• filter:
  • 12 3 4512
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
cyberkost said: EugeneV said: cyberkost said: PNC cancels @ $0.99, woohoo!

But they report $1 balance to the credit bureaus!!!
Actually, probably true for all ELAN-issued cards.

Yep, I noticed that too ... it's good in a sense that card utilization is documented, but for a mildly intelligent human looking at such a credit report it'll be obvious that (s)he is looking at a credit report of a "gamer" ... I guess if I had a choice I'd have chosen $0 balance reported.
I believe Elan cards update by calander month, not statement period. So you need to wait to place the charge until after the first of the month, but prior to that month's statement date.

rated:
Recent Advanta datapoint. $0.99 canceled:
05/08/2009 05/08/2009 ACCOUNT ADJUSTMENT ($0.99)

rated:
anyone know about Target Visa or Chevron/Texaco card (non-Visa)? if not, guess I'll have to try with some 99c sodas and find out. both are PIF anyway and I don't always have activity on the Target every month so it would be good info

rated:
cyberkost said: EugeneV said: cyberkost said: PNC cancels @ $0.99, woohoo!

But they report $1 balance to the credit bureaus!!!
Actually, probably true for all ELAN-issued cards.

Yep, I noticed that too ... it's good in a sense that card utilization is documented, but for a mildly intelligent human looking at such a credit report it'll be obvious that (s)he is looking at a credit report of a "gamer" ... I guess if I had a choice I'd have chosen $0 balance reported.

no, it could just signify a recurring charge. I have an old $15k life insurance policy which bills around $1 a month

and there's no telling if someone has a 99c balance every month if it's being reported as $1 or $0 by creditor X or creditor Y, until they go into their CR and verify it.

rated:
Regarding PNC/ELAN reporting, the point was, you will have yet another account reported with above 0 utilization. And the % of accounts with balances is one of your FICO score ingredients. This $1 reported balance did cost me a couple of points (verified via myFICO.com).

rated:
Wachovia Signature VISA billed for $1.99 on 06/23/2009. Next step verifying if they still cancel at $1.00 as reported in QS.

rated:
Kroger Personal Finance (RBS) billed $0.39.

rated:
all within the past 60 days (approx May 2009)

CHASE personal billed $1.99
AMEX clear billed for $1.99
Principal (Infibank) billed for $0.99
HSBC GMFlex billed for $0.07
SECU credit card billed for $0.99

CHASE personal credit adjustment $0.99
M & T Biz card credit adjustment $0.61

rated:
alpinewhite said: walletfart said: While interesting, is it really worth spending time on $1.99/month with Discover? You'd have to be aware of the small amount, and verify your statement for the credit.(#ofchasecards + #ofdiscovercards) * $1.99 adds up. Do this 12 times year and you could be a millionaire in 8,192 years even without interest.Is anyone using Discover Current card for $1.99 monthly loads from their Wells Fargo/Zion Bank card? How about $0.99 loads from several of the other cardtypes?

rated:
jackcrawfish said: alpinewhite said: walletfart said: While interesting, is it really worth spending time on $1.99/month with Discover? You'd have to be aware of the small amount, and verify your statement for the credit.(#ofchasecards + #ofdiscovercards) * $1.99 adds up. Do this 12 times year and you could be a millionaire in 8,192 years even without interest.Is anyone using Discover Current card for $1.99 monthly loads from their Wells Fargo/Zion Bank card? How about $0.99 loads from several of the other cardtypes?I'm sure the Current Card has a max limit for number of funding sources; not sure if it'd be worth adding a card for $11.88 in charges per year.

rated:
capital one credited for 0.99

rated:
Associated Bank billed at $0.99

rated:
CHASE personal (former WAMU card) billed for $1.34
US Bank billed for $1.99

rated:
Sears master card credited for 0.99

rated:
BofA billed for $0.10

rated:
g10ny said: BofA billed for $0.10

I can beat you. B of A billed me for $.01

rated:
chase only cancels at 0.99 and lower.

rated:
cyberkost said: Wachovia Signature VISA billed for $1.99 on 06/23/2009. Next step verifying if they still cancel at $1.00 as reported in QS.
7/23 -- Wachovia Signature VISA billed for $0.99 as well. I guess QS entry dates back to when Wachovia was not part of Wells Fargo and things may have been different.

rated:
My BofA Personal line of credit generated a $2.26 interest charge for the month (a $10k balance outstanding for 1 day).

The principle balance was zero as of the statement, and the statement canceled out the $2.26 as a small balance adjustment. Its likely a principle balance of ~$2 would also be canceled, will find out next month.

rated:
cyberkost said: cyberkost said: Wachovia Signature VISA billed for $1.99 on 06/23/2009. Next step verifying if they still cancel at $1.00 as reported in QS.7/23 -- Wachovia Signature VISA billed for $0.99 as well. I guess QS entry dates back to when Wachovia was not part of Wells Fargo and things may have been different.Wells Fargo Platinum credited $0.99:

Trans. Date   	Posting Date    Description   	     Amount
08/21/2009 	08/21/2009 	ACCOUNT ADJUSTMENT   +$0.99

rated:
Here's a good one. My Discover statement closed the 20th of last month, and I sceduled a payment to hit that day leaving the $1.99 balance for them to forgive. Unfortunately, I used a bill pay that I hadn't in some time, and Discover had changed my account number in the meantime, so it didn't get credited and I figured I had forfeited the $1.99. Amazingly, last night they found the payment, posted it as if it were done on the 20th, and even decided to forgive the $1.99 retroactively. I won't spend it all in one place, don't worry.

rated:
Discover just gave me a "small balance credit" for $1.06. That's the first I'd heard of the practice, but I knew I'd find a discussion here!

rated:
workingonit said: Discover just gave me a "small balance credit" for $1.06. That's the first I'd heard of the practice, but I knew I'd find a discussion here!I've been getting small balance credits of $1.99 on 2 Discover cards for the last year or so.

rated:
HSBC billed at $0.93 on statement. However, it is listing $0.00 minimum payment due online now.

rated:
I have a Citi card set up for auto pay. Last month the balance was $1.66 and they did not auto pay and instead charged me 0.50 finance charge. It turns out that they do not auto pay an amount less than $10.00 so no payment was made.

rated:
doniam said: I have a Citi card set up for auto pay. Last month the balance was $1.66 and they did not auto pay and instead charged me 0.50 finance charge. It turns out that they do not auto pay an amount less than $10.00 so no payment was made.dirty rotten scoundrels

rated:
Are these for paper statements only or does it work the same for online statements?

rated:
AMEX gave me a credit..I sent in .15 cents too little and she adjusted it over the phone..

rated:
SegaRob said: Are these for paper statements only or does it work the same for online statements?

I have the same question.

For those of you getting your small balances forgiven, do you have paper or e-statements?

rated:
IamN41 said: SegaRob said: Are these for paper statements only or does it work the same for online statements?

I have the same question.

For those of you getting your small balances forgiven, do you have paper or e-statements?
E-statements for me (Discover and M&T).

rated:
i can understand forgivig a small charge if its the only charge on the bill, but what is the point of paying all but a dollar on a bill? there must be method to the madness, so what is the purpose of doing so?

rated:
$0.99 not paid is $0.99 earned?

rated:
Does anyone know if self-checkout computers at grocery stores will allow partial payments on multiple cards? I know I can go to the register and split it into at least two forms of payment... but if I could do it by myself at self-checkout, it might be more appealing.

edit: Found out that they won't do partial payments without a manager's code. (You'd need to call help over to your station.)

rated:
For those interested...

I have a recurring $1.00 donation on my HHonors AMEX card, and have had it for about 1 year (I get extra HHonors points each month for doing so).

Anyways, 50% of the $1.00 bills were waived with the SMALL BALANCE WRITE-OFF PURCHASE PRINCIPLE and the remaining 50% were billed to me and I had to pay. And yes, this happened every other billing period (pay, no need to pay, pay, no need to pay etc...). I'm not sure if it was a timing thing or what, but either way, something to watch out for.

That may explain why some are billed for AMEX and some are not in the QS.

rated:
Floydian said: For those interested...

I have a recurring $1.00 donation on my HHonors AMEX card, and have had it for about 1 year (I get extra HHonors points each month for doing so).

Anyways, 50% of the $1.00 bills were waived with the SMALL BALANCE WRITE-OFF PURCHASE PRINCIPLE and the remaining 50% were billed to me and I had to pay. And yes, this happened every other billing period (pay, no need to pay, pay, no need to pay etc...). I'm not sure if it was a timing thing or what, but either way, something to watch out for.

hmm.. interesting. i tested my AMEX cards and was billed at .99
were you billed on even or odd months?

rated:
yelve said: Floydian said: For those interested...

hmm.. interesting. i tested my AMEX cards and was billed at .99
were you billed on even or odd months?

Even months received the small balance write-off for me (i.e., June, August, October...)

As far as the timeline goes, the $1.00 was charged/donated on either the 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th of the month, and all the $1.00 small balance write-offs were placed the day the statement was generated (which was the 13/14th of the month in my case, even months only as noted above).

rated:
The opposite of a small balance credit ...

Principal Visa from 2007 AOR...

I have had a $0.99 credit balance for 7 months and they still have not sent me a check.

I guess I'll use the card (I'd hate to lose a 20k line due to inactivity).

rated:
jackcrawfish said: The opposite of a small balance credit ...

Principal Visa from 2007 AOR...

I have had a $0.99 credit balance for 7 months and they still have not sent me a check.

I guess I'll use the card (I'd hate to lose a 20k line due to inactivity).

I'm more shocked they still haven't absorbed the credit into themselves as an account readjustment to their advantage.

rated:
hmm. i just got my sonycard statement "points earned form everyday purchases -1"
does this mean if i keep it up ill have to send them Sony stuff?

rated:
Bump.
My Providian, now rebranded as a Chase card, still cancels at .99 cents.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014