• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
As I'm moving towards all electronic for storing my records, I came across a scenario that gave me
an idea for a thread that I think everyone could benefit from (if the quick summary stays fairly well maintained).

I currently scan all my receipts, then discard them except for the ones I need for return/warranty purposes. I figured copies are all I'll need for disputes on any non-returnable item.

I would like to start discarding all my receipts and eliminate one more piece of clutter that I need to sort through again at a later date.

I would like to use the quicksummary to keep track of stores that will allow a return with either a copy of the receipt or without any receipt such as by swiping the credit card used.

By avoiding stores that require original receipt, I expect to save time and reduce clutter. A simple scan of the receipt and I'll be able to return exchange anything easily.

I'm starting with three categories

1. "Original Card Only".
Here I would like to list stores that will process a return or exchange with only the original
card used being presented. For those unfamiliar, stores like Home Depot will scan the item being returned, swipe your card, then refund the money to your account. Some stores are not as efficient as Home Depot and need to browse through your transaction history, but I would still like to list them here. If you have a copy of your receipt, then it shouldn't be too difficult to find your transaction.

2. "Copy of Receipt Acceptable".
Here I would like to list stores that will process a return with just a copy of the receipt. Many stores maintain your transaction history and will process a return as long as they can find your transaction in their system. If the barcode must be scannable, please note.

3. "Original Receipt Required"
Here I would like to list stores that require an original receipt (so I can start avoiding them mostly). Please don't list small, local stores. Let's keep it to the national (or even large regional) chains so it's useful to the most people.

edit 01/25:
My thoughts on Store Credit.
Store Credit is a huge compromise we could avoid by retaining that original piece of paper, or better yet, by shopping at a store that allows us to get our original money back without it. Store Credit tends to be at the lowest selling price which may be less than you gave the store. Store Credit should be a last resort.

The other consideration is for damaged returns. Most stores that only allow store credit for items that they can resell. I'd rather buy the exact same item at Home Depot or WalMart where I know I can exchange it without the original receipt should it fail to function correctly. Even though I was still saving those original receipts, it still takes time to find it.

If anyone wants to add comments next to the stores that give store credit for returns without proof of purchase, feel free to do so, but I would think that most FWers would already be avoiding stores that don't even do that much in today's competitive environment.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I don't know.
I saw the posts about Macys and I have found them one of the worst stores to make a return without a receip... (more)

debranator (Jan. 31, 2009 @ 2:51a) |

One more thing about Wal-Mart. Ther cash office behind the service desk has and can look up a transaction weeks if not ... (more)

nativeamericansaver (Feb. 09, 2009 @ 6:28p) |

Both Staples and Officemax will give you store credit without a receipt for whatever the current price is.

BamAlmighty (Feb. 09, 2009 @ 10:42p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This is in the finance forum because?

The hardware store in "Garden State".

I think another category should be added:

4. Drivers License
Will allow no receipt return for in-store credit or exchange, but limits that number (usually to 3) by identifying you through your drivers license.

I have seen this used in places such as Wal-Mart and Kohls.

Are you limiting this to cash refunds? Because alot of retailers will allow returns for store credit with nothing more than some form of ID (and sometimes not even that).

Absolut9 said: I think another category should be added:

4. Drivers License
Will allow no receipt return for in-store credit or exchange, but limits that number (usually to 3) by identifying you through your drivers license.

I considered including that category, but decided against it because I could have avoided the whole store credit mess by continuing to retain the original receipt.

I was trying to build on previous threads that helped other FWers decide how to simplify their paperwork/recordkeepping.

Being able to return only for store credit is too much of a compromise for me and I would rather retain the original receipt. Being able to return for a full refund AND discard the original means I'm not compromising myself and I've simplified my life.

If you feel enough people would be interested in that type of list, feel free to add it OR you could even just list the store under the third category and add a comment that they will exchange for store credit.

Personally, I would like to simplify my life and avoid stores that end up in the third category (especially for major purchases).

I updated the title to state "Refund" to be more clear. Sorry for the confusion.

The original CC is all that is needed at Macy's so long as a Macy's CC was used.

(Updated Quick Summary)

I added some links to FW Threads related to going paperless.

Costco does not require a receipt or the card. They track your purchases anyway, so they xref against your purchase history.

Nevermind. Had some suggestions where they issued store credit with nothing at all, but that's not what you're looking for.

Bloomingdales probably has the same policies as Macy's (same parent company), but I have not verified this.

Lowes and Target do credit card refunds. I know because I buy a ton of clearance there.

mannyv said: Costco does not require a receipt or the card. They track your purchases anyway, so they xref against your purchase history.
That's good, because I'd hate to think someone was compiling a list to make fraudulent returns...

I don't mean to threadjack, but does anyone have recommendations for a receipt scanning system for Mac? I'm contemplating the Neat Receipts system (only $146 on Amazon), but some sites say that it's a great system, but you're locked into their proprietary software. Thoughts? Any other good systems similar out there?

I'd rather buy a receipt-scanner than simply use a big flatbed scanner because I simply don't have the space. I need to do something about all of the clutter I have around here.

Lowes can do refunds from cc#'s, checking account #'s and phone #'s for cash sales(they now ask for phone # with a cash purchase).
Macy's puts a transaction # on every item sold, they can refund to the original card using this #.

Circuit City used to look up transactions from CC's and Phone#'s but that is moot now.

I try to buy as much stuff from Costco as possible since they'll take anything back with simply your membership card.

ltcm said: I don't mean to threadjack, but does anyone have recommendations for a receipt scanning system for Mac? I'm contemplating the Neat Receipts system (only $146 on Amazon), but some sites say that it's a great system, but you're locked into their proprietary software. Thoughts? Any other good systems similar out there?

I'd rather buy a receipt-scanner than simply use a big flatbed scanner because I simply don't have the space. I need to do something about all of the clutter I have around here.

I've been using a Fujitsu ScanSnap S510. I haven't been using the ScanSnap Organizer yet, but I've read others have had great success with it making searchable PDF's.

I do scan all my receipts with it and haven't really had any problems (some longer receipts I have to hold for a second so they don't feed on an angle).

Add another category: membership card (Costco & REI -- no receipt required, give you cash or credit card refund).

Great idea for a thread! I'll start keeping track so that I can contribute

About the original credit card thing, you might have issue if, oh., somebody hijacks your card number and tries to buy crap at WalMart.com at 3 in the morning and the credit card company kills the card that day and reissues you a new number. And yes, I had that issue. Just my 1.5 cents.

I have returned items (even across state lines) at WalMart with only the original card before. There may be a time limitation on that though.

Nordstroms accepted a christmas return without any receipt, they are known for this

Kohls will accept the copied receipt most likely assuming they could find the transaction in their system. Slight chance you would have to talk to a manager, but i doubt if that would even be necessary (If the receipt printing fails the managers can reprint receipts and do it on regular paper so i would assume they would take a copy... how would they even tell it was you copying and not a register failure and the manager printed it out for you).

Also you don't even need the receipt. As long as its on a CC they can look up the transaction up to a year later though just make sure they have the correct UPC to look it up with. If your returning things older than that then something is wrong.

Without a receipt or being able to look it up they will require a license to return and you may not get what you paid for it back.

Absolut9 said: I think another category should be added:

4. Drivers License

Warning! When you allow your license to be scanned, you are giving away EVERY piece of encoded data: SSN, DoB, digital image (if it's barcoded), address, height, medical conditions, etc., etc., etc..

If a bar wants to confirm your age for admission, let them read your DoB off your card. If a store wants to enter you into a database to prevent abuse of return privileges, let them write down your license number only and not scan your card.

If they tell you that they only collect your name and license number, do not believe them. The hardware and software (many companies offer scanners and software to retailers) is capable of reading and storing everything. An employee might honestly believe that they only collect or keep your license number but once your info is scanned and collected, it's in their computers.

They do not tell you in advance "I need to scan your license." They might say, "May I see your license, please?" and then --- whoosh! --- they run it through a scanner beyond your reach before you can grab it back.

Put electrical tape over the 1-D and 2-D barcodes on your license to prevent them from scanning your license when you least expect it.

States supposedly regulate how banks and retailers can use Drivers' License Info. It used to be "to verify someone's ID": look at picture, look at person; look at name on license, look at name on documents. Some states at one time banned the collection and storage of License ID Numbers.

If you thought the theft or abuse of CC info was a problem, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

The places that collect this data are less regulated than banks and credit card companies. Some places have NO security over who can access the computer where the info is stored. There have been instances of ID theft and other crimes. (E.g., bar employees have looked up info about patrons and stalked or otherwise harassed them. Disgruntled employees have stolen info to perpetrate crimes.)

Fight License Scanning!

Glitch99 said: Are you limiting this to cash refunds? Because alot of retailers will allow returns for store credit with nothing more than some form of ID (and sometimes not even that).

I second that. I have never had to keep an Item if I did not have a receipt. I will get a Store card and spend it later !!!

Pier One can look up your receipt by date and will even make a copy for you. I am not sure sure if the time frame is limited. I personally returned within a month, but without my receipt.

ltcm said: I don't mean to threadjack, but does anyone have recommendations for a receipt scanning system for Mac? I'm contemplating the Neat Receipts system (only $146 on Amazon), but some sites say that it's a great system, but you're locked into their proprietary software. Thoughts? Any other good systems similar out there?

I've used Shoeboxed before. Very good reviews and offers a free trial for all users.

https://start.shoeboxed.com/Register

Trader Joe's.

OP, I dont know what kind of clutter you have. How many reciepts do you keep? I have one shoebox that I keep all mine in, alphabetically by store name. It doesnt take up much room, and it is alot easier than scanning them.

Kohls lets you return without a receipt. They either look it up from your Kohls card or give you a store credit.

I added Borders to the receipt required, though I'm not sure if they would accept a copy.

(Also, about 3 weeks ago, I did get a gift card for a receipt-less return (Xmas gifts), but I think the guy was just being nice. An absurd policy in my mind, since these were unopened DVDs with a Borders sticker on them. All I know is I won't be buying gifts at Borders in the future.)

Added Barnes & Noble. They require a receipt for all returns, including gifts. Found this out the hard way when trying to return a crap gift book that I didn't want cluttering up my house, but the person who gave it to me didn't save the receipt. Going to donate it to my local library.

GameStop offers in-store credit for games (in original packaging) without receipt. I ended up returning a game I bought from Amazon but never played. They credit you the cost of the game + sales tax so I actually ended up $4.50.

Girlfromdublin said: Kohls lets you return without a receipt. They either look it up from your Kohls card or give you a store credit.

They can look up any credit or debit card. Not just the Kohls card.

Lowes and Home Depot allow quite a few returns without receipt if you give them a license, and tell them you purchased the item with a gift card (or cash too I assume).

Not sure where you want that in the quick summary, so i'll let OP decide

Williams-Sonoma will accept a return without a receipt required, but they will only give you the last available price the item sold at. As Williams-Sonoma has a lifetime return policy, most items get marked down to 99 cents when no longer available/being sold.

Their return policy is as follows: If for any reason, at any time you are unhappy with your purchase from Williams-Sonoma, please return it for a full-refund.

They do accept copies of the receipt, although there isn't an official policy on it. It's best to keep all your receipts and copy them as the ink does vanish after a few years, but they will give you full price back on any item even after 20 years.

No reciept - just original card
Bloomingdales
lord and taylor

Babies R Us - Original Card

You also don't need a receipt at Coldwater Creek. They will give you the current price on a store credit card. If you do have the receipt, they will issue you a full refund "forever."

Skipping 8 Messages...
Both Staples and Officemax will give you store credit without a receipt for whatever the current price is.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014