• filter:
  • 15 6 78919
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Well you can be like that Astronaut chick and wear diapers when on the road so you don't have to stop for 'bathroom breaks'

rated:
MikeR397 said: orrd said: If remodeling your kitchen, install 2 dishwashers and never waste time emptying the dishwasher again. One is the "clean" one and one is the "dirty" one (use those little magnet signs). Use dishes directly out of the clean one, and put the dirty dishes in the other one. By the time the dirty one is full, the clean one is just about empty and you run the dirty one and switch the signs so that the dirty one is the clean one, and vice versa. So effectively your dishwasher replaces the purpose of your dish cabinets, which saves tons of time you used to waste emptying the dishwasher. I've been doing it this way for almost a year now in a house with four people and it really works well.Wow, I love this! I'm fine with putting things in the dishwasher, but the roomate is not so great at unloading, and I often feel too lazy to unload the whole thing, so dirty dishes tend to pile up. Two dishwasers would be a very nice luxury.

I'm not knowledgeable about plumbing so this may be a stupid question, but are there any complications with hooking up the water for the 2 dishwashers?

rated:
I think I am going to follow these religiously, like other threads and I am sure I am going to improve. I will post back. I have CTS and weight issue and hopefully I will get rid of those also.

rated:
TrueValue said: MikeR397 said: orrd said: If remodeling your kitchen, install 2 dishwashers and never waste time emptying the dishwasher again. One is the "clean" one and one is the "dirty" one (use those little magnet signs). Use dishes directly out of the clean one, and put the dirty dishes in the other one. By the time the dirty one is full, the clean one is just about empty and you run the dirty one and switch the signs so that the dirty one is the clean one, and vice versa. So effectively your dishwasher replaces the purpose of your dish cabinets, which saves tons of time you used to waste emptying the dishwasher. I've been doing it this way for almost a year now in a house with four people and it really works well.Wow, I love this! I'm fine with putting things in the dishwasher, but the roomate is not so great at unloading, and I often feel too lazy to unload the whole thing, so dirty dishes tend to pile up. Two dishwasers would be a very nice luxury.

I'm not knowledgeable about plumbing so this may be a stupid question, but are there any complications with hooking up the water for the 2 dishwashers?

They aren't going to be running at the SAME time, just a simple tee joint is required.

rated:
Kingofthenet said: TrueValue said: MikeR397 said: orrd said: If remodeling your kitchen, install 2 dishwashers and never waste time emptying the dishwasher again. One is the "clean" one and one is the "dirty" one (use those little magnet signs). Use dishes directly out of the clean one, and put the dirty dishes in the other one. By the time the dirty one is full, the clean one is just about empty and you run the dirty one and switch the signs so that the dirty one is the clean one, and vice versa. So effectively your dishwasher replaces the purpose of your dish cabinets, which saves tons of time you used to waste emptying the dishwasher. I've been doing it this way for almost a year now in a house with four people and it really works well.Wow, I love this! I'm fine with putting things in the dishwasher, but the roomate is not so great at unloading, and I often feel too lazy to unload the whole thing, so dirty dishes tend to pile up. Two dishwasers would be a very nice luxury.

They aren't going to be running at the SAME time, just a simple tee joint is required.
Why would running them at the same time create any problems? I cannot think of any. In fact I have run the dishwasher and the washing machine at the same time and at times while I have been using the bathroom and someone else taking a shower with no problems.

rated:
DCU.org PC Deposit Never have to drive to an Bank or ATM to deposit a check. Just scan them in on the Scanner at home and it posts to the checking account same day.

http://www.dcu.org/electronic_services/pcdeposit.html

rated:
katx said: Kingofthenet said: TrueValue said: MikeR397 said: orrd said: If remodeling your kitchen, install 2 dishwashers and never waste time emptying the dishwasher again. One is the "clean" one and one is the "dirty" one (use those little magnet signs). Use dishes directly out of the clean one, and put the dirty dishes in the other one. By the time the dirty one is full, the clean one is just about empty and you run the dirty one and switch the signs so that the dirty one is the clean one, and vice versa. So effectively your dishwasher replaces the purpose of your dish cabinets, which saves tons of time you used to waste emptying the dishwasher. I've been doing it this way for almost a year now in a house with four people and it really works well.Wow, I love this! I'm fine with putting things in the dishwasher, but the roomate is not so great at unloading, and I often feel too lazy to unload the whole thing, so dirty dishes tend to pile up. Two dishwasers would be a very nice luxury.

Why would running them at the same time create any problems? I cannot think of any. In fact I have run the dishwasher and the washing machine at the same time and at times while I have been using the bathroom and someone else taking a shower with no problems.

Well, in the common setup, the dishwasher pumps the wastewater upwards a bit into the garbage disposal of your kitchen sink. See: http://www.terrylove.com/images/sink_dw.jpg

Now, if you just connect the dishwashers, the pressure from the operating one will try to push the wastewater into the non-operating one. Depending on the sort of pumps used in the dishwasher there may be no mechanism to prevent that. I would definitely put some type of back flow preventer on each of the washer's exits, if there is not one there already. http://www.albertsterling.com/vannesansfond.gif

rated:
thinwallet4d said: katx said: Kingofthenet said: TrueValue said: MikeR397 said: orrd said: If remodeling your kitchen, install 2 dishwashers and never waste time emptying the dishwasher again. One is the "clean" one and one is the "dirty" one (use those little magnet signs). Use dishes directly out of the clean one, and put the dirty dishes in the other one. By the time the dirty one is full, the clean one is just about empty and you run the dirty one and switch the signs so that the dirty one is the clean one, and vice versa. So effectively your dishwasher replaces the purpose of your dish cabinets, which saves tons of time you used to waste emptying the dishwasher. I've been doing it this way for almost a year now in a house with four people and it really works well.Wow, I love this! I'm fine with putting things in the dishwasher, but the roomate is not so great at unloading, and I often feel too lazy to unload the whole thing, so dirty dishes tend to pile up. Two dishwasers would be a very nice luxury.

Well, in the common setup, the dishwasher pumps the wastewater upwards a bit into the garbage disposal of your kitchen sink. See: http://www.terrylove.com/images/sink_dw.jpg

Now, if you just connect the dishwashers, the pressure from the operating one will try to push the wastewater into the non-operating one. Depending on the sort of pumps used in the dishwasher there may be no mechanism to prevent that. I would definitely put some type of back flow preventer on each of the washer's exits, if there is not one there already. http://www.albertsterling.com/vannesansfond.gif
The problem that you mentioned (a very legitimate one) is about having two DWs, period, and not about running them together. In fact if both are run at the same time, the problem that you mentioned disappears.

rated:
katx said: thinwallet4d said: katx said: Kingofthenet said: TrueValue said: MikeR397 said: orrd said: If remodeling your kitchen, install 2 dishwashers and never waste time emptying the dishwasher again. One is the "clean" one and one is the "dirty" one (use those little magnet signs). Use dishes directly out of the clean one, and put the dirty dishes in the other one. By the time the dirty one is full, the clean one is just about empty and you run the dirty one and switch the signs so that the dirty one is the clean one, and vice versa. So effectively your dishwasher replaces the purpose of your dish cabinets, which saves tons of time you used to waste emptying the dishwasher. I've been doing it this way for almost a year now in a house with four people and it really works well.Wow, I love this! I'm fine with putting things in the dishwasher, but the roomate is not so great at unloading, and I often feel too lazy to unload the whole thing, so dirty dishes tend to pile up. Two dishwasers would be a very nice luxury.

The problem that you mentioned (a very legitimate one) is about having two DWs, period, and not about running them together. In fact if both are run at the same time, the problem that you mentioned disappears.

And the tip is about having 2 dishwashers, with only one working at a time. Then there was a question and some replies speculating about problems with the hookup, which I answered. And if you DO want to run them at the same time, then you still have this potential problem unless you time the dishwashers to pump the wastewater at exactly the same time for exactly the same duration, which I would not rely on even for exactly the same model of dishwasher.

rated:
tim1 said: DCU.org PC Deposit Never have to drive to an Bank or ATM to deposit a check. Just scan them in on the Scanner at home and it posts to the checking account same day.

http://www.dcu.org/electronic_services/pcdeposit.html

just brilliant !

i love dcu

rated:
thinwallet4d said: katx said: thinwallet4d said: katx said: Kingofthenet said: TrueValue said: MikeR397 said: orrd said: If remodeling your kitchen, install 2 dishwashers and never waste time emptying the dishwasher again. One is the "clean" one and one is the "dirty" one (use those little magnet signs). Use dishes directly out of the clean one, and put the dirty dishes in the other one. By the time the dirty one is full, the clean one is just about empty and you run the dirty one and switch the signs so that the dirty one is the clean one, and vice versa. So effectively your dishwasher replaces the purpose of your dish cabinets, which saves tons of time you used to waste emptying the dishwasher. I've been doing it this way for almost a year now in a house with four people and it really works well.Wow, I love this! I'm fine with putting things in the dishwasher, but the roomate is not so great at unloading, and I often feel too lazy to unload the whole thing, so dirty dishes tend to pile up. Two dishwasers would be a very nice luxury.

And the tip is about having 2 dishwashers, with only one working at a time. Then there was a question and some replies speculating about problems with the hookup, which I answered. And if you DO want to run them at the same time, then you still have this potential problem unless you time the dishwashers to pump the wastewater at exactly the same time for exactly the same duration, which I would not rely on even for exactly the same model of dishwasher.
You are right again. Good thinking. Thanks.

rated:
Running both dishwashers would not be a problem if they each had their own air gap. No filling each other with water. After all, that's what the air gap is for. It prevents backflow into the dishwasher. With individual air gaps, you may run any of the two DWs in any combination.

rated:
What about six dishwashers and a little spicy mexican??

rated:
Get an underground sprinkler system w/ timer installed.

rated:
Use run-down batteries in your watch, it will add up to two minutes every hour.

rated:
Now, if you just connect the dishwashers, the pressure from the operating one will try to push the wastewater into the non-operating one. Depending on the sort of pumps used in the dishwasher there may be no mechanism to prevent that. I would definitely put some type of back flow preventer on each of the washer's exits, if there is not one there already.
I think dishwashers usually have built-in backflow preventers (not sure, I'm just guessing). I just looked, and the two dishwashers each have a smaller diameter tube (3/4"?) that are connected to a tee to larger tube (1"?) that connects to the disposal. I don't think there's any problem with running them both at the same time, but I haven't had a reason to try it. The plumber should be able to handle this because it isn't entirely uncommon to have two dishwashers that are intended to be run at the same time (it's just the idea of using one for dirty dishes and one for clean instead of putting away dishes that is unusual).

rated:
Another idea, put gutter guards on your rain gutters so you don't have to clean them. The "microscreen" type is by far the best, and the only kind that really keeps all of the junk out of your gutters... but they are expensive. The quote I got was $4000 for just putting the GutterGlove on my 2100sf house's gutters. That's almost 3 times what the gutters themselves cost. Currently microscreen gutter guards are made by three companies that I know of: GutterGlove, LeafFilter, and Mastershield. This is the best info I've found on the subject: http://gutterguardsdirect.com/guttertalk/?tag=mastershield

rated:
That's a good idea. I did spent a boatload of $ to get those installed because a friend that works in construction recommended them. They come out to give you a quote and throw out some CRAZY price (i.e. $16,000) and just level with them - "Let's not waste our time. I will pay you $6,000 for them, you leave the old gutters (to recycle = $100-$150 in aluminum, YMMV) and replace the wood behind the gutters. They did a GREAT job on our house and I haven't had to clean our gutters in a while. If for any reason they get gunked up, they come out to fix them. (hasn't happened to me yet) Also it transfers when you sell the house. (the warranty)

Good luck.

rated:
For news, read only headlines.

At work, setup meetings with yourself so others can't book you.

rated:
Nobody has mentioned how much saving you can have when you shop your grocery at the local Asican grocery store. The quality, price and variety are unbeatable! I live in Cleveland OH. I buy shrimps for $3.99/pound ( the one with head and shell), $7.99 for lobster/pound(live),$4.59 for live talipia, delicious tofu for like a dollar/pound, fresh bakery, roasted pork, duck, chicken all around $3-5/pound, all kinds of goodies. Believe me, I have seen lots of American do their grocery there too.

rated:
Um, again: This thread is for saving TIME not MONEY.

rated:
katx said: thinwallet4d said: katx said: thinwallet4d said: katx said: Kingofthenet said: TrueValue said: MikeR397 said: orrd said: If remodeling your kitchen, install 2 dishwashers and never waste time emptying the dishwasher again. One is the "clean" one and one is the "dirty" one (use those little magnet signs). Use dishes directly out of the clean one, and put the dirty dishes in the other one. By the time the dirty one is full, the clean one is just about empty and you run the dirty one and switch the signs so that the dirty one is the clean one, and vice versa. So effectively your dishwasher replaces the purpose of your dish cabinets, which saves tons of time you used to waste emptying the dishwasher. I've been doing it this way for almost a year now in a house with four people and it really works well.Wow, I love this! I'm fine with putting things in the dishwasher, but the roomate is not so great at unloading, and I often feel too lazy to unload the whole thing, so dirty dishes tend to pile up. Two dishwasers would be a very nice luxury.

You are right again. Good thinking. Thanks.

Spending money to hire a licensed plumber so I don't need to waste time thinking about these things.

rated:
This is turning into a plumbers discussion. Can we stop talking about the dishwasher configuration and installation?

rated:
davegolden99 said: This is turning into a plumbers discussion. Can we stop talking about the dishwasher configuration and installation?

thanks !

rated:
VanceWade said: Um, again: This thread is for saving TIME not MONEY.Maybe the lines are faster in those stores.

rated:
Subscribe to Print edition of WSJ. It's much easier to scan through all the news while drinking morning coffee when reading it from the computer screen. Plus, you can still read it online...

rated:
Send all photos online for printing. It's cheaper and easier then printing your photos yourself on color pinter. For even better convenience, instead of printing photos, print photo books. MyPublisher does a great job.

rated:
Use online scanning service for all receipts, etc. versus scanning it yourself. Pixily, for example

rated:
Not scanning receipts at all saves more time. I have only ever needed a receipt for warranty issues for just a couple things. Just save receipts for the big ticket items you buy, and have a certain space they go. Searching through 10 receipts is a lot easier than a whole years worth.

rated:
pthor1231 said: Not scanning receipts at all saves more time. I have only ever needed a receipt for warranty issues for just a couple things. Just save receipts for the big ticket items you buy, and have a certain space they go. Searching through 10 receipts is a lot easier than a whole years worth.

And it's much less of a timesink to rifle through a few dozen receipts once or twice as needed than to buy, set up, install and learn the software, scan in the receipts, label them, save them, back them up, etc. I'm sure the process can vary, but it still seems like a waste of time for Joe Consumer.

rated:
Instead of making own spreadsheet, use http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/itsdeductible/index.js... I've used It's Deductibe for years--easy, and donations save a bunch on taxes. You used to have to pay for it, but now it's free. Estimates prices for items, calculates total, provides print-outs, etc. Great program.

OP: Keep a large cardboard box in a closet in your home. Any time you run across an item in your house you never use but haven't thrown away because it seems to have some value or potential use, put the item in the box. Once or twice per year, make a spreadsheet estimating the value of the items and then donate it to a non-profit thrift store. Keep this simple: 10 men's shirts @ $5 each. I got a tax writeoff of $2,000 last year doing this. Some charities will come pick up your items. Just get their tax ID number and have them sign a printout of your list as received. If you don't think itemizing is worth your time, just give the items away and feel good about helping someone and having superfluous stuff out of your way/life.

rated:
Use a private mailbox service
-Can sign for Fedex/UPS/USPS packages, no more waiting for packages
-Additional address for US Mint, rebates, etc
-24/7 secured access, better privacy
-Ability to keep same address when moving within same area

rated:
pthor1231 said: Not scanning receipts at all saves more time. I have only ever needed a receipt for warranty issues for just a couple things. Just save receipts for the big ticket items you buy, and have a certain space they go. Searching through 10 receipts is a lot easier than a whole years worth.

I think the suggestion with Pixily is that you don't have to scan it yourself. You just box up all your docs and send it in to a service and they scan it and OCR it. Then when you want something you just do a text search and you can track it down (online or even on your iphone -- It looks pretty good.

http://www.pixily.com/

Any one else using this and can comment?

rated:
zmre2b9 said: pthor1231 said: Not scanning receipts at all saves more time. I have only ever needed a receipt for warranty issues for just a couple things. Just save receipts for the big ticket items you buy, and have a certain space they go. Searching through 10 receipts is a lot easier than a whole years worth.

I think the suggestion with Pixily is that you don't have to scan it yourself. You just box up all your docs and send it in to a service and they scan it and OCR it. Then when you want something you just do a text search and you can track it down (online or even on your iphone -- It looks pretty good.

http://www.pixily.com/

Any one else using this and can comment?

Exactly. This service is primarily for people who need receipts for expense reporting. This is not good for rebates and occasional receipt scanning. You must have 100+ receipts per month for it to be a time saver.

I have not used pixily myself, since I don't travel right now, but when was traveling, it would have saved me a lot of time.

rated:
Use of the free (for up to 2 gigabytes) online storage via Dropbox. I use the site to store files I want to be able to access from anywhere, so that in the event I do not have a thumb drive with me, I can still get to the files. Its a great interface and updates almost instantly whenever you change or add a file in the "dropbox" file on your PC. The above is a "referral" link which simply nets the referrer and the referee a little bit of extra space. If you prefer a non-referral link, use this one.

ETA: I use moneydance to track my account balances, etc., and I set up the "backup" file to go to my "dropbox" folder, so every time I close out my program, it automatically backs up on my hard drive and over the internet. Of course, I have the file set to "encrypt" and have a nice lengthy password to open. This is a huge time saver for me because I don't have to load up my thumbdrive every time I want to access my moneydance data.

rated:
Use Keyboard shortcuts as opposed to just the mouse.

Link for Windows based shortcuts

Link for Mac based shortcuts

Great topic!

rated:
hannibal88 said: Use Keyboard shortcuts as opposed to just the mouse.

Link for Windows based shortcuts

Link for Mac based shortcuts

Great topic!

Conversely, use a mouse with several buttons and map keystrokes to the extra buttons. Copy, Paste, ENTER, and BACKSPACE are mapped to mine.

rated:
Cake Financial is a good way to quickly track investment returns (including dividends). They do a real cash-in/cash out IRR on your investment portfolio. See details at:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/905316

rated:
zmre2b9 said: Cake Financial is a good way to quickly track investment returns (including dividends). They do a real cash-in/cash out IRR on your investment portfolio. See details at:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/905316
And the beauty is, it does it all automatically and imports a lot of your past history so you have nothing to do manually.

rated:
If you buy a bike on-line, take it to toysrus and get it assembled for $10. Much better than spending 2-3 hours of your time + buying the tools to assemble yourself ( which I tried and failed )

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014