• filter:
  • 14 5 67819
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
"Many trade jobs: If I can pay someone $X/hour to do that work, and I make $X Y/hour at my job or I otherwise value my leisure time at that much, and Y > any extra time/cost in dealing with the outsourcing, then it is simple math that it makes economic sense to outsource/delegate/hire out certain tasks. "

You should outsource your wife to someone else for sex. You have the leisure of watching TV and she gets to make money with the outsourcing

rated:
My Credit Union is about 10 minutes drive away from my house. There is a "partner" CU that is 30 seconds from my job. Part of a nationwide CU network. I can deposit the occasional physical check I get from rebates and such at the partner CU. It "costs" me an additional 4 day hold from my CU but it saves me 20 minutes round trip driving.

rated:
Nice thread.

I use an E-Z Pass prepaid account when traveling on the east coast. I zoom through toll booths in the express lane. Especially during the summer months and holidays.

http://www.paturnpike.com/ezpass/ezpassINTRO.htm

This EZPass is good in many states. NJ, PA, MD, DE to name a few.

rated:
drPedro said: Nice thread.

I use an E-Z Pass prepaid account when traveling on the east coast. I zoom through toll booths in the express lane. Especially during the summer months and holidays.

We actually get a discount for using the I-Pass system in Illinois. Win-win!

rated:
I pay day laborers $10/hr to pull out weeds in my backyard.

rated:
If you live in an apt complex and/or have one of those outside locked mailboxes for packages, use USPS rather than ups because the former will deposit the mail right at your home where you can pick it up whenever you want, whereas you have to drive to the UPS store when they're open to pick up mail shipped using UPS. One time this cost me about $10 more but it was totally worth it because I frequently come home well after dark and have no interest in rearranging my schedule just to receive a piece of mail.

rated:
JaneiR36 said: If you live in an apt complex and/or have one of those outside locked mailboxes for packages, use USPS rather than ups because the former will deposit the mail right at your home where you can pick it up whenever you want, whereas you have to drive to the UPS store when they're open to pick up mail shipped using UPS. One time this cost me about $10 more but it was totally worth it because I frequently come home well after dark and have no interest in rearranging my schedule just to receive a piece of mail.
It's the opposite for me. UPS drops packages at my door, USPS requires me to drive to the post office.

rated:
It all depends on how the item is shipped. Someone can send it via SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION (USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL, whatever) and you aren't going to get your damn package ubtil you sign IN PERSON. Whether it is at home or you go to them to get it.

rated:
I've had signature required maybe once because it was sent from abroad. UPS cannot leave packages outside my door because of increased likelihood of being stolen, no individual porche, which would make it hard to guarantee receipt.

So if USPS always requires the drive to the post office, flip the post and only ship using the other guys.

rated:
I live in an urban area and commute via mass transit. It lets me use the commuting time efficiently, and I don't have to worry about car repairs, car breakdown, etc.

I just have to worry if the train is going to arrive when I step on the platform or whether I'm going to stand there waiting for 10 minutes.

Some of these tips are good, but seriously? Buy audiobooks instead of the "real" thing? Don't treat reading like you're writing e-mails...there is a pleasure component involved.

...And forgetting which button to press to go through your voice mail? There are only two of them you really need to use..."save" and "delete." Not rocket science.

rated:
I ride the DC transit system (Metro) and agree, it saves me time, stress, and money. However there are lots of fat ugly greasy women on there that tend to sit on my leg, in addition to their side of the seat. I think they're trying to make me their boo.

rated:
davegolden99 said: It all depends on how the item is shipped. Someone can send it via SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION (USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL, whatever) and you aren't going to get your damn package ubtil you sign IN PERSON. Whether it is at home or you go to them to get it.
Not true for UPS. Even for signature confirmation packages, UPS drivers are allowed at their discretion to leave a package without a signature. I know, because it happened to my package.

rated:
davegolden99 said: I ride the DC transit system (Metro) and agree, it saves me time, stress, and money. However there are lots of fat ugly greasy women on there that tend to sit on my leg, in addition to their side of the seat. I think they're trying to make me their boo.

I'm guessing you ride into the city from New Carrollton on the Orange line?

PG COUNTRY REPRESENT

rated:
Get the Ooma Core phone system! It allows you to block all unmarked calls if you want, send calls to voicemail, and a whole other array of excellent time saving features. The best yet, it only costs around $229 up front and you have no monthly bill!

That's both excellent savings of time and money! And the call quality is great, too. All you need is internet for it to work.

rated:
princessida said: The less stuff you own, the less time required to take care of it.

The biggest mistake people do (I was so guility of this) is leaving stuff lying around you don't use anymore.

If you haven't used something in two weeks or a month, you better pick it up and ask yourself, are you really going to use this item ever again? 95% of the time, you'll say no from my experience.

This is because typically it's an older piece of technology lying around I won't use anymore because it was replaced with something different, it was worn out or broken, or it was just something I picked up at the store thinking I'd need or use and I never ended up doing so.

Get rid of the clutter and keep your mind clear so you can be more productive during the day!

rated:
BiomedGeek said: drPedro said:

We actually get a discount for using the I-Pass system in Illinois. Win-win!

EZPass/Ipass seems to actually work in every state where there's toll roads. i have no idea how they managed to link it all up so brilliantly, but it is incredibly convenient. i don't even have a car and have one, linked to a credit card, and whenever i'm in a rental/zipcar, i bring it out with me. it is so awesome to fly by the traffic sitting there with cash in their hands.

rated:
Also see FWF thread on bad money saving ideas that didn't work which is sort of the flip side of this thread.

rated:
Don't forget that certain states will charge you a monthly fee for EZPass.

Pick a state where you can get EZPass for free

drPedro said: Nice thread.

rated:
spacecadet610 said: Don't forget that certain states will charge you a monthly fee for EZPass.

Pick a state where you can get EZPass for free

FasTrak is California's version of the E-ZPass. Some FasTrak agencies charge initial/monthly fees and some do not. See the FasTrak Wiki entry for links with more details.

rated:
That's right I'm sick of visiting freakin' Chicago and scrambling for coins at the tollbooth, hoping I have enough money this time to actually get out of the city. I'd assumed I had to be a resident and/or that they had high monthly fees. But now I see I technically can load the pass one time and have it last for maybe half a year if I don't visit that often. Good stuff!!

rated:
Here's a trick I use to save lots of money:

I often will get the ad for the grocery store online on Thursday. (in the DC area it is SuperFresh and Giant) - Both of them double coupons up to .99. I'll immediately match the best deals and search eBay for coupons. I'll buy 10-25 coupons for each non-perishable product (i.e. frozen, paper, cleaning, bottled water) and later go into the store and stock up on the item. Sometimes coupons I use are expired and self-checkout accepts them any way. Also sometimes if I need to buy a "family size" item, and accidentally purchase a regular sized item, the coupon will still work. Test it out.

On average, I save about $75 per grocery store trip. My wife is so embarrassed she runs and hides while I check out.

When confronted by the self checkout worker who fondled my coupons, I told him that he should not touch my property and I save more than he makes. I know, sounds bad - but I worked in a grocery store in High School (Briggs Chaney safeway REPRESENTING) and it was all about customer service. Not anymore. He also touched my butt once trying to get by me and I jumped around and screamed at him. Rapist.

rated:
davegolden99 said: Here's a trick I use to save lots of money:

I often will get the ad for the grocery store online on Thursday. (in the DC area it is SuperFresh and Giant) - Both of them double coupons up to .99. I'll immediately match the best deals and search eBay for coupons. I'll buy 10-25 coupons for each non-perishable product (i.e. frozen, paper, cleaning, bottled water) and later go into the store and stock up on the item. Sometimes coupons I use are expired and self-checkout accepts them any way. Also sometimes if I need to buy a "family size" item, and accidentally purchase a regular sized item, the coupon will still work. Test it out.

On average, I save about $75 per grocery store trip. My wife is so embarrassed she runs and hides while I check out.

When confronted by the self checkout worker who fondled my coupons, I told him that he should not touch my property and I save more than he makes. I know, sounds bad - but I worked in a grocery store in High School (Briggs Chaney safeway REPRESENTING) and it was all about customer service. Not anymore. He also touched my butt once trying to get by me and I jumped around and screamed at him. Rapist.

Dude -- this is the opposite of the intent of this thread. This is strategies to SPEND MONEY to SAVE TIME. It will not be worth it for most of us to spend however many hours that takes you to save that $75.

rated:
davegolden99 said: My wife is so embarrassed she runs and hides while I check out.

He also touched my butt once trying to get by me and I jumped around and screamed at him. Rapist.

I don't think she's embarassed that you're saving money. Just saying.

rated:
A Shamwow? Really? How about just buying better paper towels that can washed and used several times (i.e. when you're cleaning something).

rated:
max621 said: A Shamwow? Really? How about just buying better paper towels that can washed and used several times (i.e. when you're cleaning something).

what brand? I never heard of reusable paper towels

rated:
TrueValue said: max621 said: A Shamwow? Really? How about just buying better paper towels that can washed and used several times (i.e. when you're cleaning something).

what brand? I never heard of reusable paper towels

http://www.sustainableisgood.com/blog/2007/06/a-product-paper.html

rated:
Is the Shamwow a serious suggestion, or is it just some kind of FWF meme I'm not getting? I initially thought it was a real suggestion because the other tips seemed that way, but the reviews for the thing are just awful.

Fox 16
Amazon

rated:
If remodeling your kitchen, install 2 dishwashers and never waste time emptying the dishwasher again. One is the "clean" one and one is the "dirty" one (use those little magnet signs). Use dishes directly out of the clean one, and put the dirty dishes in the other one. By the time the dirty one is full, the clean one is just about empty and you run the dirty one and switch the signs so that the dirty one is the clean one, and vice versa. So effectively your dishwasher replaces the purpose of your dish cabinets, which saves tons of time you used to waste emptying the dishwasher. I've been doing it this way for almost a year now in a house with four people and it really works well.

rated:
Get a bidet for your toilets. Quick clean-up after #2. No hemorrhoids either. Saves toilet paper too.

rated:
orrd said: If remodeling your kitchen, install 2 dishwashers and never waste time emptying the dishwasher again. Thats an awesome idea!!! Would also make your kitchen look a lot cleaner, as I always have a stack of dirty dishes in my sink.

rated:
I prefer to rent my women by the hour, it costs a bit more upfront than a girlfriend or wife(Blow isn't cheap) but I can trade them for a new model whenever I like, and I don't get hit with the MASSIVE Deprecation(Divorce) at the end of the lease.

Seriously thou, Do you OWN a professional Rice cooker? Do you make TONS of Rice so you are an expert on getting PERFECT Fluffy rice? No? Guess who does? Your local Chinese Take-out and they are happy to sell you pints and quarts for a couple bucks.I make alot of Tacos and add rice to my meat mix for texture and flavor, I wouldn't even DREAM of making my own rice when I can buy a pint for a buck or so, I also use it for ANY dish that requires rice like stuffed peppers. This also can work for pizza dough from a Bakery or Pizzeria(If they aren't jerks)

rated:
Kingofthenet said: I prefer to rent my women by the hour, it costs a bit more upfront than a girlfriend or wife(Blow isn't cheap) but I can trade them for a new model whenever I like, and I don't get hit with the MASSIVE Deprecation(Divorce) at the end of the lease.

Seriously thou, Do you OWN a professional Rice cooker? Do you make TONS of Rice so you are an expert on getting PERFECT Fluffy rice? No? Guess who does? Your local Chinese Take-out and they are happy to sell you pints and quarts for a couple bucks.I make alot of Tacos and add rice to my meat mix for texture and flavor, I wouldn't even DREAM of making my own rice when I can buy a pint for a buck or so, I also use it for ANY dish that requires rice like stuffed peppers. This also can work for pizza dough from a Bakery or Pizzeria(If they aren't jerks)

Rice from take-out places is usually pretty gross.

rated:
I like my rice with bugs in it.

rated:
Kingofthenet said: I prefer to rent my women by the hour, it costs a bit more upfront than a girlfriend or wife(Blow isn't cheap) but I can trade them for a new model whenever I like, and I don't get hit with the MASSIVE Deprecation(Divorce) at the end of the lease.

WHAT ABOUT LOVE? IF A WOMEN GOT MONEY, DOES SHE WANT TO DO THE SAME?

rated:
plata said: Kingofthenet said: I prefer to rent my women by the hour, it costs a bit more upfront than a girlfriend or wife(Blow isn't cheap) but I can trade them for a new model whenever I like, and I don't get hit with the MASSIVE Deprecation(Divorce) at the end of the lease.

WHAT ABOUT LOVE? IF A WOMEN GOT MONEY, DOES SHE WANT TO DO THE SAME?

Well I was sorta kidding but "LOVE" doesn't take years to develop(at least not for me) 'like' is for objects, i.e. I 'like' my car, but I can 'Love' any women, and since she isn't going to be around long enough to develop negative feelings for...as they say 'We will always have Paris' I might not know whats deep in her soul, and that's probably for the best.

rated:
Keep your roll of trash bags inside the bottom of the trash can. Every time you take out the trash, take out a new bag from inside the can. Saves times and storage space.

rated:
For all the sock discussion
http://www.sock-locks.com/
They keep socks together great in laundry

I find my roomba is helping me save time. Bonus it entertains the boyfriend too

rated:
A DVR is the biggest time-saver for us. I watch a one-hour show in 48 minutes. Plus, I don't get tempted to buy things advertised in commercials. It lessens arguments too as you don't need to watch what you say in certain parts of the show. If you miss something because of your spouse talking, you can easily rewind what you're watching.

rated:
JaneiR36 said: That's right I'm sick of visiting freakin' Chicago and scrambling for coins at the tollbooth, hoping I have enough money this time to actually get out of the city. I'd assumed I had to be a resident and/or that they had high monthly fees. But now I see I technically can load the pass one time and have it last for maybe half a year if I don't visit that often. Good stuff!!

I heard reason Blah-Guy-Witch got fired was he wanted to bring EZ-Pass to Chicago

rated:
orrd said: If remodeling your kitchen, install 2 dishwashers and never waste time emptying the dishwasher again. One is the "clean" one and one is the "dirty" one (use those little magnet signs). Use dishes directly out of the clean one, and put the dirty dishes in the other one. By the time the dirty one is full, the clean one is just about empty and you run the dirty one and switch the signs so that the dirty one is the clean one, and vice versa. So effectively your dishwasher replaces the purpose of your dish cabinets, which saves tons of time you used to waste emptying the dishwasher. I've been doing it this way for almost a year now in a house with four people and it really works well.Wow, I love this! I'm fine with putting things in the dishwasher, but the roomate is not so great at unloading, and I often feel too lazy to unload the whole thing, so dirty dishes tend to pile up. Two dishwasers would be a very nice luxury.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014