollars. Big chains like 7-11 or McDonalds would accept CC but who is just getting a coffee and isn't that even over the small balance amounts.

rated:
deeder said:   This thread is so rediculous. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

I'm surprised all CC issuers don't just charge the full amount. It's weird you still have a few exceptions but who is charging such small purchases. My min purchase is always higher.

A small purchase to me is roughly 3.00.

Lots of small business don't even take credit cards for small balances. Vending machines for mass transit would run just under three dollars. Big chains like 7-11 or McDonalds would accept CC but who is just getting a coffee and isn't that even over the small balance amounts.

  Or...you can charge away for the month and pay all but a small balance, i.e. $1.99 on Discover, prior to your statement closing date, and then you get a free credit.

rated:
Don't feed (or spoonfeed) the troll.

rated:
Some banks will cancel large bills (e.g. balances of $25+) if you simply don't pay. Just stop using the card, ignore the bill for around 6 months or so, let the late fees and interest pile up, and they will eventually close the account. They will then send a final bill showing a zero balance, so nothing owed!

To my surprise, it's not too bad on the credit score either. Not sure why.. maybe has to be a regular occurrence.

deeder said:   This thread is so rediculous. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Indeed you can get a free lunch. Just go to your favorite restaurant and pay using a credit card you no longer need. Then do nothing, and it goes away eventually. After they close the account and zero the balance, you can even call them and offer to pay. They don't take it. They just say apply again if you want another card.

rated:
weevisfree said:   Some banks will cancel large bills (e.g. balances of $25+) if you simply don't pay. Just stop using the card, ignore the bill for around 6 months or so, let the late fees and interest pile up, and they will eventually close the account. They will then send a final bill showing a zero balance, so nothing owed!

To my surprise, it's not too bad on the credit score either. Not sure why.. maybe has to be a regular occurrence.

deeder said:   This thread is so rediculous. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Indeed you can get a free lunch. Just go to your favorite restaurant and pay using a credit card you no longer need. Then do nothing, and it goes away eventually. After they close the account and zero the balance, you can even call them and offer to pay. They don't take it. They just say apply again if you want another card.

The worst advice.

rated:
stanolshefski said:   
The worst advice.

  
Why do you think it was "advice"?

Someone said "no such thing as a free lunch", and the BS was countered with fact. It's a factual account of events that actually happened. This is not untested speculation, apart from having a restaurant charge the card (why would that make a difference?). Absorb the facts, or be ignorant. Whether you exploit them is another matter.

As for whether my claims can somehow be converted into advice, consider a case where you have around 4 or so months of extortionate late fees, incurred accidentally because you weren't paying attention. I suppose you would consider it good advice at that point to pay it off immediately. I would say the contrary if your credit record isn't fragile and teetering below 700. Occasionally, there is a free lunch if you know how to get it.

rated:
weevisfree said:   
stanolshefski said:   
The worst advice.

  
Why do you think it was "advice"?

Someone said "no such thing as a free lunch", and the BS was countered with fact. It's a factual account of events that actually happened. This is not untested speculation, apart from having a restaurant charge the card (why would that make a difference?). Absorb the facts, or be ignorant. Whether you exploit them is another matter.

As for whether my claims can somehow be converted into advice, consider a case where you have around 4 or so months of extortionate late fees, incurred accidentally because you weren't paying attention. I suppose you would consider it good advice at that point to pay it off immediately. I would say the contrary if your credit record isn't fragile and teetering below 700. Occasionally, there is a free lunch if you know how to get it.

  Just because it has happened and might happen; it isnt standard procedure, realizing that outcome is nowhere close to being a fact.  You are taking a risk that it backfires, which makes it anything but free.

Might as well state that there is free clothes at WalMart too, because you know of someone who walked right out with a handful and no one stopped him. 

rated:
Glitch99 said:   
  Just because it has happened and might happen; it isnt standard procedure, realizing that outcome is nowhere close to being a fact.

Regarding fact, are you claiming it's a matter of opinion that the bank closed the account and sent a statement with a zero balance? Is it an opinion that when the account holder calls and offers to pay, the bank made no accommodations to accept a payment?
Glitch99 said:   
Might as well state that there is free clothes at WalMart too, because you know of someone who walked right out with a handful and no one stopped him. 

In your WalMart analogy, the shoplifter escapes detection. In the case I describe, the account holder does not escape detection. It's all in a database, processed by algorithms. Policies and procedures guide staff on manual actions.

rated:
weevisfree said:   
Glitch99 said:   
  Just because it has happened and might happen; it isnt standard procedure, realizing that outcome is nowhere close to being a fact.

 

Regarding fact, are you claiming it's a matter of opinion that the bank closed the account and sent a statement with a zero balance? Is it an opinion that when the account holder calls and offers to pay, the bank made no accommodations to accept a payment?

If you are so confident this is a result you can count on, then start a new thread about not paying your credit card bill with no repercussions. See how consistently that result can be replicated. How many times have you actually replicated it?

You can be of the opinion that the fact it has happened before means it will always happen, but you are taking a rather large risk each time you attempt to execute that plan. Unlike a small balance credit, where if you don't receive the expected result, you simply pay off the balance with zero repercussions.
  

rated:
weevisfree said:   
stanolshefski said:   
The worst advice.

  
Why do you think it was "advice"?

Someone said "no such thing as a free lunch", and the BS was countered with fact. It's a factual account of events that actually happened. This is not untested speculation, apart from having a restaurant charge the card (why would that make a difference?). Absorb the facts, or be ignorant. Whether you exploit them is another matter.

As for whether my claims can somehow be converted into advice, consider a case where you have around 4 or so months of extortionate late fees, incurred accidentally because you weren't paying attention. I suppose you would consider it good advice at that point to pay it off immediately. I would say the contrary if your credit record isn't fragile and teetering below 700. Occasionally, there is a free lunch if you know how to get it.

  Such great advice from new FWF accounts lately...

rated:
US Bank cash+ cancelled $0.45
Chase Marriott billed $0.95

rated:
rfclub said:   US Bank cash+ cancelled $0.45
Chase Marriott billed $0.95

  Chase now bills at all amounts.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016