• filter:
  • 189 10 1112
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
highmktgoods said:   I noticed something last night when I made an Amazon.com purchase.

I funded my Amazon account with gift card purchases. I redeemed my gift cards (applied them to my account) and then I made an item purchase (not gift cards). My Amazon credits balance was not quite enough to purchase the item outright. When I was checking out, instead of charging the final .38 cents to my credit card, it skipped that screen and went straight to the order complete screen.

It looks like there's a way to do this repetitively:
1) Determine cost of your Amazon purchase after checkout.
2) Purchase gift card for an amount that is reduced by X where X is at least 38 cents (possibly up to 2.00??) less than step 1.
3) apply gift cards to your account.
4) purchase items from step 1.
5) save X.

edit: ok, so somewhere between .38 and 1.16. Ty bluechalk!
This did not work for me for an ebook order via a Kindle. I had 30¢ left after the gift card balance, and Amazon charged my credit card for 30¢.

rated:
EugeneV said:   PNC billed at $1.99.
PNC billed at $0.99.

rated:
byex0039 said:   Glitch99 said:   Moosy said:   Crate and Barrel credit card canceled a $1.50 bill I had.
Issued by Comenity Bank? Never heard of it - is that another bank focused on store-branded cards rather than Visas/MCs?

It appears to be the new name of WFNNB. I found this post for a list of their cards: http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=212327

yes they just changed their name. It is s store card not a Visa/MC card.

rated:
Citi Dividend Master Card credited $0.11
So tried 99c charge thru' Sprint but Sprint has changed to only allow $1 or above so tried that lets see....

rated:
invisible said:   Citi Dividend Master Card credited $0.11
So tried 99c charge thru' Sprint but Sprint has changed to only allow $1 or above so tried that lets see....

Amazon allows a $0.15 minimum for an e-gift card, if you want to try that.

rated:

I'm so surprised that Citi gave a credit...go Dividend! Too bad this Q's category is useless for me...so it's sock drawered for now. Waiting for the electronic store category on the Q4 to max out the $300/yr (this'll be my first time maxing rewards on the dividend if it happens).

rated:
The former National City Biz (now PNC Biz) card billed at $1.99 8/2013. Has previously canceled $1.99 every month for years.

rated:
dataadmin said:   invisible said:   Citi Dividend Master Card credited $0.11

Thanks, on other sock drawered Citi Dividend just tried Amazon GC for 99c, lets see what happens in the next statement...

rated:
EugeneV said:   BofA Better Balance Rewards canceled $1 on the due day! I scheduled payment for it before 6 PM EST on the same day.

Did that disqualify you from earning the BB bonus for the quarter? Technically you are supposed to make a "payment," I wonder if cancelling your bill equates as a payment.

rated:
penfed amex & Visa cancelled at 1.00.

rated:
Hmm, maybe the PenFed platinum rewards card is still useful after all...

rated:
invisible said:   
dataadmin said:   

Thanks, on other sock drawered Citi Dividend just tried Amazon GC for 99c, lets see what happens in the next statement...

bad news ... same card that allowed 11c now did not forgive 99c,

also on other Citi dividend card I tried $1 that also showed up on the next bill

So no can do. Maybe if you have not had a previous bill w/ amount and this one is under some cents then they forgive?

Will need to try smaller amount, 11c < amount < 99c, if anyone tries please post for citi 

rated:
update:
US Bank billed this month at $0.94, which was a single charge of this amount.  I had no activity between this statement and the previous $0.99 statement credit two months ago.

rated:
Emigrant Direct (Elan) billed at .99 after at least 6 months of credits at .99.

rated:
ChipLeader said:   Emigrant Direct (Elan) billed at .99 after at least 6 months of credits at .99.
This is normal Elan behavior. About once a year they will make you pay the $0.99.

Try again next month and it is almost guaranteed to be cancelled.

rated:
you guys are rediuclous

rated:
bxlefty23 said:   you guys are rediuclous

Look who's talking...

rated:
No go on Bank of America.

rated:
Chase billed for $1.00 this month.

rated:
NEDeals said:   Chase billed for $1.00 this month.
  For Chase it's $0.99.

rated:
PNC Business billed at $1.99 in 8/13.

I did not make the payment as my online account did not ask me to make any payment (minimal amount due is shown as ZERO).

Now, I just see that my account balance is at zero again.

So, there is hope to try it out again.

rated:
Has anyone had any luck with the GM card? I tried several times and haven't had any luck, but I haven't tried in a couple of months.

rated:
Reaffirm Discover gave a $1.99 small balance credit this month.
First time I tried it.

rated:
KYBOSH said:   Reaffirm Discover gave a $1.99 small balance credit this month.
First time I tried it.

I saw this thread and looked at my statements. I was surprised to see the small balance credit in my statement. I use some cards for small transactions (such as vending machines) to keep my card active. I set up auto payments and never look at the account (unless I see unsual trnxs). Looks like I was earning those odd dollars without knowing about it. Now I can try to make all my idle cards pay!

rated:
ussvoyager04 said:   
I set up auto payments and never look at the account (unless I see unsual trnxs).

Completely off topic, but you are obviously playing with fire - If you dont look at the account, you will not see unusual transactions, and by the time you bother to notice a fraudulant transaction it'll be too late to do anything about it. You didnt even notice an unusual credit being applied to your account...

rated:
I've never taken advantage of small credit cancellation with Chase. Would you recommend doing it every month or only on most months? Would doing it every month raise red flags?

rated:
hightide said:   I've never taken advantage of small credit cancellation with Chase. Would you recommend doing it every month or only on most months? Would doing it every month raise red flags?
  I'm sure that some of us are doing it every month on multiple cards each month.

rated:
hightide said:   I've never taken advantage of small credit cancellation with Chase. Would you recommend doing it every month or only on most months? Would doing it every month raise red flags?
  Its a pretty basic concept, dont overthink it.  Either do, or dont do - there really isnt a "strategy" behind it.

rated:
PenFed didn't bill a $1 charge, but they didn't cancel it either. It will be interesting to see how long it sits on the account (I am setup for autopay).

rated:
I thought I had identified which of my Amex cards were "even" months and which were "odd" months, but when I tried to strategically alternate the months to align with the cancellation pattern I got I got billed. Now I'm thinking that I need to have a $1 charge every month and just know that only half of them will be cancelled per year. If I skip a month, it seems to start the pattern from scratch.

rated:
The Talbots credit card, administered by Comenity, cancelled at $1.50.  This is a store card, not a Visa/MC, like the Crate and Barrel card mentioned earlier in this thread.

rated:
Oh how I loved when I was able to save about $18 off my directv bill charging 1.99 on my chase cards

rated:
Does anyone know if the Barclays NFL Extra Points Visa Signature Card will also cancel at $0.99?

rated:
theboogeyman said:   Does anyone know if the Barclays NFL Extra Points Visa Signature Card will also cancel at $0.99?
  Yes it does. 

rated:
It is my experience that all Barclays cards will cancel $0.99 / month.

rated:
NEDeals said:   PenFed didn't bill a $1 charge, but they didn't cancel it either. It will be interesting to see how long it sits on the account (I am setup for autopay).  

On my Penfed Amex:

12/10/2013 12/10/2013 ACCOUNT ADJUSTMENT
11/26/2013 11/27/2013 Amazon.COM

Kind of annoying as I wanted to show usage so they don't cancel the card, but they credited it instead, haha.

rated:
Citi Forward Visa billed for $0.29 (Jan. 2014)

rated:
ericliujian said:   Citi Forward Visa billed for $0.29 (Jan. 2014)
  FYI - Citi bills all amounts - but then if you don't pay; they wave the fee.

rated:
New to this game. Might as well try to play it on the cards not in use. Do I need to have "mail statements" for this to work?

rated:
noelandres said:   New to this game. Might as well try to play it on the cards not in use. Do I need to have "mail statements" for this to work?
  No, online statements works too.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014