• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I'd like to hire someone to do my grocery shopping for me, and while they're out getting the stuff in my SUV, fill it up with gas.

Has anyone hired a 'mini-personal assistant' of this nature? I loathe grocery shopping, there's nothing redeeming about it, in any way. Would be thrilled to pay someone $15/hr to run a couple hours of errands for me per week.

rated:
Are you in an area that offers online grocery shopping a la freshdirect, very convenient.

rated:
CowbellMaster said:   I'd like to hire someone to do my grocery shopping for me, and while they're out getting the stuff in my SUV, fill it up with gas.

Has anyone hired a 'mini-personal assistant' of this nature? I loathe grocery shopping, there's nothing redeeming about it, in any way. Would be thrilled to pay someone $15/hr to run a couple hours of errands for me per week.

I wish I lived near you, I wouldn't mind finding someone to grocery shop for and get paid

rated:
weaselslave12 said:   CowbellMaster said:   I'd like to hire someone to do my grocery shopping for me, and while they're out getting the stuff in my SUV, fill it up with gas.

I wish I lived near you, I wouldn't mind finding someone to grocery shop for and get paid

agreed, where do you live? I'll do it for $15 an hour if I can do it on my own schedule (when I goto the store).

rated:
CowbellMaster said:   I'd like to hire someone to do my grocery shopping for me, and while they're out getting the stuff in my SUV, fill it up with gas.

I just read an ad in my paper for a local maid service. It said "ask us about our 'assistant for a day' service." You might want to check local cleaning services by you.

rated:
Suburbs of Buffalo. Now taking applications. Random drug tests will be administered.

rated:
BingBlangBlaow said:   CowbellMaster said:   I'd like to hire someone to do my grocery shopping for me, and while they're out getting the stuff in my SUV, fill it up with gas.

I just read an ad in my paper for a local maid service. It said "ask us about our 'assistant for a day' service." You might want to check local cleaning services by you.

That's funny, I saw the same thing in an ad for an asian massage parlor...

CowbellMaster said:   Suburbs of Buffalo. Now taking applications. Random drug tests will be administered.
So if it comes back positive for weed, does that mean fail or pass?

rated:
Psycho41 said:   

CowbellMaster said:   Suburbs of Buffalo. Now taking applications. Random drug tests will be administered.
So if it comes back positive for weed, does that mean fail or pass?

Depends on the size of the rack.

rated:
Great thread. I've used a lot of these strategies years ago...

rated:
joe55555 said:   I use roboform. i Can sync it accross multiple computers and everything is encrypted in its database. Its the best password vault/form filler i have used.

I liked the lastpass to fill the password. Free

rated:

I'd do that in a heartbeat!

But Buffalo is too far from Florida

rated:

I have done this. I put out an ad on craigslist to find someone to help me through really busy times at work (when I am busy I am BUSY at work) when I was single, about 2 1/2 years ago. I offered $10-15 per hour, and was also seeking someone who could cat-sit when I am out of town.

I was overwhelmed with responses. I probably received at least 40 responses within 24 hours, and I live in Southern California where the cost of living is high (and presumably then it would be harder to find people willing to work for a lower wage).

I had about 10 applicants that were outstanding, and ended up selecting someone who had significant experience pet-sitting but no experience cleaning and running errands. I chose her because she had referrals and worked at the police department. I called a referral to make sure she was ok and trustworthy before hiring.

It was one of the best decisions I have made- she is unbelievable and I can't believe I get her services for $15 an hour. She will shop, ship packages, sort files, etc. Anything I need. Before I put an ad on craigslist, I also looked at cleaning service companies, but they wanted about $60 per room to clean, which I found outrageous because you can clean my entire small apartment (750 sf) in about an hour and a half. I thought $120 was way too much for an hour and a half of unskilled labor. Craigslist was a way better deal.

rated:
This seems the place to throw it out there to youse guys. Hold down the 'Windows' key and press 'L' when you walk away from your work place or KB. This may save you money.... or something more important.

rated:
What happens if you use Yodlee Bill Pay and the check recipient does not deposit the money within 90 days? Do you get your payment back?

rated:
You'll eventually get it back, I think it depends on the institution. My one bank quoted me 6 months before they credit me; they enjoy the float for all that time.

rated:
Have a charger for your smartphone in your most used places. I have 2 at home, 1 in car, 1 at work. Make a habit of plugging in a couple times when not in use. Always stays charged so you don't run into those moments when you need a lot of juice but battery is almost dead so you're forced to use it while connected to a cable.

Also keep a small/durable USB drive with you at all times. Huge time saver. I've been using Verbatim Tuff-n-Tiny forever now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820235047

rated:
I have saved time by never washing either of my cars or bringing them to a car wash. I live in FL where the dirt is essentially sand, and the rain does a good enough job. Doesn't look immaculate, but I don't drive a car to impress people.

rated:
Finally if someone will follow all above mentioned tips then there are big chances that he/she will become a ROBOT a simple heartless machine. We shouldn't forget that we have to enjoy living our lives as well.

rated:
You don't live your life like this?

No wonder you get no joy outta life.

rated:
kiliman said:   -- When microwave dinners state that after 2 mins take out item, stir, and microwave again for 2 mins, just do 4 mins in one go instead. Hardly makes any difference if you stir or don't stir..

I take microwave frozen meals out the day before I plan to eat them or that morning, and let them defrost in the fridge. ESPECIALLY FAMILY SIZED ONES. 2 minutes saved on a single dinner is more like 8-10 on one of those freaking huge Stouffers Family Sized Lasagnas. It also cooks more even because half isn't frozen in the middle while the outside is boiling. This works well for pizza, pasta dishes, frozen veggies. But I wouldnt try it with anything breaded that has to be crispy, like fish sticks, as the breading gets too soggy when defrosted.

rated:
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but consider hiring a cleaning lady. I recently got one referred through a friend who comes and cleans extremely well twice a month. I'd be ok with 1/month but she requires 2x for steady business. Includes vacuuming, wiping everything down, dusting everything, thorough cleaning of kitchen/bathrooms, organizes the entire place, changes sheets, even puts away dirty dishes and leaves the entire place smelling fresh ... brings her own supplies/pro vacuum.

$140/month to cover a 1500sq ft condo but reduces my "life maintenance" to laundry + dishes (since it's a condo no exterior maintenance required).

rated:

Try http://www.taskrabbit.com

rated:
Don't waste your money buying lottery tickets! I spent $25.00 on mega. Matched a total of 4 numbers,of course not on same ticket!

rated:
Buy an automatic hand soap dispenser, rechargeable batteries, and 2 gallons of liquid soap from Costco. Saves time and money all around, also preventing time wasted cleaning up soap deposits.

rated:
110% agree - lists work or better yet, use your smartphones to keep track on the calendar itself.

rated:
jovoal said:   Don't waste your money buying lottery tickets! I spent $25.00 on mega. Matched a total of 4 numbers,of course not on same ticket!I'd return them.

rated:
wikisummary said: Fill up your tank as soon as it is "convenient" when the fuel light comes on. I used to wait until it was nearly empty so that I could reduce the stops by filling up 18gal each time instead of 16gal...but it's not worth the "headache" of having to remember and worry in the back of my mind. Plus I never care about gas price, just fill up when the light is on and on average you might end up paying $3/mo more for gas depending on how many miles you drive per month. [Waiting until your tank is almost empty doesn't save anything. It's the miles driven that matter.]

Maybe someone with more car knowledge than me can give a better answer than me...but I've been told it's bad on your car's fuel system to not fill up until the tank is nearly empty. As I understand, it puts more wear on the fuel pump and can lead to more dirt from inside the gas tank being pumped in.

Not sure how low is too low...but in my mind "nearly empty" is when the low fuel light is on (in my car, about 1-1.5 gallons remaining). I used to fill up when the tank was 1/4 full, but over the past few years I usually put it off until the light comes on. Still, waiting until you're possibly a couple miles away from a completely empty tank (just to save fuel) is probably more stingy than frugal, regardless of whether or not it's bad for your car.

rated:
Yes, in many of today's vehicles the fuel in the tank helps cool the fuel pump. Refilling when you reach a quarter of a tank is recommended.

rated:
To organize receipts go to a restaurant supply store and buy 2 receipt spikes. Every time you get a receipt you think you may need in the future, put it on the first spike. When full, start using 2nd spike. When 2nd spike is full you can throw out all the receipts on the first spike.

rated:
mashav said:   CowbellMaster said:   I'd like to hire someone to do my grocery shopping for me, and while they're out getting the stuff in my SUV, fill it up with gas.

Try http://www.taskrabbit.com

Thanks for the recommendation - I've looked into those types of services before but ultimately I found it's incredibly difficult to find good, cheap help. This is a general statement, but also in regards to grocery shopping, I do like to be able to pick out my family's food; I know what to look for in cuts of meat, know when to pass over certain produce, and often do little things like reach in the back of the bakery shelf for the loaves that have a later expiration date.

So, I took it upon myself to make grocery shopping as efficient as possible and have come up with a decent method that I'm happy to share in case it helps anyone else.

Get a list of which aisle (and sub-aisle, ie. A or B) the products you buy are and make a note of this in a spreadsheet. Many grocery stores have a map/guide online or in stores; if not, take a pen w/you and document as you shop. Most people only buy 40 or 50 different items per week. Put the aisle number in one column and the item in another. When you make your shopping list, sort by the aisle column and use that to weave in and out of aisles from one side of the store to the other, hitting dairy/frozen last if appropriate.

I also go one step further and use an android checklist app that's populated by a google doc my wife feeds into from home but that's another overly-nerdy discussion.

In the end, I have effectively halved the time I spend shopping. I never make extraneous purchases anyways but I think having a tight, efficient path when shopping would tend to reduce spontaneous purchases to those prone to them. Further, I think being as efficient as I could possibly be makes the task of shopping less horrible for me.

rated:
hemalk said:   Oh I think Nivea for Men has Shampoo, Conditioner, body Wash and Shave all in one

That's what I use. Now I don't have to buy seperate shampoo, shaving cream and soap. Only thing you need to get used to rinsing more thoroughly because the product is very creamy and sticks to your skin more. That's because of the saving cream properties.

And, get a fogless mirror that attaches to the bathroom tile for the shower. You can shower, brush your teeth and shave while in the shower without having to walk out, dry and use the sink. When the mirror begins to fog after time, use rain-X fogless window treatment to renew is foglessness.

rated:
mukeshkkashyap said:   FWF stratergies help in savin time..Autopay all utilities, other recurring charges: I try to have them charged to a credit card, rather than withdrawn from checking (to maximize cc points, minimize revealing bank account info, and to be able to dispute the cc charge if there is a problem). this could be done practically.

This is a good idea. Just be careful especially with utilities because they charge extra fees for credit card transactions. For example I don't pay my gas, water and electric bills with credit cards because of $2-$4 fees. Ridiculous.

I do have my gym membership, cable, heating oil, Netflix on auto-deduct from credit card though. Its great not having to worry about paying 4-6 bills every month and getting charged late fees when you forget to pay on time.

Trying to apply for a new home rebate reward credit card and just going to charge everything on it and pay the bill in full each month. That way I can at least pay off a tiny bit of principal from my mortgage using the bank's money.

rated:
time is really money, when you know exactly how to organize and spend the time you have on each activity , you'll find your self having extra time for leisure

rated:
Goferebater said:   I have saved time by never washing either of my cars or bringing them to a car wash. I live in FL where the dirt is essentially sand, and the rain does a good enough job. Doesn't look immaculate, but I don't drive a car to impress people.

Unfortunately, in the Midwest, car washes are important... especially because of so much salt on roadways.

However, at least in Chicago, there's a bunch of $3 automatic car washes.... and some places in the suburbs have a vacuum station to use for free while you wait to get you car wash... clean the interior and trunk yourself, wash the car for $3, and you car will look pretty good.
(I think every other month you should get a proper wash though to clean the undercarriage)

rated:
I'm too poor too

rated:
One way I save time and money is to bulk purchase meat. I will buy 30-40 pounds of hamburger meat and cook it all up at once in ground form. I will then place the meat in freezer containers as I am cooking it (after it has cooled). I use ONE big pot which I have to wash.

When pulling cooked meat out of the freezer, I am saving time in the kitchen. The meat will only need to be defrosted a little, then added to the dish I am cooking. It can be added to spaghetti, hamburger helper, chili, and so much more quickly.

rated:
Keeping your bills organized and paying them on time will definitely prevent late fees. This is even more important now days - if you are late on one account, the interest will go up on ALL your credit accounts. This is huge and could sink the ship if you are having financial challenges.

rated:
I should of read this thread a few years back, got a few good ideas! Thanks`

rated:
Become a snowbird. I know. $$$$. But it really is cheaper & more of a time saver after the start up cost & pain & suffering.
No weather related time lost.
No need for a bulky 4wd = smaller more fuel eff. car that's easier to care for, fuel & park.
Not having to work to pay high heating & AC bills.
One line of clothes, instead of all that seasonal stuff to buy & sort through all the time.
You get a new internet deal every 6 months.
People are always happy to see you. (ok I wish. They actually hate you) But somehow you like it.

Phone- take your ooma.

I work from home. All files on comp.
Bargains on warm weather clothes when fall is approaching here up north.
Buy your clothes in the state that has no taxes on them Vs. Fl.
I do also buy clothes in Fl when they have sales on sweaters, jeans & light jackets.
Standardize your tastes across both homes. Something breaks you can use it for parts in both places. Think cars, stereos, printers workout equp. etc.

Buy 2 smaller homes in 2 states instead of one big one in one to pull it off. Unless of course, your rich. Then you don't need FW.
Get more done. Live longer bc you're in better health & often outdoors.. What saves more time than good health..
I'll ad more as I think of it. I started in my mid 40's & have been at it for almost a decade.

rated:

Pea Pod does this, clicking on the items is like doing a grocery list, then then deliver it to the kitchen.
Course does not fill the SUV with gas, but doesn't use any either.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014