• filter:
  • 178910 11
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
A few of us had random success with FIA in the middle of last year. New year, tried again for $0.99. Billed.

rated:
Fidelity Visa (FIA) billed at 99¢ again this month.

rated:
Wow, Citi Dividend card billed me for 1 cent !  

I purchased something larger > 15 bucks online for which used up a eGC and 1 cent remained that I charged in Citi and they billed!

So beware...

rated:
BankAmericard Rewards Signature Visa (FIA) billed at 99¢ this month.

rated:
GM cards still appear to be billing all balances, even after the move from HSBC to Capitol One.

rated:
GE Capital Retail Bank (WalMart Discover) billed at $0.68 (Nov 2013) 
Anyone try a small balance credit on the WalMart Discover recently?

rated:
USBank Kroger 1-2-3 Rewards Visa billed $0.99 last statement.

rated:
Express and the Limited (Comenity) write off 1.99 and lower. I've tested this at 2.00 and it doesn't work.

I always thought this was just a Comenity thing since I tried it with Citi before and it didn't work.  Nice to see it looks like some other banks do this, can probably get a few more dollars a month out of Chase and Capital One .

rated:
I didn't read the thread, but does anyone know if this works the month after the purchase? For example, if I spend $20 today, and then my bill comes on June 15th for $20, and I pay $18.01, will my balance on my July 15th bill be $0, or will I get hit with interest and have to pay it?

I'm curious if I can both get a balance to report to the credit agencies but also get the free $1.99.

rated:
gh117 said:   I didn't read the thread, but does anyone know if this works the month after the purchase? For example, if I spend $20 today, and then my bill comes on June 15th for $20, and I pay $18.01, will my balance on my July 15th bill be $0, or will I get hit with interest and have to pay it?

I'm curious if I can both get a balance to report to the credit agencies but also get the free $1.99.

I'm curious why you'd want a balance to be reported in the first place?

Every issuer can be different so there is no rule beyond trial and error with the specific card, but in general what will happen is you pay off $18.01 of the balance, then on the next statement interest will be charged on the average daily balance (not just the remaining $1.99 balance), which then pushes your outstanding balance above the threshold for the small balance credit.  Pay off $18.20 (leaving a $1.80 balance), and as long as the interest charges are no more than $.19, my guess is it will be canceled.  But doing so may also mess with your grace period, too, since you are now carrying a balance.

rated:
Glitch99 said:   
gh117 said:   I didn't read the thread, but does anyone know if this works the month after the purchase? For example, if I spend $20 today, and then my bill comes on June 15th for $20, and I pay $18.01, will my balance on my July 15th bill be $0, or will I get hit with interest and have to pay it?

I'm curious why you'd want a balance to be reported in the first place?

Every issuer can be different so there is no rule beyond trial and error with the specific card, but in general what will happen is you pay off $18.01 of the balance, then on the next statement interest will be charged on the average daily balance (not just the remaining $1.99 balance), which then pushes your outstanding balance above the threshold for the small balance credit.  Pay off $18.20 (leaving a $1.80 balance), and as long as the interest charges are no more than $.19, my guess is it will be canceled.  But doing so may also mess with your grace period, too, since you are now carrying a balance.

That answers my question.  I guess I was trying to determine if they did the write off before or after they did the interest calculation/whether it would mess up the grace period, etc.

Just as a habit, I don't think it really makes a difference, I like to have all of my cards show some use at least occasionally on my credit reports.  Since I've been doing this 1.99 thing for Comenity for years, neither card has shown a balance on my credit report in forever and I was thinking about letting a balance show up.  (Normally it shows the statement balance, even if you pay in full each month, but with the small balance write-offs, my statements are always $0.)

rated:
Do they really charge interest on the entire $20 in that case? I've never paid interest on a credit card so I really have no idea how it works - always assumed it was just on the $1.99. Interesting.

rated:
gh117 said:   Do they really charge interest on the entire $20 in that case? I've never paid interest on a credit card so I really have no idea how it works - always assumed it was just on the $1.99. Interesting.
  Interest is charged on only $1.99, but you are paying interest starting from the date the bill was generated. You only get a grace period for the portion of the charge that you paid on time ($18.01)..

If your previous bill was $20 bill, and you want your next statement to close with a $1.99 balance you would be better off by having a new charge and pay off the previous bill entirely.  For example, make a new charge on your credit card for atleast $1.99 and then make a payment of $20.00 (or whatever amount needed to make the balance $1.99).. Then there is no interest to worry about..

rated:
Penfed billed at 31 cents

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014