• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
There are now more than a handful of these services but many of the FWF threads about them are archived. Please post links, your experiences and opinions here so that we may all benefit.

See Quick Summary for updated information.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I have used the moneydance iphone app. It is nice because it wirelessly syncs to the desktop everytime you open the app ... (more)

DavidScubadiver (Apr. 27, 2010 @ 8:53a) |

These have been used in Europe for a long time.

I don't really understand why it isn't an option in the US...same reason... (more)

drieendertig (Apr. 27, 2010 @ 10:25a) |

It's not clear the extra hassle is worth it. I would rather avoid getting a keylogger in the first place.

And I can only ... (more)

czarandy (Apr. 27, 2010 @ 10:43a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

Stand-Alone/Web Based
Yodlee MoneyCenter FWF Thread
Mint.com FWF Thread
Quicken Online
JustThrive.com FWF Thread
Wesabe.com
Buxfer.com
MoneyStrands.com (bought Expensr.com)
Rudder.com
Geezeo.com

Through Banks/Partners
American Express Money Manager.
Bank of America My Portfolio
Chase Online Plus
Compass Bank's MyCompass
EverBank Online Financial Center.
Fidelity Full View
FWF Thread that mentions services available through bank websites.
UMonitor.com's UView though various credit unions.

Stand-Alone/Desktop Software
Quicken
MS Money
Moneydance
GNUCash

Archived FWF Thread on Financial Aggregation

Tool: mint.com
Experience: 2 weeks
Opinion: I enrolled for only couple weeks but liking it so far. Unfortunately, the site does not seem to work with Penfed. Everything else works great though.

I've used Mint since March 2008 and have been quite happy. It's great for at a glance looks at spending/trends although I still find myself checking the actual sites (bank/credit card/etc.) to check various items. I also limit the sites I "attach" to it because I still have some paranoia of information on the internet whether it be password "leakage" or just information sharing by a bad employee.

I've used Mint for a couple of months and for the most part love it. It works for every account I've tried (including Penfed). If only they would add some printing options, the ability to input cash transactions, and better investment cost information then it would be perfect!

Mint's PenFed problem must be temporary, because it certainly worked for me. I think it's great for someone with simpler finances and needs. iPhone app is pretty cool, and some investment charts are pretty cool as well.

I need desktop Quicken (been using for many years) to keep track of all kinds of things. I've tried MS Money a couple times over the years but didn't "feel" it.

I've used Yodlee for the last couple of months. So far, the only problem has been linking my dollar savings direct account. For some reason it just doesn't want to link correctly. Otherwise, no problems what so ever.

I use Mint

I use both Mint and Yodlee.

Mint:
- Excellent user interface. Excellent charts to track spending
- iPhone app
- Does an okay job identifying/labeling transactions
- Cannot aggregate bills

Yodlee
- Can aggregate bills
- Does a much better job identifying/labeling transactions
- User interface not as great as Mint

I use both in hopes that either Mint will start doing a better job identifying transactions and aggregating bills OR yodlee improves it's user interface.

I have been using Yodlee probably since it was released and I love it. Truthfully I could probably not function without it. I tried Mint when it first came out and didn't like it too much, but I haven't been back since. I think the reason I like Yodlee so much is because they had a dedicated person answering questions on FWF thread. Keep in mind, this is a free service and they had someone answering all the questions. Plus, they have evolved so much that they are working hard to keep up to date.

I use clearcheckbook.com, and am happy with it. It's like mint but you enter and categorize your own transactions. I do it once a month and it takes me about 10 mins.

I liked mint ok, but I wanted to be able to enter other assets, they didn't have one of my banks AND I'm afraid they will eventually be hacked/some employee will get their laptop stolen.

I use yodlee, mostly because it's the only one I know about. I really like it, but it can be buggy at times. I like how it allows you to customize just about anything as well as manually fixing anything that's wrong.

Yodlee. Mint is lacking too many important features such as manual transactions or manual accounts that are critical for me to be able to use the service.

I use mint and since I don't have many assets its an easy way to track my various CCS. Not being able to enter manual transactions or cash transactions is a pain but otherwise very helpful in tracking my money ( and that I was spending too much going out)

I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone say anything about just thrive. Maybe it's just too new. But their security methods alone are what have my interests peaked above Mint, and the others. The "free advice" and scoring systems are interesting too.

I've used Yodlee for 2 years+. Before that I used BAC "My Portfolio", but I figured why not go to the source.

I like the simple straightforward layout of Yodlee. I have no use for the eyecandy and useless clutter on Mint. The back end is Yodlee anyway. Also, I have no desire to have my information used for marketing purposes or be subjected to marketing. Yodlee doesn't do this. Mint and others mentioned do.

In the 2+ years of using Yodlee, I have experienced few problems and they were all during the first year. Forum support took care of them promptly. It's been smooth running for me ever since that first year.

I would hate to go back to the days before Yodlee. It's saved me a lot of time and effort.

Ryan431101111 said: I think the reason I like Yodlee so much is because they had a dedicated person answering questions on FWF thread. Keep in mind, this is a free service and they had someone answering all the questions. Plus, they have evolved so much that they are working hard to keep up to date.

That impressed me too. Their own forum was fairly responsive too. You don't see many large corporations providing that level of service, let alone for free.

I use the Fidelity Full View, which IIRC is Yodlee

Blieb said: I use the Fidelity Full View, which IIRC is Yodlee

As do I. I believe it is an older version of the Yodlee interface, which is fine by me.

+1 for Yodlee

Yodlee allows you to auto-login to your accounts and thus have full access to your bank account. I don't like that. If someone gets into your Yodlee account, everything in there is compromised.

Mint is a read-only service. If someone gets into your Mint account, they can only see your financial situation, they can't edit it.

Is there some option to make Yodlee read-only? That's much less risk than what it is now.

walletfart said: Yodlee allows you to auto-login to your accounts and thus have full access to your bank account. I don't like that. If someone gets into your Yodlee account, everything in there is compromised.

Mint is a read-only service. If someone gets into your Mint account, they can only see your financial situation, they can't edit it.

Is there some option to make Yodlee read-only? That's much less risk than what it is now.

I know that in fidelity full-view (the older version of Yodlee) you can set it up so that account auto-login is disabled. Full view will still send you to the bank's website, but you will have to provide log in credentials (password, username)

efficacyman said: walletfart said: Yodlee allows you to auto-login to your accounts and thus have full access to your bank account. I don't like that. If someone gets into your Yodlee account, everything in there is compromised.

I know that in fidelity full-view (the older version of Yodlee) you can set it up so that account auto-login is disabled. Full view will still send you to the bank's website, but you will have to provide log in credentials (password, username)

You can turn it off but you can turn it right back on. It would only work if permanently disabled.

any of you have issues adding your household or orchardbank credit card to either mint or yodlee? I am trying to see which one works better for me. I cannot add household credit card to either, but am able to add to the fidelity fullview, which lacks the reporting capability.

Thanks to all those who responded. After a few hiccups, I finally got Yodlee to aggregate all my accounts.

Regarding www.justthrive.com (Thrive): Nice to see us getting some coverage on FatWallet: after all the years I've been lurking on the forums and taking advantage of deals, it is nice to finally say "Hey, I work for this company." I'm the Lead Scientist at Thrive: if you've got questions or feature request or support issues, feel free to let me know and I'll take a stab at them.

I am currently using yodlee, but im considering deleting all my accounts, changing the passwords on all of my financial accounts, and then deleting my yodlee account. I realize that the login process is "secure" but I want a more secure login. I want something that not even a keylogger could infiltrate. Some banks have started using the "RSA SecurID" tag things that you put on your keychain and it generates a new integer every 15 seconds or so. You you type in your username and password and then type in the digits currently displayed on your tag. This way a person needs to know your username and password AND have possession of your tag generator.

If someone shows me an account aggregator with this level of security. I'm sold.

I'm too paranoid to pull the trigger on online sites. What is the best offline application? I've tried using Quicken but the app is so slow. I might just stick with Excel or Google Docs to keep track of my finances.

Excel FTW here, although I occasionally play with mint and MS Money just to see if I can stop rolling my own. Getting automatic data input is nice. It's just that I don't like to monitor as much as I like to analyze decisions, so I'm always going back to Excel anyway.

Leland said: Excel FTW here, although I occasionally play with mint and MS Money just to see if I can stop rolling my own. Getting automatic data input is nice. It's just that I don't like to monitor as much as I like to analyze decisions, so I'm always going back to Excel anyway.

Me too. I'm trying Mint again because Alliant CU is now accessible, but there are some other accounts I can't get to or that report funny. (Chase business cards, for instance, report the business line and the individual card, so the amount owed is twice what it should be.)

So I wind up using my old spreadsheet at the end of the month anyway. I think Mint will be a nice one-stop shop to get (most) account balances, but the summary data won't be useful.

I've used Yodlee for the past 1.5 years. It beats using an Excel document. For transactions in which I need to record manual transactions (such as an HSA), I use Google Docs.

I use Quicken but I enter all of my transactions manually. That forces me to check for false charges.

I know this post is old , but I am starting to like yodlee.. Reason being Quicken seems to take for ever to log on.

I have been using Yodlee for a few months. Mainly using it to keep track of my many rewards accounts and my miscellaneous banking accounts. I am not trusting enough to link the accounts from my main financial institution or my investment accounts. I use excel to track the overall financial picture.

https://www.cakefinancial.com they do a good job tracking total return on an investment (i.e., including dividends to generate an accurate IRR) but don't load as many accounts as yodlee.

I am signed up with Min.com and while it has some stuff I like, it seems to be missing one important piece (or I am doing something wrong).

I want a site that pulls all of my banking information on my primary account and tells me the categories that i spent my money on. I have numerous accounts at the same bank, and I only want information on one account there.

Is there a way to delete all accounts at a bank on Mint except the one you want?

i see a delete button, but it appears to be for all of the accounts there, not just the one I want to look at.

Thanks

chocula said:
Is there a way to delete all accounts at a bank on Mint except the one you want?

Not that I have found.

The way I do it is to use separate categories for expenses that I don't want to see in my main budget. E.g. business expenses don't have a budget on the first page but for transactions from my business checking account I categorize them as such; when I want to review them I look at only that category in the transactions view.

Mint is pretty good but limited in various ways, including the one you mention.

kewo said: I use both Mint and Yodlee.

Mint:
- Excellent user interface. Excellent charts to track spending
- iPhone app
- Does an okay job identifying/labeling transactions
- Cannot aggregate bills

Yodlee
- Can aggregate bills
- Does a much better job identifying/labeling transactions
- User interface not as great as Mint

I use both in hopes that either Mint will start doing a better job identifying transactions and aggregating bills OR yodlee improves it's user interface.

Ditto. At the end of the day, yodlee wins it for me. I've been with them for 3 years.

for people who don't know this yet...

Mint, Bank of America Portfolio - uses Yodlee as back-end - when you add account in Mint, it goes through Yodlee. None of your passwords are stored at Mint, they are stored at Yodlee actually.

Guess what, E*Trade Instant Account Verification is powered by Yodlee
Scottrade Money Direct transfers are powered by Yodlee

Many other banks has their systems powered by Yodlee in someway other other.

What I gather so far about why Yodlee don't market itself like Mint does, is because they are not focused on retail - their customers are big banks and financial institutes and they want to keep it that way.

@chocula: Mint sells your data as a way of funding themselves - why would they want to let you remove an account? Less data for them to sell.

Skipping 46 Messages...
drieendertig said: These have been used in Europe for a long time.

I don't really understand why it isn't an option in the US...same reason we don't (usually) get our pictures on debit/credit cards I guess.

It's not clear the extra hassle is worth it. I would rather avoid getting a keylogger in the first place.

And I can only imagine the fun when every single bank starts using RSA tokens, and you have to juggle 12 of them...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014