• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Recently, I have undertook a mission to compile a comprehensive list of deposit accounts that offer to reimburse ATM surcharges. I found this thread and this thread in the archive from years past, but neither got very far and there’s been very little mentioned of this great benefit since then.

Most people are aware they can typically use the issuing bank’s ATMs for free, and many will smartly pass up one ATM in favor of another to avoid paying a surcharge. But few realize that some banks will waive/reimburse all ATM surcharges, including those charged by a third party ATM owner (and those who are aware remain satisfied with relatively restrictive limits). And with the onset of the Rewards Checking concept, ATM reimbursements seem to have become a more prevalent account benefit than in the past.

Aside from the potential of saving $100s per year in ATM surcharges, using these accounts helps eliminate the confusion of what debit card you can use at what ATM without being charged and can ensure you always have surcharge-free access to your cash.

If there is interest in compiling and maintaining this list, the Quick Summary will be separated into two parts – one for banks offering ‘unlimited’ reimbursements, and one for banks offering refunds up to a certain limit/cap. Also list any restrictions, and (if known) whether the surcharge reimbursements are posted the same day or as a lump sum at the end of each month.

EDIT: For purposes of this thread, consider 'unlimited' to mean nation-wide (feel free to make a note if international ATMs are also included for any specific account). And consider 'same day' rebates to mean that the rebate is posted per-transaction, even if it technically occurs the following day.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Does any of this drivel tell us more banks that will rebate ATM fees? Either a bank offers rebates or they dont. PERIO... (more)

Glitch99 (Nov. 29, 2010 @ 9:19a) |

Look at grex's past threads/posts..

All I see now is "Ignored User" or "Quote ignored"

You won't win the battle, as was p... (more)

t60 (Nov. 29, 2010 @ 12:22p) |

I switched to "modern" from "classic" just so can do this. First member on my ignore list.

fw101 (Nov. 30, 2010 @ 12:21a) |

Banks offering unlimited reimbursements nationwide, with no/minimal restrictions:
Acacia Federal Savings Bank No Fee Choice Checking
Unlimited, reimbursements post monthly

Ally Bank Interest Checking and Money Market Accounts
Unlimited (starting ~Jan 15, 2010)

Bank of Arkansas Free Checking 2.0
Unlimited, must mail in ATM receipts to get reimbursements

Bank of Stanley Leadership Banking
Unlimited, requires $10,000 balance to waive monthly fee (or $3500 balance in linked savings account)

BankPlus ValuePlus Free Checking

Cabarrus Bank and Trust Leadership Banking
Unlimited, requires $10,000 balance to waive monthly fee (or $3500 balance in linked savings account)

Charles Schwab High Yield Investor Checking
Unlimited; reimbursements post monthly

Community Bank of Pleasant Hill Rewards Checking
Unlimited; reimbursements post same day (rewards requirements do NOT need to be met)

Compass Bank

Etrade Max Rate Checking
Unlimited, monthly fee waived with $200 monthly direct deposit; reimbursements post same day

Everbank
Unlimited, $5,000 minimum balance, refunded monthly

Fidelity mySmart Cash Checking
Unlimited; reimbursements post same day

First Bank of Conroe

First Fidelity Bank Freestyle Checking

First Republic Bank
Unlimited (including international), requires $3,500 average balance to waive monthy fee

Incredible Bank
Unlimited; reimbursements post same day

Mechanics Bank Smart and Easy Checking
Unlimited, with Direct Deposit

Metropolitan National Bank
Unlimited, no DD required, refund posts same day, international rebates too

Penn Liberty Bank Relationship Checking
Unlimited, $5,000 minimum balance to waive fee, refunded monthly

Peoples Bank

PNC Bank
Unlimited, requires $2,000 balance to get reimbursement, reimbursements post monthly

Salem Five
Unlimited, requires $1,500 balance or direct deposit to waive monthly fee

Signature Bank Personal Mongram Checking
Unlimited, requires $5,000 balance to waive monthly fee

Suntrust Signature Advantage
Unlimited, requires $25,000 to waive $25 monthly fee

State Farm Bank Checking
Unlimited with direct deposit; reimbursements post monthly

TD Bank Personal Checking Accounts
Unlimited, requires $2,500 balance to receive rebates, reimbursements post monthly

Thrivent Financial Rewards Checking
Unlimited, requires direct deposit

Webster Bank Premier Checking
Unlimited, requires $10,000 balance to waive monthly fee

Rewards Checking Accounts that offer unlimited ATM reimbursements nationwide, when monthly requirements are met:
(Note: All were nationally available when added to the list, but that tends to change quickly and with little notice)
Addison Avenue FCU Dividend Rewards Checking
Unlimited, when rewards requirements are met; reimbursements post monthly

Amegy Bank Smart Yield Checking
Unlimited, when rewards requirements are met

Bank of Ripley Rewards Checking

Cambridge Savings Bank SuperSmart Checking

Charter Bank Turbo Checking

Citizens Bank of Ashville Choice Rewards Checking

City National Bank Rewards Checking

Community Bank of Raymore Rewards Checking

Evantage Bank
Unlimited, when rewards requirements are met; reimbursements post monthly; includes fees incurred worldwide

Farmers and Merchants Bank Platinum Rewards Checking

1st Arkansas Bank and Trust FirstNet Checking

First Bank & Trust EasyGrow Checking

First National Bank of Henning Reward Rate Checking
Unlimited(?), when rewards requirements are met

First National Community Bank Maximum Earnings (ME) Checking
Unlimited (technically $999.99 limit), when rewards requirements are met

Heartland Community Bank Interest Plus Checking

Keystone Bank Rewards Checking

Ouachita Independent Bank Rewards Checking

Southern Community Bank & Trust "ME" Checking

United Heritage Credit Union - Heritage Checking

Banks that offer limited/capped ATM reimbursements:
Amegy Bank MyLife Checking
6 rebates/month

American Bank Online
$6/month with $1,000 balance

Ann Arbor State Bank Regular Checking
6/month, requires $500 balance to waive monthly fee

Bank Direct
$10/month - maximum 4 transactions, $2.50 per transaction, requires $2500 balance to waive monthly fee

Bank of Internet
$8/month, requires $5,000 average balance to waive monthly fee

Capital One Checking
$10/month

Century Bank Direct
5 transactions/month

Chesapeake Bank Clear Sky Checking
$20/month

Digital Federal Credit Union
$5.00-$10.00/month, depending on account type

First Command Bank Command Checking
$15/month, refunded at end of month

First Internet Bank
$6/month, requires $500 balance to waive monthly fee

HSBC Online Payment Account
3 transactions/month, reimbursements post monthly

M&T Bank Power Checking
15/month, $2 max per rebate, requires $50,000 balance to waive monthly fee

Merrill Lynch Beyond Banking account
Maximum $200/year, requires $5,000 AVG balance to waive monthly fee

MetLife Bank Money Market
$5/month, requires $1,500 balance to waive monthly fee

Modern Woodmen Bank
$15/month, $3 max per transaction

National City Elite Checking
$60/month, 30 maximum transactions/$2 maximum per transaction, requires $10,000 balance to waive monthly fee

New Resource Bank
Maximum 5 rebates/month, requires $2,500 balance to waive monthly fee

PSECU (Pennsylvania State Employee Credit Union)
Up to $4.00 a month, limited membership

Salem Five Direct
Up to $15/month

State Farm Bank Checking
$10/month limit if no direct deposit; reimbursements post monthly

UFB Direct
$4.50-$6.00 depending on account type, reimbursements post monthly

UFB Direct Business Banking
$4.50-$6.00 depending on account type, reimbursements post monthly

Umbrella Bank
$7.50/month, requires $500 or direct deposit to waive monthly fee

USAA
$15/month, maximum 10 withdrawals

Rewards Checking Accounts that offer limited/capped ATM reimbursements, when monthly requirements are met:
(Note: All were nationally available when added to the list, but that tends to change quickly and with little notice)
Advantis Fusion Checking
$25/month, when rewards requirements are met

Arizona Bank & Trust
$20/month, when rewards requirements are met

Bank2 Great Rate Checking
$50/month, when rewards requirements are met, rebates post monthly

Bank of Blue Valley

Bank of Fayetteville Smart Checking

Captial Bank
$20/month limit, when rewards requirements are met; reimbursements post monthly

Citizens Bank Minnesota WooHoo Checking

Coulee Bank

First East Side Savings Bank Rewards Checking

First New England Federal Credit Union

First State Bank

Jeff Davis Bank and Trust Reward Checking

Liberty Bank eSmart Checking

North Country Savings Bank Advantage Checking

Provident Credit Union Super Reward Checking
$2.50/transaction, no limit(?), when rewards requirements are met

Royal Banks of Missouri Majestic Checking

State Bank of Toledo Hometown Reward Checking

West Bank Iowa Reward Me Checking
$25/month (maximum includes $1.50 West Bank foreign ATM fees), when rewards requirements are met

West Texas National Bank Ultimate Checking
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

it's a good idea, but you need to distinguish between 'surcharge refunds - all ATMs free' and 'surcharge refunds - all ATMS nationwide free.' Because that is a big difference. E Trade specifically reimburses nationally but not internationally, and I'm sure there are others that fall into that category.

Put down USAA. They refund ALL of them under any circumstance

EchoMatrix said: Put down USAA. They refund ALL of them under any circumstance

If by all, you mean only $15, then yes.

Citibank will, under two circumstances: you have $500,000 in deposits with them, or if you open your account online and your mailing address is outside any of the areas served by their branches.

Fidelity brokerage with atm access will do it if you are a gold member (I think 500K HH accounts) and limited to $75.00/yr. In this day and age, if I go to the atm once per month it is rare.

Charles schwab seems to be the best to me. I don't personally use any other on the list, however, they unconditionally reimburse ALL my ATM fees AND pay me 1.97 interest. (As of last time I checked, a week ago or so...)

Merrill Lynch "Beyond Banking" reimburses up to $200 a year.

I use Fidelity Mysmartcash.

I've always wondered what the limit is to the unlimited reimbursements. There's got a be a point at which they call and ask to end their relationship with you.

Dman081 said: I've always wondered what the limit is to the unlimited reimbursements. There's got a be a point at which they call and ask to end their relationship with you.Etrade even says as much (right on the promo page, not even buried in the terms):
In the event E*TRADE Bank in its sole discretion determines that there has been either fraudulent or excessive use of the feature on a given account, E*TRADE Bank reserves the right to remove this feature and not refund the ATM fees.
It'd be interesting to know if anyone has suffered such punishment, and at what usage level it occured.

Capital One (have to sign up at a Virginia branch however) has the best for ATM's anywhere in the world -- you may have to ask them to credit overseas charges but they will do it. Also they don't screw you on the 1% forex fee.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/842855

gmacbank

thok said: Citibank will, under two circumstances: you have $500,000 in deposits with them, or if you open your account online and your mailing address is outside any of the areas served by their branches.

Also, don't forget that 7/11's have 'genuine' Citibank ATM's now, so you can do transactions there without a fee.

Also, when I used the ATM machine in the cafeteria at my work earlier this year, I didn't get charged a fee for some reason. Perhaps Citibank's ATM network is pretty big?

Everbank... I think is $6.00/ month reimb.

agentjfong said: thok said: Citibank will, under two circumstances: you have $500,000 in deposits with them, or if you open your account online and your mailing address is outside any of the areas served by their branches.

Also, don't forget that 7/11's have 'genuine' Citibank ATM's now, so you can do transactions there without a fee.

Also, when I used the ATM machine in the cafeteria at my work earlier this year, I didn't get charged a fee for some reason. Perhaps Citibank's ATM network is pretty big?

Not quite "genuine"...they are Cardtronics atms and have been BRANDED with Ciibank's name...which means Citi customers can use them free, of course....as well as people who have COOP Network, or ALLPOINT cards as well!

Next best type of debit/atm card to have (other then ones where you get all your atm charges refunded) is from a Credit union that participates in both the COOP and ALLPOINT Networks.....you can't use every atm for free, but one will find about 75,000 of these nationwide....and with those, you don't get rebates because your withdrawals are free to begin with

Could we please limit discussion to accounts/banks that offer free access to ALL ATMs nationwide, regardless of where it is located, what network it is on, or who ownes it, or if a surcharge is applied at the machine? Virtually every debit card offers free use of certain ATMs at certain locations.

Glitch99 said: Could we please limit discussion to accounts/banks that offer free access to ALL ATMs nationwide, regardless of where it is located, what network it is on, or who ownes it, or if a surcharge is applied at the machine? Virtually every debit card offers free use of certain ATMs at certain locations.Also, it would be nice to have notes on whether or not the same policies apply for international ATMs, or the thread title should be modified to reflect that discussion is limited to domestic ATMs.

National City Bank Elite Checking refunds foreign ATM fees ($2 per transaction) up to 30 transactions per month. But as they are being merged into PNC Bank shortly, who knows what will happen.

For people who get ATM surcharges refunded - does your bank refund the exact amount of the surcharge, or a flat rate per foreign ATM transaction?

kranky said: For people who get ATM surcharges refunded - does your bank refund the exact amount of the surcharge, or a flat rate per foreign ATM transaction?The exact amount, unless there is a per-transaction cap.

mttatkns said: Glitch99 said: Could we please limit discussion to accounts/banks that offer free access to ALL ATMs nationwide, regardless of where it is located, what network it is on, or who ownes it, or if a surcharge is applied at the machine? Virtually every debit card offers free use of certain ATMs at certain locations.Also, it would be nice to have notes on whether or not the same policies apply for international ATMs, or the thread title should be modified to reflect that discussion is limited to domestic ATMs.This is harder to determine with a cursory review of the bank's website, it often requires reviewing the actual account T&C or contacting the bank directly to find out (and as I never leave the country, I have no incentive to dig up such details myself).

But as the OP notes, anyone with knowledge about reimbursements for international withdrawals is free to make a note for that bank. For frequent, or even infrequent, travelers, it would be valuable information.

Glitch99 said: kranky said: For people who get ATM surcharges refunded - does your bank refund the exact amount of the surcharge, or a flat rate per foreign ATM transaction?The exact amount, unless there is a per-transaction cap.

The reason I asked is that I get refunded $2 each time, even when I use a foreign ATM that does not charge me a fee.

kranky said: Glitch99 said: kranky said: For people who get ATM surcharges refunded - does your bank refund the exact amount of the surcharge, or a flat rate per foreign ATM transaction?The exact amount, unless there is a per-transaction cap.

The reason I asked is that I get refunded $2 each time, even when I use a foreign ATM that does not charge me a fee.
What bank? Is the bank itself charging a foreign ATM fee for using an out-of-network ATM, then refunding it? Or are you actually gaining $2 each time?

Honestly, I never understood why anybody would use a bank that did not reimburse them for atm usage. When I am out with friends and they "have to find a chase" bank or whatever, I just shake my head and wonder why they would add that kind of stress to their lives. Sure, they wonder how I can spend time making 10 debit card transactions every month to earn 6% on 25,000 and 5.5% on 50,000, but you'll never catch me struggling to find an atm machine that won't charge me a fee.

Glitch99 said: kranky said: Glitch99 said: kranky said: For people who get ATM surcharges refunded - does your bank refund the exact amount of the surcharge, or a flat rate per foreign ATM transaction?The exact amount, unless there is a per-transaction cap.
What bank? Is the bank itself charging a foreign ATM fee for using an out-of-network ATM, then refunding it? Or are you actually gaining $2 each time?

National City. There is an ATM from another bank in the building where I work. That particular ATM does not charge a fee to withdraw cash regardless of what bank the ATM user is with, and I assume that was a condition of allowing the bank to put the ATM in our building. This is the only non-National City ATM I have ever used (or needed to use) because of its convenience. My National City account does not charge me a fee for using an out-of-network ATM, and rebates the charges that an out-of-network ATM charges (this is the way they advertise it). So National City does not charge me a fee, and in this case neither does the out-of-network ATM.

Each time I withdraw cash from that ATM, I get refunded $2 from National City on my statement. So indeed I am ahead $2 for each use.

DavidScubadiver said: Honestly, I never understood why anybody would use a bank that did not reimburse them for atm usage. When I am out with friends and they "have to find a chase" bank or whatever, I just shake my head and wonder why they would add that kind of stress to their lives.

Same here. In my neck of the woods (Philadelphia), everyone goes to WaWa, a better version of 7-Eleven, since their ATMs are surcharge-free. It kinda annoys me because we have to make an out-of-the-way trip to one and then stand in line because there are 10 other people trying to withdraw money. I just withdraw money at the bar, corner bank, wherever...because I have a Fidelity mysmartcash with unlimited ATM withdrawals.

I use Fidelity mySmartCash. No fees anywhere, and no minimum balance.

I have to give +1 to Charles Schwab. I have used them for about a year now. They have refunded every single ATM surcharge and I just called them to confirm their international ATM fees. They will reimburse any ATM fee I incur while abroad. Their customer support is also amazing.

EDIT: I love not caring where I withdraw my money from.

I was surprised that HSBC reimbursed me for the $4.99 extortionate ATM fee at one of the Vegas casinos. Twice!

It is also important to note that banks like Citibank often have affiliates.

Citibank customers can use any Citibank, 7-11, or moneypass atm for free. (You would be hard pressed to find an area without 1 of those 3).

Correction on the TD Bank. Any previous Commerce Bank (recently bought by TD) customers already have the $2500 minimum balance. There is a cap of $10 per month.

If you are a preferred plus member at Compass Bank in Texas and other southern states, they will automatically refund you any fees.. used an ATM in Vegas, for instance - $5 dollar fee - took out $20 - charged $25 - there was an immediate $5 dollar "credit" to the 25 dollar "debit".

Horseymen said: If you are a preferred plus member at Compass Bank in Texas and other southern states, they will automatically refund you any fees.. used an ATM in Vegas, for instance - $5 dollar fee - took out $20 - charged $25 - there was an immediate $5 dollar "credit" to the 25 dollar "debit".Is this the same Compass Bank already listed in the QS? Because that one's website says you need to mail in ATM receipts to get the rebates.

If you are talking about a different "Compass Bank" give us some more details/website link, and we'll add it to the list; if its the same and your experience says there's no need to mail in receipts, it should be noted on the list.

EDIT: Same bank, but the higher-tier "Prefered Plus" relationship - requiring a $100,000 combined balance at the bank - is needed to qualify for automatic rebates.

what about strip club atm's that charge a crazy $10 fee?

For what it's worth, I've been with Acacia Federal Savings Bank (Falls Church, VA) for several years (even though I now live in Vegas) and their customer service is excellent. Moving to Vegas, I kept my account with them and opened a Wachovia account (so I could have a local safety deposit box) - but I actually haven't used the Wachovia account once - everything's with Acacia. They are REALLY good!

If everyone stopped using ATM's for a week or two and cashed checks anywhere they can be cashed, the lending institutions would soon wake up! Yes, it's slightly inconvenient, but after the bailout without any significant ramifications, evenly indirectly to local ATM's, the most inept have to get the idea that the public distrust is at an all time high and waiving the charge might be a simple way to "sweeten" their image to the general public. Who knows, the CEO's might get a free donut or cup of coffee(lol)!

If everyone stopped using ATM's for a week or two and cashed checks anywhere they can be cashed, the lending institutions would soon wake up! Yes, it's slightly inconvenient, but after the bailout without any significant ramifications, evenly indirectly to local ATM's, the most inept have to get the idea that the public disttust is at an all time high and waiving the charge might be a simple way to "sweeten" their image to the general public. Who knows, the CEO's might get a free donut or cup of coffee(lol)!

soushi said: If everyone stopped using ATM's for a week or two and cashed checks anywhere they can be cashed, the lending institutions would soon wake up! Yes, it's slightly inconvenient, but after the bailout without any significant ramifications, evenly indirectly to local ATM's, the most inept have to get the idea that the public distrust is at an all time high and waiving the charge might be a simple way to "sweeten" their image to the general public. Who knows, the CEO's might get a free donut or cup of coffee(lol)!What in the world does ATMs and cashing checks have to do with lending institutions and bailout money?

And more importantly, what does any of it have to do with banks that rebate third-party ATM surcharges?

Great Florida Bank Unlimited ATM Usage Worldwide, REIMBURSED THE SAME day.

Skipping 105 Messages...
t60 said: Look at grex's past threads/posts..

All I see now is "Ignored User" or "Quote ignored"

You won't win the battle, as was pointed out in the Alliant thread, grex is on another planet (grex, please don't take that as an invitation to talk about being from Mars..).

I switched to "modern" from "classic" just so can do this. First member on my ignore list.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014