• filter:
  • 111 12 13141519
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I'd almost be inclined to take your advice just because if you're like me you're not too good at just going to a lot and replacing a vehicle at the drop of a hat. This cost me some rental car $$. However, in my case, the transmision went out -- then what? Additional insurance wouldn't have helped me. This leads me to conclude that if you drive a beater, you need to be ready to hustle for yourself when the time comes, whether it's arranging alternative transportation, getting a new car or knowing a goood mechanic who can get you back on the road in no time flat.

rated:
it would be better if the bulk of your entry was placed in QS. That way, people can just add to an already-great list.

rated:
Use Dragon Dictation to save the time needed to type on your iPhone or iPad.
Use DropBox to store important files where you can get access to them wherever you have an internet connection.

rated:
stop randomly surfing the web and reading forums

rated:
Psycho41 said: Banking

Get a checking account that lets you mail in checks in using pre-paid envelopes, such as Schwab Investor Checking or Fidelity Mysmart Cash. One less errand to run during the day.

Just an update, I had a Fidelity rep tell me they no longer do this.

[me]: Initial Question/Comment: I remember receiving pre-paid deposit slip envelopes when I ordered mySmart Cash account deposit slips. In my last order, I received envelopes requiring a stamp. Does Fidelity no longer provide pre-paid envelopes?
[rep]: Please give me a moment to determine if prepaid envelopes are still a available for these accounts.
[me]: Thank you.
[rep]: Thank you for your patience.
[rep]: We no longer provide prepaid envelopes for these accounts.
[me]: I see. Do you provide pre-paid envelopes for any other type of account?
[rep]: No, not at this time.
[me]: Ok, thank you.

I haven't heard anything about Schwab.

rated:
palswim said: Psycho41 said: Banking

Get a checking account that lets you mail in checks in using pre-paid envelopes, such as Schwab Investor Checking or Fidelity Mysmart Cash. One less errand to run during the day.

Just an update, I had a Fidelity rep tell me they no longer do this.

[me]: Initial Question/Comment: I remember receiving pre-paid deposit slip envelopes when I ordered mySmart Cash account deposit slips. In my last order, I received envelopes requiring a stamp. Does Fidelity no longer provide pre-paid envelopes?
[rep]: Please give me a moment to determine if prepaid envelopes are still a available for these accounts.
[me]: Thank you.
[rep]: Thank you for your patience.
[rep]: We no longer provide prepaid envelopes for these accounts.
[me]: I see. Do you provide pre-paid envelopes for any other type of account?
[rep]: No, not at this time.
[me]: Ok, thank you.

I haven't heard anything about Schwab.

Well that sucks. I wonder how long the existing pre-paid envelopes will work. Maybe it's time to switch to Schwab or Ally for checking...

rated:
Thanx for your information..

rated:
Having the Wall Street Journal delivered on my iPad every morning so I don't have to wait for the paper to be delivered before starting my day.

rated:
FWF stratergies help in savin time..Autopay all utilities, other recurring charges: I try to have them charged to a credit card, rather than withdrawn from checking (to maximize cc points, minimize revealing bank account info, and to be able to dispute the cc charge if there is a problem). this could be done practically.

rated:
Time=Money this statement is truly said.More of the time to business more money u get.From the previous thread on this topic it is clear that some people have strong views re whether it is moral to hire a maid, do your own laundry, clean your own gutters etc.

rated:
Huh? How can it be immoral to pay somebody money to do a chore? On that theory it would be immoral for my company to hire me to do the work I do. Employment is not immoral if you pay a fair wage, etc.

rated:
DavidScubadiver said: Huh? How can it be immoral to pay somebody money to do a chore? On that theory it would be immoral for my company to hire me to do the work I do. Employment is not immoral if you pay a fair wage, etc.

Replace fair with market and we're in agreement.

rated:
I want to subscribe to WSJ also. Do you know any good deal? Thanks!

DavidScubadiver said: Having the Wall Street Journal delivered on my iPad every morning so I don't have to wait for the paper to be delivered before starting my day.

rated:
They are always offering good deals. I suggest signing up for the "free" online journal, give them your email address as required and then wait about a day before the offers come in, and see if they are better than you can find through Google. I am glad I gave up the paper version but sad that the iPad version lacks the technology section...and I wonder what other articles I am missing.

rated:
Get an SSD drive. So fast and so worth it.

rated:
bmcgin said: I am lucky it is only 2” thick, usually this manufacturer only makes 2 3/8” thick. It has 4 industrial ball bearing hinges for smooth operation. The iron is 12 gauge steel which is very thick.

The manufacturer built a handful of these doors for a special order. Then the client realized he measured 4 wrong, so he lost his 50% deposit on these 4 doors. Because the doors are a few inches wider than a standard 6’ x 8’ door, the manufacturer is having a hard time reselling them. Usually this door sells complete with handles for $4000 plus shipping. I was able to buy it complete with handles and shipped to my home for $2000 no tax. This is less than a nice Home Depot door made out of fiberglass, which was my fallback plan.

We are converting a duplex into a single family home. The entry will be reframed, re-stuccoed and painted. Stairs and a portion of the center firewall are being removed. New hardwood floor is going in the living room. The remodel run between $8-12k depending on a few things. The door will take 3 or 4 men to set into place.

After remodel, the house’s value will gain by $200k. Our area is fairly non-standard. We live Panama City Beach where there is high demand for short term rentals. Even though we are not renting, much of the house’s value is determined by how well it can rent. In the last few years, many nice high rise were built and the 2 bed / 2 bath market is now flooded. So because each side of the our duplex is a 2/2, making it into a single family with 4 or 5 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms adds much value.

Here’s a picture of the door incase you’d like to see it: click here

It's amazing that you get that much value from a $2000 door. Is is a high-crime neighborhood or something? How much did the windows cost?

rated:
lastpass should be mentioned. Like roboform. Only better. And free.

rated:
Try not to use optical media unless necessary. I used to burn a lot of data to DVDs, but at this point HDDs are the better choice by far. You can find 2 TB internal HDDs for $110 easily, which means you are paying 5.37 cents per GB. DVD-Rs are usually 100 for $25, placing them at 5.32 cents per GB. The cost is virtually the same, as even a single coaster eliminates the less than 1% cost difference. You also save space in your home as a 2 TB HDD is the equivalent of 435 DVD-Rs. HDD are also far more convenient, as you can read/write to them easier and faster than a DVD-R. You also don’t have to flip through hundreds of discs to find the right one, or even waste time labeling discs (Or in my case, not labeling them, and then having to waste time later checking to see what’s on the disc.) If portability is a concern you can get an external HDD, or for small things a USB Flash Drive.

rated:
At restaurants, ask the server to bring you the check when you order your meal. Have cash on-hand with plenty of singles & fives (for the tip) so that you can pay for your meal and leave when you're ready to go. In this way, you're not sitting around after you're finished eating, waiting for the check, or waiting for the server to pick up and return your credit card, or waiting for change after paying with a large bill. Carry a 'tip card' in your wallet if you're unable to factor 15% or 20% in your head.

rated:
turtlebug said: Carry a 'tip card' in your wallet if you're unable to factor 15% or 20% in your head.I find it's usually pretty easy to determine 20%. Just divide by 5. A lot easier than actually multiplying by 0.20.

rated:
caterpillar123 said: turtlebug said: Carry a 'tip card' in your wallet if you're unable to factor 15% or 20% in your head.I find it's usually pretty easy to determine 20%. Just divide by 5. A lot easier than actually multiplying by 0.20.

To find 20%, move the decimal point over and double it. 15%, move the decimal point over, then add the number to half the number. Makes perfect sense to me, YMMV.

rated:
psychoslowmatic said: caterpillar123 said: turtlebug said: Carry a 'tip card' in your wallet if you're unable to factor 15% or 20% in your head.I find it's usually pretty easy to determine 20%. Just divide by 5. A lot easier than actually multiplying by 0.20.

To find 20%, move the decimal point over and double it. 15%, move the decimal point over, then add the number to half the number. Makes perfect sense to me, YMMV.

I've done all the types of calculations discussed but now that local sales tax is somewhat more than 9%, I just double the sales tax.

rated:
I just know 20% by looking at the subtotal? I round to the nearest dollar.

rated:
If I like the waitress, I just write my number on a hundred dollar bill.

rated:
caterpillar123 said: turtlebug said: Carry a 'tip card' in your wallet if you're unable to factor 15% or 20% in your head.I find it's usually pretty easy to determine 20%. Just divide by 5. A lot easier than actually multiplying by 0.20.Try multiplying by .10 (i.e., moving the decimal point over one place) and then doubling it.

137.00 x .10 = 13.70 x 2 = 27.40. Much easier than dividing 137 by 5.

rated:
DavidScubadiver said: caterpillar123 said: turtlebug said: Carry a 'tip card' in your wallet if you're unable to factor 15% or 20% in your head.I find it's usually pretty easy to determine 20%. Just divide by 5. A lot easier than actually multiplying by 0.20.Try multiplying by .10 (i.e., moving the decimal point over one place) and then doubling it.

137.00 x .10 = 13.70 x 2 = 27.40. Much easier than dividing 137 by 5.
I guess I could do that. Thanks for the tip. I usually just round the number to the nearest multiple of 5. I can divide 135 by 5 pretty quickly.

rated:
turtlebug said: At restaurants, ask the server to bring you the check when you order your meal. Have cash on-hand with plenty of singles & fives (for the tip) so that you can pay for your meal and leave when you're ready to go. In this way, you're not sitting around after you're finished eating, waiting for the check, or waiting for the server to pick up and return your credit card, or waiting for change after paying with a large bill. Carry a 'tip card' in your wallet if you're unable to factor 15% or 20% in your head.
There is no reason to ask for the check. You can do what I do and either leave the correct amount of cash on the table or just walk over to the cash register and hand them your credit card.

I am amazed people will just wait at their table after they have finished eating.

rated:
Not everybody is as clever as you and can figure out what their bill is. I, for one, can barely remember what I ordered after eating it. Forget about what it costs. On the other hand, I have no trouble getting a check when I want one...my trouble is remembering to sign the receipt. I can honestly say I have had people run after me no less than 10 times in my life because I took their copy (having added the tip and put it in my pocket) or because I did not sign the receipt after adding the tip. It is not just restaurants. I have had my tax checks returned to me for not signing them too. It would save me a great deal of time if they could just ignore signature requirements.

rated:
"* Get a car with a very long range on a full tank of fuel. Example: A VW Golf, Jetta, Beetle TDI Diesel with an 800 mile range per tank of Diesel (compare to 300-400 mile range for an "average" car.) This saves time by not requiring stopping at the filling station as often."

this makes little sense by itself. a 25mpg car with an 18 gallon tank will have approximately 2 less fill ups A YEAR than a 35mpg car with a 12 gallon tank. given the fact an 18 gallon tank car will almost certainly cost a whole lot more and the gas mileage will add to that, I suggest smaller more economic cars. if time=money, saving money on a car means you WORK LESS, SAVE TIME.

rated:
hcazual said: "* Get a car with a very long range on a full tank of fuel. Example: A VW Golf, Jetta, Beetle TDI Diesel with an 800 mile range per tank of Diesel (compare to 300-400 mile range for an "average" car.) This saves time by not requiring stopping at the filling station as often."

this makes little sense by itself. a 25mpg car with an 18 gallon tank will have approximately 2 less fill ups A YEAR than a 35mpg car with a 12 gallon tank. given the fact an 18 gallon tank car will almost certainly cost a whole lot more and the gas mileage will add to that, I suggest smaller more economic cars.

What part of "very long range" did you not understand? No one suggested buying a 450mpt car (miles-per-tank) over a 420mpt one. The example given was an 800mpt vs. 400mpt, an example which you conveniently ignored and replaced with a much crappier one. Strawman FTL.

hcazual said: if time=money, saving money on a car means you WORK LESS, SAVE TIME.
Well if your boss lets you go home early whenever you want, then more power to you. The rest of us don't have that kind of flexibility, so this thread is about trading money for extra time, not the other way around.

rated:
I disagree on the handyman stuff. I just like being in charge of what I own and being able to fix it. I feel like if I outsource all that stuff, I'm kind of a slave to my car/dishwasher/lawnmower.

rated:
I dont even own a lawnmower.

rated:
Convince family to take an overseas trip over thanksgiving. Most years, that does not happen and we spend hours fretting over black friday deals and buying "STUFF".

rated:
DavidScubadiver said: I dont even own a lawnmower.
I don't even have a lawn. Great time and money saver.

rated:
JaneiR36 said:   jkimcpa said: sin94 said: Get Full coverage for your car even if its a good damn beater. I was rear-ended (no fault) and literally ended having to work from home for 2 weeks. If I had full coverage my car would have being repaired under my insurance company and they would be going after the other insurance firm to recover damages and they would have given me rental reimbursement until the car was repaired.

Never go through the mess I had just to save 150$.

I think you mean pay the extra few bucks for car rental coverage. No reason to get comprehensive insurance on a beater.

If your non-collision/comprehensively covered beater gets damaged due to someone else's fault, do they still give you a rental car since they have no further business with you? Rental car coverage I always assumed was something that's done until they have your car fixed for you. Also someone on FWF once mentioned that comprehensive coverage can be purchased for just a few extra bucks in some cases.

Not sure about the non-collision aspect, but I had a car with comp/collision that was totaled in a flash flood. I drove a rental for 30 days didn't buy another car for a few years.

rated:
DavidScubadiver said:   Not everybody is as clever as you and can figure out what their bill is. I, for one, can barely remember what I ordered after eating it. Forget about what it costs. On the other hand, I have no trouble getting a check when I want one...my trouble is remembering to sign the receipt. I can honestly say I have had people run after me no less than 10 times in my life because I took their copy (having added the tip and put it in my pocket) or because I did not sign the receipt after adding the tip. It is not just restaurants. I have had my tax checks returned to me for not signing them too. It would save me a great deal of time if they could just ignore signature requirements.
You do not need know how much the meal cost. If walking to the cash register is too much trouble, you can also take your credit card out and put it on the edge of your table. All servers know what this signal means. They will immediatley pick up your credit card, charge your meal, and put a credit card receipt on your table for your signature.

rated:
Nice to post this thread. I read & appreciated.

rated:
The best thing I found from this thread is the not interested in topic button.

rated:
My first contribution to this thread:

1. Don't waste your time with Borders Reward Perks.

rated:
UseTheForceJesus said:   If I like the waitress, I just write my number on a hundred dollar bill.

If the waitress has an adam's apple, you may get more than you paid for. Restaurants have a tendency to have larger portions on all of their menu items anyway so it's to be expected.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.