• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Has anyone use this yet? www.justthrive.com? I read about it in Fast Company yesterday and they have a lot of funding and big name supporters. I used to use Quicken, but have been considering using Mint, and now this. Running a few small businesses, wife as well, managing a slew of personal finances, AOR, etc it can get overwhelming so I wanted to get a discussion going if anyone is familiar with thrive as I don't see any previous posts mentioning it.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

seems to be another front end to yodlee, much like mint.com. Personally, I think i'll stick with yodlee since I've already set up an account with them, and don't want to have to migrate over to another service.

mint is a frontend for yodlee, and actually done by the same people.. but thrive is different. for one i know yodlee actually stores the logins/passwords to the bank accounts and such in an encrypted database. thrive connects once you authenticate and keeps the one-way tunnel open, never storing that sensitive information. i imagine there's less banks supported with thrive though since it isn't yodlee.

ilikebtmoney said: thrive connects once you authenticate and keeps the one-way tunnel open, never storing that sensitive information.
This seems nearly impossible to me. Do they open a session to the bank account and then keep pulling a page every 5 minutes to keep it from timing out?

jdmetz said: ilikebtmoney said: thrive connects once you authenticate and keeps the one-way tunnel open, never storing that sensitive information.
This seems nearly impossible to me. Do they open a session to the bank account and then keep pulling a page every 5 minutes to keep it from timing out?

Give them a call and ask.

Regarding www.justthrive.com (Thrive): Nice to see us getting some coverage on FatWallet: after all the years I've been lurking on the forums and taking advantage of deals, it is nice to finally say "Hey, I work for this company." I'm the Lead Scientist at Thrive: if you've got questions or feature request or support issues, feel free to let me know and I'll take a stab at them.

Just Thrive appears to be using Yodlee which is a plus, and it is an offer-based mechanism (higher APR here for savings, lower APR for loans offer, etc.).

Rasheed

Not sure how comfortable I feel about giving all these different companies my login information for my bank. They can say it's secure a million times, but the fact is that they have my login information stored somewhere on their systems, and that means someone can see it.

MrHealer said: Regarding www.justthrive.com (Thrive): Nice to see us getting some coverage on FatWallet: after all the years I've been lurking on the forums and taking advantage of deals, it is nice to finally say "Hey, I work for this company." I'm the Lead Scientist at Thrive: if you've got questions or feature request or support issues, feel free to let me know and I'll take a stab at them.
So I guess this question can be directed to you -- how secure is my information?

rasheedb: We do use Yodlee and generate some revenue through offers, although our primary focus in product is always on advice - hence things like the financial health score, which go beyond account recommendations to analyzing everything from your credit score to your spending rate.

t60: I can certainly understand your security concerns: I'm always happy when our users are wary about giving out information, as it means they will be good consumers in the world.

In terms of electronic security, you'll see that we use full SSL encryption (look for the extra S in your address bar: https) and are certified by three outside vendors daily - you can see their blazes at the bottom of every page and click on them for more information from those organizations.

It is also worth noting that every member of our team uses the site, so when we're protecting your data, we're also protecting ours. By bringing all your accounts into one place without actually enabling people to move money around, we hope to help them better monitor their information, to get a jump on any identity issues or account theft that may happen outside of Thrive.

So take your time, get comfortable with the site, and we'll be here when you're ready. If you want to check out some information on our security, you can always take a look at our FAQ at

https://www.justthrive.com/footerpages/faq.seam

And of course, you're also welcome to give us at (646) 415-8413 if you want to talk to an actual person; the phone is literally on my desk and I generally pick up unless I'm on another line. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

If there comes a time when you're ready - we'll be here.

As I posted back in January, I read the article that said you open a one-way tunnel with the bank or source for the connection, and that the password's aren't actually stored on your servers. Is that true or was that incorrect?

Besides the initial passwords and SSL (that's just frontend security) what is done on the backend to secure the integrity? I opened an account in January but never did anything with it just as I haven't with any of these sites because I've yet to hear of a truly good method for securing this information. Please if you can go into a little more detail as this will help you gain a lot of trust, and customers

edit: this is taken from your FAQ, "The login credentials for your bank are used to create a secure connection with your bank, but we do not store that information on our systems." So then question is, who does then?

MrHealer - thanks for stopping in! I've always been perplexed when company rep's don't frequently visit websites/forums that are related to their product, or aren't a great viral source of marketing for their product.

Do you have a list anywhere of what banks/credit unions currently work with your site (or back-end, ie my local credit union uses Digital Insight)? Will I have a problem with T. Rowe Price, Vanguard, Fidelity, or Charles Schwab? How about brokerage services, like thinkorswim? Treasury bonds - ie I hold i-bonds!

Thanks!

any info about

https://money.strands.com/
?
from makers of networthiq..

ilikebtmoney: That is true - they are stored at an account aggregator affiliated with the bank, which then sends us just your transaction information. I sympathize with the trust piece, but I also recognize the paradox of security: if you give too many specifics, you also open yourself up to concentrated attack. If you have specific questions, I can try to answer those, but don't want to say too much wholesale.

On another note - we take a lot of pride in making sure that we are here: at the other end of the phone, in the office, in the press, working for both Thrive users and people in general. Each of us is attaching our face and name to Thrive because we believe in what we do.

And I actually think that's a relevant security concern. Amid all this talk about banks and bonuses and lack of transparency, I can't help but wonder how things might have turned out different with AIG and others if those people were publicly exposed to the world and therefore accountable. We know people make very different decisions when they know their name and face are going to be attached to them.

So my name is Matt Wallaert, my picture (and most regretted purchase and executive bio) are up on the Thrive site and I'm on the other end of the phone when you call. And I'm a long-time FatWallet user, for those that think that matters. =]

brajalle: My pleasure. I'm actually a frequently FWer, so it is more that I just happened to stumble on this thread. But I'm with you - we're not huge on being out there for viral marketing purposes, but rather just because we think being out there is the right thing to do. If people have questions/concerns/comments about our process, they deserve to be heard and answered, particularly when your entire service is to be a trusted advisor. So I'll try to be checking here as often as I can.

We don't post a list of banks that work in Thrive mainly because the list changes daily - sometimes banks inadvertently break their Thrive access by changing security protocols (amazingly, often the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at banks) and more importantly, we are adding new ones every day. So instead, we'd rather let people sign up and found out for themselves - this way, if they don't find their bank, we can easily help them let us know so that we can prioritize trying to get that bank working. We actually keep a master list of all requested banks, how many people have requested them, and any contact info we have there so that we can actively work to add banks.

gobucs007: I'm afraid I can't really say much about them. Do you have a more specific question, other than just mentioning them?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014