• filter:
  • 11516 17 1819
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Try google.

rated:
somdave2005 said:   Psycho41 said:   If you're on the computer a lot, use AutoHotkey to map shortcuts to keyboard/mouse actions. Some common tasks include:

Calculator, web browser, email, copy/cut/paste, "to do" list (text file), new text file, file browser/explorer/my computer, "Control Panel" folder, move cursor to url bar (akin to F6 or Ctrl+L on most browsers)

i.e. pretty much anything you use often enough to put on the desktop, quick launch, or start menu, you can map to a keyboard or mouse shortcut. You may only save a few seconds each time, but to paraphrase Steve Jobs, if every computer user saves just 1 minute per day, then every day it will add up to a lifetime worth of free time.

How do you do this?

1) Download and install the program

2) Read the tutorial in the help file

3) To launch programs, use the "Run" command (e.g. "Run, calc" for calculator). For other shortcuts, read the manual, or Google them.

rated:
I save time AND money by changing my car's oil once annually (1-yr or 35k miles, whichever comes first) using AMSOIL products. It comes with their own ironclad warranty applicable to MECHANICALLY SOUND engines so if it ever develops a problem because of it, I have a legal recourse. Other fringe benefits like a modest boost to MPG, better cold-start performance, and more. I also signed up to be a dealer $20/yr fee for a 20% discount which I pass on to friends/family for brownie points.

The only pain is finding a mechanic willing to change my car's oil using products they don't sell themselves. *rme*

rated:
e2da00 said:   I know a lot of this is common sense but maybe some readers will find it helpful.

Here's a few more to add to the list.:

*Pay for a bike. Beat the downtown traffic and get your exercise without special gym equipment.
*Take public transportation. Why drive when you can pay someone else to drive you?
*Spend less time talking to your friends. Cut down on the number of friends you have.
*Do not have a family. Or if you have a family, get a divorce and pay for child support.
*Pay for methamphetamines. In general, don't make any drugs yourself.
*Pay some kid to run the meth for you. (let someone else be at risk for purchasing the meth)
*Sell your big screen HD LCD TV on craigslist. Just get a HD computer monitor with TV tuner and move the monitor closer to you.
*Read less. A picture is worth a thousand words so if you scan through a website and look at say 13 pictures, you've scanned the equivalent of 13,000 words.

I don't understand why a post as kind as:

Recent T=M post sent to Inbox said: ...What a wonderful post. Thank you all for sharing your advice...

is removed, but your carp remains.

rated:
Onenonlyrup said:   I save time AND money by changing my car's oil once annually (1-yr or 35k miles, whichever comes first) using AMSOIL products. It comes with their own ironclad warranty applicable to MECHANICALLY SOUND engines so if it ever develops a problem because of it, I have a legal recourse. Other fringe benefits like a modest boost to MPG, better cold-start performance, and more. I also signed up to be a dealer $20/yr fee for a 20% discount which I pass on to friends/family for brownie points.

The only pain is finding a mechanic willing to change my car's oil using products they don't sell themselves. *rme*

Good luck with THAT.

You could save EVEN MORE money by learning how to change your oil yourself.

rated:
Onenonlyrup said:   I save time AND money by changing my car's oil once annually (1-yr or 35k miles, whichever comes first) using AMSOIL products. It comes with their own ironclad warranty applicable to MECHANICALLY SOUND engines so if it ever develops a problem because of it, I have a legal recourse. Other fringe benefits like a modest boost to MPG, better cold-start performance, and more. I also signed up to be a dealer $20/yr fee for a 20% discount which I pass on to friends/family for brownie points.

WRONG. AMSOIL's warranty explicitly DOES NOT cover:

"Failure of equipment when AMSOIL lubricants are not used in strict accordance with either the written recommendations of AMSOIL INC. or the OEM for warranty coverage. The customer or user is solely responsible for determining a product’s merchantability or fitness (“suitability”) for a particular purpose and assumes all risks and liabilities when used other than in strict accordance with either the written recommendations of AMSOIL or the OEM for warranty coverage"

Translation: If you do something stupid (like, say, going 35,000 miles without changing the oil), don't come crying to us about it.

Source

rated:
Pretty sure e2da00's post was satire.

rated:
If you wear shirts with buttons, don't unbutton anything except perhaps the top button and the cuffs. Just put it on/off like a pullover (and launder them that way too). Get toggles for your shoelaces. Let your hair grown long between trims, and stop shaving your beard and/or pits.

rated:
canoer said:    stop shaving your beard and/or pits.wat

rated:
The best way to save time is avoid reading this thread.

rated:
rufflesinc said:   BitemeIamtoxic said:   A quick story for you DIYers.

We were spending the night at a Motel 6 in St. George, Utah many years ago. We were awakened early the next morning by screaming outside. Statements such as 'my whole life is gone' and 'everything I had was in there'.

A guest had had his Uhaul stolen while he slept. Yeah, the St. George police were right on it. Sigh.

What do we learn here?

1.) If you are renting a truck for a long move, insist on a column lock or alarm, or both. The key into the dash models are easily stolen.

2.) Don't put all of your eggs into one basket. If you do, watch that basket like a hawk.
Buy a club?

Vigilant safekeeping for sentimental items that can't be replaced and insurance to cover the rest.

rated:
Anyone know any tax software that allows e-filing even with AMT? It is a pain in the neck to have to go to the post office every year since TaxCut wouldn't allow me to do e-file. The reason for that was I always have AMT and that seemed to be carried over to next year as some kind of credit. Thanks.

rated:
TurboTax certainly lets you e-file regardless of whether you pay AMT.

rated:
Well, try to list the things that you can't do as well as the things that you need to prioritize. In that way, you can identify what needs to be done and the things that you can delegate to other people to work for you.

rated:
CowbellMaster said:   I'd like to hire someone to do my grocery shopping for me, and while they're out getting the stuff in my SUV, fill it up with gas.

Has anyone hired a 'mini-personal assistant' of this nature? I loathe grocery shopping, there's nothing redeeming about it, in any way. Would be thrilled to pay someone $15/hr to run a couple hours of errands for me per week.

I do this...I pay my assitant $12/hr. In addition to completing tasks for my business, she does my shopping, recycles my eBay purchased empty ink carts for free cash at all the office supply stores, makes my restaurant/airline reservations, gets my hockey skates sharpened, picks up dry cleaning, vacuums and washes my vehicle, drives around and buys hot deals instore when they pop up on FW, waits in line for me, etc....basically whatever needs done, she does it. Well worth it. I doubled my income last year while working half of the time.

It did take some time to find the right person though(about 6 months of hiring and firing, went through 4 people before I found the right one). I'd recommend starting out with easy, menial tasks and slowly add more responsibility once they prove they can be trusted. Also, state that a drug test is mandatory if you're hiring off craigslist or other job sites. It weeds out the riff raff (learned this the hard way...saw one applicant smoking up in my driveway before work), but don't actually make them take the test.

rated:
STEALfromCAGgive2FW said:   CowbellMaster said:   I'd like to hire someone to do my grocery shopping for me, and while they're out getting the stuff in my SUV, fill it up with gas.

Has anyone hired a 'mini-personal assistant' of this nature? I loathe grocery shopping, there's nothing redeeming about it, in any way. Would be thrilled to pay someone $15/hr to run a couple hours of errands for me per week.

I do this...I pay my assitant $12/hr. In addition to completing tasks for my business, she does my shopping, recycles my eBay purchased empty ink carts for free cash at all the office supply stores, makes my restaurant/airline reservations, gets my hockey skates sharpened, picks up dry cleaning, vacuums and washes my vehicle, buys hot deals when they pop up on FW, waits in line for me, etc....basically whatever needs done, she does it. Well worth it. I doubled my income last year while working half of the time.

It did take some time to find the right person though(about 6 months of hiring and firing, went through 4 people before I found the right one). I'd recommend starting out with easy, menial tasks and slowly add more responsibility once they prove they can be trusted. Also, state that a drug test is mandatory if you're hiring off craigslist or other job sites. It weeds out the riff raff (learned this the hard way...saw one applicant smoking up in my driveway before work), but don't actually make them take the test.
How many hours a week do you employ her?

rated:
It gradually increased. Started at 10 hours a week, now we are at 30 hours, and occasionally she will put in as much as 50 hours. I'm currently grooming her to run my business, which may mean I might need to hire another assistant to focus only on personal needs. It's definitely one of those things I wish I had done earlier in my life, it saves so much time. But it took a while for me to give up trust issues I had. My business is my baby, and it took a while for me to let go....But it has allowed me time to focus more on my kids and hobbies, and I'm happier than I've ever been as a result.

rated:
STEALfromCAGgive2FW said:   CowbellMaster said:   I'd like to hire someone to do my grocery shopping for me, and while they're out getting the stuff in my SUV, fill it up with gas.

I do this...I pay my assitant $12/hr. In addition to completing tasks for my business, she does my shopping, recycles my eBay purchased empty ink carts for free cash at all the office supply stores, makes my restaurant/airline reservations, gets my hockey skates sharpened, picks up dry cleaning, vacuums and washes my vehicle, buys hot deals when they pop up on FW, waits in line for me, etc....basically whatever needs done, she does it. Well worth it. I doubled my income last year while working half of the time.

Seriously... you pay some one $12 an hour to buy hot deals when they pop up? Why don't you just give FW a standing order to charge your credit card for whatever the day's hot deal is?

rated:
Lifehacker has an interesting article about using NFC tags to automate some smartphone tasks. It sounds like it could be worthwhile, I just ordered some tags off Amazon to try it out

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-automate-your-phone-for-every-room-...

rated:
DavidScubadiver said:   Seriously... you pay some one $12 an hour to buy hot deals when they pop up? Why don't you just give FW a standing order to charge your credit card for whatever the day's hot deal is? Not all posts are truly hot deals -- some are great bargains and some are not (or are good deals but with low liquidity/resale value), and he may not have the available capital to purchase ALL of them, which forces him to be selective when he acts alone. Perhaps what we need to do is establish a pool of funds from multiple users for purchasing all of the deals, thereby averaging out our wins and losses. Since more good deals are posted than bad ones, we can then guarantee that we will always come out ahead. And since this profit is guaranteed, this opens us up to leveraging our principal to buy even more of these hot deals -- why buy one when you can buy ten, or hundreds, or thousands? We could set this up at FW, SD, and any other deal sites we wish. Given that the quality of deal sites can vary, we can take this one step further and securitize our investments in each of the separate deal websites so that we can place a little bit of money in each and effectively become risk free. Finally, with the loans we take yielding what can be seen as guaranteed on-time payments (given our guaranteed profit from the FW/SD/etc. investments), we can establish a secondary market for trading our loans, so that everyone gets a piece of the pie.

What could possibly go wrong?

rated:
atohmc said:   DavidScubadiver said:   Seriously... you pay some one $12 an hour to buy hot deals when they pop up? Why don't you just give FW a standing order to charge your credit card for whatever the day's hot deal is? Not all posts are truly hot deals -- some are great bargains and some are not (or are good deals but with low liquidity/resale value), and he may not have the available capital to purchase ALL of them, which forces him to be selective when he acts alone. Perhaps what we need to do is establish a pool of funds from multiple users for purchasing all of the deals, thereby averaging out our wins and losses. Since more good deals are posted than bad ones, we can then guarantee that we will always come out ahead. And since this profit is guaranteed, this opens us up to leveraging our principal to buy even more of these hot deals -- why buy one when you can buy ten, or hundreds, or thousands? We could set this up at FW, SD, and any other deal sites we wish. Given that the quality of deal sites can vary, we can take this one step further and securitize our investments in each of the separate deal websites so that we can place a little bit of money in each and effectively become risk free. Finally, with the loans we take yielding what can be seen as guaranteed on-time payments (given our guaranteed profit from the FW/SD/etc. investments), we can establish a secondary market for trading our loans, so that everyone gets a piece of the pie.

What could possibly go wrong?
Is this post an example of how not to save time?

rated:
DavidScubadiver said:   STEALfromCAGgive2FW said:   CowbellMaster said:   I'd like to hire someone to do my grocery shopping for me, and while they're out getting the stuff in my SUV, fill it up with gas.

Seriously... you pay some one $12 an hour to buy hot deals when they pop up? Why don't you just give FW a standing order to charge your credit card for whatever the day's hot deal is?

Sorry, I wasn't more clear. She buys the hot deals that are in store only. She will drive around to the stores and buy them for me. Although I do have VA's that do what you're describing.

rated:
aic131 said:   Lifehacker has an interesting article about using NFC tags to automate some smartphone tasks. It sounds like it could be worthwhile, I just ordered some tags off Amazon to try it out

I wasted 10mins at the supermarket selfcheckout trying to get google wallet on my android (samsung note 2) to work. Found out later that it's not supported.

rated:
BlueSeaLake said:   I wash my car once per year, rest of the times if it gets dirty I just leave it out in the rain and it gets clean enough.
I do clean my windows while filling the car with gas because sometimes it doesn't rain enough.

I do the same but one time I do wash the car I do my best. I apply Collinite 845 insulator wax and dirt automatically slides off the car with rain. With my low miles per year wax goes for whole year. $15 bottle will last me probably 15 years.

rated:
Autohotkey is really for the near geek type. You can find tutorials on youtube for Autohotkey. You can then decide if autohotkey is for you.

rated:
Even easier, you can do it with WiFi or even GPS location based trigger events for profiles/actions. Don't have to do it with NFC tags.

rufflesinc said:   aic131 said:   Lifehacker has an interesting article about using NFC tags to automate some smartphone tasks. It sounds like it could be worthwhile, I just ordered some tags off Amazon to try it out

I wasted 10mins at the supermarket selfcheckout trying to get google wallet on my android (samsung note 2) to work. Found out later that it's not supported.

rated:
Strategies to save time, that means within same time, we can work more productively. Today, everybody has lots of works, but no time, in this scenario, your tips are really useful.

rated:
my two cents:
my two cents:

1. stop randomly surfing the web and reading forums

2. watch what you buy. everything you buy has lifecycle costs, and a major one of those is your time -- time spent shopping, time spent maintaining are storing, even time spent working to pay for what you purchased. so, try to buy what you need or really want, and keep in mind future time commitments to things you're buying.

rated:
Drive and Battery Electric Vehicle (Leaf, Focus, Fiat 500) or Electric Range Extended Vehicle (Volt):

- Save time by rarely (or never) going to gas stations
- 24 month oil changes on the Volt (never for BEVs)
- Rare brake pad changes due to regenerative power (decel/brake force used to charge battery rather than wear and tear on the brake pads)
- Preferential parking at many locations (and more coming). For instance, our local movie theater has charging stations next to the front door, before the valet spots.

rated:
Wow... just amazing!

The only thing I would complain about is dry-cleaning vs ironing. Ironing takes very very little time. If you must (and keep in mind, I'm not a professional here), but must hurry, then do this:

get out of the shower (if you have time to shower), instead of drying your hair with a towel, shake it dry with your hands.

Then! open your shirt flat and rub across your head... your hair will still be damp enough and the rubbing will take the wrinkles out. I would post a video because it sounds more complicated than it really is... but I would be embarrassed to be seen in said video, lol.

rated:
busyryan said:   Wow... just amazing!

The only thing I would complain about is dry-cleaning vs ironing. Ironing takes very very little time. If you must (and keep in mind, I'm not a professional here), but must hurry, then do this:

get out of the shower (if you have time to shower), instead of drying your hair with a towel, shake it dry with your hands.

Then! open your shirt flat and rub across your head... your hair will still be damp enough and the rubbing will take the wrinkles out. I would post a video because it sounds more complicated than it really is... but I would be embarrassed to be seen in said video, lol.

I'm a big fan of taking some hot water from the faucet and rubbing it directly into the wrinkles. Stretch the wrinkles out and continue rubbing for the best effect. I haven't used an iron in ages due to this simple advice. Sure it looks wet for about 5-10 minutes but by the time you're in public, you should be good to go.

rated:
thomp527 said:   Drive and Battery Electric Vehicle (Leaf, Focus, Fiat 500) or Electric Range Extended Vehicle (Volt):
- Preferential parking at many locations (and more coming). For instance, our local movie theater has charging stations next to the front door, before the valet spots.
<< that's the only !retarded thing about electric and hybrid vehicles. Seriously.

rated:
busyryan said:   Then! open your shirt flat and rub across your head... your hair will still be damp enough and the rubbing will take the wrinkles out. I would post a video because it sounds more complicated than it really is... but I would be embarrassed to be seen in said video, lol.To add to dress shirts, don't button it at home, button it in your car at red lights on the way to work. (the pullover trick doesn't work for me because my shirts are Ulta slim fit). If you wear hard to put on dress shoes, leave them in the car and wear scandals/easy shoes to the car, and change at red lights.

If you don't have to eat breakfast with your kids, then try to do as much of your morning routine at work so you can get out earlier and beat rush hour.

rated:
Sometimes taking care of your own business is rewarding in itself. I enjoy washing the car, especially when it is in between must have air conditioning weather and cool (about 90). Doing chores around the house builds characters, which $80 can't buy. I don't see a point in taking the lazy way out when you can just make chores fun.

rated:
Buying groceries using freshdirect.com. Heck, sometimes their prices are even lower than at the store. All of my shopping done during some commercial breaks, saves me the time of going to the store, hunting for what I want, and then loading and unloading the car.

rated:
i keep wasting time with block appt service calls like 1-5pm. It's worse if it's during the day then it means I have to take off work. Any suggestions??

rated:
rufflesinc said:   i keep wasting time with block appt service calls like 1-5pm. It's worse if it's during the day then it means I have to take off work. Any suggestions??
  Make the appointments during your days off so they don't interfere with work.  Require that they call you x minutes before they get there where x equals the time it takes you to get from wherever you may be back to your house, so you are not chained to one location.
Alternatively, use taskrabbit or another service to find someone who will house sit duringthe appointment and let them in to do whatever it is that needs doing, assuming you don't have to be there to supervise.

rated:
The hell. You city people get all the breaks. I'd never heard of taskrabbit before.

rated:
maxfleischer said:   The hell. You city people get all the breaks. I'd never heard of taskrabbit before.
  Oh to live in places so densely populated that the only viable employment for a section of the population is to do the chores of others.  I suppose it beats living in a rural area where there are no such opportunities...

rated:
Port your cell phone number to Google Voice for one time charge of $25. Your phone will get a new number from your cellular company. Forward your Google Voice calls to the new number and you continue to get all your calls and no need to tell them when you change your cell number. You can also block calls that you don't want.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014