2% Fidelity Rewards Card (was 1.5%)

Archived From: Finance
  • 12 3 4531
  • Page
  • Text Only
bmx said: I applied at 12/25 and get the card today.
It is a separate register account on fiacardservice.com.
They has free billpay for other credit card. (but no reward point for paying credit card and no billpay service too.)
There is no way to combine with fidelity.com too.

FYI, I was able to add this account to my other FIA credit card. At the login screen there is an Add Another Account link.

bmx said: I applied at 12/25 and get the card today.
They has free billpay for other credit card. (but no reward point for paying credit card and no billpay service too.)

Do you mean, it did not let you add another credit card account number to an existing ibsnetaccess.com login?
It let me do it and so billpay is working.

vkva said: bmx said: I applied at 12/25 and get the card today.

Do you mean, it did not let you add another credit card account number to an existing ibsnetaccess.com login?
It let me do it and so billpay is working.

I mean I can not add this card to fidelity.com. I do add to fiacardservice.com
the billpay is useless since no rebate available for billpay credit card bill. (lol)

bmx said: the billpay is useless since no rebate available for billpay credit card bill. (lol)

Not useless because you're basically borrowing money without paying any interest.

Spoke with CSR. The 1.5% Fido Visa card will not be upgraded to 2% until after the intial AMEX offer has enough participants to make it a "stable account". The CSR mentioned that this promotional period is typically 6-12 mos. After then, I was lead to believe that the Visa card will get bumped up.

I applied online for the AMEX card on Dec. 30th. Did not recieve instant approval. Called the CRS and my app was immediatley accepted. Recieve the card on on Jan. 3.

I have 1.5% fidelity card with "paybill"
Should I apply Fidelity AMEX 2% or Schwab 2%?

If FIA increase 1.5% Fidelity to 2% and drop the foreign exchange fee, I will apply Fidelity AMEX 2%
If FIA do not drop the foreign exchange fee, I will not Fidelity AMEX 2%. I will apply the Schwab 2% card without the fee.

Do you have some information of foreign exchange fee? Thank you.

remingrw said: Spoke with CSR. The 1.5% Fido Visa card will not be upgraded to 2% until after the intial AMEX offer has enough participants to make it a "stable account". The CSR mentioned that this promotional period is typically 6-12 mos. After then, I was lead to believe that the Visa card will get bumped up.

I applied online for the AMEX card on Dec. 30th. Did not recieve instant approval. Called the CRS and my app was immediatley accepted. Recieve the card on on Jan. 3.

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll go ahead and apply for a new card.

Moosy said: scanchain said: I will get the 2% AMEX card for use in Costco when it rolls out.

The Costco 2% AMEX is not a real 2%:
The rebate is an annual rebate equal to the following percentages of your annual level of purchases; 0.25% for the first $2,000, 0.50% for the next $3,000, and 1.50% for purchases in excess of $5,000. If your account is carrying a balance, you will receive an additional 0.50% rebate for the billing period.

Moosy I did not know that, where did you find this information?

I just checked out the redemption options for getting a check. They are:

POINT VALUE CASH REWARD
2,500 $12.50 Check
5,000 $25 Check
7,500 $37.50 Check
10,000 $80 Check
15,000 $120 Check
20,000 $160 Check
25,000 $250 Check
35,000 $350 Check
50,000 $500 Check

You get 2 points for every dollar spent. So if you save up 25,000 points, it is a 2% rebate card for everyone, not just Fidelity account holders.

Except in the online application form you need to enter a fidelity account number. But I did not pay attention if it was a mandatary field.

Joe1690 said: What I really think is going on is that fidelity is assuming many customers don't read the fine print and thus were not aware that the existing card could be used for retirement accounts as well.

This is actually a surprisingly pleasant thing that I've noticed about fidelity. Their advertised terms are often stricter than their fine print. Fidelity seems to operate in a more hands-on common sense way then I'm used to with banks. With fidelity they often don't even apply the rules or charge the fees that they print. On the other hand with a bank you often run into rules or get charged fees that you didn't even notice existed in the first place.

Also has anyone answered the question of whether you can convert a visa account over to this new 2% AMEX one? I plan on trying this afternoon.

got rejected, need to graduate college

I applied for this 2% AMEX card a couple of days ago. My current Fidelity 1.5% MasterCard's credit limit has been reduced by $5,000 (still has "reasonable" limit). Don't know the status of the AMEX application yet. My guess is that BofA reduced my existing card's limit to give me the AMEX card.

nycll said: Except in the online application form you need to enter a fidelity account number. But I did not pay attention if it was a mandatary field.
It was an optional field.

i applied middle of last week and got the "can't make an instant decision" message. card showed up in the mail less than 5 days later.

really glad to find this thread as i was looking for a new main card after having to cancel my SPG AMEX since they wouldn't waive the fee for another year. so thanks!

lettezilla said: i applied middle of last week and got the "can't make an instant decision" message. card showed up in the mail less than 5 days later.

really glad to find this thread as i was looking for a new main card after having to cancel my SPG AMEX since they wouldn't waive the fee for another year. so thanks!

I'm in the same boat except I got this card to replace my 1.5% Fidelity. FYI, on my SPG AMEX, I paid my annual fee of $45 in October, realized I wasn't going to use the card, and then called to cancel this month (Jan '09). They cancelled the card, refunded the $45 fee, and then cut me a check for $45 once I called in and requested it. I thought that $45 was a sunk cost.

When you apply using smartcash account, what should we put in fidelity account number? Using the account number (acutally it contains letters and numbers) showing online or using the account number showing in the check book. I haven't use ACH before, does it work when we do ACH if put the onlineaccount number?

CBE said: When you apply using smartcash account, what should we put in fidelity account number? Using the account number (acutally it contains letters and numbers) showing online or using the account number showing in the check book. I haven't use ACH before, does it work when we do ACH if put the onlineaccount number?
Use the account number with the letter. Mysmartcash is still a brokerage account underneath, I'm pretty sure they will figure it out.

marvelous35 said: I just checked out the redemption options for getting a check. They are:

POINT VALUE CASH REWARD
2,500 $12.50 Check
5,000 $25 Check
7,500 $37.50 Check
10,000 $80 Check
15,000 $120 Check
20,000 $160 Check
25,000 $250 Check
35,000 $350 Check
50,000 $500 Check

You get 2 points for every dollar spent. So if you save up 25,000 points, it is a 2% rebate card for everyone, not just Fidelity account holders.

yeah, at $12,500 annual spend, that's only about $1000 per month. and cause the entire amount is redeemed at 2%, there's no tiering that some other cards (like AMEX Cash Rebate) have

The Visa card is now paying 2% on purchases over $15,000 annually (still 1.5% on the first $15,000).

http://personal.fidelity.com/products/checking/content/investmen...

No word on whether the change applies to existing cards.

For the math-impaired: an extra .5% on $15,000 is $75 a year; it's up to you whether the trouble of switching to Schwab, opening a new brokerage account and a few hard pulls is worth it.

FidoAmex Cash conversion ratio
Disclaimer
Yankees said: marvelous35 said: I just checked out the redemption options for getting a check. They are:

POINT VALUE CASH REWARD
2,500 $12.50 Check
5,000 $25 Check
7,500 $37.50 Check
10,000 $80 Check
15,000 $120 Check
20,000 $160 Check
25,000 $250 Check
35,000 $350 Check
50,000 $500 Check

hm.....in their FAQ, they seemed to have eliminated the mention of the 25,000 points/$250 check onwards. they only show up to the 20,000/$160 (i.e. 1.6%)

yeah, at $12,500 annual spend, that's only about $1000 per month. and cause the entire amount is redeemed at 2%, there's no tiering that some other cards (like AMEX Cash Rebate) have

Has anyone received any information about the extended warranty protection or CDW coverage offered by this FIA AMEX card? My welcome kit didn't contain any information about these benefits and the application website is pretty vague about coverage. I called customer service and they said "warranty protection is included" but the agent on the phone couldn't provide any further details. Did anyone get a pamphlet with their card?

my optima cash rebate AMEX has purchase protection, return protection and double manufacturer's warranty. i just called purchase protection (800-322-1277) and they said that fido doesn't have it.

i doubt it has the others as well

will this card at all affect my ability to use MBNA billpay? or does it actually work for that on its own?

Got delayed approval, $14,700. 160K HHI

I've confirmed with Fidelity customer service that the new 1.5%/2% Visa card is a new Visa card, and that the old (pre-2009) Visa card will NOT be getting upgraded. If you want the new rewards structure, you need to apply for the new card (unless perhaps you can get FIA to do a product switch, which I would be interested to hear if anyone is able to do).

Anyone see any difference between the two different versions of the AMEX cards(not the VISA) they are offering now (Fidelity Investment Rewards and Fidelity Retirement Rewards)? The features and benefits look identical with only the branding on the card being different. Any ideas?

Both the fidelity investment rewards,the retirement rewards, and the 529 cards are exactly the same. The only reason they came up with these 3 cards is that many people do not necessarily read the fine print and thus may be interested in retirement rewards and thus would choose the retirement rewards card. That is the reason they came up with 3 so they could cater to as many customers as possible even though just 1 card would have been fine. Plus, if you already have an IRA with them and they solicit you via mail you would be more likely to open the account if it was called retirement rewards then Investment rewards or 529. So choose whichever card you are interested in knowing that they are all the same. For me, I'm going with the retirement rewards card when I apply because I like the sound of it better even though I will be putting the funds in my brokerage account since my IRA accounts are with Bank of America.

stevew7 said: Has anyone received any information about the extended warranty protection or CDW coverage offered by this FIA AMEX card? My welcome kit didn't contain any information about these benefits and the application website is pretty vague about coverage. I called customer service and they said "warranty protection is included" but the agent on the phone couldn't provide any further details. Did anyone get a pamphlet with their card?

I got the same result. Have requested the bulletin to be sent to me, though. We'll see.

After one month, I received benefit guide.
Old VISA fidelity card can not convert to new one. CSR told me they can not find the new fidelity card in their convert choice.

Did anyone get an auto-sweep into their Fidelity account?

I just had a phantom $4.17 cash contribution to my 2009 Roth IRA on 2/5/09 (the account number I used to set up my Fidelity Retirement Rewards). My statement closing 1/16/09 was $208.59 in purchases, which would be $4.17.

I just looked on the FIA website and it says in the reward history:

02/01/2009 01/31/2009 Redeemed Fidelity Auto Redemption (417.5)

Now my available points is $0.00. I like this. I'll have to keep on top to make sure I don't overcontribute for 2009, but I like the auto-sweep.

zhaoyi26 said: After one month, I received benefit guide.
Old VISA fidelity card can not convert to new one. CSR told me they can not find the new fidelity card in their convert choice.

what is said in the benefit guide, esp about the warranty extention?

Yankees said: my optima cash rebate AMEX has purchase protection, return protection and double manufacturer's warranty. i just called purchase protection (800-322-1277) and they said that fido doesn't have it.

i doubt it has the others as well

not sure why i got red for that, just trying to provide information to the community.

I got confirmation today that the Fido AMEX is part of the extended warranty program and the retail purchase protection program. they enroll the cards based on the first 6 digits. The rep says all Fido AMEX cards starting with 374716 are covered.

Extended warranty: 800-240-9794 (90 day theft or accidental damage, $1,000 per item, $50,000 per year)
Purchase protection: 800-838-5669 (double manufacturer's warranty up to 1 year, $10,000 per item, $50,000 per year)
M-F 8am - 8pm EST

It is not covered by the Return protection program (if retailer doesn't take return, the program will take the return and reimburse for 90 days after purchase).

CoffeeEater said: Did anyone get an auto-sweep into their Fidelity account?

I just had a phantom $4.17 cash contribution to my 2009 Roth IRA on 2/5/09 (the account number I used to set up my Fidelity Retirement Rewards). My statement closing 1/16/09 was $208.59 in purchases, which would be $4.17.

I just looked on the FIA website and it says in the reward history:

02/01/2009 01/31/2009 Redeemed Fidelity Auto Redemption (417.5)

Now my available points is $0.00. I like this. I'll have to keep on top to make sure I don't overcontribute for 2009, but I like the auto-sweep.

I got the auto-sweep of my points from last month too. I had given my non-retirment account number when I applied, so it went into there.

That is interesting that received the autosweep for 4.17. From the way I read the terms & conditions, the autosweep would only happen once you reached 5000 points which would for $50. Here is what the terms & conditions state "To set up automatic points’ redemption for payment to a Fidelity account, you will need to designate an eligible Fidelity account on the credit card application or, once your application is approved, visit the online redemption portal for the program or call the number on the back of your card. Once you have established your linked Fidelity account, if your credit card account is open and has active charging privileges and if you have at least 5,000 points available, FIA Card Services, N.A. will initiate an electronic transfer of funds to your Fidelity account at the end of each calendar month. The deposit will be made in U.S. dollars in an amount equal to the points balance multiplied by 1% ($0.01 USD) and the points will be deducted from your points balance."

This is an even better card if they automatically sweep regardless of the number of points earned although I might consider banking the points instead of choosing the auto sweep since some of the worldpoints rewards options could yield 2 cents per point which would be 4% back instead of 2% back.

Joe1690 said: This is an even better card if they automatically sweep regardless of the number of points earned although I might consider banking the points instead of choosing the auto sweep since some of the worldpoints rewards options could yield 2 cents per point which would be 4% back instead of 2% back.

Yeah, it is interesting that the terms and conditions mention the 5k points, but we're getting monthly auto-sweeps. I'm going to see if I can change my account number from my Roth to my MySmartCash. For the Roth, I have auto-investments of 500 bones for the first 10 months of the year. If this auto-sweeps money in November and December, it would put me over for 2009 contributions.

Guys, I am kind of lost here.
Under what scenario do you get 4%?
Can you give an example?

Thanks.

CoffeeEater said: Joe1690 said: This is an even better card if they automatically sweep regardless of the number of points earned although I might consider banking the points instead of choosing the auto sweep since some of the worldpoints rewards options could yield 2 cents per point which would be 4% back instead of 2% back.

Yeah, it is interesting that the terms and conditions mention the 5k points, but we're getting monthly auto-sweeps. I'm going to see if I can change my account number from my Roth to my MySmartCash. For the Roth, I have auto-investments of 500 bones for the first 10 months of the year. If this auto-sweeps money in November and December, it would put me over for 2009 contributions.

szhang6 said: Guys, I am kind of lost here.
Under what scenario do you get 4%?
Can you give an example?

Thanks.

I didn't get 4%. I have no idea what Joe1690 is talking about. I didn't even read that part of his message when I replied. Either way, you still earn 2% Cash Back...you are getting 2pts for every dollar. If you choose to use your points on something other than cash, your effective rate changes...but you're not going to get more than 2% cash back.

My Retirement Rewards AMEX is auto-sweeping at 2% Cash Back. I spent $208.59 on my statement ending 1/16/2009 and had $4.17 deposited in my Roth IRA in early Feb '09.

Just confirming: if I put in my Fidelity Roth IRA account number when I applied, I do not need to do anything to link my card to my account? I just got the card today.

Not sure if this has been covered, I logged in to redeem the points to my fidelity account and found that it has been already done automatically. In fidelity it shows up as direct deposit from FIA card services. Pretty neat.

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 12 3 4531
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014