• filter:
  • 1 2 34519
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
9. Car trunk should always be empty, you never know what you might need to store in there in a pinch

You mean like a body?

Ads by Google
rated:
Skip FW posts and read the summary (but then you'd miss the goodness of this post).

rated:
One of the best time saving strategies I have seen being used is competitive bidding for your money: for any significant purchase, invite bids from 5-10 vendors and then choose the top 3 and set them off against each other. This works like a charm-I learnt it from a relative who is a procurement manager and uses this strategy in her professional realm.

rated:
Instead of buying beer, you could just do beer runs. Saves you money and gives you exercise lifting those thirty packs

rated:
Eat out for lunch.

That $6 is realy worth it ...more so if you dont like cooking. Less dishes to wash..Less trash...Make your mornings less stressful. Also, you get some time out of your work environment.

rated:
Jamba meals in a cup. Has 500 calories, adds to your daily fruit servings, can be eaten in the car, it's a $5 meal. Not recommended for every day but useful for those days you want to save an extra 20 minutes.

rated:
When I get into an argument with my wife, I simply apologize, even if I'm right.

It saves a lot of time.

rated:
I don't rate chase. Stick solely to Citibank for all bank accounts and credit cards. That way I can easily have access and manage everything. The difference in interest rates is marginal, especially when you factor in the thank you points and quick access to cash.

That said, I do keep IRA's at a separate bank just to diversify and get better rates on long term savings.

rated:
Get a good printer / scanner / copier / fax with an automatic document feeder. The amount of time saved not having to manually scan pages one by one is worth it for me.

Reduce your commute or carpool. I used to travel 30 miles one way to work and unfortunately could not carpool due to odd hours. Not only was that very expensive but by the time I got into the office I needed 30 minutes just to unwind from driving in traffic for 45 minutes.

Minimize the number of credit cards / bank accounts you regularly use.

Rent movies and seasons of shows...disconnect the cable. Time saved not watching commercials and infomercials is well worth it. As is the peace and quiet.

When you go on vacation hire a cook for the week. I know this sounds expensive but we've done it twice for about $80 per day including food (2 people). It takes some work up front but has made the vacation invaluable to us. We tell the cook ahead of time which meals to prepare and don't need to worry about finding a good place to eat. Dinner is ready when we are. No reservations, random locations, or restaurants to deal with either. On top of that, both times that we've done it the cook has given us major insight about the local area and has told us where to go to shop / tour.

rated:
guppy said: 9. Car trunk should always be empty, you never know what you might need to store in there in a pinch

You mean like a body?

haha, maybe a dead one. the new cars now have handles on the inside.

rated:
captainwho said: When I get into an argument with my wife, I simply apologize, even if I'm right.

It saves a lot of time.
I do this too. Saves a lot of time. However, one time, my wife asked me what it was I was apologizing for. I was stumped. I guess I have to listen a little bit to the argument to be able to answer that question, in the future.

rated:
alpinewhite said: captainwho said: When I get into an argument with my wife, I simply apologize, even if I'm right.

It saves a lot of time.
I do this too. Saves a lot of time. However, one time, my wife asked me what it was I was apologizing for. I was stumped. I guess I have to listen a little bit to the argument to be able to answer that question, in the future.

This is a short-term expediency that's a long-term disaster. Best advice I got when I was getting married was, "Don't apologize if you don't have anything to apologize for."

rated:
captainwho said: When I get into an argument with my wife, I simply apologize, even if I'm right.

It saves a lot of time.

This will be VERY expensive for you one day.

rated:
I have been looking to buy one of those garment steamers. I assume that it can save me a lot of time instead of using an iron. Has anyone ever used a steamer?

rated:
Haven't used a steamer; I buy clothes that don't need ironing. I have many pieces of clothing that travel well, so I always look pulled together instead of wrinkled.

This saves time ironing, plus it saves time changing into "work" clothes once I'm off the airplane.

Would you rather steam your wrinkled clothing or not have wrinkles at all? (True, you can't wear 100% woven cotton, silk, or linen without ironing or steaming....)

Buying a travel wardrobe and wearing pieces from it every day saves me lots of time; it might work for you, also, mlayu.

rated:
I'm 6' tall and a bunch of staircases looked like they were built for vertically deficient people but seemed like a waste of time for people of my stature.

So, I taught myself to go down two steps at a time. It started with those stupid half steps at school, then my home steps near the bottom, then work steps near the bottom, and eventually expanded up the staircases until I could go down two steps at a time while carrying things in my hands. It took some understanding of the type of shoes I'm wearing, and the coarseness/slipperiness of the steps individually, but I can usually adjust for new staircases after going down 1 or 2 steps normally. It becomes more like controlled falling. It's also safer to do with contacts than glasses as your world doesn't jiggle on the way down.

I've heard someone at the subway say, "Did you just see him? Now I've seen everything" as I flew down a tall staircase much faster than the escalator people.

It saves time because I can get to the bottom faster than friends to pick up an item and return much faster than friends. It's also less tiring.

rated:
MoreMonies said: I'm 6' tall and a bunch of staircases looked like they were built for vertically deficient people but seemed like a waste of time for people of my stature.

So, I taught myself to go down two steps at a time. It started with those stupid half steps at school, then my home steps near the bottom, then work steps near the bottom, and eventually expanded up the staircases until I could go down two steps at a time while carrying things in my hands. It took some understanding of the type of shoes I'm wearing, and the coarseness/slipperiness of the steps individually, but I can usually adjust for new staircases after going down 1 or 2 steps normally. It becomes more like controlled falling. It's also safer to do with contacts than glasses as your world doesn't jiggle on the way down.

I've heard someone at the subway say, "Did you just see him? Now I've seen everything" as I flew down a tall staircase much faster than the escalator people.

It saves time because I can get to the bottom faster than friends to pick up an item and return much faster than friends. It's also less tiring.

I do this too - I'm 6'2"...but not too much in public

rated:
mlayu said: I have been looking to buy one of those garment steamers. I assume that it can save me a lot of time instead of using an iron. Has anyone ever used a steamer?

I have used travel steamers for over 15 years, and never use an iron unless it's a very large item like a table cloth. I take it with me on all of my travels - business and pleasure. I hate forgetting it because it always takes 3-4 times as long to us an iron in the hotel room...I even ruined my favorite dress shirt when I used a hotel iron because the person before me didn't clean the brown starch off the bottom of the iron which left a nice big stain that never came out.

I have this travel steamer from BBB, which I got for about $30 AC. It has a button you hold down to release the steam which automatically pressurizes the tank (instead of pumping the handle a hundred times), and a dial to adjust the amount of steam that pours out. I keep my shirts on the hanger, hang it on the shower rod, and steam away or just hold the hanger up. For pants I hold the pants by the ankles. Works incredibly well even for jeans.

It takes me around 30 seconds to steam most any item, a minute if it's a shirt that was balled up in the closet. An iron can't come close to that.

I have never had nor used the large industrial size steamers that many people have in their homes such as this one which are 2-4 times more expensive. The only difference I see is that the stand up steamers can hold much more water, have a rod for your hangars, and take up a TON of space - those belong in a dry cleaners. The hand held travel steamer suits my everyday needs and has since I was a teen.

rated:
mlayu said: I have been looking to buy one of those garment steamers. I assume that it can save me a lot of time instead of using an iron. Has anyone ever used a steamer?

I have. I bought a jiffy steamer from costco. It takes up room though. If you wear dress shirts for work everyday, it might be worth it to get a steamer. Otherwise, get wrinkle free clothes. I have really mastered the steaming techniques or ironing technique to determine which one is faster. However, I think the steamer might be slightly faster.

rated:
Anyone know a quick and cheap way to keep your car/room smelling fresh? I thought about buying myshaldan car freshener for my bathroom. haha

rated:
PLay426662 said: mlayu said: I have been looking to buy one of those garment steamers. I assume that it can save me a lot of time instead of using an iron. Has anyone ever used a steamer?

I have. I bought a jiffy steamer from costco. It takes up room though. If you wear dress shirts for work everyday, it might be worth it to get a steamer. Otherwise, get wrinkle free clothes. I have really mastered the steaming techniques or ironing technique to determine which one is faster. However, I think the steamer might be slightly faster.

Do you have cleaners that pickup and deliver? I just put my dress shirts in a bag on my porch and the next afternoon they are delivered cleaned and pressed for $1.00 per shirt. It's definitely worth it to me.

rated:
MoreMonies said: I'm 6' tall and a bunch of staircases looked like they were built for vertically deficient people but seemed like a waste of time for people of my stature.

Not that long ago I was like this. Whatever the task was, I was the first to jump (literally) into it and get it done. Racing up and down stairs, running around the office...you name it.

I still walk faster than others but as my metabolism has lowered I've stopped all the running around, skipping down steps. And I can't begin to describe how much easier it's made things and how much more I get done now.

The fact is, it's a lot easier to let others do the running and jumping for you. And sprinting into an adult task is seldom the best way to get it done.

rated:
VanceWade said: alpinewhite said: captainwho said: When I get into an argument with my wife, I simply apologize, even if I'm right.

It saves a lot of time.

This is a short-term expediency that's a long-term disaster. Best advice I got when I was getting married was, "Don't apologize if you don't have anything to apologize for."
Here's how I see it, if I win the argument, would that make my wife happy? If she's not happy, would that make me happy? If I let her win, she's happy. Then, I'm happy too. Deep inside, she knows she didn't really win the argument but she's happy I made her happy.

rated:
PLay426662 said: Anyone know a quick and cheap way to keep your car/room smelling fresh? I thought about buying myshaldan car freshener for my bathroom. haha

A tub of baking soda kills odors...try mixing with some drops of your favorite scented oil. That's what works in your refrigerator. Maybe try white vinegar mixed with water to kill odor stains, but don't mix it with the baking soda or you will have a nice chemical reaction.

rated:
I had good luck with Renuzit CAR, a spray kind of like Febreze that I got at Wal-Mart for $2.

rated:
Folks, this isn't Heloise Helpful home hints..

Meanwhile, I stumbled upon the Bogleheads wiki which has a lot of Fat wallet finance type info but in a well organized and edited format.

Also, re using a scanner that someone mentioned: one of the best is the pricey, but excellent Fujitsu Scansnap S510 or its portable cousin -- I have both and they work great and can greatly cut down on paper clutter. They can very quickly quickly scan multiple pages, and you don't even have to bother with a filing system of the pdf files because the scanner software will also OCR your scanned pages and then you can simply word search through all your scans at once to find the pages that you are looking for.

rated:

It saves a lot of time.

Yes, That's what My husband do, And I am thinking of divorcing him all the time, He think he is being nice but a husband that doesn't listen is like no husband, I think some time little bit fighting spice the marriage.

rated:
alpinewhite said: VanceWade said: alpinewhite said: captainwho said: When I get into an argument with my wife, I simply apologize, even if I'm right.

It saves a lot of time.

Here's how I see it, if I win the argument, would that make my wife happy? If she's not happy, would that make me happy? If I let her win, she's happy. Then, I'm happy too. Deep inside, she knows she didn't really win the argument but she's happy I made her happy.

Whatever works I guess, but I could see evading problems rather than working them out leading to more ominous threads than this one. I don't want to judge anyone, it's just sometimes what seems efficient short-term can have the opposite result in the long-term. How's that for a vague generalization?

rated:
Buy everyday items in bulk when they go on sale, and save time and money. Items such as:
Toiletries
- toothpaste/toothbrush
- shampoo/conditioner
- soap/bodywash
- toilet paper

Kitchen
- paper towels
- frozen food
- canned food
- cleaning supplies

Please add to this list in the Quick Summary.

rated:
find a job that pays you while you sleep. they exist.

rated:
mewhojen said: find a job that pays you while you sleep. they exist.

yeah, back in undergrad we called it "government work"

rated:
mewhojen said: find a job that pays you while you sleep. they exist.A position with Sit'N'Sleep, the mattress company would probably have those positions.

rated:
I use the wash&fold service for 60 cents per pound with no minimum. I save at least 4 hours of hassle. I pay about $12 a month for this service. If I did it myself, it would cost me at least $6-8 so it is definitely worth it.

rated:
mewhojen said: find a job that pays you while you sleep. they exist.

I think that the big 3 automakers are not hiring right now.

rated:
user5701 said: sweetbutter said: How about this: have two days mid and end of month set out to pay bills and finance matters. Fat? take another job or go join a karate dojo as a defensive measure and shed those fat lbs.
Change oil? let the mech do it.
Tired of calling up hookers and waiting for them? get a girl friend, you may get free meal too, of course I was talking about food.

You've missed the spirit of the thread, as nothing involving a girlfriend is free.

Hookers are a much more efficient use of your time/money than a girlfriend. You may have to wait, but you set the schedule. Add a little blow (double entendre), and you may gain a little more efficiency - for a little while.

rated:
Get self inking endorsement stamps for depositing checks to your bank.
Saves having to write endorsement and signature (or X for some of you). Especially good
for all the rebate checks you get.

rated:
PLay426662 said: mlayu said: I have been looking to buy one of those garment steamers. I assume that it can save me a lot of time instead of using an iron. Has anyone ever used a steamer?

A little off topic story about those travel steamers:

In the 1990's in the misc.consumers forum on Usenet, there was a short discussion about a travel steamer. The guy who bought it said the directions said to pull the shirt tight on the hanger before using the steamer on it. But when he pulled the shirt tight, it came off the hanger. The one reply he got said, "Wrong. You didn't pull it tight. You pulled it loose."

So, when I saw mention of the travel steamers in this FW thread, I was reminded of that, because it seemed funny to me at the time. So I went looking for it, on Google. But, for some reason, it's no longer there. It seems that Google archives some, but not all, old Usenet threads.

Anyway, I never bother with anything like that. Most of my clothes are no-iron, and if I ever need anything ironed while traveling, I just take it to the cleaners.

rated:
Use a crockpot for meals. If you set it right before you leave for work in the morning, chances are your home won't be up in flames when you get home, and you'll have a decent meal.

Watch SportsCenter for the highlights and save time from watching long drawn-out games of gun-toting, overpriced athletes barely performing for their paychecks. Plus, you get to see the "Law and Order" updates on the show, finding out how PacMan Jones and Plaxico are doing.

rated:
delete

rated:
Walk faster. You will be amazed at how much more you'll get done.

Never wait in line at the post office to mail domestic packages. That wait can be brutally long. Print the label online or use the little postage machine in the lobby (if it has one).

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 1:30AM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.