• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
US Bank Cash Rewards VISA cancelled at $0.33.

rated:
Anyone still getting $1.00 small bal credits on CAP1 cards or is 0.99 the max ?thx

rated:
zjts said:   Anyone still getting $1.00 small bal credits on CAP1 cards or is 0.99 the max ?thx1.00

rated:
Has anyone had luck with this tactic on store cards (Target RedCard, Cabela's VISA, GAPcard, etc.)? I'm willing to experiment, but won't bother if it's already been shown to be a dead end.

rated:
prokopon said:   Has anyone had luck with this tactic on store cards (Target RedCard, Cabela's VISA, GAPcard, etc.)? I'm willing to experiment, but won't bother if it's already been shown to be a dead end.
Try it out and let us know.

rated:
Target RedCard VISA charged at $0.33.

rated:
PNC billed at $1.99.

rated:
Fidelity (FIA) VISA didn't cancel the 99 residual balance this time around.

New Balance Total ............................................................................$0.99
Current Payment Due ........................................................................$0.99

Maybe its an every other month thing... like the AMEX which bills and cancels on odd/even months respectively (see summary)
If so, I will leave another 99 balance this month to see what happens.

Hopefully that will work.

rated:
KYBOSH said:   Fidelity (FIA) VISA didn't cancel the 99 residual balance this time around.

New Balance Total ............................................................................$0.99
Current Payment Due ........................................................................$0.99

Maybe its an every other month thing... like the AMEX which bills and cancels on odd/even months respectively (see summary)

I came to report that I didn't get the credit this month. Make sure you pay your 0.99 this month as it should be the minimum due.

rated:
Has anyone noticed any correlation between having ebills vs paper bills selected and having a small charge get cancelled?

rated:
Zoot said:   Has anyone noticed any correlation between having ebills vs paper bills selected and having a small charge get cancelled?
Irrelevant.

rated:
BingBlangBlaow said:   KYBOSH said:   Fidelity (FIA) VISA didn't cancel the 99 residual balance this time around.

I came to report that I didn't get the credit this month. Make sure you pay your 0.99 this month as it should be the minimum due.

I was billed at $0.01 (yes i am cheap). Now I cannot make 0.01 bill payment on their website. Their stupid site does not allow me to do that. How do you pay $0.99 electronically?

rated:
I use BillPay with Ally and can pay 99 cents.

rated:
GE Capital Bank (GAP VISA) billed at $0.31

rated:
I don't have a billpay that can do anything for less than $1.. It doesn't matter much though. After paying off minimum payment, you still need to charge atleast $.99 in new charges to maintain the statement balance at $.99. All of the billpay providers I'm familiar with can pay $1.00, so just make $x.xx in new charges and pay off $x.xx to maintain the $.99 balance.

This is what I do with AMEX:

Month #1
Charge $x.xx
pay $x.xx - $.99
billed for $.99

Month #2
charge $y.yy
pay $y.yy
$.99 written off
Billed for $0.00

Minimum for AMEX seems to be $.99.. If the bill at the end of either month#1 or month#2 is $1.00 it doesn't work, despite what is stated in the quick summary

rated:
tomprc said:   
I was billed at $0.01 (yes i am cheap). Now I cannot make 0.01 bill payment on their website. Their stupid site does not allow me to do that. How do you pay $0.99 electronically?

Interesting problem.
Try calling in to see if they will waive it.
I imagine they will tell you to charge something on your card so you can pay it off the whole balance with billpay.

rated:
US Bank Cash+ canceled at $0.99
Wells Fargo biz canceled at $0.99
Citizens canceled at $0.99

ETA: Citizens also does not show the $0.99 transaction or the adjustment transaction on the paper statement.

rated:
I noticed something last night when I made an Amazon.com purchase.

I funded my Amazon account with gift card purchases. I redeemed my gift cards (applied them to my account) and then I made an item purchase (not gift cards). My Amazon credits balance was not quite enough to purchase the item outright. When I was checking out, instead of charging the final .38 cents to my credit card, it skipped that screen and went straight to the order complete screen.

It looks like there's a way to do this repetitively:
1) Determine cost of your Amazon purchase after checkout.
2) Purchase gift card for an amount that is reduced by X where X is at least 38 cents (possibly up to 2.00??) less than step 1.
3) apply gift cards to your account.
4) purchase items from step 1.
5) save X.

edit: ok, so somewhere between .38 and 1.16. Ty bluechalk!

rated:
highmktgoods said:   I noticed something last night when I made an Amazon.com purchase.
Here's another datapoint. I recently had an Amazon purchase where the gift card balance was $1.17 less than the purchase price. Amazon charged my credit card for 1.17. So, it doesn't work for balances this high.

rated:
A different US Bank Cash+ billed at $0.98. And since I assumed that it is canceled, I forgot to check and pay it. So now I owe $1 late fee on top of that. They earned it Now I just have to remember that I have no grace period this month.

rated:
fidelity AMEX billed at $.50!

i wasn't try to game the system. it's a real charge from a register.com
promotion... i have auto pay enabled on the account... don't know how it's going to be paid.

rated:
Liquidity crunch?

rated:
bluechalk said:   highmktgoods said:   I noticed something last night when I made an Amazon.com purchase.
Here's another datapoint. I recently had an Amazon purchase where the gift card balance was $1.17 less than the purchase price. Amazon charged my credit card for 1.17. So, it doesn't work for balances this high.

They charged me at 99

rated:
naas said:   bluechalk said:   highmktgoods said:   I noticed something last night when I made an Amazon.com purchase.

They charged me at 99
Sounds like they may be smart enough to not charge the card when their processing costs will be more than the amount. Although they still sell small gift cards...

rated:
My Fidelity Visa did not cancel $.99 for the 2nd month in a row. Now I have to get this down to $0 and they won't allow a $.99 payment on their site.

rated:
BingBlangBlaow said:   My Fidelity Visa did not cancel $.99 for the 2nd month in a row. Now I have to get this down to $0 and they won't allow a $.99 payment on their site.
Buy $0.15 Amazon gift card, make $1.14 payment. Most online bill payment systems allow you to make $1+ payments.

rated:
Thank you. It is $1 minimum. I was going to do something similar. I'm done trying with FIA unless someone posts that it works more consistently than has been reported.

rated:
I can confirm, at least for this month, my US Bank Cash+ canceled $0.99. This amount was a leftover from a small purchase I partially paid off before the statement hit.

EugeneV said:   A different US Bank Cash+ billed at $0.98. And since I assumed that it is canceled, I forgot to check and pay it. So now I owe $1 late fee on top of that. They earned it Now I just have to remember that I have no grace period this month.

rated:
I accidentally charged a small purchase via google play to an old Discover card a couple weeks ago. $1.98 canceled.

This will be an excellent fit for my comixology acquisitions - lots of stuff at .99 each. Some of it always, some via weekly sales. Mine were actually two separate purchases, I think google groups them and even changed the 2nd from a different payment card selection.

rated:
BingBlangBlaow said:   My Fidelity Visa did not cancel $.99 for the 2nd month in a row. Now I have to get this down to $0 and they won't allow a $.99 payment on their site.

Do a payment for $1.
It works.

rated:
Fidelity charged billed me for 74. I was supposed to pay down to $0 but wanted to try a lesser amount.
Will definitely pay it completely off next month and see.

rated:
FIA billed at $.99, now 2 consecutive months. I'm done fooling around with them, at least for now.

On US Bank/Elan there appears to be some inconsistencies on billing/cancelling. My experience has been that they will bill once per calendar year and cancel the other 11 months at $1.

Lastly, with Orchard/HSBC card conversions to CapitalOne, I think these may cancel at $1 now.

rated:
So I made a stupid post some time ago about my experiment of buying 80-90 cent Amazon GCs on each of my dozen credit cards, including some long-dormant ones. Amazon blocked my account for half a day to investigate the abnormal activity. (small charges can be suspect, as CC thieves may "test" a card before making large charges. So it's kinda understandable.) Surprisingly though, none of the CC companies called to inquire about the charge...not even on cards that haven't been used in 2-3 years!

Edit: Here's the results, July 2013. As expected, Barclays, CapitalOne, Chase, USBank, USAA canceled; Citi did not. That's more or less consistent with the results in the wikipost for this thread. But here goes:

Yay: (did cancel bill)
Chase Amazon.com Visa- $0.00 balance
CapitalOne Sony Card - $0.00 balance
USBank ADA Visa (former Citi) - $0.00 balance
USBank Linux Visa - $0.00 balance
Barclays NFL MC - $0.00 balance
USAA Platinum MC - $0.00 balance

Nay: (did not cancel bill)
Citi ThankYou Preferred MC - $0.89 balance
Citi Forward Visa - $0.85 balance

I might try it again on some cards and post further results whenever that happens.

rated:
Crate and Barrel credit card canceled a $1.50 bill I had.

rated:
BofA Better Balance Rewards canceled $1 on the due day! I scheduled payment for it before 6 PM EST on the same day.

rated:
Pay $1.

Make those bastards send you a check for $0.01.

rated:
EugeneV said:   BofA Better Balance Rewards canceled $1 on the due day! I scheduled payment for it before 6 PM EST on the same day.That's pretty sneaky, billing for the $1 but still zeroing it out if you dont pay - virtually impossible to test without risking a late payment...

rated:
Moosy said:   Crate and Barrel credit card canceled a $1.50 bill I had.
Issued by Comenity Bank? Never heard of it - is that another bank focused on store-branded cards rather than Visas/MCs?

rated:
Glitch99 said:   Moosy said:   Crate and Barrel credit card canceled a $1.50 bill I had.
Issued by Comenity Bank? Never heard of it - is that another bank focused on store-branded cards rather than Visas/MCs?

It appears to be the new name of WFNNB. I found this post for a list of their cards: http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=212327

rated:
Excellent idea of Amazon gift cards. I've been running out of 99c items to buy from China on eBay.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014