• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
hipnetic said:   Here's a tip related to an experience of mine: Make sure when you're calculating a ROI that you're not leaving anything out. My example:

Last fall my landscaper wanted to charge me over $300 to do fall cleanup (mostly blowing leaves into the woods surrounding my property). The prior year, I watched them (about 4 of them) do the job using 2-3 backpack leafblowers and one push-behind leaf blower. I think it took them a couple of hours. I figured, hey, that's not too hard. I looked into blower options and decided to buy a contractor-grade backpack blower for about $500. Adding in the cost of fuel, I figured it would only take two years to pay for itself. I figured if it took them 1.5-2 hours to do the job, maybe I could get it done in 6.

Well, it turned out to be a *LOT* more work and consumed a *TON* more gas than I thought it would. It may be that my approach was way off (so lack of a skill could be a factor), but I think I just underestimated how productive they were actually being with the extra guys and machines. After working on the yard for several days (2-4 hours per day) and burning through a whole case of 50:1 fuel, I found myself regretting my money-saving decision.

On a similar topic, I feel like I *have* made a wise decision since being in this house to pay landscapers to handle my regular lawn maintenance. I feel a little guilty when it comes up in conversation that I pay someone to mow my lawn instead of doing it myself, but the math never made sense to me because:
1) My lawn is quite large
2) The guys I use seem very reasonably priced (though I still think their fall cleanup quote seems high considering most of the guys are probably getting paid very little per hour/day)
3) My 2-car garage is very small and has no spare room to store a suitably-sized lawnmower. Buying a lawnmower might require also buying a shed to store it.
4) My lawn isn't a rich healthy super-green all-grass lawn, so it grows pretty slowly. I can delay starting the mowing season quite a bit, and most of the summer it only requires a mowing every other week.

Even if I *could* squeeze a mower inside my garage, a decent ride-on zero-turn mower on the smaller side would cost me about $2000. Totaling up the cost of the mower, gas, occasionall tune-ups, and the gray area of the "value of my time" and then comparing that to what I pay my landscapers x the number of times I need them to come, it would take several years to see a ROI if I bought a mower and mowed my own lawn.

It would be even better if I could find a guy who offered to mow my lawn, did the work without a contract in place, and never got around to billing me until a couple of years later.

I have started to be of this mentality as well.  Particularly if it is not a job I enjoy (see cleaning).  It is fairly simple.  If I would earn $X in the time it would take me to clean the house, and someone else could do it (and bring their own supplies) for less than $X, it is a no brainer.  If I really don't like the task, I put a multiplier in front of X.

rated:
Watch DVDs at 110% of regular speed. Vlc does this seamlessly and doesn't distort the audio. Watch a few movies and you've saved a half hour or more.

I don't really have time to watch much, so I'll even crank it past 10% speed increase and fit a full movie in an hour or so.

rated:
While speeding up movies isn't horrible if you can tolerate it and choose to do it yourself, the idea makes me grimace. Mostly because some TV stations are now speeding up their TV show playback slightly so they can have more time for commercials. Compare the play time of the episodes if you can't tell by the audio alone.

It's jarring when you like a particular actor's voice all season and then recently it sounds like they've inhaled some helium. :/

rated:
When I was young, and I do not have too much money , the time is useless to me, and I will do the things by myself. When I get older , I have lots of money, I pay the money to hire someone to do things becuase I wan to save my time.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015