• Page :
  • Text Only
drodge said: It doesn't even have to be "legitimate". If you dispute it, they have to respond and reaffirm the information. If they don't, it's gone. You have nothing to loose by trying but a stamp.Or dispute it online and you have nothing to lose but your time

Happened to me too with the Kohls card.
Never missed a payment ever, and once missed one payment as I didn't receive an email (or was it in spam).

I was charged around $30 for a balance of $10 or something.

Called CS and got it reduced to $20.
Ever since I was always careful with Kohls, make a purchase and as soon as it shows up in my card, I make the payment.
Stupid company.

I can't believe those of you affected are still keeping your Kohl's cards.

OP,

I dont know if anyone directly answered your question. Anyhow, the most damage will be in the first 2 years. There will be some residual effects for 7 years but your most recent 2 yr history is what is the most weighted by the Credit Reporting Bureaus. So really 1 late charge in the last 2yrs, after about 6mo's wont be that huge of a deal. And it will only have a limited effect after 2 years.

Colt2001

Try sending goodwill letters to Kohl's, and then dispute with the credit bureaus annually if the goodwill letter doesn't work.

Your chances of success depends on the company. Macy's has been very good with taking adverse statements off of your credit report, and even their collection agency offers to settle for half the balance and reactivate your account as paid on time so your credit report gets better. (My dad signed up for a Macy's card, and then moved soon afterward and forgot to pay.) Conversely, Capital One will never take anything off your credit report unless you can prove beyond all doubt that it is wrong.

Good luck!

Kohls only opens the charge cards. Another company runs them (maybe chase). Kohls has 0 ability to affect this stuff. The phone line may say Kohls charge etc, but they are not really Kohls they are the bank that owns the cc's Kohls issues. I know they will often waive late fees, but being 60+ days late on a payment is somewhat different. In any case this is why i keep all bills paper. Email is far too likely to get lost in the shuffle etc.

cmv said: I can't believe those of you affected are still keeping your Kohl's cards.Why would someone get rid of a card just because they paid it late through no fault of Kohl's & Chase?

Just to chime in-

Kohls probably deals with some of the lowest of the low in terms of credit worthiness. I would expect them to be exceptionally good at collections and exceptionally reluctant in terms of forgiveness.

I had a charge for $38.14 on my Kohl's charge card which was due Oct 9th. I did not received that bill but became aware of the overdue amount on Nov 12 which is when I paid it. I now have a 30 day late notice on my FICO score - it's the only negative on the whole report and my score has dropped by over 100 points. I'm right around 700 depending on the FICO score provider. From what I read, everyone says no harm to ask Kohls to remove the report of late payment (they did remove the late charges) however every report I've read states that Kohl's (Chase) refuses to remove the reported late payment. Is it best to write letters to the credit reporting agencies explaining?

I had a charge for $38.14 on my Kohl's charge card which was due Oct 9th. I did not received that bill but became aware of the overdue amount on Nov 12 which is when I paid it. I now have a 30 day late notice on my FICO score - it's the only negative on the whole report and my score has dropped by over 100 points. I'm right around 700 depending on the FICO score provider. From what I read, everyone says no harm to ask Kohls to remove the report of late payment (they did remove the late charges) however every report I've read states that Kohl's (Chase) refuses to remove the reported late payment. Is it best to write letters to the credit reporting agencies explaining?

Barley2009 said: I had a charge for $38.14 on my Kohl's charge card which was due Oct 9th. I did not received that bill but became aware of the overdue amount on Nov 12 which is when I paid it. I now have a 30 day late notice on my FICO score - it's the only negative on the whole report and my score has dropped by over 100 points. I'm right around 700 depending on the FICO score provider. From what I read, everyone says no harm to ask Kohls to remove the report of late payment (they did remove the late charges) however every report I've read states that Kohl's (Chase) refuses to remove the reported late payment. Is it best to write letters to the credit reporting agencies explaining?Dispute with the credit bureaus. There's no need for Kohl's to remove the late payment themselves.

I had a similar situation with Macy's.
I had a Macys charge account and a credit card account. I overpayed my charge card account , so it had a debit of $2.95. Every time when i called the number on my credit card to check the balance the CSR said i ahve no dues. But there was a $1.08 purchase (made at Redbox movie rental)on my credit card which grew to 40$ over 2 months with late fees. I didnt get any email or paper statements for this , all i got was a check for overpayment of $2.95. When i was checking my accounts I found this out and called Macys and they credited my late fees. How ever it brought down my cerdit score from upper 700's to 690, which I found out last months.

I called back Macys and they agreed to report it to credit agencies. But they said it will ake up to 60 days. my 60 days elapses on feburary 23rd... let me see what happens

Guys I'm in the very same situation as OP with the Kohls Charge Card. To be more clear the exact problem is that Kohls has been sending their monthly electronic statements notifications using random email addresses like MyKohlsCharge14@Kohls.com, MyKohlsCharge13@Kohls.com. This is causing the default email spam filters to mark these as spam. It looks like lot of people called them about not receiving the notifications. So, from DEC 08 onwards for the first time I see that they are now using a fixed email address MyKohlsChargeStatement@Kohls.com. I called them several times and explained the same to them nicely but they are not willing to remove the late payment from my credit file. Now, the question is do I have a point to go offense on them and if so whom to approach. Does this smell like a class action lawsuit kind of thing?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014