• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
From my understanding, Mint sells generic data, not "John Smith, of Los Angeles, CA, using bank X, with balance of Y.." but it keeps the account holder information off and they basically use the information for statistical purposes instead of targeted for individuals and invasion of privacy concerns.

By the way, keep an eye on some announcement from Yodlee in near future.
Reference: twitter.com/yodlee

MrHealer said: @chocula: Mint sells your data as a way of funding themselves - why would they want to let you remove an account? Less data for them to sell.

Because otherwise the poster won't use Mint at all (perhaps)?

I'm late to this thread also. I have been using MS Money for the longest time and now that it is no longer being supported I figured it's time to move on. I need a service/application that allows me to enter transactions in a registry for individual checks so that I have a complete view of outstanding payments vs current balance. The online services seem to only show you what has cleared your account. What happens if I have $2k in outstanding checks and $2k in my account, the online services would show I have $2k when in actuality I have $0

I was considering the latest version of Quicken but I read many poor reviews of it.

Also, Money gave me much better investment transaction information for tax purposes; better than E-trade and TDAmeritrade. From this thread it sounds as though Yodlee allows you to do this, is that correct? If so what happens when that check actually clears your account, is it double posted or would I have to manually remove one of the transactions? Sorry for the confusing post, I hope I explained it clearly.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Moneydance

I started using this about a year ago. It works well and does not force you to upgrade every couple of years.

Quicken (offline)

Yodlee customer service is sux big time. They use India and they're horrible. They used to always willing to add new bank/account, nowadays they won't.

ziffy said: Yodlee customer service is sux big time. They use India and they're horrible. They used to always willing to add new bank/account, nowadays they won't.

Yeah! Makes you want to cancel paying for their service and go with their competition instead.

Red for bringing back a dying thread with a waste of a post.

...yeah I know I did it too.

Any ETA on a Yodlee iPhone app ? Did the Twitter announcement have to do with their new Beta, or is there something else coming up ?

marketingmike said: chocula said:
Is there a way to delete all accounts at a bank on Mint except the one you want?

Not that I have found.

The way I do it is to use separate categories for expenses that I don't want to see in my main budget. E.g. business expenses don't have a budget on the first page but for transactions from my business checking account I categorize them as such; when I want to review them I look at only that category in the transactions view.

Mint is pretty good but limited in various ways, including the one you mention.

There is a way. Make tags, and tag your things accordingly. You can also setup auto-tagging rules. Go to "My Account" and "Hide/Show" and say "Hide X tag from: trends and planning or all of mint."

For some reason, Yodlee refuses to connect with my Penfed mortgage account

FYI, Mint is soon to be part of Intuit.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/09/13/intuit-to-acquire-former-techcrunch50-winner-mint-for-170-million/

Just finished a switch from MS Money to Moneydance this weekend. So far I like it. A couple of small drawbacks.

#1 - Not as many banks are connected to do transaction downloads.
#2 - It does not remember passwords for downloads (it does remember usernames though), therefore you cannot do a batch download of transactions for all connected accounts.

Overall it does not have as many of the extra features (or maybe I have not found them yet), but it has the necessities for me.

Yodlee hasn't worked with ING in forever and Mint.com doesn't support auto-login or, it seems, bill pay. Grrrr.

guffey said: I am surprised no one has mentioned Moneydance

I started using this about a year ago. It works well and does not force you to upgrade every couple of years.
Moneydance is perfect for those who need "cross-platform" compatibility, and by that I mean, I can look at and make modifications to my moneydance data at work (on the p.c.) and at home (on the mac) and it is absolutely seamless.

The downside is that the program is not as robust as Quicken - the reporting features are not as good. But for keeping track of your balances, its great. Its okay for tracking investments, better if you have only one brokerage account, because you can't really aggregate stock holdings across accounts to see how many shares you own if you them split up among brokerage accounts.

Quicken is dying. This from the founder of Intuit (on Mint's website, regarding the merger)mint.com said: Scott Cook from Intuit here. OK, Iím about to date myself. Long ago (27 years ago in fact), I watched my wife complain about paying the bills. That gave me an idea. And that idea became Quicken. Check with your parents Ė they might use it. Maybe even your grandparents. But probably not you. For many of you, Quicken is a 20th century product in a 21st century world. Itís like the car your parents had growing up. So you turned to Mint.com. Because it wasnít Quicken. Mint brings a fresh, unique approach to managing money, creating new ways to help you save or get out of debt. I so admire what Aaron and the team have done and how they have done it. I can recognize great innovators and innovation when I see it. As you know, Intuit has entered into an agreement to buy Mint. Over the past few days, Iíve read your posts and comments. I understand your concerns about what will happen to Mint in the future. So let me set the record straight: Mint.com isnít changing. It is remaining free. Following the close of the acquisition, Aaron Patzer and the Mint team will remain in charge of Mint.com to continue both its principles and its fast pace of progress. Weíre not planning to change Mint.com and make it like Quicken. Quite the opposite. Aaron and team will also run Quicken and Quicken.com to ensure this doesnít happen. Plus they will benefit from this larger pool of resources. I want Mint thinking to infuse Quicken. On a personal level, Mintís leaders have earned the chance to re-invent all of personal finance on the broadest canvas possible. I will give them that chance. Will you? I hope youíll be part of it. Scott Cook Founder, Intuit

captainjrl said: Just finished a switch from MS Money to Moneydance this weekend. So far I like it. A couple of small drawbacks.

#1 - Not as many banks are connected to do transaction downloads.
#2 - It does not remember passwords for downloads (it does remember usernames though), therefore you cannot do a batch download of transactions for all connected accounts.

Overall it does not have as many of the extra features (or maybe I have not found them yet), but it has the necessities for me.
My moneydance has the passwords memorized....
And the beauty of moneydance is you can download the data as "microsoft money" or qif, or whatever you like and moneydance will read it and import it for you. Just click "open with" moneydance when you get the file

Upgraded to Quicken 2010. The only new features I see are:

- Refreshed interface styling (a bit brighter), but these changes are purely cosmetic. I do like them.
- Data files consolidated into single .QDF file. This means that backups only take one file now, and also that any attached files (such as check images) are inside .QDF and encrypted. Good.
- Some very minor things, such as ability to hide cents in totals shown on account sidebar. Meh.

I'm sure they worked hard on MS Money conversion, but for me that is not relevant. Also, all the "easier to get started" stuff is also useless for long-time users.

Pretty lame upgrade, although that's typical for Quicken over the past few years. I'm sure there will be some more minor tweaks I'll notice with time, but that's hard to justify the price tag, even after rebate/coupons.

There isn't an "What's New in 2010" document included. How telling..

For those with Yodlee connection issues try free Qui-cken,
http://www.quickenonline.intuit.com/

Connects to many many more accounts.

all you Quicken gurus,

wondering how you guys organize the credit card payments and ach transfers between accounts.

do you use credit card payment category or categorize them as transfers and then match the downloaded ones?

the thing i don't like about doing that is the matching transactions date made may not always be the same as the originating transfers.. some payments and ach's take a few days to post on the transferee. also the transaction details are not saved on the 2nd-matching transaction

i've set up a funds in transfer account, which gets zeroed out when the transfer completes, but it still seems like an awkward work around

ziffy said: Yodlee customer service is sux big time. They use India and they're horrible. They used to always willing to add new bank/account, nowadays they won't.
Although many of their developers and CSRs are in India, I've found them to be quite helpful and competent. Both times I've had issues with data (Charter TurboChecking transactions showing up multiple times, and National City CardServices started redirecting to PNC CardServices) they've fixed things within two days.

Adding new sites is an issue - I think Yodlee simply has too many users requesting too many new sites to be added. They now rank sites to add based on how many users have added a "Manual Account" with the site's domain name and add the top 10 or so each month.

I'm currently using offline MS Money and Excel. I have credit cards, money market accounts, and checking account that I keep track of. I use Excel because I also do cash transactions (<$10 for small items like fast food, etc). I'd like to switch to a faster all-in-one method.

- I considered Yodlee vs Mint, but they're online. I am worried about security.
- How does one handle cash transactions? I use cash for small transactions. I'm not always careful and some of the cash withdrawn is not always tracked. Creating a separate "cash" account may be more troublesome.

jamesfatwallet said: all you Quicken gurus,

wondering how you guys organize the credit card payments and ach transfers between accounts.

do you use credit card payment category or categorize them as transfers and then match the downloaded ones?

the thing i don't like about doing that is the matching transactions date made may not always be the same as the originating transfers.. some payments and ach's take a few days to post on the transferee. also the transaction details are not saved on the 2nd-matching transaction

i've set up a funds in transfer account, which gets zeroed out when the transfer completes, but it still seems like an awkward work around

I categorize them as transfers, however I also enter all of my transactions manually. Old-fashioned, I know, but it forces me to check every transaction to make sure it's legit.

For those using moneydance, they updated to a 2010 addition which is a bit more usable in terms of reports. I still do not see a way to aggregate securities in different accounts. It also lets you update all accounts at once. Have not tried that yet. Seems a free upgrade.

DavidScubadiver said: For those using moneydance, they updated to a 2010 addition which is a bit more usable in terms of reports. I still do not see a way to aggregate securities in different accounts. It also lets you update all accounts at once. Have not tried that yet. Seems a free upgrade.
Been using it for a few weeks. I am a former MS Money user who still wanted downloads. Why it has still yet to have all of the features I really used in Money, the newest version was a step closer.

Question, can you use moneydance to automatically check the current balances on all accounts? I mostly use Yodlee just to make sure no one is siphoning money from my plethora of accounts, but I'd prefer to have something that runs on my own computer instead of a server.

I don't know what I would do if Yodlee discontinued service...I'd probably not even be able to remember some of the accounts I have because although I try to keep getting paper statements some banks won't send them without charging a fee (like penfed).

Mr. Teeth, I believe you have to tell it to check the accounts. It will not do it automatically like Yodlee. I suggest doing an export of your Yodlee accounts or a screenshot so you have a hard copy of the accounts you own. I do not care about the ones that have a few bucks in them because its not worth the hassle to an executor to locate and control an account worth under $100.

Can someone post some feedback on Moneydance vs Quicken. I am a current MS Money user (edition 2006 I believe) and I think it's time to make the switch. I would need Quicken Deluxe I believe to manage my stocks and mutual funds. Any feedback would be helpful.

DavidScubadiver said: Mr. Teeth, I believe you have to tell it to check the accounts. It will not do it automatically like Yodlee. I suggest doing an export of your Yodlee accounts or a screenshot so you have a hard copy of the accounts you own. I do not care about the ones that have a few bucks in them because its not worth the hassle to an executor to locate and control an account worth under $100.

Perhaps I exaggerated a bit when I said I wouldn't remember some of the accounts. The real problem is that if Yodlee discontinues their service I wouldn't be able to continue to track and maintain all my accounts...particularly the passwords and login procedures which are becoming more and more complex every year.

This is a problem especially credit card accounts or deposit accounts with overdraft which can't be ignored just because of low balances. Moreover I have many accounts with potentially profitable unique features which I try to keep open so I need to be able to keep track of the last time I made activity (or at least see if I'm being charged inactivity fees).

When you say you have to tell Moneydance to check the accounts do you mean you actually need to log in to the banks and manually download the files or do you mean you can only automatically update one bank at a time? Because Moneydance is apparently scriptable so making it update all accounts should not be difficult if it can't easily update one account.

The 2010 edition supposedly lets you do all accounts at once. Have not done that yet. For those that dont work and there ard some, at least you can log on and download Quicken or money files and it reads them fine. A word of warning however, the conversion of years of Quicken or money data can take a long time to clean up. And the reporting on investments is not as robust. I do not believe you can easily view your investments by security, only by account.

DavidScubadiver said: The 2010 edition supposedly lets you do all accounts at once. Have not done that yet. For those that dont work and there ard some, at least you can log on and download Quicken or money files and it reads them fine. A word of warning however, the conversion of years of Quicken or money data can take a long time to clean up. And the reporting on investments is not as robust. I do not believe you can easily view your investments by security, only by account.

But your bank needs to support Quicken OFX direct connections right? Many banks charge for this and many credit card issuers don't offer it.

I'm really not interested in aggregation/analysis as much as simply monitoring open accounts for cleared payments/deposits, unexpected fees, and unauthorized transactions. So I think I'm going to stick with Yodlee for now and if they ever stop offering the service then I can always make my own scripts to download the updated ofx files to use in any number of softwares. I'm not exactly happy about having all my financial information on the web, but I figure the risk is low because the service enables me to monitor everything so easily.

Thanks for your input.

mrteeth said: Question, can you use moneydance to automatically check the current balances on all accounts? I mostly use Yodlee just to make sure no one is siphoning money from my plethora of accounts, but I'd prefer to have something that runs on my own computer instead of a server.

I don't know what I would do if Yodlee discontinued service...I'd probably not even be able to remember some of the accounts I have because although I try to keep getting paper statements some banks won't send them without charging a fee (like penfed).

Yes and no. The newest edition has a feature that, with a single click, will download transactions for all accounts. However they do not have the ability (or rather not all banks have accounts setup in such a way that allows Moneydance to connect to) all of them. I believe it is called a Direct OFX connection. Almost all of my major credit cards do, but there are several online savings accounts that do not (Alliant Credit Union, ING, HSBC, to name a few).

Also, moneydance supports qif files, the original Quicken files that Quicken no longer supports. Pretty sure for those files you have to manually download from the bank itself. But they open right up in moneydance and go into the appropriate account once you tell it what that account is. Its quite good at that.

so Quicken online decided to completely shut it down and switch everything over to mint a few weeks ago? i switched from mint to Q-online because of a regional bank of mine being in the q-online list but not on mint. why could they have not transfered everything over?!?

Unfortunately, this is the risk we take when relying on "web based" financial programs. I was very fond of cakefinancial.com for tracking my investment performance and one day, they simply shut down and prevented any access to any data that was on the site. Obnoxious practices are just that, obnoxious. If you own the software you are less likely to get spanked. I am pleased with moneydance and having access to my data on both my mac at home and my pc at work.

You know, I've seen this thread in other places and have never been happy with the results... Money had a cash flow chart that so far, none of the free options online seem to have. I could see where I'd be in 6 months, or 2 years very easily based on my budget.

I tried Yodlee today and had issues with banks that worked with Mint. Go figure.

Any thoughts? I'm still searching.. Yodlee has a stupid interface imo, compared to mint, and Wesabe is even worse. I need a cash flow graph to predict future saving/spending...

I dunno..........Bank of America "My Portfolio" works very well for me.

wsailor said: any of you have issues adding your household or orchardbank credit card to either mint or yodlee? I am trying to see which one works better for me. I cannot add household credit card to either, but am able to add to the fidelity fullview, which lacks the reporting capability.

I have orchard bank on mint, it works good, and mint is nice because it alerts me every time orchard bank charges me a fee of any kind. This saved me a month ago when a check payment by phone failed to go through (numbers on check were not in same order as numbers on their automated system), I was able to call and get everything fixed before it became a catastrophe!

I use Quicken 2010, which does not support the QIF format available with many of my accounts. Does anyone use a CSV to OFX converter? And if so, which one do you recommend?

I tested out the BigRed Product, but would like to find something that costs less than $60

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014