2% Fidelity Rewards Card (was 1.5%)

Archived From: Finance
  • 127282930 31
  • Page
  • Text Only
vquasarv said:   FYI... Received a letter in the mail today :

"Currently you credit card is issued and administered by FIA Card Services, NA and governed by Delaware and federal law. As of October 1, 2014, your credit card account will be issued and administered by Bank of America, NA and governed by North Carolina and federal law."

Thanks for the heads-up. If they change the rewards system, it's going to get ugly in this thread. Between personal (non-5% categories) and business expenses, I'm putting $40k - $50k annually on this card.

Anyone get the email offer today to "Activate" 5% Cash Back categories on the Fidelity Card?

Earn 5% Cash Back
on qualifying home improvement purchases through June 30, 2014*
Hardware Interior furnishings Garden supplies
Act now to earn 5% Cash Back (up to $25) on qualifying home improvement purchases made with your Fidelity Investment Rewards® American Express® Card through June 30, 2014.
Start rewarding yourself today by simply activating the offer and using your card for qualifying purchases.

Are they testing out CashBack categories so that they can drop 2% back on every transaction? If they go that route, I'll be very unhappy and stop using the card.

vquasarv said:   FYI... Received a letter in the mail today :

"Currently you credit card is issued and administered by FIA Card Services, NA and governed by Delaware and federal law. As of October 1, 2014, your credit card account will be issued and administered by Bank of America, NA and governed by North Carolina and federal law."

Interesting!  Maybe they are folding the "separate" FIA division that is only separate on paper (and apparently state corporate charter leftover from MBNA).  When you call customer service, the same call center people handle both BoA and FIA brands interchangeably. 

Since they have traditionally used the FIA brand for affinity cards with other financial institutions, hopefully this is not the beginning of a downgrade.  Remember the Schwab Visa card? (RIP!) 

I wonder how long its going to take them to notify all the cardholders. That's the second report - I haven't heard anything.

Kevo171 said:   Anyone get the email offer today to "Activate" 5% Cash Back categories on the Fidelity Card?

Earn 5% Cash Back
on qualifying home improvement purchases through June 30, 2014*
Hardware Interior furnishings Garden supplies
Act now to earn 5% Cash Back (up to $25) on qualifying home improvement purchases made with your Fidelity Investment Rewards® American Express® Card through June 30, 2014.
Start rewarding yourself today by simply activating the offer and using your card for qualifying purchases.

Are they testing out CashBack categories so that they can drop 2% back on every transaction? If they go that route, I'll be very unhappy and stop using the card.

In the past, I've gotten 3-5% on various categories on the Fidelity Visa and American Express so it's nothing new.

hate is a strong word but i hate rotating categories and low caps, like i have on the 1 2 3 useless cash rewards card at b of a. i hope the fid card doesnt go that way.

tjguitar85 said:   I wonder how long its going to take them to notify all the cardholders. That's the second report - I haven't heard anything.

Sound like BoA is cleaning up FIA in preparation for a sale.  They have sold off parts of FIA/MBNA over the years, so this wouldn't be anything new.

Huh. I've been resisting applying to this card because I got burned on the Schwab card and had no desire to repeat the experience. But I'm considering a job offer that would require relocation, so I decided to go ahead and apply while I still have several years of history at my job and residence. I opened a Fidelity cash management account just this morning and was planning to apply for the card tomorrow. Now maybe I'll wait and see what happens with this change.

I got the same letter for my BoA VA card, so I don't think the letter itself is indicative of an upcoming change in CashBack.

How is the 529 version of this card different? it says it uses points, does it have extra bonuses?

I have the investor rewards version but was comparing the two. I'm thinking of doing a Roth thru them, if I have it setup to deposit in my core account, would it automatically go into count towards my contributions?

Or I have a brokerage with a diff. core account, can it automatically invest in something like a tax advantaged mutual fund?

thanks in advance.

Ranndal said:   How is the 529 version of this card different? it says it uses points, does it have extra bonuses?

I have the investor rewards version but was comparing the two. I'm thinking of doing a Roth thru them, if I have it setup to deposit in my core account, would it automatically go into count towards my contributions?

Or I have a brokerage with a diff. core account, can it automatically invest in something like a tax advantaged mutual fund?

thanks in advance.

They're all exactly the same card, I don't really get why they have 3.

well the 529 uses points not CashBack.

i want my points to multiply generously each month before FIA deposits into a fidelity account.

can someone tell me how to get this? it's a debit card, a fidelity visa check card but look at the photo it is an amex???

Photoshop. That image is for one of the Amex CCs.

I got it from this page is why it was so weird: http://personal.fidelity.com/misc/demos/CashDashboard/features-c...

http://personal.fidelity.com/accounts/pdf/brokusa.pdf - this lists a Fidelity Amex deferred debit card.

tjguitar85 said:   I wonder how long its going to take them to notify all the cardholders. That's the second report - I haven't heard anything.
The 5% bonus is a targeted offer. I got it this quarter, first time I've ever had an offer on this card. They're the same sorts of offers that Bank of America routinely offers on their credit cards. I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with a change to the 2% rebate on the card.

BTW I'm pretty sure that the 5% is in addition to the 2%, so it's actually 7%. I'll see once it gets credited.

Ranndal said:   I got it from this page is why it was so weird: http://personal.fidelity.com/misc/demos/CashDashboard/features-c... 

http://personal.fidelity.com/accounts/pdf/brokusa.pdf - this lists a Fidelity Amex deferred debit card.

It's obviously from a Fidelity brokerage account. Why don't you call them and ask?

billrubin said:   
The 5% bonus is a targeted offer. I got it this quarter, first time I've ever had an offer on this card. They're the same sorts of offers that Bank of America routinely offers on their credit cards. I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with a change to the 2% rebate on the card.

BTW I'm pretty sure that the 5% is in addition to the 2%, so it's actually 7%. I'll see once it gets credited.

I was referring to the change of FIA Card Services to Bank of America.

How much do you need to charge to get the 5% offer? I know you've been here a long time bill since they closed your accounts down, do u know the limit?

Ranndal said:   How much do you need to charge to get the 5% offer? I know you've been here a long time bill since they closed your accounts down, do u know the limit?
There is no minimum, $25 max. And what do you mean about them closing my accounts down?  That was Schwab, not Fidelity and it was after their credit card had been converted to BofA.

tjguitar85 said:   
billrubin said:   

I was referring to the change of FIA Card Services to Bank of America.

Maybe it's somehow related to their sale of a bunch of FIA accounts to US Bank several months ago, which this card was not part of.

http://www.cardratings.com/bank-of-america-sells-700-million-cre...

Anyone know how I can add a joint owner to the account, rather than a authorized user?

Anyone know how I can add a joint owner to the account?

So FIA was no help on the phone, 'david' didn't know a thing.

So I need to have a joint brokerage and apply for both a visa and amex and have them go into the brokerage core money market? But not use the visa and keep it dormant so i get the reward offers?

there's a lot of interesting reviews on the visa site almost as if i learned about many new products.

And the reason the card is being moved to Boa... the lady with Plat Preferred told me earlier that they're trying to move everything over to Boa, so I guess they are getting rid of the FIA brand.

Ranndal said:   So FIA was no help on the phone, 'david' didn't know a thing.

So I need to have a joint brokerage and apply for both a visa and amex and have them go into the brokerage core money market? But not use the visa and keep it dormant so i get the reward offers?

Was davis located in the US or elsewhere?  The international reps only "know" what they are allowed to say. 

No it was the USA Number I called, he had no idea what I meant.

I finally found what all are talking about after literally weeks and tens of hours of looking.

So with this said, can the second person be an AU (on the visa which is sockdrawered) or do they need their own entire cc? Already have the Amex.

Ranndal said:   No it was the USA Number I called, he had no idea what I meant.

I finally found what all are talking about after literally weeks and tens of hours of looking.

So with this said, can the second person be an AU (on the visa which is sockdrawered) or do they need their own entire cc? Already have the Amex.

I was asking where the CSR based, not what number you called. Most of the toll free BOA/FIA numbers are connected to foreign CSRs.   

I think the FIA rep was local.

My Plat Priv. rep had to transfer me because she didn't know anything about the FIA card. David was American, or I'm pretty sure he was.

The Plat Priv. Rep was tooo.

I'm getting pissed, I applied for Visa Sig last night and it was deferred. They should be able to see all my assets with them. I've called and they havent gone over it yet they say wait 30 days - should i ask for one who can actually do something?

Ranndal said:   And the reason the card is being moved to Boa... the lady with Plat Preferred told me earlier that they're trying to move everything over to Boa, so I guess they are getting rid of the FIA brand.
I think this whole switch-over from FIA is being overblown. I noticed that I got a notice from BofA on one of my BofA branded cards (MLB card recently converted to 3-2-1 based on their offer) saying the same thing!

NEDeals said:   
Ranndal said:   No it was the USA Number I called, he had no idea what I meant.

I was asking where the CSR based, not what number you called. Most of the toll free BOA/FIA numbers are connected to foreign CSRs.   

FIA gets a plus in this regard.  The three times i've called in the last month, the CSR has been a very helpful and professional American woman.  

who do i need to call for a credit analyst? i keep getting people to tell me to wait for a decision on the Fidelity Visa. I have the Amex but I want the visa too. They keep saying they hadn't made one and to wait. grr. i have enough assets with boa.

NEDeals said:   Interesting!  Maybe they are folding the "separate" FIA division that is only separate on paper (and apparently state corporate charter leftover from MBNA).  When you call customer service, the same call center people handle both BoA and FIA brands interchangeably. 

That's what the lady said when one of the Plat Priv. people called me. They're apparently training them on the cards too but hadn't on Fidelity yet. Didn't sound like they were changing anything. Are most of these special categories on the Visa card and come when you dont use it for a few months?

urtpiz said:   

FIA gets a plus in this regard.  The three times i've called in the last month, the CSR has been a very helpful and professional American woman.  

What have you needed to call about?

I haven't dealt with foreigners when I called FIA. I only called to activate cards and make them stop sending balance transfer checks.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014