• filter:
  • 112 13 14151619
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
koerding said:   lastpass should be mentioned. Like roboform. Only better. And free.

To elaborate a bit more, use LastPass to keep all your login information (you can even enable auto-login.) Also, keep all your financial institutions and bill website bookmarks in a single folder (CCs, Insurance, Utilities, etc.)

- Now, unlock LastPass with your master password
- Use your browser's "Open all bookmarks in a new window" feature
- Check balances and/or pay bills in minutes
- You're done for the week/month

--

rated:
Those who made productive helpful contributions to this thread, and value the concept of temporal opportunity cost in decision making, might also want to contribute to a similar thread at http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1075166/

rated:
Also use Yubikey so you can use two-factor authentication to get into your password vault.

rated:
This seems like the type of place to post this inquiry: It seems like with every doctor's office that I go to, regardless of time of day of the appointment, I get the run-around of usually waiting at least 30 minutes before a nurse or something takes me back into the office, then she does a little something like take my BP or temp, and then I sit alone in the office for about 30 minutes before I'm seen by the doctor. It drives me crazy that there is pretty much universally a one-hour wait to see a doctor (from the time of the appointment).

I had the great fortune a few years ago, of being recommended to a dentist that runs his office kind of strange: He charges whatever he wants for services, bills it to the insurance, and then sends me a bill for the rest. It's usually not much of a difference, but he is really good, and the bonus is that if my appointment is at 3, and I show up at 2:45, I usually am taken back immediately and often, I'm back out the door before it's even 3. I think he takes less patients, or whatever, since he's getting more, and can have better service.

So, how in the world can I go about finding a doctor (or doctors) that do something like this? I have asked around and most people think that I'm exaggerating the wait time, recommend their doctor, and then the same stuff happens at their doctor. I just want to be able to take care of doctor's appointments without having to leave work for a 4-hour block of time (to see a doctor for 5 minutes).

rated:
Corporateclaw, look for a concierge medical practice in your area. Some of them even make house calls. Be prepared to pay up for it though. One of them is called MDVIP.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   Corporateclaw, look for a concierge medical practice in your area. Some of them even make house calls. Be prepared to pay up for it though. One of them is called MDVIP.

Thanks man. That looks to be what I am going for. I will do some of my own research on this and try to post back with the results from that (and my experiences if I decide to go for it). It looks expensive, but that yearly membership fee pales in comparison to burning 5-10 hours (or more) sitting like a lump in a waiting room -- I know I should start bringing work with me, but most of the work I can bring with me requires more focus than what I could do in a waiting room (and I never like calling clients in those situations, because I'd feel like I need to abruptly end the call when my number is finally up).

rated:
When adding a tip to restaurant bills.. I put an amount that gives me an even dollar total.. saves time looking for bad charges on my credit card bill.. if it isnt an even dollar amount.. it wasnt my check.. caught bad charges enough times to make this habit worthwhile.

I used to use Paytrust. now part of intuit.. to handle all my various bills.. worked fine..

I used google calendar for reminders.. have it set to send sms reminders for appointments.. and I can just send a text message to set up whatever "appointment" I want to receive as an alert.

I use jott.com to record momentary flashes of brilliance that randomly strike.. its nice finding my message in a wav file .. and someones attempt to transcribe what I said waiting in my email.

rated:
i use http://www.automd.com for auto repair estimates and appointments saves me lot of time and money getting quotes and appointment!!!

rated:
frugalpete said:   psychoslowmatic said: caterpillar123 said: turtlebug said: Carry a 'tip card' in your wallet if you're unable to factor 15% or 20% in your head.I find it's usually pretty easy to determine 20%. Just divide by 5. A lot easier than actually multiplying by 0.20.

To find 20%, move the decimal point over and double it. 15%, move the decimal point over, then add the number to half the number. Makes perfect sense to me, YMMV.

I've done all the types of calculations discussed but now that local sales tax is somewhat more than 9%, I just double the sales tax.

Save time, eat only in towns that have 10% tax, and you can double it quick as pie

rated:
corporateclaw said:   This seems like the type of place to post this inquiry: It seems like with every doctor's office that I go to, regardless of time of day of the appointment, I get the run-around of usually waiting at least 30 minutes before a nurse or something takes me back into the office, then she does a little something like take my BP or temp, and then I sit alone in the office for about 30 minutes before I'm seen by the doctor. It drives me crazy that there is pretty much universally a one-hour wait to see a doctor (from the time of the appointment).

I had the great fortune a few years ago, of being recommended to a dentist that runs his office kind of strange: He charges whatever he wants for services, bills it to the insurance, and then sends me a bill for the rest. It's usually not much of a difference, but he is really good, and the bonus is that if my appointment is at 3, and I show up at 2:45, I usually am taken back immediately and often, I'm back out the door before it's even 3. I think he takes less patients, or whatever, since he's getting more, and can have better service.

So, how in the world can I go about finding a doctor (or doctors) that do something like this? I have asked around and most people think that I'm exaggerating the wait time, recommend their doctor, and then the same stuff happens at their doctor. I just want to be able to take care of doctor's appointments without having to leave work for a 4-hour block of time (to see a doctor for 5 minutes).

Send the doctor a bill for the time you waited. Turn it over to a collections agency when he does not pay. Sue him in small claims court for breach of contract, since the appointment is a contract and you have damages.
Just don't get sick, or he will let you die.

rated:
buy an easypass for the turnpike. seems minor, but saves having to wait in the longer cash lines. also many states provide a discount for using it.

rated:
I hate to say it, but anybody who does not have an ez pass and has to wait in the cash line more than once a year, is an idiot.

rated:
When making coffee, put in the cream and sugar first, then pour in the coffee. No need to stir, so saves time and the little platic stirrer. Often in breakfast lines I am the only one who does things this way.

rated:
Buy programmable alarm clock with battery backup, even better, one with atomic time which automatically sets the time and time zones. Set it up one time, then you'll never need to worry about if you clock is set for work days or worry about the power going out. More and more people are relying on their smartphones to handle their alarm clock duties, but the phone is a huge theft target and is subject to breaking. iphone has had at least two problems with it's alarm clock functions and the pro golfer Jim Furyk missed a game due his phone battery being dead.

rated:
Better yet, an alarm clock with a built-in projector that displays the time on your ceiling. Saves you the time and effort it takes to turn your head all the way over to look at the clock.

rated:
Use an all in one soap / shampoo / conditioner. Saves a lot time

rated:
great threads. loving it.

rated:
Oh I think Nivea for Men has Shampoo, Conditioner, body Wash and Shave all in one

rated:
Paper plates for snacks, quick lunches, fruit. I used to think it was so poor and gross, then today I saw 100 plates for $3 and I thought, wow, what would it cost in water and electricity for the dishwasher, detergent, and time, to wash 100 plates? I thought $3 was actually high, since I've seen them for like .99 at CVS, but then I came to my senses.

rated:
AnnaMagnani said:   Paper plates for snacks, quick lunches, fruit. I used to think it was so poor and gross, then today I saw 100 plates for $3 and I thought, wow, what would it cost in water and electricity for the dishwasher, detergent, and time, to wash 100 plates? I thought $3 was actually high, since I've seen them for like .99 at CVS, but then I came to my senses.

Don't forget the cost of garbage collection...

rated:
AnnaMagnani said:   Paper plates for snacks, quick lunches, fruit. I used to think it was so poor and gross, then today I saw 100 plates for $3 and I thought, wow, what would it cost in water and electricity for the dishwasher, detergent, and time, to wash 100 plates? I thought $3 was actually high, since I've seen them for like .99 at CVS, but then I came to my senses.

I have often wondered that as far as "green" type issues. It would be interesting to see an actual non-biased look into the real economic and environmental costs of using disposable plates/bowls/silverware vs. non-disposable. I would think that if you could just totally do away with the non-disposable stuff, it would probably be cheaper and greener to just do disposable stuff, but obviously it would be hard to not own any glass/silverware. So it would pretty much just come down to the cost of soap/water vs. the cost of the disposable stuff/room in landfills.

rated:
Money saving tips that also save time...don't cost anything

- switch to using only cash, helps you watch your spending and doesn't change the time of the transaction.
- pay your bills automatically online, it's withdrawn from your account immediately and you already know how you need to work it into your budget
- use Mint.com or other site to review and watch transactions, you can categorize and it will automatically show you trends
- start saving automatically...have your savings account automatically take out money to transfer to your savings account, this is a great way to create disciplined savings

good luck!

rated:
florentanderson said:   - switch to using only cash, helps you watch your spending and doesn't change the time of the transaction.
How does this save money? If you're spending the money anyway, you're missing out on rewards and float. And pulling the right amount of cash out, the cashier opening the register, counting change, giving it to you, putting it away again...definitely slower than swiping a card and signing (if required).

Your M!nt.com advice is good and allows you to save time in tracking spending (using cards, because cash transactions aren't automatically tracked!)

rated:
I go into a blind rage if I have hot food and the person ahead pays with cash.

rated:
I don't like reading.

rated:
nycll said:   When making coffee, put in the cream and sugar first, then pour in the coffee. No need to stir, so saves time and the little platic stirrer. Often in breakfast lines I am the only one who does things this way.
This was standard procedure when I used to work at Dunkin' Donuts. Personally, I put sugar first, then coffee to melt the sugar, then cream/milk to cool the coffee. To each his own, but it's a good habit for people who know how they want their drink.
PS: Starbucks is for socialites or people who have no palate for coffee. DD is a close second. Local cafes are a coin flip.

rated:
florentanderson said:   
- switch to using only cash, helps you watch your spending and doesn't change the time of the transaction.

- use Mint.com or other site to review and watch transactions, you can categorize and it will automatically show you trends

The two things are a bit at odds with one another, if you use cash, most of the benefit of using Mint is gone, since you'll need to manually enter everything anyways. Also I find the first one entirely untrue for me, any bill under a $20 just seems to disappear on me. A week later I'll have no idea where I spent it, versus with a card I've at least got a record.

rated:
nice strategy, i have read it two times already..

rated:
corporateclaw said:   AnnaMagnani said:   Paper plates for snacks, quick lunches, fruit. I used to think it was so poor and gross, then today I saw 100 plates for $3 and I thought, wow, what would it cost in water and electricity for the dishwasher, detergent, and time, to wash 100 plates? I thought $3 was actually high, since I've seen them for like .99 at CVS, but then I came to my senses.

I have often wondered that as far as "green" type issues. It would be interesting to see an actual non-biased look into the real economic and environmental costs of using disposable plates/bowls/silverware vs. non-disposable. I would think that if you could just totally do away with the non-disposable stuff, it would probably be cheaper and greener to just do disposable stuff, but obviously it would be hard to not own any glass/silverware. So it would pretty much just come down to the cost of soap/water vs. the cost of the disposable stuff/room in landfills.
Penn & Teller covers this issue in one of BullS*it episode. Even though the economic of recycling is getting better, at best, it's a draw. do whatever it's easier for you.

rated:
Keep floss & mouthwash right outside your shower door. Floss while the water warms up and while you get in; swish the mouthwash while you shampoo. Just leave a glass in the shower to throw the floss in when you're done.

Easily saves about 60 seconds per day, and gets rid of the drooling over yourself problem

rated:
corporateclaw said:   AnnaMagnani said:   Paper plates for snacks, quick lunches, fruit. I used to think it was so poor and gross, then today I saw 100 plates for $3 and I thought, wow, what would it cost in water and electricity for the dishwasher, detergent, and time, to wash 100 plates? I thought $3 was actually high, since I've seen them for like .99 at CVS, but then I came to my senses.

It's also a trade-off in the actual natural resources used. Personally, I value trees so much that I go the non-disposable route.

rated:
tympani said:   
It's also a trade-off in the actual natural resources used. Personally, I value trees so much that I go the non-disposable route.

But when you use paper goods, you are altering the supply / demand equation for trees, creating marketplace signals to plant more of them...

rated:
Use eWallet to store your password, vehicle id number, insurance number, phone etc, it has apps on iphone and android that you can sync. Very handy when you need all the info.

rated:
Psycho41 said:   hcazual said: "* Get a car with a very long range on a full tank of fuel. Example: A VW Golf, Jetta, Beetle TDI Diesel with an 800 mile range per tank of Diesel (compare to 300-400 mile range for an "average" car.) This saves time by not requiring stopping at the filling station as often."

this makes little sense by itself. a 25mpg car with an 18 gallon tank will have approximately 2 less fill ups A YEAR than a 35mpg car with a 12 gallon tank. given the fact an 18 gallon tank car will almost certainly cost a whole lot more and the gas mileage will add to that, I suggest smaller more economic cars.

What part of "very long range" did you not understand? No one suggested buying a 450mpt car (miles-per-tank) over a 420mpt one. The example given was an 800mpt vs. 400mpt, an example which you conveniently ignored and replaced with a much crappier one. Strawman FTL.

hcazual said: if time=money, saving money on a car means you WORK LESS, SAVE TIME.
Well if your boss lets you go home early whenever you want, then more power to you. The rest of us don't have that kind of flexibility, so this thread is about trading money for extra time, not the other way around.

Did you do the math or understand what I said ? you actually fill up less on a more gas efficient car over the course of a year.

rated:
hcazual said:   Psycho41 said:   hcazual said: "* Get a car with a very long range on a full tank of fuel. Example: A VW Golf, Jetta, Beetle TDI Diesel with an 800 mile range per tank of Diesel (compare to 300-400 mile range for an "average" car.) This saves time by not requiring stopping at the filling station as often."

this makes little sense by itself. a 25mpg car with an 18 gallon tank will have approximately 2 less fill ups A YEAR than a 35mpg car with a 12 gallon tank. given the fact an 18 gallon tank car will almost certainly cost a whole lot more and the gas mileage will add to that, I suggest smaller more economic cars.

What part of "very long range" did you not understand? No one suggested buying a 450mpt car (miles-per-tank) over a 420mpt one. The example given was an 800mpt vs. 400mpt, an example which you conveniently ignored and replaced with a much crappier one. Strawman FTL.

hcazual said: if time=money, saving money on a car means you WORK LESS, SAVE TIME.
Well if your boss lets you go home early whenever you want, then more power to you. The rest of us don't have that kind of flexibility, so this thread is about trading money for extra time, not the other way around.

Did you do the math or understand what I said ? you actually fill up less on a more gas efficient car over the course of a year.

Uh, no, that's the opposite of what you said. You said to get a less gas efficient car because it costs less to buy, and that with the money you saved on the car, you could afford to work less, thus saving time, with no net loss of money. I responded by pointing out that most workers can't simply "work less" at their leisure, so that wouldn't really work out.

Did it really take you 8 months to come up with that?

rated:
Hire a general contractor to oversee the various trades employed for any job.

rated:
nycll said:   When making coffee, put in the cream and sugar first, then pour in the coffee. No need to stir, so saves time and the little platic stirrer. Often in breakfast lines I am the only one who does things this way.

LOL...back in my freshmen year of college, I started drinking coffee black just to say the time and hassle of putting in sugar and cream. I quickly learned to like it, and haven't looked back since.

rated:
I've never had a cup of coffee, saving me the hassle of having to buy, make or drink the stuff. This is the first time I've looked back, and I don't regret a thing about this.

rated:
Pee in the shower and wash your junk at the same time. It saves water. I'm leaving the office, will contribute more hard stuff shortly.

rated:
Even i m facing the same prob to manage budget with monthly expenses.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014