• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
A Floyd County man showed up at the city-county building in New Albany to pay his property taxes with more than $21,000 in coins.

http://www.wlky.com/video/18312446/index.html

My favorite part is where the tax lady says she doesn't think they have to accept pennies for payment...HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? I thought pennies were legal US tender.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
No, it would be more like telling the girl behind the cash register that they are doing such a good job, they get to cou... (more)

Freno911 (Dec. 20, 2008 @ 9:55p) |

A buddy and I always thought it would be cool to do this. I agree with you; it should have been done with loose coins. ... (more)

rhwbullhead (Dec. 24, 2008 @ 3:12a) |

The guy was smart in using boxes that were rolled and sealed by the Federal Reserve's contracted depository institution.... (more)

gatzdon (Dec. 26, 2008 @ 8:40a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Was that $21K for one year?

Just because it's legal tender doesn't mean they have to accept it. This seems to come up at least once a year...

largeeyes said: Just because it's legal tender doesn't mean they have to accept it. This seems to come up at least once a year...

Yes, but I believe that in order to legally refuse a form of payment, notice must be provided prior to the debt being incurred. For example, a restaurant with a sign stating they don't accept $50's or $100's is perfectly legal.

Just think at how much more everyone would need to pay if everyone 'protested' their taxes by doing this. On the bright side, it might create enough coin counting jobs to bring us out of a recession.

byex0039 said: Just think at how much more everyone would need to pay if everyone 'protested' their taxes by doing this. On the bright side, it might create enough coin counting jobs to bring us out of a recession. OMG, if everyone did this, it would be great - what better than a non-violent way to protest injustice & corruption?

dumroo said: byex0039 said: Just think at how much more everyone would need to pay if everyone 'protested' their taxes by doing this. On the bright side, it might create enough coin counting jobs to bring us out of a recession. OMG, if everyone did this, it would be great - what better than a non-violent way to protest injustice & corruption?

Don't worry, the government is already planning for this contingency

Students receive 2 days detention for paying for lunch in pennies to protest

The Coinage Act of 1965 (Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled “Legal tender) states: “United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues.”

This is a federal law and would apply for paying debts to government entities, but does not apply to private businesses or individuals which can make their own policies regarding the form of payment. This is why stores are able to refuse large denomination bills, for example. Also, the law does not apply to the purchase of goods or services, so a store can refuse to sell you a plasma TV if you try to pay with a bunch of pennies.

This guy tried to pay a court settlement with pennies and was held in contempt of court and fined. He appealed and the contempt charge was dismissed but he was still ordered to pay $533. He probably could have had that overturned had he continued the appeals process to the State Supreme Court.

Dollar coins? Not that bad. i carried a few k worth into BOA before...

I just don't get the "protest"? Would the people who raise tax give a rats ass if this guy pays in coins? Someone who agree with this tactic, please explain to me the logic.

It just waste of everyone's time. If he want to make a difference, get involved in local government and vote.

21k in property taxes for 14 houses. 1.5k per house..that's cheap.

imagine if the guy got in on the dollar coin deals through the mint... 5% CashBack on $21k is $1K+!

Yet another idiot - we had a thread about Original Idiot some time ago..
(I think that guy paid w pennies)

Way to make life harder for the hourly employee that has nothing to do with tax rates. It's like yelling at the cashier because you don't like the fact that the price of milk went up.

"Employee"? Try "welfare queen". They have a choice to go get a real job instead of working for the mob and living off the proceeds. Do you have any idea how safe and cushy government jobs are? Crocodile tears.

lostdude said: I just don't get the "protest"? Would the people who raise tax give a rats ass if this guy pays in coins? Someone who agree with this tactic, please explain to me the logic.

It just waste of everyone's time. If he want to make a difference, get involved in local government and vote.

It's for the media coverage nothing else.
Protesting by being heard...if no one knew would it be a protest?

nm

All he did was raise the administration costs of his borough processing his transaction, thus insuring his costs go up even more next year!

soxfan1 said: Way to make life harder for the hourly employee that has nothing to do with tax rates. It's like yelling at the cashier because you don't like the fact that the price of milk went up.

what is 'harder' about it? are they going to have to work double unpaid overtime to count them? if anything it breaks up the monotony.
what's wrong with yelling at the cashier? commodity prices went up, food prices immediately went up. commodity prices went down, still waiting for food prices to fall some...grocery stores have sticky prices going down

LiVeOrDiE said: 21k in property taxes for 14 houses. 1.5k per house..that's cheap.X2 payments per year.

gobucs007 said: what's wrong with yelling at the cashier? commodity prices went up, food prices immediately went up. commodity prices went down, still waiting for food prices to fall some...grocery stores have sticky prices going down
And the cashiers are all raking in the profits as a result of their setting the store prices so high? Did you even think before posting?

Have you ever picked up a bag of dollar coins?

Not to mention the fact that the time it takes to count 21k coins would slow down the line thus inconviniencing the other people in line.

I thought about doing this. Not to protest, just because I have alot of dollar coins tht need to be deposited anyways.

Glitch99 said: I thought about doing this. Not to protest, just because I have alot of dollar coins tht need to be deposited anyways.

then take them to the bank

cclyde said: gobucs007 said: what's wrong with yelling at the cashier? commodity prices went up, food prices immediately went up. commodity prices went down, still waiting for food prices to fall some...grocery stores have sticky prices going down
And the cashiers are all raking in the profits as a result of their setting the store prices so high? Did you even think before posting?

So I can run a business as shady and money grubbing as I like; As long as I hire a minimum wage cashier I won't have to worry about complaints because people will be too polite to complain to them?

Yelling is not my style, but I will not hold back expressing dissatisfaction to every employee of the guilty company. They should know how their company is faltering.

jcb193 said: All he did was raise the administration costs of his borough processing his transaction, thus insuring his costs go up even more next year!

Property taxes are set in how much they go up every year no matter what. He could do this over and over again without retaliation of the system, but it would waste tax money somewhere else down the line.

PorStaker said:
Property taxes are set in how much they go up every year no matter what. He could do this over and over again without retaliation of the system, but it would waste tax money somewhere else down the line.

I am not sure that is true of most local governments. Some do a 3-5 year budget where they set property tax raises in advance, but most of them are year to year as is the decision on whether to raise property tax rates and by how much.

But as has already been pointed out, this form of "protest" is misdirected. The employees hired to collect property tax payments have absolutely no power or influence over the city council that sets property tax rates, and most city councils are small time enough to be vindictive on things like this if they hear about it(unless its an election year, of course).

The only benefit this has is the press attention it brings to the issue.

BrainySmurf said: cclyde said: gobucs007 said: what's wrong with yelling at the cashier? commodity prices went up, food prices immediately went up. commodity prices went down, still waiting for food prices to fall some...grocery stores have sticky prices going down

So I can run a business as shady and money grubbing as I like; As long as I hire a minimum wage cashier I won't have to worry about complaints because people will be too polite to complain to them?

Yelling is not my style, but I will not hold back expressing dissatisfaction to every employee of the guilty company. They should know how their company is faltering.

Customer's who are seeking actual satisfaction know better than to try and gain it from the min. wage cashier, they'll ask for a manager, a supervisor, team leader, whatever they are called. You don't need to get rough [with]the front line unless they refuse to let you past the gate. Then again, getting ahold of someone who can actually do something for them, requires motivation which some impatient people just lack.

BrainySmurf said: cclyde said: gobucs007 said: what's wrong with yelling at the cashier? commodity prices went up, food prices immediately went up. commodity prices went down, still waiting for food prices to fall some...grocery stores have sticky prices going downAnd the cashiers are all raking in the profits as a result of their setting the store prices so high? Did you even think before posting?So I can run a business as shady and money grubbing as I like; As long as I hire a minimum wage cashier I won't have to worry about complaints because people will be too polite to complain to them?

Since you are talking about companies, consider NOT doing business with those you think are "shady" and "money grubbing" instead of taking out your anger on someone just trying to get by in life the best way he or she can.

I find that people who pick on cashiers are often on power trips and like to abuse people who can't get away easily. Doing so reflects a lack of self-confidence and maturity on the part of the abuser, who if he were truly confident would either not shop there, accept doing business there as a necessary evil, or complain to the proper management.jcb193 said: The only benefit this has is the press attention it brings to the issue.IMNHO, folks are already aware that property taxes are high in some areas. I know I sure am!

Now that the press has focused attention on the matter, what is going to change?

gobucs007 said: soxfan1 said: Way to make life harder for the hourly employee that has nothing to do with tax rates. It's like yelling at the cashier because you don't like the fact that the price of milk went up.

what is 'harder' about it? are they going to have to work double unpaid overtime to count them? if anything it breaks up the monotony.
what's wrong with yelling at the cashier? commodity prices went up, food prices immediately went up. commodity prices went down, still waiting for food prices to fall some...grocery stores have sticky prices going down

Are you by chance the same guy who got Brad from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" fired from his job at All American Burger? That wasn't too cool.

BrainySmurf said: cclyde said: gobucs007 said: what's wrong with yelling at the cashier? commodity prices went up, food prices immediately went up. commodity prices went down, still waiting for food prices to fall some...grocery stores have sticky prices going down

The cashier who is given the maximum hours that will not get them benefits knows how the company is faltering better than any customer. They don't have any influence on store prices. If you want a store to cut prices, take your business to their competitor. It's more effective than any yelling, which is far more likely to get your milk bagged on top of your eggs than anything else. You can be as shady and money grubbing as you like, so long as the customers keep coming back and buying.

edit: typo

SnoopDoug said: gobucs007 said: soxfan1 said: Way to make life harder for the hourly employee that has nothing to do with tax rates. It's like yelling at the cashier because you don't like the fact that the price of milk went up.

Are you by chance the same guy who got Brad from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" fired from his job at All American Burger? That wasn't too cool.

1st of 2 replies...

DUDE!

Brad was an asst manager... he came in to rescue the cashier (his friend), who TURNED on him...

I was... raised on the radio!!!

Top 10 movie.... includes Brad redemption later, with Phoebe Cates 8008135 (or boobies)! Then gets smacked again later... for the bad "spanking" of his pet monkey, and poor knowledge of bathroom door LOCKS!

Ups and downs!

miserly said: imagine if the guy got in on the dollar coin deals through the mint... 5% CashBack on $21k is $1K+!

As soon as I saw the title, I said "which FWF or FW person is this gonna turn out to be???"!

Indiana represent !!

hola

jason243 said: lostdude said: I just don't get the "protest"? Would the people who raise tax give a rats ass if this guy pays in coins? Someone who agree with this tactic, please explain to me the logic.

It's for the media coverage nothing else.
Protesting by being heard...if no one knew would it be a protest?

Thanks!

I wanted to pay my taxes in change this year but didn't have the time to get it all together by the deadline.

miserly said: imagine if the guy got in on the dollar coin deals through the mint... 5% CashBack on $21k is $1K+!

This guy is probably a FW lifer!! He got all these extra coins and had nothing better to do.

I'm a cashier and I'll tell you what, I wont do sh*t if your acting like an asshole/being unreasonable. Its really not worth your time to complain to me about the price of milk/food being to high. What do you expect me to do? If your being unreasonable you WILL get your milk bagged on top of your eggs and on top of your bread. I don't care. Your being an asshole and I'm getting paid ~~min wage.

soxfan1 said: Way to make life harder for the hourly employee that has nothing to do with tax rates. It's like yelling at the cashier because you don't like the fact that the price of milk went up.

I do that every day. In fact, sometimes I go to the store just to do that. I don't even buy anything, I just stand in line and wait to explode on the old woman at the register. It's fun. Try it.

they should arrest him and charge him with disorderly conduct.

Skipping 12 Messages...
The guy was smart in using boxes that were rolled and sealed by the Federal Reserve's contracted depository institution. That leaves little room to argue about how much he has. If you bring in the coins loose and they come back and tell you that you had $200 less than you really had, then it's your word against their's (and good luck fighting that one).

Next time, I hope he uses Half Dollar Coins. Many banks are trying to phase them out, but they just can't seem to actually do it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014