• filter:
  • 115 16 171819
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
so long...

rated:
Makayla2845 said:   Thanks for the info, it was really helpful.

I would have thought Makayla would not be impressed.

rated:
Use lastpass or similar plugin with your browsing. It will remember all passwords as well as generate a strong & unique password for each of your web accounts whatever site they may be on. I believe there are similar services like keepass, xmarks etc..

Saves tonnes of time and keeps you secure at the same time.

rated:
anokun7 said:   Use lastpass or similar plugin with your browsing. It will remember all passwords as well as generate a strong & unique password for each of your web accounts whatever site they may be on. I believe there are similar services like keepass, xmarks etc..

Keepass is better than a plugin for browser, as it works on multiple operating systems, and you can easily backup the encrypted database file to a separate file to store off your computer (like on a thumb drive). So if your computer is stolen, you will still have access to all your password protected sites.
Frankly I don't think browsers are all that secure, for a secure plugin to be safely built on top of them.
Keepass is free.

rated:
BlueSeaLake said:   anokun7 said:   Use lastpass or similar plugin with your browsing. It will remember all passwords as well as generate a strong & unique password for each of your web accounts whatever site they may be on. I believe there are similar services like keepass, xmarks etc..

Keepass is better than a plugin for browser, as it works on multiple operating systems, and you can easily backup the encrypted database file to a separate file to store off your computer (like on a thumb drive). So if your computer is stolen, you will still have access to all your password protected sites.
Frankly I don't think browsers are all that secure, for a secure plugin to be safely built on top of them.
Keepass is free.

- LastPass is a browser plugin, so it also works on multiple Operating Systems.
- The encrypted file of hashed-passwords in stored server-side, so you also have access to all your password-protected sites in the event of a lost PC.
- Because no one performs any form of on-line banking, shopping, or tax-returns via a web browser, due to their innate insecurity. (???)
- LastPass is also free.

I have no experience with Keepass, but I'm having a difficult time seeing how it is somehow inherently better than LastPass (based on your post.) Like the OP mentioned, they all perform the same basic functions, so take your pick.

There are some previous posts in this thread that detail how to use the password-managers to optimize your work.

My Previous LastPass Post

rated:
I always hated having my browser remember passwords ever since I used a tool to import such passwords into my roboform program and it let me take them all unencrypted. Made me wonder how secure it is to have a browser remember anything for me.

rated:
DavidScubadiver said:   I always hated having my browser remember passwords ever since I used a tool to import such passwords into my roboform program and it let me take them all unencrypted. Made me wonder how secure it is to have a browser remember anything for me.

It isn't secure at all. That is why everyone is recommending using tools like LastPass instead of letting the browser save the passwords for you.

rated:

rated:
I like this thread however, it is a good idea to ask for other opinions or ideas when it comes to getting things done. I feel that doing things yourself is better because it gives me a sense of accomplishment no matter how long it takes me. It is not about how rich or poor a person is, it's about enjoying your own accomplishments and that you can do it yourself.

rated:
I had a class once where the professor taught the strategy "other peoples time and other peoples money". It basically said to take a loan out, and buy something you can rent to others (like an apartment complex). So while other people spend their time to make money to pay to you, you can focus your time on other ways of making money. And the risk isn't much because you aren't really using your own money, you are using a loan. The worst that happens is you file bankruptcy, which as we have seen, isn't that big of a deal.

rated:
BlueSeaLake said:   CowbellMaster said:   I'd like to hire someone to do my grocery shopping for me, and while they're out getting the stuff in my SUV, fill it up with gas.

Has anyone hired a 'mini-personal assistant' of this nature? I loathe grocery shopping, there's nothing redeeming about it, in any way. Would be thrilled to pay someone $15/hr to run a couple hours of errands for me per week.

Pea Pod does this, clicking on the items is like doing a grocery list, then then deliver it to the kitchen.
Course does not fill the SUV with gas, but doesn't use any either.

If you're in NYC, you can hire temp-help at Task Rabbit (taskrabbit.com)

rated:
Usingmiles.com, free lifetime premier membership:

https://www.usingmiles.com/account/signup?abv=2-3&pc=LFLYER

This is really helpful for managing your reward accounts.

rated:
HiLine said:   Usingmiles.com, free lifetime premier membership:

https://www.usingmiles.com/account/signup?abv=2-3&pc=LFLYER

This is really helpful for managing your reward accounts.

Anyone else use this ?

rated:
I do. It's like awardwallet. Good way to compile rewards accounts.

rated:
Use Amazon Subscribe & Save to get items like soaps, beverages etc automatically delivered on a pre-set schedule (every 1, 2, 3 4 or 6 months). If you also have prime shipping (and a mastercard), you get to save on 2 day shipping + 5% (S&S discount) and 15% (mastercard YMMV discount). Plus you dont have to go hunting for that perfect sized drink / price again...

Ohh - You can cancel anytime with no repercussions whatsoever.

rated:
ererevv said:   One way I save time and money is to bulk purchase meat. I will buy 30-40 pounds of hamburger meat and cook it all up at once in ground form. I will then place the meat in freezer containers as I am cooking it (after it has cooled). I use ONE big pot which I have to wash.

When pulling cooked meat out of the freezer, I am saving time in the kitchen. The meat will only need to be defrosted a little, then added to the dish I am cooking. It can be added to spaghetti, hamburger helper, chili, and so much more quickly.

I also buy meat in bulk and put them in ziplocks..i lay it flat and freeze it that way...it is easier to stack in freezer..kinda like a filing cabinet..lol...and since it is not bulky it takes less time to defrost....or or place in pan like a giant patty...defrost and cooks faster..( if raw)

This also works with leftover spaghetti sauces, soups,,,pretty much anything that can be layed flat in freezer and frozen.

rated:
+1 for keepass, been using it for years in combination with dopbox.

rated:
Gave up LastPass after they were 'potentially' hacked in 2011.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/227268/lastpass_ceo_exclusive_int...

rated:
innuen6o said:   Gave up LastPass after they were 'potentially' hacked in 2011.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/227268/lastpass_ceo_exclusive_int...

Personally I gained greater faith in LastPass after their CEO demonstrated that he knew his business by skillfully explaining what the potential problem was and how they fixed it. I'm even further impressed that they don't think more than a handful of accounts could even potentially have been compromised yet they took drastic measures (forced *everyone* to change their passwords) to ensure the issue was corrected.

Giving up LastPass because they were upfront about a very minor *potential* security breach sounds rash at best.

rated:
buy a couple of those cheap specialized paint can openers, most stores give them to you when you buy the paint, but the key is to keep them in a spot you'll know where to find them. I've spot painted my basement 3 times (thanks to my drywall smashing children) with the same can of paint and it seals back up perfectly because the opener leaves no indents that even the most careful screw driver will.

rated:
A quick story for you DIYers.

We were spending the night at a Motel 6 in St. George, Utah many years ago. We were awakened early the next morning by screaming outside. Statements such as 'my whole life is gone' and 'everything I had was in there'.

A guest had had his Uhaul stolen while he slept. Yeah, the St. George police were right on it. Sigh.

What do we learn here?

1.) If you are renting a truck for a long move, insist on a column lock or alarm, or both. The key into the dash models are easily stolen.

2.) Don't put all of your eggs into one basket. If you do, watch that basket like a hawk.

rated:
Wow, this is a really great thread, I've just now stumbled on it.

rated:
BitemeIamtoxic said:   A quick story for you DIYers.

We were spending the night at a Motel 6 in St. George, Utah many years ago. We were awakened early the next morning by screaming outside. Statements such as 'my whole life is gone' and 'everything I had was in there'.

A guest had had his Uhaul stolen while he slept. Yeah, the St. George police were right on it. Sigh.

What do we learn here?

1.) If you are renting a truck for a long move, insist on a column lock or alarm, or both. The key into the dash models are easily stolen.

2.) Don't put all of your eggs into one basket. If you do, watch that basket like a hawk.
Buy a club?

rated:
grate & right concept every one need to save the time & convert your valuable into money.

rated:
Something I noticed that people are not taking advantage of. Most smartphones have a VIP flag for email. I use a different tone for my VIP emails versus my regular emails. That way I do not have to waste time reaching for my phone on a pointless email that I can look at later. I also do the same for ring tones and text tones.

rated:
Farish said:   Something I noticed that people are not taking advantage of. Most smartphones have a VIP flag for email. I use a different tone for my VIP emails versus my regular emails. That way I do not have to waste time reaching for my phone on a pointless email that I can look at later. I also do the same for ring tones and text tones.

I am a little different on that one. I don't jump on every ping, ding, ting, etc I get. I carve out a few mins here and there to catch up rather than switching to it every time unless there is something for sure I am expecting to come through from family. However, setting up different tones for favorites, etc is definitely a good idea for most folks.

rated:
I've found gmail's "priority inbox" actually works really well. I have my phone set to alert when I get one in my priority inbox, but if it doesn't qualify for priority inbox then it doesn't ding. Saves me looking at my phone for all the spam.

rated:
jcaserta said:   I've found gmail's "priority inbox" actually works really well. I have my phone set to alert when I get one in my priority inbox, but if it doesn't qualify for priority inbox then it doesn't ding. Saves me looking at my phone for all the spam.In conjunction to that, the "Promotions" label will remove emails blasts from retailers, etc. from your inbox into a folder called Promotions. The only emails that hit your inbox are ones that are actually written to you and not "generated"

rated:
Strolling through this thread giving red to all the chicks who aren't happy with the posts here. Do I get a badge for giving enough Red out there?

rated:
To clean the interior of my car, I like to use the pay vacuum stations at gas stations and car washes, rather than use my own vacuum. Yes it costs about $1 to do, as opposed to using my own vacuum for free, but has many advantages:

1. The gas station vacuums are basically indestructable. No need to worry about damaging your home vacuum.
2. They have enormous suction - can easily suck up caked on dirt, leaves, sand, whatever. No need to worry where it all goes.
3. I find this "saves time" as tchere's the psychological pressure of completing the job in just one or two cycles. I quickly prepare the care by pulling out all floor mats, plus any junk on the floor, open all the car doors, then insert money. It always goes faster than vacuuming at home.

rated:
Kanosh said:   To clean the interior of my car, I like to use the pay vacuum stations at gas stations and car washes, rather than use my own vacuum. Yes it costs about $1 to do, as opposed to using my own vacuum for free, but has many advantages:

1. The gas station vacuums are basically indestructable. No need to worry about damaging your home vacuum.
2. They have enormous suction - can easily suck up caked on dirt, leaves, sand, whatever. No need to worry where it all goes.
3. I find this "saves time" as tchere's the psychological pressure of completing the job in just one or two cycles. I quickly prepare the care by pulling out all floor mats, plus any junk on the floor, open all the car doors, then insert money. It always goes faster than vacuuming at home.

...not to mention the time you save by not having to lug the home vacuum out of the closet, plugging it in, hooking up the proper attachment, etc.

rated:
I didn't realize people cleaned their cars with their home vacuums to begin with.

rated:
Kanosh said:   To clean the interior of my car, I like to use the pay vacuum stations at gas stations and car washes, rather than use my own vacuum. Yes it costs about $1 to do, as opposed to using my own vacuum for free, but has many advantages:

Do you live near an automated car wash?

I have one near me. They charge $5 for a car wash. It includes access to vacuums and these really nifty floor mat cleaners. You feed them through a machine with a roller. In just 5 seconds they roll out nice and clean.

rated:
I wash my car once per year, rest of the times if it gets dirty I just leave it out in the rain and it gets clean enough.
I do clean my windows while filling the car with gas because sometimes it doesn't rain enough.

rated:
cKGunslinger said:   BlueSeaLake said:   anokun7 said:   Use lastpass or similar plugin with your browsing. It will remember all passwords as well as generate a strong & unique password for each of your web accounts whatever site they may be on. I believe there are similar services like keepass, xmarks etc..

Keepass is free.

- LastPass is a browser plugin, so it also works on multiple Operating Systems.
- The encrypted file of hashed-passwords in stored server-side, so you also have access to all your password-protected sites in the event of a lost PC.
- Because no one performs any form of on-line banking, shopping, or tax-returns via a web browser, due to their innate insecurity. (???)
- LastPass is also free.

I have no experience with Keepass, but I'm having a difficult time seeing how it is somehow inherently better than LastPass (based on your post.) Like the OP mentioned, they all perform the same basic functions, so take your pick.

There are some previous posts in this thread that detail how to use the password-managers to optimize your work.

My Previous LastPass Post

I wouldn't want all my passwords stored on some server (in the cloud), because I work in IT, so I know lots of people have access to all the files, and backups are made and kept for long periods of time. Plus certain servers are nice fat targets if they store many peoples codes/credit cards.

I agree, people are free to pick whatever one they like, but it is a good idea to use something so that all 100 passwords or more to all those sites are complex, different from each other, random, and Quick and Easy to use.

rated:
BlueSeaLake said:   I wouldn't want all my passwords stored on some server (in the cloud), because I work in IT, so I know lots of people have access to all the files, and backups are made and kept for long periods of time. Plus certain servers are nice fat targets if they store many peoples codes/credit cards.

I agree, people are free to pick whatever one they like, but it is a good idea to use something so that all 100 passwords or more to all those sites are complex, different from each other, random, and Quick and Easy to use.

Please read up on the technology before commenting. At least with LastPass, nobody at their company has any access whatsoever to your data. Everything is encrypted/decrypted on your local PC. Using something like LastPass saves time (which is the point of this thread) and is completely secure.

rated:
* Use click and pull service from Sams Club. Order online and just pickup the cart! Saves me 30 min or so every time i do it.

Thank you for this tip, whoever posted it (it was in the summary)! I never knew about this.

rated:
If you're on the computer a lot, use AutoHotkey to map shortcuts to keyboard/mouse actions. Some common tasks include:

Calculator, web browser, email, copy/cut/paste, "to do" list (text file), new text file, file browser/explorer/my computer, "Control Panel" folder, move cursor to url bar (akin to F6 or Ctrl+L on most browsers)

i.e. pretty much anything you use often enough to put on the desktop, quick launch, or start menu, you can map to a keyboard or mouse shortcut. You may only save a few seconds each time, but to paraphrase Steve Jobs, if every computer user saves just 1 minute per day, then every day it will add up to a lifetime worth of free time.

rated:
Buy extra clothes hangers. They are cheap and will save you time searching.

My wife thought I was crazy when I brought home 5 extra packs, but I was sick of searching the entire closet for 1 missing hanger. For $5-10, I've never had to search again.

rated:
Psycho41 said:   If you're on the computer a lot, use AutoHotkey to map shortcuts to keyboard/mouse actions. Some common tasks include:

Calculator, web browser, email, copy/cut/paste, "to do" list (text file), new text file, file browser/explorer/my computer, "Control Panel" folder, move cursor to url bar (akin to F6 or Ctrl+L on most browsers)

i.e. pretty much anything you use often enough to put on the desktop, quick launch, or start menu, you can map to a keyboard or mouse shortcut. You may only save a few seconds each time, but to paraphrase Steve Jobs, if every computer user saves just 1 minute per day, then every day it will add up to a lifetime worth of free time.

How do you do this?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.